[net.sf-lovers] How to contact authors

boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (09/06/85)

From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (JERRY BOYAJIAN)

> From: duke!crm@topaz.rutgers.edu (Charlie Martin)

> donch@teklabs.UUCP (Don Chitwood) writes:
>> Does anyone in netland know how to go about contacting her or the
>> author of one's choice?

> You can get whatever address is best used to
> write to an author by going to (or calling) your reference
> librarian.  There is a wonderful book which she will have...
> which can give you what you need.  Sometimes it is just the agent's
> address, but often it is the author's real live home address.

Two reference books that I know of that contain such information
(and that most libraries are likely to have) are:

CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS, a series of volumes (100+ at the moment)
giving biographical and bibliographical information about many
authors living and dead. Many of the entries contain addresses
for either home, office, or agent. The one caveat to this is that
any given author entry isn't updated for a good long time, so
the information *may* be out of date.

WRITERS' DIRECTORY, gives similar information, though leans
less toward the bibliographical than CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS.

There is also a series of books published by St. Martin's Press
(reprinted from a British publisher) called the Twentieth Century
Authors Series, which should also contain the same information,
though is isn't as wide-ranging as CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS. Included
in this series are:
	TWENTIETH CENTURY SCIENCE FICTION AUTHORS
	    "        "    CRIME AND MYSTERY WRITERS
	    "        "    CHILDREN'S WRITERS
	    "        "    WESTERN WRITERS
	    "        "    ROMANCE AND GOTHIC WRITERS

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"Bibliography is my business">