-Ike.

Date:     Tue, 27 Jan 87 09:32 EST
From: SYSMGR%nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
To: @SRI-KL.ARPA:monkey@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
Mmdf-Warning:  Parse error in original version of preceding line at RELAY.CS.NET
Subject:  RE: Emulex Maxtor drives

	We installed a Maxtor EXT-4380 drive packaged with a
	Emulex QD-21 controller into a Microvax II BA123 box.
	Emulex installed the drive in about 2 hours and I ran
	bad block checking overnight.  So far the drive has
	worked well with no problems for about 1 month.

	John Pinette
	Academic Computer Services
	Northeastern University
	Boston, Ma 02115

Date:     Thu, 29 Jan 87 23:14:41 PST
From: mse%Phobos.Caltech.Edu@DEImos.Caltech.Edu (Martin Ewing)
Subject:  maxtor drives
To: monkey@athena.mit.edu

We have a number of them (apx 6) on various uVAXes.  They run and have
caused no obvious problems.

Martin Ewing
Caltech Radio Astronomy
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 87 00:15:29 cst
From: ihnp4!wheaton!stefan@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Stefan Brandle)
To: invest!ATHENA.MIT.EDU!monkey
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax

I can't speak about the Maxtor from experience, but I've talked to people
(including some dude at Carnegie) who think they're great.  I do know that
Emulex has great support and have been very impressed by their willingness
to help even us poor folk who can't afford anything bigger than the Micropolis
hard disk.

Stefan Brandle                                 UUCP:  ihnp4!wheaton!stefan
Wheaton College                                "But I never claimed to be sane!"
---------------------------------------------- MA Bell: (312) 260-4992 ---------

Date:     Tue, 27 Jan 87 11:42:21 PST
From: carl@CitHex.Caltech.Edu (Carl J Lydick)
To: monkey@athena.mit.edu

We've been using these drives for the better part of a year without
problems.
Date: 27 Jan 87 16:33:00 EST
From: "R2D2::BRUC" <bruc%r2d2.decnet@mghccc.harvard.edu>
Subject: Emulex Maxtor drives
To: "monkey" <monkey@athena.mit.edu>

I would recommend the Emulex EMS380 system. We've had one since June
1986 and it's been largely trouble free. Since the system was installed,
we've had about 10 disk errors, all correctable. Most of these came
within the first few months, and one additional media check by the
Emulex diagnostic program made all those go away. It's also faster than
an RD53 and costs about 1/2 as much per block of storage. It has only
one drawback though, it is noisy. You can tell how busy it is with your
eyes closed.

Bob Bruccoleri
<bruc%r2d2.decnet@mghccc.harvard.edu>
------
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 87 23:58:13 EST
From: lownlab!kiely@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
To: monkey@athena.mit.edu
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax

Maxtor is a disk manufacturer separate from Emulex.
I would buy the drives from Emulex only if you are buying a new
controller also.
At lownlab, we have used two smaller Maxtor drives for two years
with no problems.
--

NAME:     James P. Kiely                USPS:   Kiely Laboratories
USENET:   ...!harvard!lownlab!kiely             P.O. Box 624
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 87 22:20:34 PST
From: ames!harvard!hscfvax!pavlov@cad.Berkeley.EDU (840033@G.Pavlov)
To: harvard!ATHENA.MIT.EDU!monkey

 In case you are not aware of this: Emulex does not manufacture disk drives;
 int does not even, like many companies, oem them and slap their name on them.
 Cost-wise, your best bet is to buy an Emulex controller (if that is what you)
 want) and the disk drive - all from a third party.

   greg pavlov, fstrf, amherst, ny

Date: Wed, 28 Jan 87 08:52:59 PST
From: "Robert N. Perry" <bobp%tektools.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
To: monkey@ATHENA.MIT.EDU

We have more than a dozen of them running in as many uVAX II's. Other than a
couple of infant mortality cases we have had absolutely NO problems with
any of them. They are a dream. This says a lot for DEC's MSCP protocol. These
devices are actually faster than the RA-81's. I think EMULEX just dropped the
price of their EMS-380 systems,too. Check with your local salesperson.
Date:    Wed, 28 Jan 87 16:05:52 PST
From: bon@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA
To: monkey%athena.mit.edu%sri-kl.arpa@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA

We have the same Maxtor drive, but with a Webster controller -- running
since last July in 2 different MicroVAXen.  No problems at all under
VMS -- it is our ONLY disk on that machine, mapped to look like 2 or 3
(I forget) separate volumes.  On the other MicroVAX we run Unix 4.3 bsd
from Mt. Xinu, and there is some problem with getting that operating
system to recognize the Maxtor.  Either Webster was not complete in
their emulation of a DEC controller, or Mt Xinu did a poor implementation
which depends on DEC-specific disk sizes or something like that.  Something
to be cautious about if you run Unix -- any Emulex product will almost
certainly run fine under VMS.

We have very good experience with Emulex products -- a low-end tape drive,
a 600 Mbyte disk, and a serial communications multiplexer, all plugged
into our 750.

Good luck.

				Bruce Bon
				Bon@JPL-VLSI.ARPA
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 87 21:29:55 pst
From: vrdxhq!verdix!sbq@seismo.CSS.GOV (Sam Quiring)
To: monkey@athena.mit.edu
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax

We've got one.  It works great.  It was kind of tough to install,
at least that's what the DEC service guy claimed.  He hacked around
quite a while at it (he was here to fix the tk-50 drive and had
time left on his service call, so he voluntered to put in the controller
and drive).  He got that sucker installed and it's been trouble free.

For only two months though.
To: monkey@athena.mit.edu
Cc: nbs@mitre-bedford.ARPA
Subject: Emulex disk subsystem for MicroVAX II
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 87 13:50:20 EST
From: Norm Sutherland <nbs@mitre-bedford.ARPA>

Ike -
	We have a VMS-based MicroVAX II with one RD53 and one Maxtor disk.
The latter is the EMS/380 subsystem purchased from and installed by Emulex,
and consists of a Maxtor 5 1/4" Winchester disk that formats to about 320 MB,
and QD21 controller by Emulex.  Current GSA-discounted price from Emulex is
about $5000 for the disk and around $400 to install.  We have had ours running
for several months, with virtually no problems.  We've made the RD53 our
system disk, and the Maxtor is our public disk.  VMS seems perfectly content.
After several conversations with our local DEC Field Service person, we have
gotten the word that this product is to be officially supported by DEC, and
have arranged DEC maintenance ($124/mo BMC).

- Norm Sutherland -