[net.music] Godley & Creme

nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) (10/28/85)

>> I have a couple of unrelated questions to ask. A friend came over for
>> the weekend and brought along a tape with selections from an album
>> that facinated me. The album is a 3 record set called "Consequence"
>> by Kevin Godley and Lol Creme.

> [Tod Jones:] Gee, Kate Bush can say it all with only ONE disc per
> album, and she invented the headset mike! Right Doug?

Yeah, but Godley & Creme invented the Gizmo.  Certainly a very important
invention too.  In any case, I haven't heard "Consequence" because it's
very difficult to find, but Godley and Creme's "Freezeframe" is a
wonderful album.  The song "I Pity Inanimate Objects" is one of my
favorite songs of all time.  The album "Birds of Prey" is also
excellent.  I also have "L", and though I think it has much artistic
merit, I'm not so wild about it personally.  "Snack Attack" (alias
"Ismism") sucks, though, and I haven't bought their most recent album
because I can't stand "Cry".

			"And what choice for the suger cube?
			 But to drown in coffee
			 Or to drown in tea?"

			 Doug Alan
			  nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (or ARPA)

barth@tellab1.UUCP (Barth Richards) (11/05/85)

In article <227@mit-eddie.UUCP> nessus@mit-eddie.UUCP (Doug Alan) writes:

>I haven't heard "Consequence" because it's
>very difficult to find,

I heard that! I looked for several years for a copy before I found one, but it
was unquestionably worth the wait. (for me anyway) The first disc is all music,
featuring the gizmo on side one. As a matter of fact, the first side is almost
entirely gizmo, with only a few vocal, percussion, and piano parts thrown in.
The second side is also mostly gizmo, but seems to aim more at using it as part
of an ensemble. The remaining two discs contain an audio play by Peter Cook,
into which are woven additional songs. The play is hysterical on the surface,
and even more so when you start listening to some of the things going on in the
background. Absolute loonacy. The music is great as well.

>but Godley and Creme's "Freezeframe" is a
>wonderful album.  The song "I Pity Inanimate Objects" is one of my
>favorite songs of all time.

Great album too!

>The album "Birds of Prey" is also excellent.

I wasn't so impressed with BIRDS OF PREY, though I thought that "My Body The
Car" was inspired. Overall, I thought the album was ok, but not too exciting.

>I also have "L", and though I think it has much artistic
>merit, I'm not so wild about it personally.  "Snack Attack" (alias
>"Ismism") sucks, though, and I haven't bought their most recent album
>because I can't stand "Cry".

I happened to like SNACK ATTACK/ISMISM, though I can see why it might not work
for everybody, even G&C fans. The new album (HISTORY MIXES VOL. I) is
interesting, but certianly not essential. It consists of side long "beat box"
style remix/medleys of older G&D and 10cc tracks.

>			"And what choice for the suger cube?
>			 But to drown in coffee
>			 Or to drown in tea?"

                        "Maybe it's better that way