[net.sf-lovers] Niven in the Corner

jam@dcl-cs.UUCP (John A. Mariani) (09/12/85)

In article <611@hou2g.UUCP> scott@hou2g.UUCP (Racer X) writes:

>Seems to me this "Niven has painted himself into a
>corner" argument is a crock, at least from Niven's
>point of view.  Why can't he write a novel or some
>short stories occuring during, say, the first Man/Kzin
>war?  What about some new Gil Hamilton stories?  I'm
>sure these would be well received.
>
>Certainly, he's probably constrained from furthering
>the history and mythos of Known Space, but I hardly
>think this prevents him from writing about it entirely.

Here comes another uninformed opinion from me. I don't know Larry Niven
but for about 5 years he was unarguably my favourite SF author so I
do know his work (not in the encyclopeadic way many net.sf-lovers do,
as recent postings have shown -- boy, am I jealous!) so ..
I feel Mr. Niven does NOT want to write stories within the existing
framework; he wants to do NEW stuff (as the Integral Trees has shown).
I think the last thing he would want to do is hack out new Gil Hamilton
stories (unless, of course, he had a good idea). And, as Scott "rumoured",
Niven's had a "dry" period.

Still, as I said at the start, this is all guesswork; could be Scott's right.
I'm sure we'd all love to read new Known Space stuff -- even if it was all
in the existing framework.

P.S. Can I add my plea for a re-posting of "Down In Flames"? Sounds as if
Niven SHOULD write it -- even if it was "set in a parallel Known Space" --
who cares? If its a GOOD STORY that we'd enjoy, he should write it!

"Road runner once; road runner twice; I'm in love with this feeling now"

--
UUCP:  ...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!dcl-cs!jam
DARPA: jam%lancs.comp@ucl-cs	| Post: University of Lancaster,