[mod.computers.vax] VAX-IBM connections

X230GV@TAMVM1.BITNET.UUCP (02/23/87)

Regarding the query for linking VAXes to IBM machines: we have them connected
here using TCP/IP with equipment from Excelan on the VAX side and KNET
from Spartacus/Fibronics on the VM side.  After a few initial problems (which
Spartacus very quickly fixed), it works great; people on the VAX can print
using the Xerox printers attached to the IBMs, file transfer works well, etc.
although remote logins still have some glitches . . .

I can't tell you too much about the products myself, but the best sources
of info would probably be a couple of mailing lists . . . KNET-L@TAMVM1.Bitnet
for the KNET stuff, and WISCNET@TCSVM.Bitnet for Wiscnet, a public-domain
TCP/IP controller for IBM machines.

I know you requested DECnet interaction, and there is a package to get IBMs
to speak it, from Interlink --- but I'm really in the dark there!

---Glenn Vanderburg

13501ADC@MSU.BITNET.UUCP (02/23/87)

From Glenn Vanderburg:
>Regarding the query for linking VAXes to IBM machines: we have them connected
>here using TCP/IP with equipment from Excelan on the VAX side and KNET
>from Spartacus/Fibronics on the VM side.

Has anybody implemented a system whereby a person can submit a batch job
on the VAX and have it executed on the IBM using the above connections?

Alan D. Cabrera                             BITNET: 13501adc@msu
400d Computer Center
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI 48224