[mod.computers.vax] Vax I/O

rgcote@CLS.LCS.MIT.EDU.UUCP (03/03/87)

I am trying to find out whether a VAX can handle a synchronous 4.8 Kbit
input line. We have either a VAX 750 running UNIX 4.2 BSD or a MicroVAX
II/GPX also running UNIX 4.2 BSD.  The line we will be using is a news
wire service, similar to the AP news wire and will plug into either a
DH or DZ panel (I think). We are trying to avoid using
an IBM PC as a dedicated head to pre-process the line and buffer the
the data stream before passing data to the VAX. Anyone out there
have any useful information? Thanx.

					-Rob Cote

P.S. Please e-mail response if at all possible, as I do not get to read
this bulletin board too often.

--
Rob Cote
rgcote@cls.lcs.mit.edu (Internet)                         rgcote@mit-vax.UUCP

RGCOTE@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU.UUCP (03/04/87)

-------

WITLICKI@WILLIAMS.BITNET.UUCP (03/04/87)

Rob Cote <RGCOTE@CLS.LCS.MIT.EDU> writes:
>I am trying to find out whether a VAX can handle a synchronous 4.8 Kbit
>input line. We have either a VAX 750 running UNIX 4.2 BSD or a MicroVAX
>II/GPX also running UNIX 4.2 BSD.  The line we will be using is a news
>wire service, similar to the AP news wire and will plug into either a
>DH or DZ panel (I think). We are trying to avoid using
>an IBM PC as a dedicated head to pre-process the line and buffer the
>the data stream before passing data to the VAX. Anyone out there
>have any useful information? Thanx.

   A while back I was at a site where we wanted to read a 1200 baud
news wire into a DEC 2060.  There were about 40 or so 9600 baud
terminals hardwired into the PDP 11/40 front end.  During the
midafternoon rush if N users did screen refreshes at once there
was no way the front end could keep up with the news wire input.
   Since you can't poke a control-S at the news wire you *have* to
be able to take all the characters as they come in or else throw them
on the floor.  What I ended up doing was taking an old 8K PDP 11/20
that was lying in the corner, added two serial ports, wrote about 150
lines of PDP/11 assembler and about 50 lines of Bliss code on
the 2060 (which later grew as we processed headers).
   I'm sure a 750 or a uVax II can handle the 4.8 kbit line if that's
all or almost all it's doing.  How much other I/O can it do in addition
to the news wire?... I've always had to experiment with this kind
of thing.
   A dedicated front end may *have* to be your solution if you want to
handle any sort of real interactive load.

- randy