[net.sf-lovers] Protectors and Known Space Novels

okamoto@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Okamoto) (08/26/85)

> before the Puppeteers sold the Hyperdrive to Homo Sap... quite a while later

Sorry, Peter, but the Outsiders did the actual selling of Quantum 1 hyperdrive
to us.  The puppeteers used a starseed lure on We Made It's sun to send an
Outsider ship to We Made It.

Now, for a list of Known Space Novels (in no particular order):
	Ringworld
	The Ringworld Engineers
	A Gift from Earth
	The Long ARM of Gil Hamilton
	Tales of Known Space
	World of Ptaavs
	Protector
	Down in Flames :-)

The New Number Who,
Jeff Okamoto
okamoto@BERKELEY.EDU
..!ucbvax!okamoto

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (08/28/85)

	Don't forget 'Neutron Star'.

jam@dcl-cs.UUCP (John A. Mariani) (09/03/85)

In article <10206@ucbvax.ARPA> okamoto@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Okamoto) writes:
>Now, for a list of Known Space Novels (in no particular order):
>	Ringworld
>	The Ringworld Engineers
>	A Gift from Earth
>	The Long ARM of Gil Hamilton
>	Tales of Known Space
>	World of Ptaavs
>	Protector
>	Down in Flames :-)

You seem to have missed out "Neutron Star" -- a collection of short
stories. Maybe that was only released in the UK though.

The Niven discussions have been very entertaining, and I'd like
to amplify what earlier posters have said. It would seem Niven has
"painted himself into a corner". He is now rigidly restrained in his
further stories by the Known Space framework -- and he probably feels
it is now such a complex structure he can't work with any freedom
within it. I suppose this is the ultimate fate awaiting anyone who
builds such a "Future History".

I'll get out of your way now .. thanks for reading ..

--
UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!jam
DARPA: jam%lancs.comp@ucl-cs	| Post: University of Lancaster,

scott@hou2g.UUCP (Racer X) (09/06/85)

Seems to me this "Niven has painted himself into a
corner" argument is a crock, at least from Niven's
point of view.  Why can't he write a novel or some
short stories occuring during, say, the first Man/Kzin
war?  What about some new Gil Hamilton stories?  I'm
sure these would be well received.

Certainly, he's probably constrained from furthering
the history and mythos of Known Space, but I hardly
think this prevents him from writing about it entirely.

I heard from a friend of a friend that talked to Niven
at a convention.  (Can YOU say "rumor"? I knew you could.)
He said the reason he has collaborated so much in recent
years is that he has been/is in a "dry" period, ideawise.
However, this was before "Integral Trees" which, if nothing
else, had some interesting ideas...

			Scott J. Berry
			ihnp4!hou2g!scott

michaelm@3comvax.UUCP (Michael McNeil) (09/11/85)

[Yum, yum!]

> [Scott J. Berry]

> Seems to me this "Niven has painted himself into a
> corner" argument is a crock, at least from Niven's
> point of view.  Why can't he write a novel or some
> short stories occuring during, say, the first Man/Kzin
> war?  What about some new Gil Hamilton stories?  I'm
> sure these would be well received.
>
> Certainly, he's probably constrained from furthering
> the history and mythos of Known Space, but I hardly
> think this prevents him from writing about it entirely.

I agree he probably could, but I suspect he's bored with it.

> I heard from a friend of a friend that talked to Niven
> at a convention.  (Can YOU say "rumor"? I knew you could.)
> He said the reason he has collaborated so much in recent
> years is that he has been/is in a "dry" period, ideawise.
> However, this was before "Integral Trees" which, if nothing
> else, had some interesting ideas...

*Integral Trees* certainly is interesting!  (``Dry period,''
indeed!)  I think the ``world'' of *Integral Trees* is
at least as good a world-creation idea as *Ringwood* --
particularly since *Integral Trees* was a *natural* rather
than constructed feature (and might even exist somewhere).

I talked to Larry Niven at WesterCon this last July, and he
said that he was, at that time, eleven chapters into a sequel
to *Integral Trees*!  (He said he was rewriting some of the
earlier chapters to better fill out the civilization he was
developing.)  I'm certainly looking forward to it!

The other novel which is out so far in Niven's new universe
of the State is *A World Out of Time* -- which I also found
very enjoyable.  As a vision of what might happen on Earth
over the next few *millions* of years, it was fascinating!

Michael McNeil
3Com Corporation
(415) 960-9367
..!ucbvax!hplabs!oliveb!3comvax!michaelm