[mod.computers.vax] MAIL

GWD21T@DGOGWD01.BITNET.UUCP (05/23/86)

Subject: Disk fragmentation

I have observed the disk fragmentation produced by XQP (VMS V4.3)
for some time and got the impression that it is unnecessarily high.
For instance the XQP appears to be distributing small files all
over the volume, splitting large free "extents" into ever smaller
fragments. I think that "extent caching" could be the culprit.

Question: Has anyone successfully "tuned" his system to minimize
disk fragmentation? Does it help to turn off extent caching?

Thanks in advance for any hints.
                                        W.J.M.

J.W.Moeller, GWDG, D-3400 Goettingen, F.R.Germany       0551-201516
                                                   GWD21T@DGOGWD01.BITNET

GWD21T@DGOGWD01.BITNET (08/07/86)

Subject: VAX PSI - PSIPAD

We would like to use a modified PSIPAD for the connection to another
computer system which has some ideas about terminal escape sequences,
but does not like DEC-Terminals.

Has anybody considered writing a program to make outgoing X.29 calls,
like PSIPAD, or has such a program available? How involved is it
to write such a program?
PSI documentation does not mention this topic, as far as I know.

Thanks in advance for any hints.
                                        W.J.M.

J.W.Moeller, GWDG, D-3400 Goettingen, F.R.Germany  GWD21T@DGOGWD01.BITNET
                                                    Phone +49-551-201516

GWD21T@DGOGWD01.BITNET (08/15/86)

Re: Critical Regions under VMS

The worst problem with critical regions comes from the $DELPRC system
service which is NOT A PRIVILEGED request (the owner can $ STOP
a process from any other terminal).
With $DELPRC, NO exit handler is ever executed, so you can't rely
on an exit handler at all.
The 2nd solution given by Greg W. from DEC (raising priority to IPL$_ASTDEL)
is correct only if you need no cleanup later, so it does not satisfy
the original submitter's requirement. By the way, I might prefer
to put the critical region into a kernel AST instead of
raising the IPL, so I need not care for page faults.

For cleanup at image/process termination, however, only the "User rundown"
routine available for privileged shareable images is guaranteed to run
within process context (remember the V.3 "Real-Time User's Guide"?).
I think that such a "user written system service" is about the only
solution.
For a more elaborate scheme, I could imagine a separate process
monitoring access to the critical regions; this process could be
triggered after image/process rundown via the lock manager, and
do the cleanup required.
                                        W.J.M.

J.W.Moeller, GWDG, D-3400 Goettingen, F.R.Germany  GWD21T@DGOGWD01.BITNET
                                                    Phone +49-551-201516

A105@UWOCC1.BITNET (Brent Sterner) (09/17/86)

   This is probably not new to you guys.  For accounting reasons, I had
to create an alias account on the VAX, and it shares the home directory
with the 'real' account.  Thus it shares the mailbox as well.
   When I read new mail now, the count of NEW mail messages is only
adjusted for the account used for reading the mail.  The alternate entry
in the VMSMAIL.DAT file is not correctly updated.  The fix is to issue
READ/NEW to MAIL, and the new mail count will be corrected.
   Now some good stuff.  Our site is developing a new VMS mailer.  It will
conform to the Interner Standards RFC822 (for message format) and RFC821/
BSMTP (for message transfer).  The objective is a JNET bridge between
DECnet and the Columbia Mailer.
   This is not yet available, and will not be in time for SF DECUS.  Maybe
in time for Nashville.  However, if you want more information, please
contact our postmaster, Reg Quinton.  His address is <A362@UWOCC1.BITNET>
(ie same as me - use A362 in place of A105).  It is intended that this S/W
will be publicly available when completed and stable.  It will NOT be
prematurely released.
   Hope this is of some interest to the readership of INFO-VAX.

Brent Sterner
Computing & Communications Services
Natural Sciences Building
The University of Western Ontario
London, Ontario, Canada
N6A 5B7
Telephone (519)661-2151 x6036
Network   <A105@UWOCC1.BITNET>

XSAK@IECMICC.BITNET (Samir Kaleem) (11/14/86)

We have recently installed 4 MicroVax IIs with one of them operating
under VAX/VMS 4.4. All users get two default privileges, but they don't
allow them to use Mail. The error message is as follows:

MAIL-E-UAFOPNERR, error opening user authorization file
-RMS-E-PRV, insufficient privilege or file protection violation.

The only way to take care of this problem is if they are given Group
privileges, but that allows them too much of an access that we don't
want to give. Any suggestions on what could be wrong or how to fix
this? Could be that the file that was tried to be opened isn't allowed
to be opened by the group, or world. Our documentation isn't adequate
enough yet, and doesn't tell what file Mail uses. Any ideas would be
appreciated. Thanx in advance.

Samir Kaleem..

Bitnet: <XSAK@ECNCDC>
Arpa:   <XSAK@ECNCDC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

(Huda Hafiz)

cetron@UTAH-CS.ARPA (Edward J Cetron) (11/14/86)

In article <8611140944.AA05988@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU> XSAK@IECMICC.BITNET (Samir Kaleem) writes:
>We have recently installed 4 MicroVax IIs with one of them operating
>under VAX/VMS 4.4. All users get two default privileges, but they don't
>allow them to use Mail. The error message is as follows:
>
>MAIL-E-UAFOPNERR, error opening user authorization file
>-RMS-E-PRV, insufficient privilege or file protection violation.

As a recall, the uaf file is protected (and with good reason) against
any old user simply 'opening' it and reading it.  Therefore, for running
images that need to get information (such as mail and phone) one must either
have some additional process privileges OR HAVE THE IMAGE INSTALLED WITH
PRIVILEGES.  I also seem to recall that the default startup procedures for
a MVII DO NOT INSTALL MAIL OR PHONE, and therefore are totally useless to
default priviliged users.....

	I have, after much munching and chewing of cud, come up with a useful
series of systartup.com and related procedures to install known images, set
up system logicals, etc.... I would be happy to send the to you is you wish,
and to anyone else with any desire for them.

-ed cetron
center for engineering design
univ of utah

"Eric_S._Fanwick.STHQ"@XEROX.COM (11/17/86)

>We have recently installed 4 MicroVax IIs with one of them operating
>under VAX/VMS 4.4. All users get two default privileges, but they don't
>allow them to use Mail. The error message is as follows:
>
>MAIL-E-UAFOPNERR, error opening user authorization file
>-RMS-E-PRV, insufficient privilege or file protection violation.

You might want to check make sure the the MAIL image is installed
privileged on the system using the INSTALL utility.

Eric Fanwick
Xerox Corp.
EFANWICK.STHQ@XEROX.COM

GWD21T@DGOGWD01.BITNET (12/11/86)

RE: DV11 on VAXen, or equivalents

Is there anybody using DV11s on VAXen? The DV11 was/is a 16-line
DMA multiplexer on the UNIBUS supporting BSC-like protocols.

Not too long ago, I noticed that some company (Able?) offered a
DV11-lookalike. Any experiences?

If the DV11 appears to be out-of-date, how would you connect
some 30 lines running a BSC-like (private) protocol to VAXen?

Any hints & opinions are welcome.
                                        W.J.M.

J.W.Moeller, GWDG, D-3400 Goettingen, F.R.Germany  GWD21T@DGOGWD01.BITNET
                                                    Phone +49-551-201516

GWD21T@DGOGWD01.BITNET.UUCP (01/30/87)

HELP!

receiving mail by a dialup line, a single copy is enough (I can distribute
it locally).
I tried "info-vax-request" two weeks ago, but nothing happened.
What is the correct way to cancel a subscription??????

W.J.Moeller, GWDG, Goettingen, F.R.Germany

GWD21T@DGOGWD01.BITNET.UUCP (02/10/87)

RE - Connection to IBM's RSCS

We are looking for a (cheap) connection from our VAX 8600 to a (new)
IBM mainframe. Supposedly there exists software from Argonne National
Laboratory (ANL) for connection to RSCS.
Could please somebody point me to the source of this software, or give
a short account of its functionality.
Thank in advance,
                                        W.J.M.

J.W.Moeller, GWDG, D-3400 Goettingen, F.R.Germany  GWD21T@DGOGWD01.BITNET
                                                    Phone +49-551-201516

ANAND@syr-nmr-aos1.CSNET.UUCP (03/27/87)

    Now that the various "flames" over VMS mail have quietened down, may I
    suggest a simple way to handle the digests. All you have to do is to
    do FORWARD/EDIT to yourself ! Once you are in the editor (mines EVE),
    you can extract the mail messages you need. Of course if you quit from
    the editor no message is sent.

    R. Anand                                  Bitnet: ranand@sunrise
    NMR Laboratory,                           CSnet : anand@syr-nmr-aos1.csnet
    Syracuse University.

    "Score: Candle lighters 1, darkness cursers 0"