[net.sf-lovers] Scientology and stories

steve@ncsc (09/06/85)

From: Stephen Mahan <steve@ncsc>

     I'm not too familiar with scientology, but it bears a suspicious
resemblence to a cult featured in a Norman Spinrad book, 'The Mind Game'.
The novel concearns a hack sf author who finds that a novel he has written is
the basis for a cult.  He takes over the cult, called Transformationalism,
and builds it into a multi-billion dollar empire.  There are obvious parallels
between this and Hubbard's activities.

     I recommend the novel highly.

			steve
-------

nep.pgelhausen@ames-vmsb.ARPA (09/11/85)

From: nep.pgelhausen@ames-vmsb.ARPA

(about scientology)
> ....to a cult featured in a Norman Spinrad book, 'The Mind Game'.  The
> novel concenrs a hack sf author who finds that a novel he has written
> is the basis for a cult.  He takes over the cult...

This msg implied a level of parallelism between this novel & L. Ron H.
This may be...but I don't think he took over Scientology...from what
I understand he created it from the start....on the other hand, there
is always R.A.H. & _Stranger_in_a_Strange_Land_.....

		-Richard Hartman
		max.hartman@ames-vmsb
------