[net.sf-lovers] The Black Widowers

boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (09/09/85)

From: boyajian%akov68.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (JERRY BOYAJIAN)

> From: orstcs!richardt@topaz.rutgers.edu (richardt)

> I thought bibliography was your business. You flubbed up. At least
> three of the 36 Black Widowers stories are sf in nature or topic
> ("The Backward Look" comes to mind).  In fact, a goodly percentage
> of the BW stories were bought by IASFM and F&SF -- I'm almost
> certain (I don't have the books handy) that F&SF + IASFM have bought
> more BW stories than EQ or any other mystery magazine!

(1) Actually, there are 52 stories in the series. Four book
collections of 12 each (TALES OF THE BLACK WIDOWERS, MORE
TALES..., CASEBOOK..., and BANQUETS...) plus four others. The
most recent story, "Triple Devil", in the August 1985 ELLERY
QUEEN'S MYSTERY MAGAZINE lists itself as #52.

(2) Out of those 52, only five have appeared in the science
fiction magazines --- three in F&SF, two in IASFM. Twelve
appeared as original stories in the collections, and 33
appeared first in EQMM. The other two I haven't tracked down
yet, but I know *for sure* that they haven't appeared in the
sf magazines. If you consider 10% to be a "goodly" percentage,
I won't argue, but the number of BW stories in EQMM outweighes
by *far* the number in the sf magazines.

(3) Of the five stories that appeared in the sf magazines,
NOT A SINGLE ONE is science fiction. I don't care where they
appeared --- they are not sf. The first, "Nothing Like Murder"
(F&SF, 10/74) is nothing more than a tribute to J.R.R. Tolkien.
Another one, "Friday the Thirteenth" (F&SF, 1/76), is a simple
mathematical puzzle involving the superstition of Friday the
13th. The other three, "Earthset and Evening Star" (F&SF, 8/75),
"The Missing Item" (IASFM, Win/77), and "The Backward Look"
(IASFM, 9/79) are simple astronomical puzzles. In the first
of the latter, the Widowers solve a crime involving someone
who designed a lunar base set for an sf movie. In the second,
they figure out a way to disprove the claim of a religious
cult leader that he's traveled to Mars via astral projection.
In the third, they help a writer come up with a motive for
an sf/mystery story he wants to write, the problem at hand
involving celestial mechanics.
	But in none of the stories appear any sf elements
except as hypothetical scenarios for the puzzles the Widowers
try to solve. None of the stories are set in a future time,
or an alternate timeline, or space, nor do they involve
technology not available to us at this time, nor do they
contain any other elements that might be considered science
fictional. They are nothing more than simple armchair detective
stories. They are meta-sf at best; no more sf than Anthony
Boucher's ROCKET TO THE MORGUE is, just because the characters
in it are sf authors. If you can present a good argument for
why they should be considered sf, I'll listen, but it'll have
to be a *real* good one.

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Acton-Nagog, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA

<"I did not flub"> and <"Bibliography *is* my business">