[mod.computers.vax] Info-Vax Digest V0 #2

Info-Vax-REQUEST@SRI-KL.ARPA.UUCP (03/12/87)

Info-Vax Digest         Wednesday, 11 Mar 1987      Volume 0 : Issue 2

Special note:
    Due to an unusual backlog of info-vax messages we have decided to
    place them all together in a series of digests for more efficient
    mailing.  Please do not mail comments on the digest format to the
    info-vax list.  We anticipate returning to the old direct mailing
    system shortly.  Thank you.

Today's Topics:
  Getting default directory a pascal program is running from..
  Asking info on Graphics SW for VT241
  VMS archiving systems
  Question: C++ Experiences
  mail
  GIGI terminal
  Using a Laserprinter spooled (ormal printoutts) + nonspooled (for TeX)
  Public Domain C compiler wanted
  IVECS cards (in reply to Scott Marshall query).
  mount/ebcdic
  Linking across DECNET
  CONTROL-T and LOAD info
  VAX-11 RSX MOUNT/EBCDIC
  UUCP
  SOS and RSX
  HSC/KDB50 Comparison info needed

  moving binary files between VMS and UNIX.
  IVECS cards - correction.
  Source list ufiche
  Hoops announcement

Date: Sat, 07 Mar 87 14:44:13 EST
From: jfjr@mitre-bedford.ARPA
Subject: Getting default directory a pascal program is running from..

Excuse me if I seem ignorant. We are still on 4.2 (please don't
ask why, its beyond my control). I am running a large VMS pascal
program ( about 25,000 lines, 30 modules ). I need to retrieve,
from inside the program, the default directory its running on.
I used to do this easily, using the FAB examples from the back
of the VMS pascal manual as a guide. I declared an unsafe pointer
to fab, and followed it down to the default directory spec etc.
of one of the input files the program reads - not very elegant - it worked.
Nothing magic. worked fine under 3.7. Gives me garbage now. I
get instead this string "INELIMITEST]". I have looked down
throught STARLET and my code looks okay. If I use this function
from a small program (something written just to call it) it seems
to work but it is broken as far as I can tell in the big program.
I am interested in finding out what worked before and doesn't work
now, why it doesn't work now, and perhaps a classier way of retrieving
the default directory..

                                  Thanks in advance,

                                  Jerry Freedman, Jr
                                   Mitre Corp.
                                  Bedford, Mass 01730

                                   jfjr@mitre-bedford.ARPA
                                   (* I think. I am new to the net *)
                                   (* and some of the addressing   *)
                                   (* issues confuse me            *)

------------------------------

Date: Sun 8 Mar 87 00:57:29-PST
From: Sang K. Cha <CHASK@Sierra.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Asking info on Graphics SW for VT241

I have a VT240(241) graphics terminal and I would like to create a menu
interface with dynamically changing choices.   Does anybody know
a flexible graphics sw with a rich set of primitive graphics operations
(object-oriented) ?   These should be callable from at least one of VAX
programming languages, preferably, VAX LISP.   I have VMS DECSlide, but
this doesn't seem to make my job possible.

Thanks.

-- Sang

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Mar 87 22:02:20 mst
From: jon%gaia.UUX%ncar.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: VMS archiving systems

> We have heard over here in Europe various rumours about the inclusion
> of an Archiving System in VMS 5.  Since, for some reason beyond our
> understanding, VMS 5 appears to be more "imminent" in the US than it
> does here, has anyone over there any information as to whether there is
> any substance in either the fact or the timing in the rumour or details
> of the proposed system itself!

I have heard that sort of rumor too.  One thing to consider, though: given
DEC's new attitude, it is unlikely that it would be bundled with VMS.  So,
you're going to have to buy it one way or another, and DEC's version is
unlikely to be the cheapest.

---
Jonathan Corbet
{seismo | hplabs | gatech}!hao!gaia!jon
{ucbvax | allegra | cbosgd}!nbires!gaia!jon

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Mar 87 14:22:51 EST
From: jcm@ORNL-MSR.ARPA (James A. Mullens)
Subject: Question: C++ Experiences

I am considering using C++ on VAX/VMS for a graphics project.  I don't have
C++ yet on the VAX, but I have been playing with it on an IBM AT.

This project needs to be done quickly.  I don't have time to fight a lot of
compiler bugs, and I don't have time to re-code it into C if the C++ should
prove to be a pain...  I'd love to hear from anyone using C++ under VMS.
What sorts of experiences have you had?

Just so this message has some informatin content:  C++ is AT&Ts extension of
the C language which adds "object-oriented programming" features.  A brief
way of summarizing this is that structs can now contain functions as well
as data, and parts of structs can be hidden from users.  C++ also adds
operator overloading (+,-,etc) to allow easy use of new classes of data.
Finally, C++ cleans up some C syntax such as variable number of arguments
in function calls, function declarations, constant declarations, and
inline functions in place of macros.

Any comments, to the mailing list or directly to me, will be appreciated.

jim mullens / oak ridge national lab / jcm@ornl-msr.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 07 Mar 87 17:04:08 -0800
From: Robert Cray <robert%jimi.cs.unlv.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: mail

>Is there anyway to cause VMS Mail to put the self copy messages
>in a separate folder (ie. not in the MAIL folder)?
>
>Has DECUS made any recommendations to DEC for changes to the VMS
>MAIL utility?  If so, where can I find them and DEC's response?

VMS Mail is braindamaged.  I talked to someone with the pmdf project some
time ago, and he mentioned that they were porting the Rand MH mail system
to vms, has anything come of this?  Seems as though this would work
quite nicely with pmdf.  If I got the same volume of mail on my VMS
system as my UNIX system (with mh), I am sure I couldn't keep up.

                                        --robert

--
CSNET:   robert%jimi.cs.unlv.edu@relay.cs.net
UUCP:    {akgua,ihnp4,mirror,psivax,sdcrdcf}!otto!jimi!robert

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Mar 87 18:06 EST
From: <LMD%CUNYVMS1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: GIGI terminal

I have an old GIGI monitor and an equally old monitor that has less than
20 lines display.

If I set terminal to VK100 the GNU Emacs editor does-not work. Also
I know for sure that there are some GIGI Graphics Editor images floating
around in the SYSTEM along with Slide Proj. System and Characterset Editor

All I have is a GIGI keyboard monitor and nothing else to go by, so I request
information and pointers to effectively use what ever I have at home.

All information relating to it will be appreciated. I am not on any network or
list so please send me mail directly.

I will post the summary to the network later on. We are a VAX/VMS SITE on 4.4

                                Thanks in advance

                                        BITNET: lmd@cunyvms1
                                        INTERNET: lmd%cunyvms1.BITNET@wiscvm.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  9 Mar 87 01:12:04 +0100 (Central European Time)
From: XBR1Y028@DDATHD21.BITNET (W. Reichenbaecher, HRZ)
Subject: Using a Laserprinter spooled (ormal printoutts) + nonspooled
         (for TeX)

We are about to run a TeX driver for a Laser printer on one of our VAXen.

Until today we are printing on the laser printer with the unmodified VMS
printer symbiont, as a spooled device over a printer queue.

Since the output of the TeX driver to the laser printer (bit map) is too
large to keep it in a queue, for TeX-printing we have to
 - stop the 'normal' printer queue and
 - 'unspool' the printer device

After the TeX output is finished ,
 - the printer has to be set as a spooled device and
 - the normal spooled printer queue will be started again

Our problem is, that we do not want to give any privileges to those
students who are printing their TeX output - in addition I like to
have a 'fully automated mechanism' to handle this problem.
(for example dispatching between two queues - a 'normal' printer queue
 and a special batch queue, where the TeX-Output job runs).

I think this problem is not new to some of the audience to this list.

So, I don't like to reinvent the wheel -

I would apreciate any comments and suggestions
(you may send them directly to me)

Thanks in advance

Walter Reichenbaecher
Technical University Computing Center
Darmstadt, West Germany

Bitnet/EARN:  XBR1Y028@DDATHD21

ARPAnet:      XBR1Y028%DDATHD21.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 8 Mar 87 23:14:00 CDT
From: "PERV::ROBERT" <robert%perv.decnet@utadnx.cc.utexas.edu>
Subject: Public Domain C compiler wanted

Can anyone suggest a source for a C compiler which would run under
VMS on either an 8800 or microVax-II?  As cheap as possible would
be preferable.  Please reply to me directly as I am not on this
list.

Thanks in advance ..

Robert Schneider
Department of Petroleum Engineering
University of Texas at Austin
<robert%perv.decnet@utadnx.cc.utexas.edu>

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  9 Mar 87 6:35 +0200
From: Yehavi Bourvine +972-2-584279
      <YEHAVI%HUJIVMS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: IVECS cards (in reply to Scott Marshall query).

  Concernning Ethernet LANS, we are using here (Hebrew U, Computation Center)
only the Bridge's LAN. The IVECS cards makes some troubles, but it seems that
in this situation they are almost the best solution. I haven't tried the DEC's
LANS, but as I heard they have problems too.
  The IVECS is DMFs emulator, and it does its fuction (usually). I guess
that you've read the messages here about it; There is one more thing that
is written in its book: It accumulates errors when in heavy use due to
timeouts. When the load is heavy the card is a little bit slow in response
to the CPU, which causes a timeout error and re-transmission from the CPU
to the card. The user does not notice it. Furthermore, I don;t remember
whether it was only on the HACK version or also with the IVECS, but when
the traffic is very high, and the amount of data passing in the card in
one moment reaches a certain limit, the IVECS disconnects all the users
routed through it, and they have to requset again re-connection. I haven't
saw it here, since I never operate it with more than 32 ports.
  Again, I have no other LANS to compare it. It seems that usually it
does it's work...
                    __Yehavi:
                    Yehavi Bourvine
                    The Hebrew U of Jerusalem,
                    Computation Center.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 87 11:15 O
From: <BEN%TECHMAX.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: mount/ebcdic

The Mount/Ebcdic is not documented in Vax-11 RSX, however there is a QIO
that allows for translatation from EBCDIC to ASCII. This has been used on a
couple of old DECUS entries, namely- mtexch. I do not know if the sources
of this are still available, but the executable code is still running on
version 4.5 by me.

|Ben Pashkoff                                   xx  xxxxxxxx      |
|System Engineer                                 xx  xxxxxx       |
|Biomedical Engineering                           xx    xx        |
|Technion, IIT                                     xx  xx         |
|Haifa, Israel 32000                                xxxx          |
|BEN@TECHMAX.BITNET                                  xx           |

------------------------------

Date:           Mon, 09 Mar 87 10:42:48 n
To:             INFO-VAX@SRI-KL.ARPA
From:           <KND@DHDMPI5.BITNET>
Subject:        Virtual/physical terminals
Header-Disclaimer: I don't like my headers either !

Hi,

I would like to get the physical terminal name  within a DCL
command procedure. But if you have disconnectable terminals the
lexical functions return only the virtual terminal name. Is there
a way to find the relationship between the virtual terminal and
the real (physical) one ?

        Hans

Post-Mail-Address                       E-Mail

 Hans Kandler                           PSI%02624562219303::KND
 Max-Planck-Institut
 fuer Kernphysik                        KND@DHDMPI5     (Bitnet / Earn)
 Postfach 1o398o
 D-69oo  Heidelberg                     KND@DHDMPI5V    (Bitnet / Earn)
 GERMANY

------------------------------

Date:           Mon, 09 Mar 87 11:51:05 n
To:             INFO-VAX@SRI-KL.ARPA
From:           <KND@DHDMPI5.BITNET>
Subject:        Supress Error messages
Header-Disclaimer: I don't like my headers either !

hi,
in my logout procedure I delete all .JOU files. But if there are none
I get an error message that there are no .JOU files. If you see the
text "error..." on the screen you look at it even it isn't a "real"
error. Is there a way to suppress the error message

%DELETE-W-SEARCHFAIL, error searching for DRB2:[KND...]*.JOU;*

Assigning SYS$ERROR or SYS$OUTPUT to NL: doesn't help neither a
SET MESSAGE /DELETE. Could anyone help?

Date: 9-MAR-1987 11:50:14
From: SYSMGR%UK.AC.KCL.PH.IPG@AC.UK
Subject: Linking across DECNET

At my site the usual trick used is to put lines of the form

    $ XLIB == "PHIPG::SYS_LIB:XLIB/LIB"

into LOGIN.COM's, and then link using the shorthand $LINK ...,'XLIB',...

Personally I don't approve of LNK$LIBRARY, because (a) it will impose a
significant extra, wasted overhead on the file IO system, (b) it can cause
havoc if a library (which the user doesn't know about) happens to resolve
a reference to a routine that the user didn't know he was calling (ie a
typo in FORTRAN --- it really has happened! )  and (c) it will result
in users not knowing from where a particular routine they use is
coming, leading to problems when they move to another site and want a copy
(of something which is copyright...). Flame off...

Nigel Arnot (Dept. Physics, Kings college, Univ. of London;  U.K)

Bitnet/NetNorth/Earn:   sysmgr@ipg.ph.kcl.ac.uk (or) sysmgr%kcl.ph.vaxa@ac.uk
       Arpa         :   sysmgr%ipg.ph.kcl.ac.uk@ucl-cs.arpa

PS Having just deleted 60+ copies of a message about the 4.4 debugger, I now
fully appreciate what is meant by "brain damaged". Will whoever is responsible
please fix that mailer!!

------------------------------

Date: Mon 9 Mar 87 08:18:07-PST
From: Richard Steinberger <STEINBERGER@SRI-KL.ARPA>
Subject: CONTROL-T and LOAD info

In earlier versions of VMS (4.2 and before I think), typing CONTROL-T displayed
a "LOAD factor" which gave some idea of how busy the machine was.  I felt this
was useful when I was running a program and I only had a rough idea when it
would finish - I could get some feeling whether the delay was in my program's
execution or in the "busy-ness" of the computer.  Does anyone know a way to
get CONTROL-T to again display this LOAD factor?  At present, I type several
CONTROL-Ts and look at the CPU time used - this is less than satisfactory.
I know I could spawn out and use MONITOR, but this would generally involve
stopping and restarting the program.  Getting the LOAD from CONTROL-T would
be much nicer.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Ric Steinberger
steinberger@kl.sri.com

------------------------------

Date: MON, 09 MAR 87 16:38:02 GMT
From: MARTIN%sysf.salford.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK

Does anybody out there have a copy of sing with some install instructions.

                                Ta....    Martin Ogden.

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  9 Mar 87 12:15 EST
From: Thomas_R._Blake <TBLAKE%BINGVAXA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: VAX-11 RSX MOUNT/EBCDIC

Folks,

        Nope, At least I can't find any mention in my docs of a MOUNT/EBCDIC
command in VAX-11 RSX.

                                                        Thomas R. Blake

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Mar 87 09:22
From: McGuire_Ed%GRINNELL.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

> We have a single disk (RA81) 11/750.  I do image backups about every 6
> months. Every day I do a daily backup with the input qualifier
> "/SINCE=BACKUP", except on Friday, I do a weekly backup with the input
> qualifier "/SINCE=20-FEB-1987:18:00" - of course using the exact date and
> time of last Friday's backup.
>
> Well a couple of weeks ago I noticed something.  I had restored a file to my
> account from a private backup saveset.  It was picked up by the daily backup,
> but was *NOT* written to the Weekly backup.  I can explain the reason why,
> but that is of little comfort if my backup tapes can't be used to restore the
> disk to its present state.
>
> The file I restored from my private saveset had a create and modified date
> well in the past, lets say sometime in 1986.  The daily backup picked it up
> because the backup date field was empty.  But the weekly backup compared the
> /SINCE=date with the modified date, and of course, decided it didn't need to
> be backed up.
>
> Am I doing something wrong?  And even though /BACKUP works as documented, I
> think it would be better behaviour for "/SINCE=date/BACKUP" to recognize
> empty backup dates as valid selections, rather than NOT valid selections,
> such as "/SINCE=BACKUP" does.

This is the way we did our backup, too, until we came across the problem you
reported.  We took our backup design straight from the VMS documentation set.
When we discovered that any `reasonably old' file created by BACKUP is not
picked up on the weekly volumes, we had to eliminate the weekly volumes.  We
now do dailys only.  Fortunately, our image backup cycle is monthly, not
twice a year, so we haven't got tapes up the bazoo.  And we're using a TA78
at 6250 BPI.

There ought to be a way to do the weekly backup and get all the files.

Ed McGuire
Grinnell College
MCGUIRE@GRIN2.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 87 13:45:04 est
From: Scott Shurr <sshurr%wellesley.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: UUCP

I am attempting to set up uucp on an ULTRIX 1.2 system, using a
Penril 8216 modem.  My efforts to write an entry in /etc/acucap
for this modem have failed.  Has anyone out there got an /etc/acucap
entry for this brand of modem that works?

I've attempted to debug this by running /usr/lib/uucp/uucico in the
debug mode with the switch -x9.  When I do this, I get a lot of
information up to:
Calling gen_setupGeneric dialer error on /dev/tty02
close generic, Def-7
clsacu entered
clsacu entered
about to close acu
clsacu entered
exit code 0

I don't have the source to uucico and am not sure what these messages
are trying to tell me.  Another peculiar item is that when I specify
/dev/ttyd2 in /usr/lib/uucp/L-devices this doesn't work at all.  When
I specify /dev/tty02 it works as described above.  I have ttyd2 linked
to tty02 via the major and minor device numbers.  Any advice would be
greatly appreciated.

Scott Shurr - Academic Computing   | internet: sshurr@wellesley.edu
Science Center, Wellesley College  | phone: 617-235-0320 X3262
Wellesley, MA 02181                |

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 87 14:57 EST
From: <MANAGER%SMITH.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: SOS and RSX

     Recently we converted from a VAX 11/785 to a VAX 8500.  At that time,
our OLD version of SOS finally broke.  I know that SOS is available from
DECUS, but I don't want to rush right out and buy it because I THINK that the
problem may be with our OLD version of RSX.  is anyone else supporting (or
trying to support) SOS?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 87 15:31 EST
From: <TRIN7%TRINCC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: HSC/KDB50 Comparison info needed

To the viewers of the net,

Can anybody send me some statistics and general knowledge about the
throughput comparisons between a HSC controller and a KDB50 controller?

This sort of implies whether one should cluster a VAX or just be content
with the standard BI setup.  Any info would be helpful.  Thanks, as always,
to all of you.

Scott Marshall
systems manager
Trinity College, CT.
BITNET: Trin7@Trincc

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 87 16:01 EST
From: <ALLIN%QUCDNSUR.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

     Hello,

My organization is currently interested in moving a Dbase III application
on PC over to our Vax 785.
Does anyone know of a Database package for Vax that has similar power and
programming language?

     Thank you,

Shawn Allin
Alcan International Ltd.,
Kingston, Ont.,
Canada  K7L 4Z4
(613) 549 4500

Bitnet: ALLIN@QUCDNSUR

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 87 17:05:30 EST
From: walstad%ocean@harvard.harvard.edu (Leonard Walstad)
Subject: moving binary files between VMS and UNIX.

We are about to convert from VMS to UNIX (no comments please) and have most
of our conversion procedures ready to go except for the binary files
written by FORTRAN as unformatted records.  We would like to be able to
move these to our unix system before converting our VMS system to UNIX.

Since they are both uVAXes, the data in the files will be identical only
the storage format changes ( I believe this is correct, please let me know
if it is not).  Does anyone have software for making this transfer?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated (i.e. a good approach for
attacking the problem).

Thanks,  Leonard Walstad    walstad@harvard  (arpanet)
                            walstad@harvunxh (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  9 Mar 87 19:30 +0200
From: Yehavi Bourvine +972-2-584279
      <YEHAVI%HUJIVMS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: IVECS cards - correction.

  I don't rememeber who sent the inital message about the IVECS problems,
so I send it to the list. The problem mentioned there with the timings of
SILO and DMA modes is solved. The local Bridge representative here said that
there is a new software release that cures it; I guess that he ment either
to new PROMs on the card or a new diskette for the NCS150.
                    __Yehavi:
                    Yehavi Bourvine
                    The Hebrew U of Jerusalem,
                    Computation Center.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 87 12:30 PST
From: Kevin Carosso <KVC@ENGVAX.SCG.HAC.COM>
Subject: Source list ufiche

Has anyone out there successfully ordered and received the VMS
source list fiche kit?  Since we didn't get fiche with 4.5 I'm
assuming that DEC has stopped sending it to sites that don't
buy it (as they mentioned a few DECUS' ago).  We're having some
trouble getting order numbers, etc. for it, though.  Anyone
know the part number and price?  Any chance it's grandfathered
for free to people with licenses before some date (as RSX was)?

Thanks,

        /Kevin Carosso           kvc%engvax.uucp@usc-oberon.usc.edu
         Hughes Aircraft Co.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 87 21:10:22 EST
From: garry@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Garry Wiegand)
Subject: Hoops announcement

{2nd try at posting. Please excuse if you've seen this already.}

** Graphics Product Announcement **

In keeping with network etiquette, I will try to make this as brief and to-the-
point as possible. Apologies in advance to anyone who may be offended (but I
hope no one is!)

What we have is a beast called "Hoops". Hoops is a large, 2-D/3-D, general-
purpose display-list graphics subroutine library. Hoops deals with such
things as lines, polygons, text, windows, colors, and cameras. It is
designed to run on on many machines and many displays, and its basic
purpose is to make your life easier when you sit down to write a graphics
application. We've put a lot of effort into: 1) a clean design, 2) speedy
program execution, and 3) keeping it cheap!

Software completed:

    C language binding
    Fortran language binding

    Support for X-Windows  (tested on Ultrix microVax/GPX's)
    Support for the microVax/GPX running VMS
    Support for the Parallax 1280 on microVax's running VMS
    Support for Postscript laser printers, including the Apple

In progress:

    Pascal language binding

    Support for the Silicon Graphics Iris workstation
    Support for the Sun 3 workstation
    Support for the IBM 5080 on IBM mainframes
    Support for the Number Nine "Pro1280" on IBM PC/AT's
    Support for the Pixelworks "ClipperBoard" on IBM PC/AT's

Commercial licenses are moderately priced, with large discounts for volume
purchases. University licenses are generally priced at 25% of commercial
licenses; university license fees may, under some conditions, be waived
entirely. Source code is available; demo copies are available.

For further information, call:

    Gary Wayne
    Flying Moose Systems & Graphics
    (607) 273-3690 // The Clinton House // Ithaca, New York 14850

Or send your post-office address to me. Thanks for listening -

    Garry Wiegand   (c/o garry@oak.cadif.cornell.edu)

End of Info-Vax Digest

Info-Vax-REQUEST@SRI-KL.ARPA.UUCP (03/14/87)

Date: Sat, 7 Mar 87 22:02:20 mst