[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V10 #346

BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA (09/04/85)

From: Bard Bloom <BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA>

> From: hyper!brust@topaz.rutgers.edu (Steven Brust)
> One test of literature that I'm particularly fond of is: how long is
> the author remembered?  This isn't one hundred percent; not matter
> how hard I try I cannot convince myself that Cooper was writing
> great literature.  BUT--what writer who is remembered and, more,
> STILL READ after a hundred years failed to write stories or books
> that were fun to read?

Just to be obnoxious, the author of Pilgrim's Progress (Bunyan?  If I can't
get his name right, my claim's a lot weaker).  I've never heard of anyone
who liked Pilgrim's Progress, and I hang around English professors a lot.

Most people don't read it voluntarily, though.

Pax VAXque vobiscum,

   Bard
-------

pete@stc.UUCP (Peter Kendell) (09/06/85)

Xpath: stc stc-b stc-a

In article <3523@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA writes:
>Just to be obnoxious, the author of Pilgrim's Progress (Bunyan?  If I can't
>get his name right, my claim's a lot weaker).  I've never heard of anyone
>who liked Pilgrim's Progress, and I hang around English professors a lot.
>
>Most people don't read it voluntarily, though.

        a) Yes, Bunyan's right.

        b) I did. But I'm not an English professor.
--
	Peter Kendell <pete@stc.UUCP>

	...mcvax!ukc!stc!pete

	'Give it all you can,
	 It's much better than,
	 The prefabricated concrete coal bunker!'

	Who ? When? Answers on a postcard or stuck-down envelope.