[mod.computers.vax] Britton Lee problem

JCOV@UORDBV.BITNET.UUCP (02/09/87)

I have a question about VMS used with the Briton Lee
data base machine.

   We have omnibase v5.0 and right now the copyin command is out
to lunch so I wrote a program to do the equivalent thing
i.e. read a file and do insert sql statements to get some
data accross.

(1) I find I get about o I/O's per second (11-780).
Its not usiing up much VAX cpu time, but it takes
forever to get the job done.  I wonder why insert is so slow
compared to copyin? If there is some legitimate reason
for this, can I do the same thing that copyin does -- even
if it is some programming, if it will speed it up by
a factor of 50 or so which seems to be the case, then its worth it.
I am using PL/I and RSQL interfact -- should I be using
precompiler and a supported  language? if so,
can I do whatever the precompiler does and fake it out?

   The I/O's I am talking about are direct I/O's which seems
to mean that it takes about 8 I/O's for each (small) record to go
accross the parallell interface.  I have seen programs
such as the one to install the software on the Britton Lee
do things much faster than that.

   After I was all finished, I tried to create a unique
index and got a duplicate key message.  Is there
anyway at that point to tell what the key is or should
I have created the index before inserting all those
records and had the program print the key?

   Any assistance would be appreciated.

   Thanks in advance.

         John Covici

forrest@cgl.ucsf.edu@blia.UUCP (02/10/87)

In article <8702092256.AA24492@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>, JCOV@UORDBV.BITNET writes:

> I have a question about VMS used with the Briton Lee
> data base machine.
>
>    We have omnibase v5.0 and right now the copyin command is out
> to lunch so I wrote a program to do the equivalent thing
> i.e. read a file and do insert sql statements to get some
> data accross.

I am in charge of VMS Host Software at Britton Lee. Unless you
are using our IDMFCOPY command to copy in data, I won't be able
to help you. Signal Technology provides many programs, such as copyin,
that are equivalent to ours. You should call Signal Technology about
your problem. (By the way, I wish you had included some sort of
address or phone number in your posting so I could reach you
directly.)

If you, or any other reader of this group, ever has any questions
about VMS-specific aspects of Britton Lee software or hardware,
I'll be glad to try help you. Please make sure you include a
mail path reachable from ucbvax. Not being a Unix person, I have
trouble figuring out how to send mail to obscure locations that
don't have ucbvax in their path.

Jon Forrest
ucbvax!mtxinu!blia!forrest
415-548-3211