[mod.computers.vax] ACL and Alarm

ANK@CUNYVMS1.BITNET.UUCP (02/20/87)

>From:  ARPA%"JAC@OHIO-STATE.ARPA" 20-FEB-1987 04:08
>While the idea of having a command file that is executed everytime the modem
>is used may be reasonable.  I think it can work only if said culprit isn't
>particularly well acquainted with the system.  They used this method on one
>system I used to be on, but I found the command file, made a copy of it,
>modified it to skip the journal portion and used my own version.

I think that is a reasonable to assume that if a person can dial out using
own .COM and circumvent the protection, he should be personally asked to
go easy on the modems.

FOOLPROOF system would have to be preety-obsqure set of COMMAND PROCEDURES
and writing them should conceptually include

        1.      ACCOUNTING.DAT
        2.      ALARM
        3.      TERM.COM
        4.      NODE.LOG

and some possible way to get DEVICE STATUS information (I have not tried
to write on personally because we have no facility to dial outside the
LOCAL Bell region vis-a-vis 212, 718, 914).

        Well if somone is interested I might help out

                                                        Anil Khullar