[net.sf-lovers] Speaking of Tolkien. . .

allison@mitre.ARPA (09/04/85)

From: Burgess Allison <allison@mitre.ARPA>

>By the way, while we're on the subject, I'm looking for a NICE,
>preferably illustrated copy of The Hobbit or The Lord of the Rings
>to give as a wedding gift ... does anybody have information ...
>anybody know how much a first edition HOBBIT might go for?  Any other
>suggestions ... (If anyone has something they might like to sell,
>let me know, I'll think about it.)
>
>Reply to me presonally,

Except for the for-sale information, I'd appreciate it if replies to
this would go out on the net.  Either that, or maybe Chris, you could
summarize for the net.  Good illustrations, first editions, other
suggestions -- I think these are of fairly wide interest.

Thanks.
  Burgess                                                 <allison@mitre>

jimb@ISM780B.UUCP (09/05/85)

	At last year's WorldCon, I saw a first edition of The Hobbit; asking
price was at *least* $1,000.  It might have been $5,000.  I walked away
boggled.

-- from the bewildered musings of Jim Brunet

		  decvax!cca!ima!jimb

		  ucbvax!ucla-cs!ism780!jimb