[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V5 #1

Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA (Info-IBMPC Digest) (01/04/86)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Saturday, 4 January 1985      Volume 5 : Issue 1

This Week's Editor: Eliot Moore <Elmo@USC-ISIB>

Today's Topics:
                  Administravia - Undigestification
                         & Call for Comments
                   Source for ARC450 Now Available
                  QMODEM Version 1.33 Now Available
               XON/XOFF Support for COM1 (LaserWriter)
                      Reserved Filenames in DOS
                            X.PC Protocols
              Expanded Memory Specification (2 Messages)
                   PC SWEEP Sources in Tech Journal
                   Fastback Algorithm (2 Messages)
Today's Queries:
                        Shipdisk (2 Messages)
                   Accelerator/RAM Expansion Boards
                     4k Digital Camera Recorders
                            Expert Systems
                 IBM 512 KB Card on 128 KB Boundaries

Date:     Thu, 2 Jan 86 9:39:44 EST
From:     Kenneth E. Van_Camp (LCWSL)  <kvancamp@ARDC>
To:       info-ibmpc@usc-isib
Subject:  Undigestification

	I've been receiving the info-ibmpc digest for a while
now, and I think it's time I found out how to read this a little
more efficiently.  A posting like the recent one summarizing the
entire Xmodem protocol can be a real hassle, because of the
excessive length.  I'm on a Unix system, and our modified mail
utility works great for most messages.  Since I get the digest as
one huge mailing, however, there is no way of reading it except:
(1) paging through it with More; or (2) going through the editor
[slow on our mainframe]; or (3) downloading to my PC where I can
use some quicker file scan utilities like BROWSE.
	None of these three solutions is particularly convenient,
especially compared to my normal mail utility.  Since I imagine
there are a lot of people in similar situations, I figured
someone out there has probably come up with an elegant solution.
What I'm looking for is a C program or shell script for Unix that
will separate out the messages in the digest and present some
simple options like paging only through selected messages based
on the subject or sender name.  Of course I could write such a
program myself, and I probably will if no one else responds.

[Several options exist here.  One such program is on
 <INFO-IBMPC>UNDIGESTIFY.C - and is currently untested.
 Secondly, there is an "undigestify" macro for gnumacs/rmail.
 And for TOPS-20 users, the BABYL library has an undigestify function.
 Each is designed to break a digest into its component messages.
 --Elmo]

	At the very least, I would be satisfied with a version of
More that lets me page backwards as well as forwards in a file.
Something like BROWSE on the PC.  Speaking of BROWSE, by the way,
does anybody have any documentation on this?  This is an
excellent file scan utility, and I know it's public domain but I
can't remember where I got it from.  I use it all the time to
page through files, but I know there's more to it because when I
press certain keys I get curious error messages that suggest
there are other commands available.   I've checked through the
usc-isib and Simtel20 archives, but I can't find it.  Any help on
how to use more of its features, or a pointer to the
documentation, would be appreciated.

		Ken Van Camp <kvancamp@ardc.arpa>

------------------------------

Date:  2 Jan 1986 13:04:44 PST
Subject: Re: Quick Way to View digest
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@USC-ISIB.ARPA>
To: Kenneth E. Van_Camp (LCWSL) <kvancamp@ARDC.ARPA>
cc: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

All the editors agree the digests are too long. Also our turn around for
publishing messages is too long. More shorter digests are a nice ideal but
appear to be impractical for this all volunteer effort. Frequently I include
things like the XMODEM protocol document purely for archival purposes. Once I
put something in a digest I can usually find again. Usually I try to put such
messages at the end of a digest, but often forget to do this. I will make
this a new year's resolution.

I think it is wonderful if sites do stuff to make reading and archival of
digests easier.  We would be glad to keep such software in our program library.
Unix specific stuff is probably best distributed via normal unix communications
media as we don't speak unix here and wouldn't know what to do with it.

I have always prefered terminals with scrolling memory. At ISI we always had
Hewlett Packard terminals so I use Dick Gillmann's VDTE which emulates a HP
terminal with 7 pages of scrolling memory per terminal line (the program allows
two simultaneous connections if you have two com ports.) Kermit also has
scrolling memory (although I believe less).

I find scrolling memory real useful for reading long things like digests. I
can scan just fine at 9600 baud and usually find I am just getting interested
in something as it is rolling off the top of the screen. I then hit the ^S
and page back to read the article. Try Kermit as your terminal emulator it
might make reading digests easier.

Now is a good time for everybody to send in their complaints and suggestions
for the future of INFO-IBMPC. The editors (who rarely see each other) will
be meeting some time this month. We probably will be looking for more volunteer
help once we get organized.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1986  18:36 MST
Sender: KPETERSEN@SIMTEL20.ARPA
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: Source for ARC450 now available

The source code for ARC450, the latest ARChive program for MS/PCDOS is
now available from SIMTEL20 as:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<CPM.PCDOS>
ARC450SR.LBR.1			BINARY	 71680  8CBAH

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Jan 1986  18:38 MST
Sender: KPETERSEN@SIMTEL20.ARPA
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: QMODEM version 1.33 now available

which is now available from SIMTEL20 as:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<CPM.PCDOS>
QMDM113.ARC.1			BINARY	152320  AB2DH

--Keith

------------------------------

Date:  Thu, 2 Jan 86 09:47 EST
From:  "Roger C. King" <RCKing@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject:  XON/XOFF support for COM1 (LaserWriter)

I just received a pointer to a new routine (30Sep85) on SIMTEL20,

XONXOFF.ASM in pd:<cpm.pcdos>

which, after assembly, works for me using XyWrite III and the Apple
LaserWriter.  It must be made into a .COM file, and only run once at
boot since it doesn't check to see if it is already resident and keeps
using more memory if you try and run it each time you go into a
program which will use it.  It was put into the public domain by Frank
Whaley of MicroPro International.  The COM file requires only 171
bytes!

Thank you Frank Whaley.

Roger King
MIT Lincoln Laboratory

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 2 Jan 86 09:27:47 PST
From:     walton%Deimos@CIT-Hamlet.ARPA
Subject:  Reserved filenames in DOS
To:       chen%gitpyr.uucp%Deimos@CIT-Hamlet.ARPA
cc:       info-ibmpc%Deimos@CIT-Hamlet.ARPA

According to my Zenith MS-DOS Version 2 manual, if you include the line

AVAILDEV=TRUE

in your CONFIG.SYS file, the device names become "unreserved" and are then
available for use as ordinary file names.  To refer to an actual device, use
(for example) "\dev\con."

					Steve Walton
					Caltech Solar Astronomy
					walton%deimos@cit-hamlet.arpa
					walton@citdeimo.bitnet
					...!ucbvax!cithep!hamlet#walton@deimos

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Jan 86 11:47:30 est
From: BACS Access <iuvax!access@ucbvax.berkeley.edu>
To: cbosgd!info-ibmpc
Subject: x.pc protocols
Cc: bobw@usu.BITNET

Tymnet put out a huge document describing the X.PC protocol.  I have it
available on my BBS 812-824-7990 or could possibly mail it to you.  I
think its too big to post anywhere on the net.  Send me mail if you would
like it.  ACCESS@IUVAX.UUCP      Robert Cole

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 31 Dec 85 23:03:41 EST
From: Andy Adler <andya@bbnccp.ARPA>
Subject: Expanded Memory Specification
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa

Oficial documentation for the Intel, et. al. expanded memory
specification is available for free from Intel (and I imagine any of
the other parties as well).  Call 800-538-3373 and say you are a
developer.

AST and Quadram provide the same service for their superset of the
spec.  Look for an ad from one either one of them for the appropriate
phone number -- I don't have it handy.

aa

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 1 Jan 86 14:31:33 pst
From: <ubc-vision!watale!comptrol1@uw-beaver.arpa>
Subject: Sources of Expanded Memory Spec's

Official copies of the Lotus/Intel/Microsoft Expanded Memory Specification
are available by writing or calling:

	Intel Corporation
	5200 N.E. Elam Young Parkway
	Hillsboro, Oregon
	097123
	Mailstop TOC-03

	1-800-538-3373 (or 1-503-629-7367 from outside the U.S.A.) and
	ask for Technical Support.

As far as I know the current release is 3.20.  The proponents of this memory
specification request users to register themselves with Lotus so that updates
to the specification may be automatically distributed.  The specification
details the software interface only.  Intel has not released the hardware
specifications as of this date (to the best of my knowledge).

The alternative is the AST/Ashton-Tate/Quadram Enhanced EMS specification.
Current revision level is 3.0 for software, 1.0 for hardware.  Copies of the
specification can be obtained by writing or calling:

	AST Research Inc.
	2121 Alton Avenue
	Irvine, California
	92714

	1-714-863-1333 ext. 5906

AST is distributing future releases of the specification as it is revised.
Both hardware and  software specifications are provided.

For those interested in a review of expansion cards supporting either of these
specifications see:

	Enlarging the Dimensions of Memory
	Charles Petzold, Phil Wiswell, and Winn L. Rosch
	PC MAGAZINE
	January 14, 1986  Vol 5 Number 1

Hope the info is what your looking for.

Rich Williams
CSNET: comptrol1%watale@waterloo.CSNET
ARPA:  comptrol1%watale%waterloo@csnet-relay.CSNET

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 1 Jan 86 19:36 EST
From:  Hess@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: PC SWEEP Sources in Tech Journal

I think PC Tech Journal published a sweep-like program recently.  If
they did, you can find the source code on their BBS, at (212)696-0360.

Brian (Hess@MIT-Multics)

------------------------------

Date: Fri 3 Jan 86 16:06:02-EST
From: David.Zubrow <David.Zubrow@C.CS.CMU.EDU>
Subject: Redirecting Basic Output

After reading the print screen from within basic post, I thought I would pass
this info along.  You can use output redirection to capture the output of
basic programs much like "Photo" captures screen output on Tops-20 systems.  If
the console displays are set up to include blank lines between "prints" to the
screen the contents of the "photo" file are pretty legible.  This is useful if
you have a program that is used for iterative calculations and you want to
have a record of the session.

To do this just invoke the redirection when you enter basic.

Ex.  A>basica ttest > ttest.out

This records the screen displays from the program ttest in the file ttest.out.
I believe a Control-C will close the output file.  Perhaps, exitting from basic
will also do this, but I am not sure since I mostly use this with a program
that I generally just Control-C out of.

Dave Zubrow@c.cs.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date:  Fri, 3 Jan 86 13:35 EST
From:  Elefante@RADC-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Fastback Algorithm
To:  info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

>Fastback allegedly copies files much faster than DOS copy.
>Does anyone know how they do it?
     It's my understanding that Fastback uses the Direct Memory Access
feature of the IBM/PC to allow the disk controller to write data to
the disk at the same time the cpu is preparing the next chunk of data
for export.  The overall result is blazing fast disk writes.
     I use Fastback and love it.  Since I only have one floppy in my
system, I really can't keep up with the capabilities of Fastback as
well as I could if I had two, since Fastback immediately writes to the
next floppy available.  It seems that no sooner have I slipped a disk
into the slot for writing that it is crying out for the next.  That's
really not quite true, since it takes about 20 seconds or so to fill a
formatted disk (formatting is automatic and also blazing fast), but
after using the DOS Backup bulldozer, this seems like driving a
Porche.
     My only complaint is that Fastback comes copy protected, and you
need to submit another $25 to get the uncopyprotected version.  I have
no problem with that except that I haven't received the copyable
version yet and it's been well over a month.  I understand they are
fixing some bugs before releasing it.  On the other side of the coin,
I received my original by Federal Express two days after ordering it
by phone.  I paid $119 under an introductory offer, but have since
seen it advertised for $99.  It's worth the price just watching it,
and the restore user interface is magnificent. -- Don Elefante

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 2 Jan 86 09:26:42 PST
From:     walton%Deimos@CIT-Hamlet.ARPA
To:       blue@nbs-sdc.arpa

I believe that the Fastback file transfer algorithm is as follows: two
DMA channels are used simultaneously, one to read data from the hard
disk into a floppy-sized internal buffer, the other to write this data
from the internal buffer to the floppy.  The program formats a track
on the floppy on one rotation of the disk, then writes the data onto
that track on the next rotation using the second DMA channel.  The
data are written in some strange format, probably compressed--DEBUG
won't touch Fastback floppies.

Hope this helps.

Date: 2 Jan 1986 08:34:51-EST
From: mlsmith@NADC
To: ieee-cs@su-sierra
Subject: Shipdisk

     I use shipdisk religeously on a daily basis. I have an
AUTOEXEC.BAT file which includes it on a menu. It _D_O_E_S_ work with
DOS 3.1 (At least the AT version) and MS-DOS will not accept any more
keystrokes after you put the disk to sleep. It sort of acts like the
key is locked. But isn't that what you want? I have the dreaded CMI 20
Meg disk, which is one reason I am so picky about using shipdisk. We
have used shipdisk on some other 20 Meg Type 2's but nothing else.

					Bon chance,
					mlsmith@nadc

------------------------------

Date: 1 Jan 86 13:01 GMT
From: meaders @ KOREA-EMH
Subject: Accelerator/RAM Expansion Boards
To: info-ibmpc @ usc-isib.arpa
CC: jturner @ KOREA-EMH

Looking for information on various (read: any) type of accelerator
boards andRAM expansion (above 640K) boards for the PC/XT and
compatible systems.  I've read a lot of adds on both and don't really
have a good feel for what's available.

I've got a feeling that quite a few of the systems are for ATs only.
Thanks in advance.  m2

------------------------------

Date: 03 Jan 86 20:45:00 EST
From: John Przybytek <JOHN_PRZYBYTEK%CARLETON.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
To:  <INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>
Subject: 4k Digital Camera Recorders

I'm looking around for a PC based 4K digital camera recorder. Has
anyone had some experience with the Matrix QCR or PCR?

Are there other units around?

Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 2 Jan 86 16:38:00 EDT
From: "DESILVA, ERIC" <desilva@nbs-vms.ARPA>
Subject: Expert Systems
To: "info-ibmpc" <info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA>

Does anyone out there in Arpaland have any experience with any of the
moderately priced expert system generators for the IBM family of computers?
I've checked the info-IBM KWIC index and can't find any references to such,
and would be very grateful for any information anyone could provide.
				Thanks,
				DeSilva@NBS-VMS
------

------------------------------

Date: Fri 3 Jan 86 15:19:27-MST
From: Carl Diegert <DIEGERT@SANDIA-CAD.ARPA>
Subject: IBM 512 KB Card on 128 KB Boundaries

The switch setting tables on the IBM half-meg AT expansion memory card
only show how to set starting address for 512 KB boundaries.  Can this
card be set to start at 128 KB boundaries?  Can someone supply a
table/formula for setting the switches?  (I have the AT Tech.  Ref.,
but there isn't anything on this expansion board in it.  I also have
the Adv. Diag., but the tables in it are just a repeat of those in the
Inst. and Setup -- 512 KB boundaries only.)
-------
-------