[mod.computers.vax] 3-d molecule graphics

ACRC0008@UNLVM.BITNET (Gerald Kutish) (01/23/87)

Has anyone heard of the following 3-dimensional molecular graphics
software packages and their distributors:

1.  BIOCHEM       from a California company

2.  CHEM-X        from England

Thanks

Gerald Kutish,   ACRC0008@UNLVM.BITNET
Univ. Nebraska   402-472-5220

dap@CGL.UCSF.EDU.UUCP (02/03/87)

In article <8701231653.AA12387@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> ACRC0008@UNLVM.BITNET (Gerald Kutish) writes:

>Has anyone heard of the following 3-dimensional molecular graphics
>software packages and their distributors:
>
>1.  BIOCHEM       from a California company
>
>2.  CHEM-X        from England
>
>Thanks
>
>Gerald Kutish,   ACRC0008@UNLVM.BITNET
>Univ. Nebraska   402-472-5220

Until recently, I was at one of the companies who are marketing 3-d molecular
modeling software (Biosym).

The commercial sources of such software are:

Program    Company    Address
_______    _______    _______

Insight    Biosym Technologies--San Diego, CA (619)458-9990
Biograph   Biodesign  Pasadena, CA
Chem Lab   Molecular Design Limited--Harward, CA
Chem-X     c/o Keith Davies, Oxford, England
Hydra      Polygen   Waltham, MA
Macromodel c/o Clark Stills (at Eastern US university; don't recall which one)

I always get confused about the Chem Lab/Chem-X sitution (i.e. which company
markets which product under which name...), but the suppliers are correct.

Insight, Biograph and (I think) Macromodel are designed to run on
a VAX/VMS + E&S PS300 setup. Hydra runs on a workstation (Sun, I think).
All four programs are designed for use with macromolecules (as well as small
ones). Chem Lab and Chem-X are designed mostly for small molecules and
work on a standard graphics device (Tektronix 4014 sort of thing) connected
to VAX (and maybe other types of computers).

Most of the companies offer academic discounts. Insight is about $2500.00
(commercial price=$25,000), and is pretty good (although I worked there,
I say this objectively). Last I heard, Biodesign did *not* offer a
academic discount.

If your're going to get something, check around. If you contact
Biosym, tell `em I referred you (I won't get anything for it, but
they might be suprised).

Write me if you need more info.

--
				                 David A. (DAP) Pearlman

"And all this science I don't understand
 It's just my job five days a week" -- B. Taupin