[mod.computers.vax] OCCAM FOR VMS NAD MSDOS

mark@ntsc-74.UUCP.UUCP (02/03/87)

> Date:    Mon, 02 Feb 87 15:13 CST
> From:    Daniel Keizer     <BUSU@UOFMCC>
> To:      VAX forum         <info-vax@sri-kl.arpa>
> Subject: OCCAM for VMS or MSDOS
>
> I am relaying a message for someone else concerning OCCAM.
> He is interested in hearing from others who have had experiences with
> this language or anyone interested in it.  The product is registered
> with INMOS Ltd.  If there are any implementations running or those with
> experience, I am sure he would be interested in hearing from you.
>
> As a side note ... does anyone know of the mailing/email address
> for INMOS Ltd. (based in England?)
> Thanks for all the time.
> Dan Keizer
> BUSU@UOFMCC.BITNET

I attended a briefing this morning given by INMOS engineer Dave Auld (home
base in Boston) about the OCCAM language and its use on the Transputer.

According to the product description literature he left, a product called
IMS D600  is available which allows development of OCCAM programs for both
VMS and for downloading to a transputer system. It has a fully integrated
editor and development toolset, source-level development (debugging?), and
hierarchical program structure with separate compilation. It runs on all
VAX-11/7xx and MicroVax systems (I assume 8000 series as well) running version
3+ of VMS.

That's what the books says. What the engineer says is that that package
runs what's known as OCCAM-1, which doesn't include support for floating
point numbers. Also, he says that a new release of the package won't compile
OCCAM for execution on a VAX, but only for downloading to a transputer (i.e.
a cross-compiler). It will, however, have support for full OCCAM.

A similar product, the IMS D702 is available for IBM PC/XT or -AT (the key
being the hard disk) or clone (I saw it run on a Compaq). This package compiles
OCCAM for the PC or the IMS T212 16-bit transputer, and includes all the
goodies mentioned above for the VMS package.

INMOS has several addresses. Since this list is distributed worldwide, I
include them all.

INMOS Limited              INMOS Corporation           INMOS GmbH
PO Box 424		   PO Box 16000		       Danziger Strasse 2
Bristol BS99 7DD	   Colorado Springs	       8057 Eching
UK			   CO 80935		       Munich
Telephone (0272) 290861	   USA			       West Germany
                           Telephone (303) 630 4000    Telephone (089) 319 10 28

INMOS SARL
Immeuble Monaco
7 rue Le Corbusier
SILIC 219
94518 Rungis Cedex
France
Telephone (1) 46.87.22.01

Mark Layton
Computer Scientist
Naval Training Systems Center, Code 741
Orlando, FL  32813  (USA)
ARPA: mark@ntsc-74

Standard disclaimer: No endorsement implied. My opinions are my own, not
(necessarily) Ronald Reagan's (my ultimate boss).
------