[mod.computers.vax] VAXELN

KROON@HGRRUG51.BITNET (Peter A. Kroon. KVI) (11/06/86)

Is there anybody out there who is using the DEC product VAXELN?
I would like you get in touch with you to exchange experiences and discuss
problems.

Peter A. Kroon, KVI, Groningen, Netherlands.
KROON@HGRRUG51.BITNET

wiltzius@LLL-CRG.ARPA (Dave Wiltzius) (03/19/87)

Subject: VAXELN
Newsgroups: mod.computers.vax

I'm interested in connecting a VAXELN VAX or MicroPower/PASCAL LSI-11 to
an Ethernet for a real-time application.  It will be communicating to
a non-DEC peer, hence only datagrams (vs DECnet circuits) are to be used.
Using Version 2.2 VAXELN, I am only able to receive approx. 2 Mbits/sec
and send approx. 3 Mbits/sec (using 1400 byte packets).  (Circuits give
about 2.7 Mbits/sec for 32Kbyte messages.)  Is this datagram performance
the best I can expect?

Also, I don't have a MicroPower/PASCAL available (I just heard of it
recently).  Anyone have any experience with it and how it compares to
VAXELN - performance and software development-wise?

Last of all, the VAXELN manual refers to a datalink interface (bypassing
the NSP) defined in DATALINK.PAS - module $DATALINK in RTLOBJECT.OLB.
This only defines the operational parameters and declares (but does not
define) the 4 datalink routines.  Can I in fact bypass the NSP without
creating my own Ethernet driver?  Can the datalink routines be used
(and how)?

Info and details would be much appreciated.

   Dave Wiltzius
   Lawrence Livermore Nat'l Lab

   wiltzius@lll-crg   or
   wiltzius@lll-lcc   or