[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V4 #143

Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA (Info-IBMPC Digest) (01/01/86)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Tuesday, 31 December 1985      Volume 4 : Issue 143

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Topics:

			      Kman and C
		   Parking Heads on the AT (3 Msgs)
	  IBM's New 32 bit Machine - not an 80386? (2 Msgs)
		  SHIFT-Prt Screen from within BASIC
			(More) Interleave Info
		  Interleave Factors for Hard Disks
		      X.PC and IP/TCP Protocols
			 LAN's for the IBM PC
		      Microsoft C v3.00 chsize()
			  Fastback Algorithm
	 Bug Report:  MS-DOS Command-Line Processing (2 Msgs)
		 Source Code for PC Version of SWEEP
		  Public Domain C Compiler and TM/1
		  Above-Board Memory Expansion Spec
			 Rogue Documentation.
		      Printers for Final Word II
	   Adapting a PC Jr Joystick to a PC Game Connector
			DEBUG - A Cheat Sheet

Date: Thu, 26 Dec 85 13:31:08 EST
From: Dan_Bower%RPI-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Kman and C

A clarification to my referrence about speeding up Kman: An
alternate to Kman's procedural language, which is interpreted, is
Lattice C. MDBS, Inc. sells a library of Kman calls for the
Lattice C compiler. (As I recall, Kman is written in C, and I
think MDBS uses the Lattice compiler for PC development.) Anyhow,
I was not suggesting that, for speed, one would have to scrap the
DBMS entirely; just use a compiled language in lieu of the
interpreted procedural code.

------------------------------

Date: 27 Dec 1985 21:37:34 PST
Subject: Parking Heads on the AT
From: Craig Milo Rogers  <ROGERS@USC-ISIB.ARPA>
To: IEEE-CS@SU-SIERRA.ARPA

	In the back of the Guide to Operations manual which should have come
with your IBM-PC/AT you should find a diskette labelled "Diagnostics for IBM
Personal Computer AT".  On that diskette you should find the program
SHIPDISK.COM.  Since this program is onlu 690 bytes long you should be
able to disassemble it fairly easily.

					Craig Milo Rogers

------------------------------

Date: Fri 27 Dec 85 22:27:28-PST
From: IEEE CS Students <IEEE-CS@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>
To: ROGERS@USC-ISIB.ARPA

Craig:

  Thank you for your response. I've looked at SHIPDISK.COM, and am still
wondering:

               1) Will MS-DOS be "confused" if the heads are moved
                  to the landing zone and a subsequent DOS call is
                  made?

               2) Is the sequence the same for all disks (non-IBM
                  as well as IBM)?

               3) I've heard before that SHIPDISK.COM only works with
                  the version of DOS included on the same disk with
                  it (NOT the ordinary 3.0 or 3.1). Can anyone confirm
                  or refute this?

Again, please address replies to <IEEE-CS@SU-SIERRA.ARPA> as well as to
the digest.

Regards,

Brett Glass

------------------------------

Date: 28 Dec 1985 16:55:59 PST
From: Craig Milo Rogers  <ROGERS@USC-ISIB.ARPA>
To: IEEE CS Students <IEEE-CS@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>

	I don't think that DOS will be confused if you try to do disk I/O
after parking.  The worst case that I can imagine is the heads will seek to
the wrong track, which should lead to a recalibrate, which should let
the heads seek to the right place on the (automatic) retry.  But you're
right, it wouldn't hurt to check this out.  (On my home system, see
below, I know it works OK).

	I'm certain that the SHIPDISK that came with my office IBM-PC/AT
works with my DOS 3.10... I use it that way all the time.  I've installed
a copy of SHIPDISK that I call LOGO (short for LOGOUT).  When It comes
time for me to go home, I just type LOGO and power off my PC... just
like I used to do in the days of TOPS-10/TOPS-20/VMS etc.

	Internally, the sequence for parking a disk varies radically
from controller to controller.  The IBM-PC/AT's fixed disk adaptor
has an entry in its drive type tables for the parking area, but the
XT doesn't.  For my home system (Westeen Digital WD2 controller,
Miniscribe half-height disk) I wrote a special program to work with
the particular controller/drive combination.

					Craig Milo Rogers

------------------------------

From: John Krist <jk@utastro.uucp>
Subject: IBM's New 32 Bit Machine - not an 80386?
Date: 28 Dec 85 17:01:16 GMT

     I have been informed by someone that the IBM 32 bit machine does not
  use a 80386.  But I was assured by the person I talked to from IBM that
  the computer will run PC software.  All I can guess is that maybe it
  uses a 68020 running an emulation program (probably a good deal faster
  than an PC or XT).  What's going on?

   John Krist
   U. Texas Astronomy Dept.
   jk@utastro.UUCP

[Dubious that a 68020 could emulate an 8086 in any reasonable fashon.
While we enjoy repeating these rumors, they are just that. I think it
is a bit early to see a 386 machine hit the streets. In the past
Intel hasn't been that speedy in getting new chips to market. The 32
bit Risc machine has been around CMU and other university test sites for a
while now running Berkeley 4.? Unix. IBM experiments with a lot of
neat machines some make it to market. -wab]

------------------------------

From: jeff@ucla-locus
Date: 29 Dec 85 08:53:37 GMT

The new machine is not a 80386, but rather an internally developed RISC
machine being released as a workstation  (See PC Week, Dec. 3).  It is
supposed to run Unix Sys5 and something else, but I don't believe it
will run DOS directly.  The article said a co-processor 286 will be
available, however, so DOS could use that.  Also, the RISC machine will
be available on a co-processor board for the AT.

They are supposed to make the announcement in Jan, and I believe it was
to ship in April.  I assume that IBM is working on a 386, but I don't think
that will be out in the near future.

Jeff Schaffer
ARPA: jeff@ucla-locus.arpa     UUCP: ...!(ucbvax,ihnp4)!ucla-cs!jeff

------------------------------

From: todd%trsvax.uucp@brl
Subject: SHIFT-Prt Screen from within BASIC
Date: 26 Dec 85 22:34:00 GMT

	To print the screen from BASIC, a short assembly language
	program will do the trick. The assembly language routine is
	embedded in a string, and should work with any MS-DOS BASIC.
	To use it, just say GOSUB 900.

	900 ' Dump screen using INT 5
	910 A$ = CHR$(&HCD) + CHR$(&H5)		' int 5 instruction
	920 A$ = A$ + CHR$(&HCB)		' far return instruction
	930 ENTRY!=PEEK(VARPTR(A$)+1)+256*PEEK(VARPTR(A$)+2)
	940 CALL ENTRY!
	950 RETURN

	This information has been provided by an individual.
	... canonical disclaimer ...

						trsvax!todd
						Tandy Corp.

------------------------------

From: Rick Richardson <gemini@homxb.uucp>
Subject: (More) Interleave Info
Date: 28 Dec 85 13:22:58 GMT

I have an IBM PC/AT running at 7.5 Mhz, and just ran a comparison
of interleave factors.  I found that an interleave of 4 gives the
best performance, although 5, 6, or 7 aren't much worse.  Anything
less than 4 caused the performance to be cut in half.  This was
under the Venix/286 SVR2 operating system.  Your (DOS) mileage may vary.

Rick Richardson, PC Research, Inc. (201) 922-1134
..!ihnp4!houxm!castor!{rer,pcrat!rer} <--Replies to here, not to homxb!!!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Dec 85 18:56 GMT
From: DEVOTO%LLL@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Interleave Factors for Hard Disks

The recent message on interleave factors for hard disks was interesting, but
we need more details--how do you change the interleave factors on the WD
or other controllers?  what is the issue of Byte in which this is described?
Tim Margeson please give us details.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 28 Dec 85 20:07 mst
To:  info-ibmpc@usc-isib
From:  bobw%usu.bitnet@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: X.PC and IP/TCP Protocols

Where can we get specifications and information on implementing the X.PC
communications protocol?  Is it implemented in any Public Domain communication
program for the PC?

Also, am interested in details of TCP/IP protocol.  I understand this info is
on line on arpa, but dont know how to get it via bitnet.  Any help would be
appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff Jacobsen (WA7MBL)
Bitnet: BOBW@USU
CS: 72446,2557

------------------------------

Date:         Sun, 29 Dec 85 20:21 EST
From: Yedidyah Langsam  <YDLBC%CUNYVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: LAN's for the IBM PC

To the individual who requested help with LAN's for the PC, here at
Brooklyn College we have set up at network using 3COM hardware and the
Novell Netware/E software. We are very satisfied!! After much investigation,
we could find no other LAN software which provides such good security
facilities (especially important in a student environment). The system
is flexible and efficient. Novell makes available system calls and hooks,
so that you may develop software directly for the LAN. There is probably
more applications software available for Novell thatn for any other LAN.

I will be glad to help anyone concerning our experiences. You can mail me
directly (YDLBC@CUNYVM on bitnet), or call me:

Yedidyah Langsam
CIS Department
Brooklyn College
718-780-4161

[We use 3Comm hardware and software here at ISI. This has little or
no security but we don't consider that particularly important. As we
don't strain the servers much we have never run into performance
problems. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Dec 85 09:34:42 est
From: morrell@mitre.ARPA (James Morrell)
Full-Name: James Morrell
Subject: Microsoft C v3.00 chsize()

Can anyone confirm that the Microsoft library function chsize() does work. I
have tried and get the expected result codes but the file length just seems to
stay the same. I am using the small model, an AT with DOS 3.1.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Dec 85 10:46:00 EDT
From: "James L. Blue" <blue@nbs-sdc.ARPA>
Subject: Fastback Algorithm

Fastback allegedly copies files much faster than DOS copy.
Does anyone know how they do it?

------------------------------

Date: 30 Dec 1985 15:11:42 EST (Monday)
From: Ray Chen <chen@mitre-gateway.arpa>
Subject: Bug Report:  MS-DOS Command-Line Processing

Bug:	The DOS 2.0 command-line parser treats filename.any-suffix
	as filename: if filename is the name of an installed
	character device.

Repeat-by:

	copy con.doc test.doc <return>

	DOS will behave as if you typed "copy con: test.doc <return>".
	For more fun, create a file named test.doc and type

	copy test.doc con.doc <return>

	and watch the contents of test.doc scroll by on your screen.

Comments:

	This bug has been verified for DOS 2.0 only although it is
	obscure enough that I suspect it may exist in all versions
	of MS-DOS.  Anybody running DOS 2.1 or 3.0 want to verify this?

Personal Comment:

	<Speculations on the ancestry, intelligence and personal
	habits of the authors of MS-DOS 2.0.  Unsuitable for
	mixed company.>

Note:	I won't have ARPANET access for a while and I don't
	read the USENET IBM PC group so please mail me any
	comments or information as I won't see them otherwise.
	Thanks.

	Ray Chen
	ARPA:  chen@mitre-gw.ARPA (until Jan. 2)
	UUCP:  gatech!gitpyr!chen

[The bug is still there in DOS 3.1 -wab]

------------------------------

Date: 31 Dec 1985 13:43:01 PST
From: Richard Gillmann <GILLMANN@USC-ISIB.ARPA>
To: Ray Chen <chen@MITRE-GATEWAY.ARPA>

All device names are reserved in DOS and cannot be used as filenames.
This has always been true, even for DOS 1.0 and it is documented,
starting with page 2-8 of the DOS 1.0 manual and in every one since.
The reserved device names are CON AUX COM1 LPT1 PRN and NUL.  The
purpose of this seems to be to avoid confusion between device names
and file names.  While this may be misguided I don't think I'd call it
a bug.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Dec 85 11:32:21 PST (Monday)
Subject: Source Code for PC Version of SWEEP
From: Burton.osbunorth@Xerox.ARPA

The very useful SWEEP program originated in the CP/M world, and a PL/I
source listing was available.  Does anyone know if the author of the
CP/M sweep (Robert Fisher, Chicago) wrote the PC version?  Is the source
available?

SWEEP allows file maintenance operations on the entire directory of a
CP/M disk, or a DOS directory/subdirectory.  Files are listed one per
line,  with the spacebar/Enter key and the baskspace moving the program
to the next/previous "current" file.  The user can
delete/rename/list/copy to another name or volume.  Additionally,  one
of the important aspects of SWEEP is that files can be tagged, for
"mass" copy/delete/rename operations.  Some versions of SWEEP also
perform squeeze/unsqueeze operations.  There are also functions for
determining free disk space, and changing logged in volume, and the
subdirectory within the volume.

SWEEP, and its descendants, is one of the most popular utility public
domain utility programs in the CP/M world, and the DOS version I use
(V1.30) merely replicates the CP/M program's features with some
incremental improvements.

Phil Burton
Xerox Corporation
415 496 6515

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 30 Dec 1985 04:26:08-PST
From: ahaynes%latour.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM
Subject: Public Domain C Compiler and TM/1

	Is there a public domain C compiler, and if so please
	give some pointers as to where I can find it?

	also has anyone usedf
	TM/1?  What do you think of it.

					Thanx  in advance  -> Niece <-

------------------------------

Date: 30 Dec 1985 18:09:52 EST
Subject: Above-Board Memory Expansion Spec
From: Franklin Antonio <QUALCOMM@USC-ISID.ARPA>

Where does one obtain an OFFICIAL copy of the Intel/Microsoft/Lotus
above-board memory expansion specification?  I'm not looking for
magazine articles about the spec, but the actual spec itself.
Is there someplace i can send $$$, and get a copy?  Is it maybe online
somewhere on the net?  (am i dreaming?)

Ditto re the Digital-Research/somebodyelse/somebodyelse expanded memory
spec.  Any info appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Dec 85 15:59 PST
From: "Morton Jim"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Rogue Documentation.

   I am looking for information on the IBM-PC  implementation of the computer
adventure game "ROGUE".  I have seen it played in several places, but do not
have pointers as to how to get it.  I am also interested in documentation for
the game.  I have seen various refrences to IBM-PC public domain software
libraries available via ARPANET but do not have complete directory structure
information.  If you could please send replies direct to me I would appreciate
it very much.
   Thank you for the consideration  & happy Gnu year.
         Jim Morton
      ARPA:  MORTON JIM@LLL-MFE

[Rogue isn't Public domain. Hack is very similar and is public domain. -wab]

------------------------------

Date:  Mon, 30 Dec 85 13:34 EST
From:  Hess@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Printers for Final Word II
To: Janet Asteroff <US.JFA@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>

The Okidata Pacemark 2410 was a nice printer, although we haven't had
one in-house for a year or two now.  I don't really recommend the Epson
or Epson-like printers (I include the Proprinter here) because
microspacing (which has to be done for justification in proportional
space mode) always wiggles the printhead, and consequently is slow.  But
it works, and in 12-pitch, with microspacing turned off, it runs pretty
quickly on Epson LQ and FX printers.  (Avoid the RX for reasons Joe
Newcomer mentioned in a previous digest.)

[personal opinion...] Actually, I don't like any of the dot matrix
printers I've had to write FinalWord II drivers for.  Why not get an
inexpensive, slow, daisywheel printer?  $700 mail-order, Brother or
Dynax mechanism (marketed by many people, e.g.  Televideo), Diablo
emulation, works with everything including FW II.  It looks a lot better
than what dot-matrix printer manufacturers claim is letter-quality.  The
Brother HR-15 or Dynax DX-15(?)  are pretty good deals.

Brian (Hess.Unicorn @MIT-Multics)

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 31 Dec 1985 01:25 EST
From:           Mike Kramer  <MMKBC%CUNYVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Adapting a PC Jr Joystick to a PC Game Connector

I am trying to connect a PC-Jr joystick to an IBM PC game adaptor
input.  The joystick is compatible as far as electrical characteristics
and number of input lines.  The only problem is  a physical one -
the IBM PC-Jr Joystick plug is not plug-compatible with the IBM PC game
input jack.  I am trying to construct an adaptor plug to go from the
PC Jr. joystick to the IBM's 15 pin subminiature D plug on the PC.

Can anybody tell me what is the name of the joystick male connector
on the back of the PC-Jr, and better yet - where I can get one?
(It is the plug on the back of the PC Jr. labelled "J").
I have no problem with the PC end of things because the
plug that fits into the PC's game port is standard - a
15 pin male subminiature D plug. (AMP part numbers
AMP 728-2, AMP 728-3, AMP 723-2.)

Is there a PC Jr. tech ref manual that has this info?
If I successfully do this, I will detail the procedure for the
net.

(You can order a PC-Jr joystick from IBM for $15 until Jan 31.
Call  1-800-IBM-PCSW.  That catalyzed this project.)

Thanks,
Mike Kramer
Brooklyn College Physics Dept.

------------------------------

From: Henry Schaffer <hes@ecsvax.uucp>
Subject: DEBUG - A Cheat Sheet
Date: 25 Dec 85 21:13:46 GMT

<>I use the DEBUG program at widely enough spaced intervals that I don't
remember all the details of the commands, and the Quick Reference Card
supplied by IBM (in the Ver 2.10 manual) doesn't have enough information
to keep me going.  I do use DEBUG enough that looking stuff up has become
a bit of a pain, and so I wrote up a cheat sheet (uh, ... make that a
Reference Card) that has what I need on it.

  I am submitting it to the net because it might help others, and because
I hope that any errors or omissions will be brought (gently) to my
attention, and so I will have a more useful reference.

--henry schaffer

		    DEBUG SUMMARY    ver 0.3	H. E. Schaffer 	12/85
							n c state univ
    INVOCATION:   DEBUG [filespec] [parm1] [parm2]

		    COMMAND SUMMARY

   Name 	  Format	     Comments - (default register(s))

Assemble	A[address]	Default: starts at 100

Compare 	C range address For ending address in range, use offset only.
				(DS)

Dump		D[{address|range}] Default: Starts at 100 or after previous D.
					    (DS)

Enter		E address [list]  With no list enter 1-2 hex chars after
		  prompt;
				space bar to advance, - to back up,
				Enter key to end command. (DS)

Fill		F range list	Reuses list if list shorter than range. (DS)

Go		G[=address] [address[address...]]    Up to 10 breakpoints.

Hexarithmetic	H value value

Input		I portaddress		Displays byte read.

Load		L[address[drive sector sector]]       (CS)

Move		M range address 		      (DS)

Name		N filespec [filespec]

Output		O portaddress byte

Quit		Q

Register	R [registername]	Default: shows all registers & flags.

Search		S range list			      (DS)

Trace		T[=address][value]	Default: (CS, IP); one instruction.

Unassemble	U[{address|range}]	Default: starts at 100 or after last U
					Will complete last instruction. (CS)

Write		W[address[drive sector sector]]  BX, CX have no. of bytes (CS)
						     ^low order
			     Notes

Commands are case insensitive, given after the DEBUG "-" prompt.

Ctrl-Break to end a command.

Ctrl-Num Lock for No-Scroll (any other char to restart).

			PARAMETER DEFINITIONS

address 	[{seg reg|seg addr}:] offset

byte		1-2 hex chars

drive		single digit  0 for A, 1 for B, etc.	    see Load, Write

filespec	[drive:][path]filename[.ext]		    see Name

hex char	0 through 9, A through F  (case insensitive)

list		{byte|string} ...

port address	value					    see Input, Output

range		address{{ |,}address | L value}
			     ^offset	 ^for 10000 use 0
			      only

registername	AX BX CX DX SP BP SI DI DS ES  (case	    see Register
		SS CS IP PC F		       insensitive)

sector sector	really sector sectors(involved) 	    see Load, Write
		       ^value ^value (values 1-3 hex chars)

string		char(s) in single or double quotes
		can use opposite type within the other
		to use same type within - double it

value		1-4 hex chars

			Notes

Commands and parameters may be delimited.  Consecutive hex values
must be separated by a delimiter.

[   ]	item(s) enclosed are optional

{ | }	choose one of the items

...	repetition of the previous item allowed

End of Info-IBMPC Digest

-------