[mod.computers.vax] REMACP and MAXBUF

ABSTINE@CLVMS.BITNET.UUCP (02/07/87)

Folks:
        I am wondering if anyone might have some clues about the following:

        I am running a 780 with 16M, DECnet, etc... with all this
        memory, i thought i might as well take advantage of it by
        expanding my non-paged pool (so that there is some 600+K free
        normally) and then extend MAXBUF out past 50K. Weeelllll...
        After doing this, REMACP won't start up... it doesn't give
        any error, but just sort of never quite gets going... even
        when forced to write accounting, it doesn't terminate with any
        error, just terminates... now, i reduced MAXBUF down to 49603
        (49604 didn't work) and REMACP will start up all nice and happy...

        I haven't gone to DEC with this yet, since i thought maybe someone
        has seen something like this before. Any clues?
Art Stine
Systems Programmer
Clarkson Univ.
BITNET: ABStine@CLVMS

SBAILEY@DOMINOES.UUCP.UUCP (02/10/87)

Art Stine writes:
>i thought i might as well ...
>... extend MAXBUF out past 50K. Weeelllll...
>After doing this, REMACP won't start up... it doesn't give
>any error, but just sort of never quite gets going... even
>when forced to write accounting, it doesn't terminate with any
>error, just terminates... now, i reduced MAXBUF down to 49603
>(49604 didn't work) and REMACP will start up all nice and happy...

Weeellll...  It turns out to be a known problem.  I was talking to DEC CSC
the other day about a marginally related problem (watch what REMACP does if
you have a RT logical defined when you try to start DECnet :-) and the
first thing they asked me was "what is MAXBUF set to?"  Apparently, "large"
values for MAXBUF cause REMACP to bomb out.  Why exactly, I don't know, but
DEC told me not to run with this parameter set higher than 8192 bytes.

Further research is left as an exercise for the student...

Scott Bailey                        SBAILEY%DOMINOES.UUCP@ENGVAX.UUCP
VAX Systems Manager         or try: SBAILEY.ESGSDWCO.XEROX.COM
Xerox Corp. RE/GSD/WCO       Xerox: sbailey:ES GSD/WCO:Xerox
El Segundo, CA               Phone: (213) 333-5441

GKN@SDSC.ARPA.UUCP (02/10/87)

	From:	 Scott Bailey <SBAILEY@DOMINOES.UUCP>
	Subject: RE: REMACP and MAXBUF
	Date:	 Mon, 9 Feb 87 15:58 PDT

	Art Stine writes:
	>i thought i might as well ...
	>... extend MAXBUF out past 50K. Weeelllll...
	>After doing this, REMACP won't start up... it doesn't give
	>any error, but just sort of never quite gets going... even
	>when forced to write accounting, it doesn't terminate with any
	>error, just terminates... now, i reduced MAXBUF down to 49603
	>(49604 didn't work) and REMACP will start up all nice and happy...

	Weeellll...  It turns out to be a known problem.  I was talking to DEC
	CSC the other day about a marginally related problem (watch what REMACP
	does if	you have a RT logical defined when you try to start DECnet :-)
	and the first thing they asked me was "what is MAXBUF set to?"
	Apparently, "large" values for MAXBUF cause REMACP to bomb out.  Why
	exactly, I don't know, but DEC told me not to run with this parameter
	set higher than 8192 bytes.

	Scott Bailey
	Xerox Corp. RE/GSD/WCO

It turns out to be a lack of page file quota.  You can also exercise this
problem by setting RJOBLIM to a larger number than the default (it's 32 on
one of my VAXen).  It was a minor pain to find because REMACP is started
up /NOACCOUNTING, and it would vanish without a trace ...

REMACP is sensitive to MAXBUF because at line 188 in REMINI (fiche 372
panel D15) it grabs MAXBUF, multiplies it by RJOBLIM, and uses that
value to feed to $EXPREG to make buffers...  A quick fix is to start
REMACP up with a reasonable page file quota (the default of 8192 is pitiful).

My MAXBUF is set to 32768, and I run REMACP with a paging file quota of
16384.  I also took the /NOACCOUNTING switch off the run command in
SYS$MANAGER:RTTLOAD so I'd have some idea why REMACP croaks if and when it
does.

gkn
Arpa:	GKN@SDSC.ARPA
Bitnet:	GKN@SDSC