[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V10 #350

BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA (09/07/85)

From: Bard Bloom <BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA>

> >the other side.  It can't be intended personally, for we are all of
> >us honorable men.
>
> You obviously haven't seen the nasty mail messages I've occasionally
> received. :-)

You studied some form of literature somewhat formally, no?  Surely that
quotation doesn't need to be :-)'ed. :-)

> Those of you with long memories will recall
> that my first posting on quality and fiction predated the whole
> Davis Tucker series that seems to have upset so many people in this
> group, and was a reaction to Steve Brust's claim that most good
> writing today is issuing from the pens (word processors?) of SF
> writers. Since then, I've seen great hostility on both sides of the
> fence. So please don't mislead newcomers to this controversy by
> claiming that the initial extremity was perpetrated by an "Art
> Snob." My OWN first impressions were that the "Good-Read Snobs"
> started it; c'mon, fight like a mensch. :-)

That did seem to be the start of the 1985 season on this network.  It didn't
seem too offensive to me; it wasn't like the antipersonal and antigroup
attacks that followed it.  I don't know who started flaming offensively
first; but I imagine that the person who did didn't think she or he was
flaming offensively.  For you, it may have been Steve Brust.

And I'm trying to fight like a penguin.

Pax VAXque vobiscum, (with emphasis on the `Pax')
  Bard
-------