[net.sf-lovers] Scientologists?

pugh@topaz.ARPA (07/30/85)

From: "pugh jon%e.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA

Does anyone know what Elrond the boss elf's last name was, or what he did in
his spare time?  I had this nightmare where it was Hubbard and he was creating
a legion of elves to stand on street corners recuiting people and I'm afraid to
leave my terminal...

>Does anyone know what Elrond the boss elf's last name was, or what he did in
>his spare time?

Actually, we don't go for multiple names that way; more "son of"
and "of the house of".  And Elrond thanks you not to call him "the
boss elf"; it reminds him too much of your Chicago gangsters (we
had a narrow escape there).

What we do in our spare time is none of your business, but if you
must know, right now we're trying to figure out how to keep you
humans from wrecking the place.  Who do you think started all the
back to nature movements anyway?
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

berman@isi-vaxa (09/04/85)

From: berman@isi-vaxa (Richard Berman)

I hope this is the LAST message on Scientologists regarding Battlefield Earth.
I didn't know that SF-LOVERS was also the RBIG (Religious Bigotry Interest
Group).  I just wanna hear about SF matters -- not someone's notions about the
validity of ANY religion.  Of course, there are those who argue that all
religion is brainwashing...

I get the impression from the two or three individuals writing such messages
that they feel the Scientologists (and, no doubt, the Martians) are
EVERYWHERE!!  So keep looking behind the pictures and under the papers,
because they're here someplace...

P.S.

I did rather like Battlefield Earth.  If you didn't (or even if you did), I
don't see how this relates to Scientology.  I also like Donaldson, and I
actually felt I learned something about life and especially about the
"Despiser" from those books.  Is that brainwashing?  After all, isn't ALL
learning "brainwashing"? I hereby formally suggest the abolishment of all
forms of learning -- no, of all THOUGHT!  That's the culprit!  If only the
masses would just do as we say...

RB

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (09/04/85)

Postings on scientology are wholly appropriate to the science fiction net,
as anyone aware of both that religions history and the history of sf is
aware.  Fact:  scientology was created by a then-big-name SF writer.
Fact:  it was promoted through the editorial content of Astounding, the
magazine we know today as Analog.  Fact:  almost all its early proponents
were SF writers, including such notables as A. E. van Vogt and Donald
Kingsbury (who has since been excommunicated).  Fact:  scientological
themes run through the SF of those early days (SLAN is an example).
Fact:  Hubbard is using the Scientology organization to promote his
SF, including his novels and a new magazine.  Fact:  Authors Services
is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the Church of Scientology with the
sole mandate to promote Hubbard's own science fiction.  Fact:
Authors Services seriously considered having Scientologists stuff
the ballot box for the Hugo.

Informed discussion is not bigotry, and you do the readers of the
net and yourself a grave injury by so freely tossing around a
loaded term.

RJS