[mod.computers.vax] Gnu Emacs v 17 on VMS 4.4

KARNEY%PPC.MFENET@NMFECC.ARPA.UUCP (02/04/87)

> From:     SYSTEM@CUNYVMS1.BITNET@nmfecc.arpa
> Subject:  GNU Emacs on VMS4.4
> Date:     Tue, 3 Feb 87 21:38 EST
> Recently a user brought in GNU Emacs to be installed on our
> VAX 11/780 under VMS 4.4
> After successful installation and testing we found that the Version17
> had a minor bug vis-a-vis: While exiting and saving through C-x C-c
> it leave a line-feed or a Carriage-Return. Which was later modified
> by changing "rfm=var" to "rfm=stmls" in FILEIO.C and recompiling
> After that We could not save files using C-x C-c. It creates a file
> of the same name but of 0 records length.
> It gives errors also such as file is write-protected !!!!
> Do any one out there have any ideas ? suggestion ?
> AM Very scared to put the VERSION 18 up, before this is resolved.

We are successfully running GNU Emacs version 17.VMS-4.  Besides making the
"rfm=stmlf" change, we also changed [0,0] to [000000] in FILEIO.C.  Without
this, access checks on rooted directories fail.  This may explain the
write-protection errors you got.

                    Charles Karney
                    Karney%PPC.MFENET@NMFECC.ARPA