[mod.computers.vax] Implementations of user "Help" command.

JMS@ARIZMIS.BITNET.UUCP (02/19/87)

>From:  ARPA%"ANIEKAN%JANUS.USC.EDU@USC-OBERON.ARPA" 19-FEB-1987 06:07

>We are trying to standardize the way users get help on our systems.
>We would appreciate hearing from anyone who has implemented a portable
>and comprehensive user "help" command.  By portable I mean that I
>should be able to run it on a VAX/VMS, VAX/UNIX and TOPS20 operating
>systems with little modifications.

When I worked for CompuServe a few years ago, they ported the Bliss-32
code for the VMS Help system to their (variant of) TOPS system.  You
might try calling them and asking for Steve Wilhite, who did the original
conversion, and seeing if they've since reported to another language
(which would be more useful in a non-Digital world).

jms
| Joel M Snyder                 |             BITNET: jms@arizmis.BITNET
| Univ of Arizona Dep't of MIS  |           ArizoNET: MRSVAX::JMS
| Tucson, Arizona 85721         |    Pseudo-PhoneNET: (602) 621-2748
(std. disclaimer in re: nobody taking anything I say seriously)
"Sure looks like Plant Food to me !"   - Seymour, and Audrey II