[net.sf-lovers] The number 1729.

chas@gtss.UUCP (Charles Cleveland) (09/12/85)

In article <693@tpvax.fluke.UUCP> inc@fluke.UUCP (Gary Benson) writes:
>One last thing, while I'm on the topic of numbers: someone told me once that
>the number 42 has some special mathematical significance, but I forget what
>it is. It is the answer a computer named "Deep Thought" gave to the
>question, "What is the meaning of life, the universe and everything?" in the
>novel _Hitchhikers_Guide_to_the_Galaxy_. Does anyone know why the author
>chose this number? Or what it's mathematical significance might be?

Am I correct in supposing that Gary has just asked what the question
is to which 42 is the answer? (:-)  Readers of Hitchhiker's Guide may be
amused.

Anyway, at least one of these questions might find answerers faster in
net.sf-lovers.
--
Charles Cleveland			 Georgia Tech Surface Studies
Georgia Tech School of Physics