[net.sf-lovers] The Bradbury - Lao Connection

JAROCHA-ERNST@BLUE.RUTGERS.EDU (08/30/85)

From: Chris Jarocha-Ernst <JAROCHA-ERNST@BLUE.RUTGERS.EDU>

What your friend is probably thinking of is an anthology edited by Bradbury
that included "Dr. Lao".  In the mid-60s, when MARTIAN CHRONICLES really
took off, Bantam Books released a series of uniformly packaged Bradbury
paperbacks, including the anthology (the name of which... ).  I remember
being disappointed when I learned he only edited it, but I *loved* "Dr. Lao".

And remember "The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao" with Tony Randall as everybody?
It's been years and years, but I recall neat Jim Danforth stop-motion
animation and great make-up on Tony!  Too bad they threw in the "evil
robber baron" plotline, though...

Chris
-------

In article <3480@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> JAROCHA-ERNST@BLUE.RUTGERS.EDU writes:

>And remember "The Seven Faces of Dr. Lao" with Tony Randall as everybody?
>It's been years and years, but I recall neat Jim Danforth stop-motion
>animation and great make-up on Tony!  Too bad they threw in the "evil
>robber baron" plotline, though...

And we mustn't forget the Loch Ness Monster, complete with bagpipes....

Charley Wingate  umcp-cs!mangoe

"You want me to make a donation to the Coast Guard Youth Auxiliary!"

bukys@rochester.UUCP (09/10/85)

From: Liudvikas Bukys  <bukys>

[Sorry if I'm missing the point of the discussion.
 I don't normally read net.sf-lovers.]

If you're looking for the source of the Dr. Lao character,
it's Charles Finney Jr.'s _The_Circus_of_Doctor_Lao_.
An interesting item to note is that the author is the some
of the famous revivalist/preacher Charles Finney
(of about a century ago, maybe?).