[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V4 #134

Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA (Info-IBMPC Digest) (11/27/85)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Wednesday, 27 November 1985      Volume 4 : Issue 134

This Week's Editor: Richard Nelson

Today's Topics:
                     Lahey F77L FORTRAN Compiler
             Turbo Pascal 3.00B BlockRead/BlockWrite Bug
                    PowerStat Statistical Package
                       XyWrite III Announcement
                    Micro/Systems Journal Address
                  Removing a Memory-Resident Program
                        Speaker Control on XTs
                           ROMing Programs
                      HP Laserjet PRINT Problem
              Disable Special Characters in MSDOS Query
                         Linkage-Editor Query
               Graphics Terminal Emulators for AT Query
                        Speech Digitizer Query
                           Appletalk Query
                  Unix Editor ELLE for PC-DOS Query
               Scientific Characters for Hercules Query
                           .PIF Files Query
                       Another Hard-Disk Query
                   Hard Disks for Tandy 1000 Query
                  Paradox: Relational Database Query

From: Ted Holden <ted@imsvax.uucp>
Subject: Lahey F77L FORTRAN Compiler
Date: 21 Nov 85 13:49:11 GMT
To:       info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA

     The Dec 24 issue of PC rates three PC class Fortran compilers, and picks
the Lahey F77L compiler as its favorite.  This compiler is fast and has all of
the extensions beyond the 77 standard which you normally get with mainframe
Fortrans.  Beyond what PC has to say about F77L, I have heard several claims
to the effect that the SPSS people funded the development of this compiler
because the RM and Microsoft compilers were deemed inadequate for the develop-
ment of SPSS-PC.

     If you look at mainframe Fortran manuals, half of what you'll see is stuff
which goes over the 77 standard, and that breaks two ways:  about half are
features such as having characters in real and integer arrays which keep your
35 year base of software compilable, and the other half, things such as name-
list reads etc. are things which are identical from an Amdahl to a CDC to a
1184 etc. etc., but one manufacturer couldn't do it so it got left out of the
standard.  On top of all of this, any reasonable system of debugging features
goes beyond the standard.  F77L seems to have all of these things;  previous
PC fortrans are a sorry lot by comparison.  Most have amounted to literal
implementations of the 77 standard, which plainly doesn't get it, especially
for anyone thinking in terms of transporting applications from a mainframe
to PCs or ATs.  One last point of interest for people in this boat:  the new
version  of F77L allows arrays to go over the 64K limit.

------------------------------

From: Brent Chapman <c55-hc@ucbbuddy.ucb-vax.ARPA>
Subject: Turbo Pascal 3.00B BlockRead/BlockWrite Bug
Date: 21 Nov 85 04:00:05 GMT
Sender: usenet@ucb-vax.ARPA
To:       info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA

If people already know of this, I apologize.

There is a bug in MS-DOS Turbo Pascal,
version 3.00B, in the 'blockread' and/or 'blockwrite' procedures.
Version 3.01A is available from Borland, which fixes these bugs.
Also dealing with the blockread/blockwrite procedure, while not
technically a bug, there is an undocumented limitation to these
procedures.  You cannot read/write more that 64K bytes (512 blocks)
with a single blockread/blockwrite command.  This is due to the IBM
addressing structure (each segment addresses a max of 64K bytes).
If you try to access >=512 blocks, you end up dealing with (X mod 512).

Hope this helps some people!

Brent Chapman
ucbvax!ucbugs!chapman           chapman@ucbugs.berkeley.ARPA
ucbvax!ucbamber!chapman         chapman@ucbamber.berkeley.ARPA
ucbvax!ucbbuddy!c55-hc          c55-hc@ucbbuddy.berkeley.ARPA

Opinions expressed herein are strictly my own (but are available for
use by others for a reasonable fee).

------------------------------

From: "I. Spence" <spence@utcsstat.uucp>
Subject: PowerStat Statistical Package
Date: 24 Nov 85 19:10:14 GMT
To:       info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA

Analytical Engineering Corporation has released Version 1.0 of PowerStat,
a fully integrated statistics package for the IBM PC and true compatibles.

o System Requirements

               192K RAM and two DSDD drives minimum.  DOS 2.0, or later.
               Mono or color adaptor.  Hard disk and math coprocessor
               supported but not essential.

o Statistics

  BASIC        Means, standard errors, variances, standard deviations,
               quartiles, percentiles, t-tests, nonparametrics, correlations.

  DISPLAYS     Stem-and-leaf, box plots, histograms, scatter plots.

  REGRESSION   All possible regressions, stepwise, R-squared, Mallows' C(p),
               through III SS, repeated measures, Latin squares,
               incomplete designs, nested designs.

  CATEGORICAL  Chi squared and G squared tests, up to 10 way cross tabs,
               expected frequencies, residuals, percentages, loglinear models.
  MULTIVARIATE Correlation, principal components, factor analysis, rotation.

o Human Factors

               Instant context sensitive help windows, novice and advanced
               help, variable name reminder windows, pointer command system
               with very few keystrokes, procedure option windows, command
               anticipation, customized setup, graceful error handling, work
               in progress indicators, output to screen and/or printer and/or
               file, data input under user program control, input checking.
               Automatic keyboard toggling, advanced user meta commands.

o Data Management

               Common "records by variables" data set format, no conversion
               necessary for different procedures.  Hierarchical file system,
               data set libraries, data set browser and full screen editor,
               sort on up to 10 variables, automatic backup, 150 variables,
               32767 records, append, set, merge, export, import, automatic
               treatment of missing data, BY groups for subset analysis.
               Upload/download to mainframe SAS, SPSS, BMD, etc.  Communicate
               with Lotus 1-2-3, dBASE, Symphony, etc.

o User Language

               Numeric and character variables, arithmetic and logical and
               cha Quantity discounts and site licenses.
               Special rates for networks.  Not copy protected.

               Analytical Engineering Corporation
               P.O. Box 9, Station P
               Toronto, Ontario
               Canada   M5S 2S6

o Two Diskette Demonstration

               Available for US$8.  Contains data set management and BASIC,
               DISPLAYS, and REGRESSION as shown above.  Data set creation
               arbitrarily limited to 100 records, but full 150 variables.
               Payment must accompany orders.  40 page instructions/examples.

Please do not send mail to me.  Communicate directly with AEC.

------------------------------

Date:  Tue, 26 Nov 85 20:45 EST
From:  "Roger C. King" <RCKing@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject:  XyWrite III Announcement
To:  info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

I pass this along for information only.  I have no connection with
XyQuest except as a satisfied user of both XyWrite II Plus and early
versions of XyWrite III.  XyQuest can be reached at:

     XyQuest Inc.
     P.O. Box 372
     Bedford, MA  01730

     phone: 617-275-4439
____

XyWrite III Update

XyWrite III is now available.

Additional features include:

Styles                  -  Define styles for use by name
Windows                 -  9 total, any size-position, overlap or full screen
Numbering               -  10 counters, Alpha, Roman or Arabic for paragraph
                           numbers (eg., 1.2.2.1) or Outlines.
Column Tables           -  up to 16, word wrap on screen within each column
                           Newspaper Style Columns on output, up to 6 across
FULL Path support       -  Call files by giving PATH and Filename
Sorted Directories      -  Filename, Ext, Size, Date/Time, Forward or Reverse
Multiple file Search    -  Use Filenames with wildcards to define file
                           range for searches
Automatic Hyphenation   -  User Definable Exception word dictionary
FULL Proportional space -  Multiple width tables, flexible definitions
                           in Printer File
Syllable-wrap on
line width              -  vs word wrap on character count, as fast
                           as XyWrite II Plus
On-Line reference       -  Extensive, menu-oriented, user-modifiable,
                           HELP frames
Completely NEW
Documentation           -  Top to Bottom, Front to Back, Brand NEW
Keyboard Template

plus more.

What you get with the upgrade:

     1  524 page XyWrite III Reference Manual replacement
     2  Disks with XyWrite III Version 1.0 program and new Printer files
     1  Template

Upgrade Price of XyWrite III from XyWrite II Plus - $100.00 + $5.00 Shipping

New Version of XyWrite II Plus.

     You can upgrade XyWrite II Plus to Version 2.0 and a new Reference manual.

What you get with this upgrade:

     1  444 page XyWrite II Plus Reference Manual replacement
     1  Disk with XyWrite II Plus Version 2.0 and most recent printer files
     1  Template

Upgrade price for XyWrite II Plus Version 2.0 from XyWrite II Plus -

     $ 30.00 + $5.00 Shipping

A New Binder for the Reference material for either upgrade is available
for an additional $20.00

For a New copy

     List Price of XyWrite III - $395.00 + $5.00 Shipping

------------------------------

From: Kim DeVaughn <kim@mips.uucp>
Subject: Micro/Systems Journal Address
Date: 21 Nov 85 09:24:31 GMT
To:       info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA

I've had several people ask me for the address of "Micro/Systems Journal"
that I mentioned in a previous posting, so thought I'd post it to the net.
M/SJ is put out by Sol and Lennie Libes (more or less out of their "garage")
as a replacement for the now defunct "Microsystems" magazine.

"Microsystems" was started by the Libes' back in the "early days" of micro-
computing as a *technical* magazine;  "Micro/Systems Journal" editorial
content continues in that tradition.  They're aimed at the CP/M and MS-DOS
technical community, but also have regular columns for UNIX, Turbo Pascal, C,
Data Bases, and the Scientific User.  Two other regular features are columns
that cover current releases of public domain s/w:  "PC/Blue Report" for the
MS/PC-DOS people, and "SIG/M Public Domain" for CP/M'ers.

Since their 1st issue, they seem to have picked up a fair amount of adver-
tising support (editorial/advertising ratio seems to be about the same as
Dr. Dobb's Journal has), and the technical content continues to improve.
If you're technically oriented, I think you'll enjoy the magazine.  Best of
luck to Sol, Lennie, et al in this venture.

Here's the address:

                Micro/Systems Journal
                PO Box 1192
                Mountainside, NJ 07092

A sample issue is $4 ... $6 foreign.

                                        Canada/    other
                                US      Mexico    foreign
                               ----     -------   -------
Subscription rates are:  1-yr  $20        $28       $35
                         2-yr  $35        $52       $64
                                          (US funds on US bank only, please)

Currently, they are publishing bi-monthly, and all their back-issues are
available for $4.50 each, including shipping ($6 foreign).  Back-issues
can be ordered from the address given above.

Here it comes ... disclaimer:  I only read the magazine, I haven't written
for it, I don't own stock in it or advertise in it, nor am I affiliated
with it in any other way.  If anybody out there in net.land feels I am
"commercializing" here, you are invited to send flames to the Tooth-Fairy :-).

All opinions expressed are my own, not those of my employer, roommate, or
pet camel.

/kim
--

UUCP:  {decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!decwrl!mips!kim
DDD:   415-960-1200

------------------------------

From: Bart Berger <bb@oliveb.uucp>
Subject: Removing a Memory-Resident Program
Date: 21 Nov 85 01:20:09 GMT
To:       info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA

> When removing a previously loaded memory-resident program we cannot
> recover all of the memory.  It appears that DOS keeps 64 bytes each
> time.  What's the trick to getting back ALL of your memory when
> removing a resident program??
>       Doug Kaye
>       Rational Data Systems
>       ihnp4!hplabs!well!drk

I believe that 64 bytes is the copy of the environment table that MS-DOS
makes for each program.  The trick is:  before releasing the program's
memory, release the environment table's memory.  The segment address of
the environment table is at offset 2C in the Program Segment Prefix; pass
that segment address to MS-DOS function 49h to release the environment
table space.  (Caveat:  I haven't tried this yet.)

                                                        Bart Berger
                                                        ...!oliveb!bb

------------------------------

From: Michael Markowitz <mjm@cantor.uucp>
Subject: Speaker Control on XTs
Date: 21 Nov 85 07:57:52 GMT
To:       info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA

> >... I am trying to
> >access the speaker of my XT via assembly language routines, and
> >I am having a devil of a time. Any magazine or journal references
> >that you might recommend?
>
> The speaker is accessed by a port number - use the IN and OUT instructions
> to access it. I don't know exactly what port it is, but it should be in the
> IBM Technical Reference Manual. Peter Norton has a few sample assembler
> programs in his book, Inside The IBM PC. Chapter 3, listing 3.2. Norton
> also goes into a little detail as to how this works. Here it is, the
> speaker port is number 61 (hex).

First of all, port 61H is port B of the 8255A-5 PPI (programmable peripheral
interface).  If you start OUT'ing indiscriminant data to that port you are
probably going to disable your keyboard and parity checking--although you might
get the speaker to go on at the same time!  Actually you enable the ouput
of timer channel 2 (which is fed to the speaker) by writing a 1 to bit 0 of
this port.  Bit 1 may be used to turn the speaker on and off.  To get
a specific frequency to sound you must program counter 2 of the timer.

Try the following as an example (there are other ways to do this):

        middle_C        dw      262     ;261.6 Hz

        mov     al,0B6H         ;select channel 2, mode 3 (square wave)
        out     43H,al          ;  send to timer (order 16-bit read)

        mov     ax,34dcH        ;calculate initial count (1.193MHz/262Hz)
        mov     dx,12H
        div     middle_C

        out     42H,al          ;send LSB to counter 2
        mov     al,ah
        out     42H,al          ;  then send MSB

        in      al,61H          ;read data latched in output port B of PPI
        or      al,3            ;enable timer channel 2 output and speaker
        out     61H,al          ;send back to PPI (don't mess with other bits)

        mov     bx,????         ;you'll have to choose appropriate values
again:  mov     cx,????         ;  here to generate the desired delay
play:   loop    play            ;(off the top of my head I estimate 64K
        dec     bx              ;iterations will give you .2 seconds on a PC)
        jnz     again           ;(this is using a bx=1, cx=0)

        in      al,61H          ;(this is redundant, status is already in AL!)
        xor     al,3            ;disable timer channel 2 output and speaker
        out     61H,al          ;have PPI turn off that damn noise!

Hope this helps.

Michael Markowitz
Dept. of Math. Sciences
Loyola Univ. of Chicago
Chicago, IL  60626

ihnp4!gargoyle!cantor!able!mjm

------------------------------

To: ad0r@cmu-cc-te
Cc: info-ibmpc@isib
Subject: ROMing Programs
Date: 25 Nov 85 10:38:57 EST (Mon)
From: jcmorris@mitre.ARPA

It's probably not worth it.  If you are willing to forgo the file upload/
download functions of KERMIT and use it to emulate a dumb terminal, it
shouldn't be too difficult to replace the screen and keyboard interfaces
with BIOS calls (I think that KERMIT uses DOS calls for these functions,
but I don't have the code at hand).

If you do this, why bother with KERMIT?  There are several other packages
around which provide X3.64 interfaces; the real advantage to KERMIT is the
popularity of its file transfer capabilities.

If you want the file transfer capabilities, on the other hand, you will
have to write your own file subsystem and burn it on the PROM.  For all
its faults, DOS does provide a mechanism for device-independent disk
access.  Unless you are going to dedicate significant staff time (spelled
with dollar signs) to the project, you will wind up with a package which
will support only a few device types.

I see occasional articles in the press which describe central-server systems
where the node PC's have no hard disk (or sometimes no DASD at all).  The
nodes, when booted, go to the central server for their copy of DOS; this
might be a better technique for you.

Ciao.

Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre)

------------------------------

Date: Wed 20 Nov 85 09:07:15-PST
From: Philip Jeuck <JEUCK@SRI-KL.ARPA>
Subject: HP Laserjet PRINT Problem
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

We have an XT connected to a HP Laserjet printer through the serial
port of an AST Six-pack.  We have been using it for nearly three
months via the IBM PRINT command.  The PRINT command works but is not
perfect.  Then someone tried to print some vu graphs(little text lots
of form feeds), he noticed that the printer failed to print part of a
word although the word was there.  Investigation showed that what was
not printed was sensitive to how much text preceded it - we
immediately started to look at handshake problems.

A breakout box showed that the lost characters occurred at about the
same time that the HP sent a stop.  The HP does this both hardware and
software(lowers DTR and sends XOFF) but the IBM PRINT command seems to
only watch DTR.  So it seems that either the IBM doesn't send a few
characters or the HP looses them at the stop.  But in the past we have
printed multi-page documents that certainly also require the data flow
to stop without losing any characters.

If anyone has any ideas why this is happening I would appreciate the
help.  Even better would be a print spooler that works right and cures
the few annoying traits of the PRINT command such as not being able to
change the number of spaces it puts in for a tab character and not
being able to avoid the form feeds at the end of each file.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Phil Jeuck
jeuck@sri-kl.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 20 Nov 85 09:35:00 EST
From: "INFO1::ELDER" <elder@info1.decnet>
Subject: Disable Special Characters in MSDOS Query
To: "info-ibmpc" <info-ibmpc@isib>

How can a person disable the function of certain keys, like CONTROL-S and
CONTROL-P), under MSDOS?  For example, if you just want to read these keys
from the keyboard without the printer getting enabled if you typed CONTROL-P
or you don't want the program to suspend operation if you type CONTROL-S.

By the way, I'm using a Z100 with MSDOS version 2.18.

Greg Elder

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 22 Nov 1985 13:17 EST
From:           George P. Dake  <DAKE%UCF1VM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject:      Linkage-Editor Query
To:  <INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

Does anyone know of a linkage-editor for the P.C.? By linkage-editor, I mean
the equivalent of a linker, but the output is an .OBJ file instead of
an .EXE file. You could resolve references to libraries, and make
an .OBJ file, so that you needn't include the library when you link that
object file.

Please respond to me directly as I get Info-IBMPC in digest form...

Thanks,

Geo

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 22 Nov 85 17:01:46 cst
From: minkoff@anl-mcs.ARPA (Mike Minkoff)
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: Graphics Terminal Emulators for AT Query

Are there any graphics terminal emulators available for an AT?  Initially, I'm
seeking a Tektronix 4014 emulator, however I'm interested in a color emulator
as well, e.g. Hewlett Packard 2627a.

Mike Minkoff
minkoff@anl-mcs.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Sun 24 Nov 85 23:53:13-EST
From: Robert S. Lenoil <LENOIL@MIT-XX.ARPA>
Subject: Speech Digitizer Query
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA, info-micro@BRL.ARPA

I am about to begin thesis research on voice transmission over a local area
network.  I need the capability to digitize voice and upload the data to a
microcomputer (preferably an IBM-PC).  A unit that can also download digital
data from a micro and play it back as speech would be desirable.  Interface
can either be RS-232, plug-in PC board, or other.  All info would be
appreciated.

Robert Lenoil
ARPA: lenoil@mit-xx.arpa
USENET: {ihnp4,allegra,decvax!genrad,harvard}!mit-eddie!lenoil
CSNET: lenoil@mit-mc.csnet

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 25 November 1985 16:44:28 EST
From: Joe.Newcomer@a.sei.cmu.edu
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: Appletalk Query

Does anyone know of a PC-to-Appletalk connection?  (I want to access
the networked Laserwriter from my PC).

------------------------------

From: lewis <lewis@sri-tsc>
Date: 25 Nov 1985 1545-PST (Monday)
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib
Cc: lewis@sri-tsc
Subject: Unix Editor ELLE for PC-DOS Query

Hello,
        has anyone ported the screen editor 'ELLE' to run with MS/PC-DOS,
that is, not with UNIX? Please reply direct to me.
Thanks
Mark Lewis

------------------------------

Date: Mon 25 Nov 85 18:08:57-PST
From: Willis Dair <G.Dair@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
To: INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: Scientific Characters for Hercules Query

I am posting a message for a colleague of mine.  You can reply to me
directly (through mail) or to him.
---
I would like to buy an off-the-shelf ROM chip to go into a Hercules Graphics
Card which has a character set containing all characters on a Diablo 630 ECS
scientific print wheel.  If anyone knows of a source, I'd appreciate a note or
call (I'm not on the network) to the following address:

                David J. Buerger
                Director, P.C. Center
                Santa Clara University
                Santa Clara, CA  95053

                (408) 554-4039

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 25 Nov 85 23:31:46 EST
From:     CHRIS <turek@BRL-TBD.ARPA>
To:       info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA
Subject:  .PIF Files Query

  I found two files included on the Supplemental Programs Disk with
PC-DOS 3.1 that had '.PIF' extensions. ( basic.pif and basica.pif )
Anyone know what these files do?  I couldn't find any reference to them
in the DOS manual.  Did I miss it?

                                        Chris@BRL

------------------------------

Date: 18 Nov 1985 09:19-EST
From: James.Moody@IUS1.CS.CMU.EDU
To: Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: Another Hard-Disk Query

I have seen many queries posted pleading for information/advice on
hard disk subsystems for the PC, however all of the answers were to be
directed to private mailing addresses and not to be published in the
Digest.  As I would like to add a hard disk to my basic PC (yes, just
PC - not XT or AT) I could really use some advice, so I'd like to post
a query of my own.

Specifically, I am leaning toward an external system of about 10~20MB.
Has anybody had good (or poor) experience with QUBIE'?  Would anyone
recommend another brand or supplier?  Has anyone tried the
Hard-Drive-On-A-Card that has come out recently?

Anybody who would care to play big brother/sister and relate the wisdom
garnered from their own experiences is invited to send mail.  It is
appreciated.

------------------------------

From: Brint Cooper  <abc@BRL-SEM.ARPA>
Subject: Hard Disks for Tandy 1000 Query
Date: 22 Nov 85 03:09:19 GMT
To:       info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA

We're looking for "third party" sources of hard disk controller boards and
drives for a Tandy 1000.  We admit little expertise in the area.  Will any "PC
compatible" controller and drive work?  Does anyone know if the T-1000 power
supply will support the drive or will we need a separate power supply?

You may post your reply or mail it.  We'll watch both.

Thanks,
Brint Cooper

         ARPA:  abc@brl.arpa
         UUCP:  ...{seismo,decvax,cbosgd}!brl-tgr!abc

------------------------------

From: Sam Ciraulo <sam@RIACS.ARPA>
Subject: Paradox: Relational Database Query
Date: 21 Nov 85 00:45:12 GMT
To:       info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA

I am currently in the process of evaluating "Paradox" by ANSA Software for
use in our organization.  I would appreciate any comments from those
who either have used this program or have other information that might
be helpful regarding Paradox or any other relational database program.
Since I do not read the net often, would you please send your responses
        sam@riacs (ARPANET)
        {amdcad, hplabs}!riacs!sam

I would appreciate responses as soon as possible.

Thanks

Sam Ciraulo

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------