[mod.computers.vax] Alternating Ultrix and VMS on a VAXstation 2000

hamm@WAKS.RUTGERS.EDU.UUCP (02/16/87)

My query about running both Ultrix and VMS (alternately) on a single
Ethernetted VAXstation-2000 yielded an informative response from a DEC
person, which I summarize here:

1. It's possible.

2. The Ultrix V2.0 announcement did not [yet?] include support for network
   disk services, so you'd have to install Ultrix-32 (no "m" anymore) on the
   local disk.  Since there's no simple way to have Ultrix and VMS share
   the same disk [n.b. : "at least, not at the present time"], VMS would
   have to be booted over the network.

3. There might be some difficulty with the microcoded bootstrap procedure,
   since it is likely to want to boot Ultrix if it finds it. [? Is there
   no equivalent to an alternate or conversational bootstrap?]  An easy
   solution is to put Ultrix on a disk in an expansion box (where you
   could turn it off), and use the local RD32 as a paging/swapping/scratch
   disk for VMS.

4. If the VS2000 is to be part of a LAVc, the boot node has to run
   VMS V4.5c, which won't be available from the SDC until a few months
   from now.

5. There may be support issues involved here, e.g., who has the error log
   with the information on a failing hardware component?  It was suggested
   that it would probably be easiest to buy the VS2000 with Ultrix, and
   then to buy the LAVc VMS license separately.

Greg

hamm@biovax.bitnet
hamm@waks.rutgers.edu
------

grandi@seismo.CSS.GOV@noao.UUCP (02/17/87)

In article <8702161639.AA16154@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "Greg Hamm" <hamm@waks.rutgers.edu> writes:

>My query about running both Ultrix and VMS (alternately) on a single
>Ethernetted VAXstation-2000 yielded an informative response from a DEC
>person, which I summarize here:

I've just installed Ultrix 1.2a on a VAXstation II/GPX that has been
running VMS for a while.  Disk DUA0 contains VMS and DUA1 contains Ultrix.
Using the conversational bootstrap, I can boot either one and I've had no
problems (I carefully write-protect the disk that is not in use!).

The kicker is installing the software on the disks.  Since VMS was already
running (and since I'm not a VMS expert) I left VMS on DUA0 and tried to
install Ultrix on DUA1.  The bottom line is that such an installation is
impossible!  I had to move disk drive jumpers and make DUA1 be DUA0 for a
short while to complete the installation.  A real pain in the rear, and I
expect that I will have to do the same when I upgrade to Ultrix 2.0.

It would just take a small change...  Ultrix came as a bootable TK50 which
boots, then copies a small "mini-root" Ultrix system to the swap area of
the system disk which is used to initialize the system disk partitions and
to read the real system off the TK50.  The copy command asks you where to
put the mini-root (defaulting to DUA0), so it is easy to put the mini-root
on DUA1.  HOWEVER, the mini-root has hard-wired that it is running on DUA0
and crashes quickly if it is run from DUA1.  Now, the 4.2/3BSD mini-roots
ASK the user what disk they are running from, so all DEC would have to do
is restore this feature (with a proper default) and I would be happy and
the novice installer shouldn't be hurt either.
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson, AZ, 602-325-9228
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,hao,ihnp4,seismo}!noao!grandi   Internet: grandi@noao.arpa

yerazuws@CSV.RPI.EDU.UUCP (02/18/87)

In article <8702171856.AA15847@noao.ARPA>, grandi@seismo.CSS.GOV@noao.UUCP (Steve Grandi) writes:
> In article <8702161639.AA16154@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> "Greg Hamm" <hamm@waks.rutgers.edu> writes:
> >
> >My query about running both Ultrix and VMS (alternately) on a single
> >Ethernetted VAXstation-2000 yielded an informative response from a DEC
> >person, which I summarize here:
> >
> I've just installed Ultrix 1.2a on a VAXstation II/GPX that has been
> running VMS for a while.  Disk DUA0 contains VMS and DUA1 contains Ultrix.
> Using the conversational bootstrap, I can boot either one and I've had no
> problems (I carefully write-protect the disk that is not in use!).

If you're willing to physically move disks, the solution is known (and simple)
VMS can be booted from any device in the system, but Unix/Ultrix always
wants to see itself on the 0'th device.  So, put Ultrix on DUA0 and
VMS anywhere else.

I ran my AI VAXstation in this mode (Ultrix DUA0, VMS DUA1) for several
months.  It works fine.

If you run in this configuration, switching is easy.
	1) Halt.
	2) if you want ultrix, ready DUA0.  If you want VMS,
	   take DUA0 offline.
	3) Restart/Run

That's all.  Your chosen operating system will boot itself.

	-Bill Yerazunis

leonid@TAURUS.BITNET.UUCP (02/28/87)

In article <8702181410.AA09488@csv.rpi.edu> yerazuws@CSV.RPI.EDU.BITNET writes:
>If you're willing to physically move disks, the solution is known (and simple)
>VMS can be booted from any device in the system, but Unix/Ultrix always
>wants to see itself on the 0'th device.  So, put Ultrix on DUA0 and
>VMS anywhere else. ...

UNIX is not that stupid. If you want to have VMS on DUA0 and Ultrix on DUA1
and you are not willing to play with the "ONLINE" and "WRITE-PROTECT"
buttons, do the following:

Edit the file /sys/conf/SYSNAME (where SYSNAME is the configuration file
for your machine, the kernel diplayes this name when it boots),
the configuration line should look like:

config  vmunix  root on ra1 swap on ra1 dump on ra1

this menans that the UNIX will have ra1 (DUA1( as its primary disk.
Now, if you want to be ABSOLUTELY sure that while running UNIX nobody
touches your DUA0 (even superuser!) run the following commands :

        su              (become superuser)
        cd /dev
        rm ra0? rra0?

This removes the devices for DUA0 (ra0 on UNIX). Also reconfigure your
Ultrix by running /etc/config and make, and of course change the jumpers
to make your disk DUA1.

You can also invite a Unix-Guru to do it for you.

Leonid