[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V5 #5

Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA (Info-IBMPC Digest) (01/17/86)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Thursday, 16 January 1986      Volume 5 : Issue 5

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Topics:
			 Networking (2 Msgs)
		2 Mb for $430 from Tall Tree (2 Msgs)
	      Adding Memory to a Zenith Z-151 with RDISK
		 Graphics Terminal Emulator (Summary)
		 IBM PC POST Error Codes & AT Speedup
		   Disk clobber adventures, cont'd
    FAT City Blues, or How to Trash an AT Hard Disk with Software
			    Scrambled FATs
		     Turbo Lightning and PC-Write
		   Definicion DSI-32 Software Bugs
			 Index Program Wanted
		  Magic 8086 Instruction Op Code D6
		    VI Editor for MS-DOS (PC-DOS)
			      FOR oddity
		       Leading Edge Memory Card
		     IBM Boobytrap for AT Speedup
	    SETting the Environment from Within a Program
			   AT BIOS IRQ2 bug
			 Driving Two Monitors
			       Shipdisk
		Public Domain Stat Package for MS-DOS
		       File Protection Schemes
			   cshell (2 Msgs)
		      Hercules Screen Dump Query
		 How to Check Ready Printer from DOS
			 Math Symbol Printing
		       Microsoft Windows Review
		   Turbo Pascal (MSDOS) on Wang PCs
		       DRI's Concurrent DOS XM
	       Microsoft Access Copy Protection Removed
			 AT Speedup and Xenix
			      AT Speedup
			  Books on the 8087
		      File I/O in drvice drivers
			      Dis=n=Data
			     WANTED: uucp
		      Info on Kaypro 286i Needed
			    Wordstar Patch
	   Query about C-compilers for non-DOS environment
	   PC to Burroughs Mainframe Communication (2 Msgs)
		     HP Thinkjet vs. APL*PLUS/PC
		    Epsilon time_and_day function
		  Profit Systems Profit Board for AT
			Query on Turbo EDITASM
		     Assembling 8087 instructions
			 Zenith Z200 question
	      Rename Library Routine in Microsoft C 3.0
			     lint Wanted
		     MS Windows & Leading edge PC
		Patches for the New Personal Editor II

Date:  Tue, 7 Jan 86 07:28 EST
From:  Miyata@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Networking

I am interested in issues and product discussions related to networking
ibm pc's amongst themselves and with heterogeneous hosts, networks, etc.
Is there a digest or forum that focuses specifically on this area?  Or
is info-ibmpc the proper channel?

My area of interest is not specific to any one particular protocol
suite.  Currently, tcp/ip, ibm-pc network, token ring, netbios
interface, lu6.2, appc, novell, and chaosnet are relevant to me.

I would like to get some indication of the level of interest in ongoing
discussions and would appreciate your sending a response directly to me,
perhaps suggesting the appropriate mechanism for handling discussions.
I am only suggesting an alternative since I have seen minimal
discussions focusing on networking within info-ibmpc during the past 2
months.

Regards
Gaylord Miyata

[Gaylord works for Gold Hill makers of Common Lisp for the PC. They also
have a package that allows PCs to communicate to Symbolics Machines via
the Ethernet using Chaos protocols. Yes INFO-IBMPC encourages discussions
of networking. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 7 Jan 86 19:07:16-PST
From: David Nilsen <S.SARGON%LOTS-B.#Pup@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>

I'm interested in any opinions people have about the various ways of
networking IBM PC's.

A co-worker of mine maintains the view that since the PC isn't capable
of handling data at high rates, that RS232 running at 19.2kb is the
easiest/best way to go, and that anything else isn't worth the expense.

					--David Nilsen

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jan 1986 22:28-EST
Subject: 2 Mb for $430 from Tall Tree
From: DEVCTR@USC-ISID.ARPA

In the PC-World magazine, the TECTRAN board I mentioned advertises
their board with all the additional features.  But also include a
port for external power and thus claim nonvolitale RAMDISK.  It is
the January issue.  Probably a fluke arrangement.  I've been watching
Tall Tree ever since my last visit at USC.  Tall
Tree has very attractive prices.

Fred

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 86 15:57:50 est
From: Chris Schmandt <geek@MEDIA-LAB.MIT.EDU>

That Tecmar boards seems vapor at the moment; no one has it etc.
etc.  Ended up getting a JRAM 3 with 2 Mb which should arrive
in my office today.  $430 from Wharehouse in Phoenix.  This
shit gets cheaper and cheaper!  If it works out to be
as crash proof as I hope, I'll buy LOTS MORE RAM (oh boy).

chris

[This discussion started when Chris and Fred were looking for a RAM
disk with battery backup. There appears to be no such hardware.
Adding a power reset button to the PC should make Tall Tree RAM disks
bullet proof -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Jan 86 17:30:26 EST
From: Edward_Vielmetti%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Adding Memory to a Zenith Z-151 with RDISK
To: iph%Purdue.EDU@arthur.Purdue.EDU

 I have the RDisk unit installed, and it works quite nicely.  Available
 memory is 640K + a 640K ramdisk.  I haven't experience any problems in
 the operation of it; installation was a bit tedious (pulling 45 chips,
 replacing them with 45 new 256K rams took about 3 hours).

 Since then, I have heard (second hand) that Software Wizardry is offering
 a RamPal unit (the same type of setup) that gives 704K system memory
 and a 512K ramdisk.  Don't know about prices for that unit, or availability
 or anything; if you're interested, check out SW ads in Sextant or another
 Heath/Zenith magazine.

 For my purposes, I would rather have the maximum amount of system memory
 possible (with all the resident utilities I have, I only have 280K free
 !!!!!).  There is a tradeoff involved.

 Another thing--the RDisk is a little daughterboard, and it might be
 a tight fit if you have another card next to it.  I ended up putting
 the memory card in next to an empty slot just to be safe.

 Alternatives to the RDisk/RamPal scheme are to buy a card that implements
 the Extended Memory spec (Above Board, RAMPage! are some names).  The
 memory that you add that way is useful for more than just ramdisks;
 Lotus v2, Symphony, Ready! and Framework all take advantage of the
 extended memory.  The cost is another slot and several hundred dollars
 more for the card.  RDisk is supposed to be compatible with EMS, if
 you want to go the whole hog.

 For memory chips: Microprocessors Unlimited (check Byte ads) is excellent.
 Good prices, *fast* service (1-3 days!), intelligent people working
 there.  If you want to order industrial-size quantities of memory
 chips (100+), I have had good results with D-L-C (check Electronic
 News ads).  Service is on the order of a week to 10 days, and prices
 are better.  (A minimum order may be necessary.)

 Let me know what you decide to follow through with.

 --Ed

 Edward Vielmetti
 Computing Center Microgroup
 University of Michigan
 Ann Arbor, MI  48109

------------------------------

From: "H.LANG" <zappo@hou2e.uucp@brl>
Subject: Graphics Terminal Emulator (Summary)
Date: 7 Jan 86 14:14:30 GMT

	A little while ago, I posted the request below for a
graphics terminal emulator.  What follows is a summary of
received responses.  I have tried PC Plot-III, and it
appear to meet my needs so far.

	Thanks to everyone who took the time to respond!!

			Howard Lang
			...ihnp4!hou2e!zappo

			* * *

>>  	I'm looking for a graphics terminal emulator package
>>  for use on an AT&T PC6300.  Many of those that I've tried will
>>  only provide 320 x 200 resolution, and are therefore
>>  unacceptable.  I'm looking for a package
>>  that supports the PC6300's 640 x 400 resolution, and emulates
>>  some standard graphics terminal.  If you are using, or know of
>>  such a software package, please let me know.

			* * *

>  AT&T Tango emulate the Tektronix 4014 in 640x400.
>  It also lets you toggle between a character emulator (4410 or vt100) and
>  the graphics emulator, saving the screen in each case.

			* * *

>  I have been using a package made by GRAFPOINT called TGRAF-05, which is
>  specifically designed to work with the AT&T-PC6300. It emulates a Tek-4105.
>  The 640x400 resolution mode is strictly monochrome, but is nicely done. The
>  only drawback as far as I'm concerned is the price (>$400).
>
>  Here's who to contact:
>
>  		       Eastern Computer Graphics
>  		       59 White Rd.
>  		       Shrewsbury, NJ 07701
>
>  		       Joanne E. Merry
>  		       Sales Rep.
>  		       (201)-530-8990
>
>  _____
>
>                                                    Hope it Helps!
>  						  Rich Deighan
>  						  aluxz!rad3

			* * *

>  I use SMARTERM 4014 which emulates the Tek 4014 and
>  also provides vt100, TTY, vt452 (I think), and vt52
>  emulation.  The full resolution of the PC6300 is
>  used, and there is a softkey "zoom" feature that
>  blows a selected window of the image up to the full
>  resolution of the 4014.  It supports graphics
>  printing on Epson compatible dot-matrix printers
>  with the full resolution of the printer in a
>  half-page format.  (I use the Panasonic
>  KX-P1092.)  Documentation is quite good.  Also
>  supports scripts for managing auto-dial modems,
>  automated login's, etc.  In graphics emulation mode
>  on a 1200 baud line, response is fine.  The master
>  disc has to be in the floppy drive for start-up, but
>  not thereafter.  Response
>  time of the conventional line-oriented terminals
>  seems slower than others, ctrm, for example.
>
>  EMU-TEK has a Tek-4014 emulator.  Graphics emulation
>  is comparable to the SMARTERM 4014, documentation is
>  poorer.  Hard-copy is in full-page format.  The
>  program can be loaded into the hard-disk, but has an
>  extremely annoying copy protection scheme that is
>  invoked if the program terminates anomalously (e.g.,
>  by hanging up rather than by the appropriate
>  function key.)

			* * *

>  The latest release of PC-PLOT uses the full 640x400 resolution
>  and emulates a VT100/Tektronix terminal.  I don't know the
>  manufacturer or release number, I'm afraid.
>  Rex Godby MH x3628

			* * *

------------------------------

Date: 09-Jan-1986 1008
From: mitton%beorn.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM  (Dave Mitton)
Subject: IBM PC POST Error Codes & AT Speedup

Those who have a need to know all the IBM PC error codes, I strongly suggest
that you purchase a copy of the following for the appropriate machine:

    ???2512 % Hardware Maintenance & Service (Manual
              and Advanced Diagnostic Diskette)
              for the IBM PC (V. 2.05)                       $295
    6322513 % Hardware Maintenance & Service (Manual
              and Advanced Diagnostic Diskette)
              for the IBM PC XT (V. 2.05)                    $295
    1502242 % Hardware Maintenance & Service (Manual
              and Advanced Diagnostic Diskette)
              for the IBM PC AT                              $295

It is a three binder set, that includes a step-by-step procedure for
diagnosing any failure of any option currently availible for the PCs.
If you fill out the enclosed card, IBM will also send you information
updates and newer versions of the Advanced Diagnostics Diskette.  The
Advanced Diagnostics Disk is a general win because it allows you to
specify exactly what you want to test and also includes Hard Disk
formating and diagnostics.

It does not have the error list in a tabular format, so I cannot directly
fix the list.  However I will add that Device #s 30 = PC Network Adapter,
and #31 = Alternate PC Network Adapter.   A common error that will come
up with a PC Network Adapter is a POST error if the headend carrier is not
sensed.  This is often due not having the wire hooked up.  It can be ignored.

Speaking of updates, I am browsing the Model 239 Update, and cannot pin down
the error that will occur if your clock rate has been speeded up.  Has
someone encountered this yet??

	Dave Mitton.

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 9 January 1986 13:25:57 EST
From: Joe.Newcomer@a.sei.cmu.edu
Subject: Disk clobber adventures, cont'd

One piece of information I was given was that there is an apparent
DOS disk recovery bug (I presume this means error recovery) that
scrambles sectors.  We are running with a 15.8MB 3880-cluster (4K)
system using 12-bit FAT.  When the Norton Utilities' 'NU' program
reads the disk, it self-destructs (displays a screen of garbage and
the ESC key just exits to DOS) and even scrambles the in-core directory
for the B: drive!  There are 5 bad sectors in existing files and
5 crosslinked files (different from the files with the bad sectors).
This seems to suggest a bad hardware/software interaction.  I plan to
do it "the hard way" this evening and do some FAT-hopping to see if
there is any systematic error I can detect.
					joe

------------------------------

Subject: FAT City Blues, or How to Trash an AT Hard Disk with Software
Date: 10 Jan 86 14:28:20 EST (Fri)
From: Mark Colan <mtc@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>

I've just managed to roach my 20Mb AT hard disk again.  I have this
suspicion that its not a fault of the hardware; rather, I suspect
there is a software problem.

Any PC Disk experts care to comment?

The scenario: I'm developing a large model Lattice C program.  I
inadvertantly have use some bogus pointer (like do a
fprintf("foo\n"); forgetting the "'stderr,".  I step on a random
piece of memory.  The laws of randomness don't seem to apply, because
every time this happens it seems to write on the disk driver.

Consequently, if the program survives long enough to write out a disk
block, it goes to some random place on the disk.  I usually notice
that a file has a bad name, and the name looks suspiciously like some
text from my program.  This is the LUCKY case.

In a less lucky case, sometimes a FAT gets stepped on.  This often means
that DOS is not happy with my disk; for example, CHKDSK told me that
this was probably not a hard disk.

In both of these cases, the cause is obvious, and so is the solution:
simply reformat the disk and reload your backups.  (Uh, backups...?)

Its generally a good idea to run the Advanced Diagnostics over the disk once
before you use the DOS format, just to ensure that some of the tracks have
not gone to that big sector in the sky.  (On a cleared disk, you can seek
forever.)

Now for the TOTALLY luckless case.

I have replaced THREE hard disks which have all died from the
same symptom, and I'm really suspicious.  In running the Advanced
Diagnostics, instead of counting down from tracks 614 to 0, these disks
have started from around 306.  Early on, the diagnostic complains that
this disk has fallen below 10Mb useable space. (Note: I am unsure of the
exact values listed here; they are correct within about 10 tracks.)

Now it just does not make sense that 10Mb worth of bad tracks would
suddenly fail all at once.  So here is the theory:  the Advanced
Dianostics must expect to find some information in a special place
on the disk that DOS (or Xenix) will not normally allow you to write
on.  But if you clobber your disk driver in DOS, all bets are off;
my guess is that this special place on the disk now has garbage, AND
THE ADVANCED DIAGNOSTICS ARE NOT EQUIPPED TO DEAL WITH IT.

Just for yucks, I took the latest victim, which now believes it is a
10 Mb disk, and successfully ran DOS format on it.  DOS tells me
there is just under 10Mb of free space on the freshly formatted disk.

So disk experts:

1. is my speculation completely out to lunch, or have you ever heard
   or suspected something like this?

2. are there any fancy programs that could repair this kind of damage?
   are there any alternatives to replacing the disk?

Mark Colan
MIT Project Athena
mtc@athena.mit.edu
(617) 253-1358

Disclaimer: these speculations are my own, are potentially brane-damiged,
and are not those of my true employer, best friend, or cat.

------------------------------

Date: Sat 11 Jan 86 17:39:48-PST
From: IEEE CS Students <IEEE-CS@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>
Subject: Scrambled FATs
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

Joe:

There is a known hardware bug in some XT disk controllers that only shows
up under DOS 3.1; it's been known to show the symptoms you describe. Check
with an IBM Product Center or a dealer; they'll probably get you a freebie
upgrade.

Brett Glass
<IEEE-CS@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>
<well!rogue@LLL-CRG.ARPA>
-------

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Jan 86 14:41:47 PST
From: prandt!reynolds@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Don Reynolds)
To: amelia!info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA
Subject: Turbo Lightning and PC-Write

Turbo Lightning is a interesting program.  After using it only a few
days, I don't know if I will find the "Auto Proof" mode distracting
or not.  On-line dictionaries can be too extensive as well as too
small.  Lightning includes proper names and abbreviations.  For
instance, I use MSS for Mass Storage System.  Lightning has "mss" in
its disk-based dictionary, so it beeps as you type it, but confirms
correct spelling if you request.  I suppose they feel if you misspell
"miss" or "mess" it will be obvious.

For Ed Skinner: For WordStar compatibility, PC-Write also uses
Control-V as a toggle between pushright and overwrite modes (PC-Write
manual, page 81a).  It also works as the toggle (parameter K) for
Lightning where Scroll Lock does not.  I changed the Lightning menu
command to preempt Control-F8 instead of Shift-F8.  This better
matches PC-Write's keyboard chart, and Alt-F8 will still center a
line or marked text.

Note that Lightning will trash part of the line if you don't position
at the end of the word to be checked and then try to substitute a
word from the Lightning dictionary.  Perhaps some creative work with
SuperKey can fix this.

For Dave Thomas:  Are you saying that Control-Home-End (Lightning Owner's
Handbook, page 12) leaves things in memory?  It seems to disable Lightning.

Best,
Don

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Jan 86 10:10:16 est
From: munnari!mimir.dmt.oz!mvr@seismo.CSS.GOV (Vaughan Roberts)
Subject: Definicion DSI-32 Software Bugs

We have been using the Definicion System's DSI-32 coprocessor board in our
IBM-PC AT for a few weeks. We are quite pleased with the performance of the
board, especially when used to swap graphic memory planes to the display
screen. It does this at a rate of about 15Hz, which makes animated displays
look quite reasonable. However, some of the software provided with the
board is downright shoddy. The sin and cos routines are laughable, producing
what we have dubbed a three-quarter rectified sine wave. The line drawing
routine is also half mangled, only being able to draw lines with slopes from
+45 to -45 degrees. Of course it is not hard to fix these routines, once the
problem has been identified, but it does not inspire confidence in the rest
of the library routines supplied with the board, and is certainly not the
result of a thoroughly tested product.

----
Vaughan Roberts,		PHONE: +61 3 418-0260
CSIRO Division of		ACSNET or CSNET: mvr@mimir.dmt.oz
Manufacturing Technology,	ARPA: mvr%mimir.dmt.oz@seismo.arpa
Melbourne, Australia.		UUCP: {seismo,ukc,mcvax}!munnari!mimir.dmt!mvr

------------------------------

Date: 8 January 86 15:31-EST
From:  H156004%NJECNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
To:  INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: Index Program Wanted

I am asking this for a friend who is an american historian
using word (ver 2.0) and he is looking for a quality index program
for a long book (500 pp.) just finished. specifically, he is looking
for an indexer which will (1) index all instances of proper names, etc.
automatically (i.e., without eyeballing each); (2) search and index
multiple entries for subsequent inspection, instead of stopping after
each entry has been searched through a document; (3) search and copy
page numbers as it goes, without manually typing each instance; (4)
correct page numbers between final mss. copy and page proofs.

He knows that this is a tall order but scholars need complex indexing
capabilities.

also has anyone had any experience with zy-index? or any other
commercial programs?

respond directly to me. thanks.

------------------------------

Date:  Thu, 9 Jan 86 09:41 CST
From:  Boebert@hi-multics.arpa
Subject:  Magic 8086 Instruction Op Code D6

Anybody know what the "magic instruction" (op code D6) in the 8086 does?
This is an undocumented instruction whose cover was blown in the 30 Dec
issue of Electronic News (in the article about the Intel/NEC suit).

Earl

[The article in Electronic News quotes Intel as saying that the instruction
was included to aid in writing in circuit emulation programs. The NEC chips
do not implement this instruction. -wab]

------------------------------

From: decvax!datagen!korn@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 86 18:58:01 est
Subject: VI Editor for MS-DOS (PC-DOS)

I've gotten deluged with mail over the past few weeks asking for more
information on the PC/VI editor.  Rather than making a dozen responses
I thought I would repost my review (with some updates) to the net.

Sorry if you're getting tired of seeing this.  I'm getting tired of
acting like an ad agency!

PC/VI is an MS-DOS implmentation of the UNIX(tm) vi editor.
It is a full implementation of UNIX vi, with the only things missing
are those which don't make any sense under MS-DOS (e.g. the 'timeout' option).
Other than that, there isn't anything which I've tried which works
under UNIX which doesn't work on PC/VI.  It will run on any MS-DOS
system since it uses the TERMCAP database.  For IBM-PC's there should
be an ANSI.SYS or FANSI-CONSOLE driver installed
[Note: I've now discovered that }!fmt (or similar) commands are not
implemented (although shell escapes are)].

Reliability: The program is VERY solid.  There are a few known,
but very minor glitches.  If you find a new bug, you will
receive the next update free.

Documentation: Still incomplete, but much better than even the
original version which I received two months ago.   It is
approximately 100 pages long and MUCH better than the UNIX
documentation even now.  It is divided into chapters on Visual
mode commands, Command mode commands, Options, Regular expressions
and a general chapter on just using the editor.  Even having
used UNIX vi for years there were a few commands and a fair
amount about regular expressions which was documented in their
manual which I hadn't previously known!  As the manual is
still incomplete, the 90 day warranty period (during which you get
any updates for free) is being extended.  The 90 day timer will
not start until you get the full documentation (probably early-February).
There is also hard-copy of the on-line help which should be of help
to even veteran VI users.

Speed: If you're using a floppy only system, don't buy PC/VI.  The program
is large (128KB minimum + 64KB for extra buffers if it can get it) and
has alot of power, hence it requires alot of Disk and CPU time.
On an IBM-PC with hard disk the program is acceptable but not phenomenal.
On something like a COMPAQ (8086 and faster clock) it is more than acceptable.
On an AT it flies!  I've used it alot on the DG/One (slightly slower than
an IBM-PC) and IBM-PC's and find the performance perfectly acceptable.
It would be nice if it was faster, but whatever performance I've lost
due to it's size and complexity have been more than made back by it's
power.

Extras:  The TERMCAP Library is supplied on the distribution disk.
It was compiled using the Microsoft compiler.  Small, Medium and Large
model libraries are provided.  Documentation on calling the library functions
is now in the manual and a description of most of the entries for the
termcap database are in as well. A program I wrote using the UNIX (and PC/VI)
documentation showed that the functionality was identical.

There is a chapter on CTAGS which says it is not supplied in
the current Rev.  Tags are supported within the editor if you're willing
to write your own version of CTAGS.  (If you do, could you please send
me a copy!)

Price: $149.00 including disk, manual and shipping.
Multi-site licenses are available for $75/site.

Recommendation: If you like vi (and I realize that editors are a religious
issue!) than you will like PC/VI; in which case run, do not walk to your
mailbox with a check!  It is an excellent product and well
worth the price (otherwise I would never have written this long winded
article!)

Order from:
	Custom Software Systems
	P.O. Box 551 M.O.
	Shrewsbury, MA     01545
	617-842-1712

Note: They now have a phone number but the only times I've managed to catch
them is before 9AM and after 7PM.  They have an answering machine though
and do return calls promptly.

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this company.  Please send
any orders or information requests to the above address.

John Korn
Diagnostics Engineer
Data General Corp.
{allegra, ihnp4, decvax}!datagen!korn

------------------------------

To: info-hz100@radc-tops20.ARPA, Info-IBMPC@usc-isib.ARPA
Subject: FOR oddity
Date: 11 Jan 86 20:50:46 EST (Sat)
From: James R. Van Zandt <jrv@mitre-bedford.ARPA>

The FOR statement seems to fail when there are more than 38 characters
in the parentheses.  Why didn't Microsoft warn us?
                                     - Jim Van Zandt

------------------------------

From: Steve Solomon <solomon@AEROSPACE.ARPA>
Subject: Leading Edge Memory Card
Date: 7 Jan 86 19:02:35 GMT

Can anyone who is familiar with the Leading Edge PC (Model "M") recommend
a compatible memory card? There's no space on the mother board for a memory
upgrade; one must buy a card and I've already come across one that is
non-compatible. I'm interested in just a memory card--AST et al have a
serial port, parallel port, clock/calendar, or some combination, which
my Leading Edge already has.

On a similar note, what is the most reasonable solution to adding monochrome
graphics to the basic configuration, without sacrificing compatibility?
Is it true that the Paradise card requires *their* memory module for a
memory upgrade?

Any help or suggestions from Leading Edge users/owners will be greatly
appreciated.

________________________
Steve Solomon
solomon@aero.UUCP

The Aerospace Corporation
P.O. Box 92957  M1/114
Los Angeles, CA 90009		213-648-6616

"Wenn Forscher neben Forschern forschern, forschern Forscher Forscher."

------------------------------

Date: 12 Jan 1986 19:58:07 EST
Subject: IBM Boobytrap for AT Speedup
From: Franklin Antonio <QUALCOMM@USC-ISID.ARPA>

IBMAT's i've rcvd lately contain an updated BIOS.  New BIOS has
date 6/10/85.  (original IBMAT BIOS was dated 1/10/84.  The date string
can be found at loc F000:FFF5.)

18MHz crystals don't seem to work in the machines containing the new BIOS.
First impression is that IBM has boobytrapped the boot code to keep
people from speeding up their machines.  Has anybody out there looked
at the new BIOS code to see if this is really the case?  I don't have
a listing of the new BIOS, and have not take n the time to disassemble.

I have heard the *rumor* that IBM is about to announce a new
high-speed version of the AT, which would simply be an ordinary AT
with boot code which allowed it to run with a fast crystal, and at
the same time drop the price of the 12MHz atAT about $1000.  This
is, of course, just a rumor, but consistent with the BIOS change
noted above.

So, how are we gonna get around this?  We certainly don't want to run our
AT's at 12MHz from now on.

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 13 Jan 86 01:21:08 PST
From:     dgb%Deimos@Hamlet.Caltech.Edu
Subject: SETting the Environment from Within a Program

Does anyone out there in netland know how to do the equivalent of
set <name>=<string> from within a running program?  The problem, of course, is
that a program is passed a copy of the parent processes' environment, not "the
real thing".  I thought that command.com might posses a PSP with a pointer to
the requisite table, but this doesn't look to be the case.  There was only
one PSP down in low memory, and the environment segment field in this was set
to zero.  In addition, assuming that by hook or by crook I can manage to find
the environment reliably, how do I know how big it is?	The end of the valid
entrys is denoted by a double null.  But what about the end of the space
allocated for the table?  I could, say, search for the first occurence of the
string "COMSPEC=" in memory, and assume that this is the system environment,
but this seems chancy and inelegant at best.  If there are any know version
dependancies, I am running MS-DOS 2.11 on a Zenith-158 PC clone.  Thanks.

						--Daniel Briggs
						  Caltech Solar Astronomy
						  dgb%deimos@cithamlet.arpa
						  (818) 356-3803

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 13 January 1986 12:31:35 EST
From: Joe.Newcomer@a.sei.cmu.edu
Subject: AT BIOS IRQ2 bug

Well, I've tracked down a long-standing bug; I now know more about the
AT BIOS and hardware than I would care to, but here it is:

Problem:

A device (Roland MPU-401) is connected to the IRQ2 line of a PC or
PC/XT.  A program manipulates the interrupt register to deal with
this device.  On the /AT, when the program exits the machine can no
longer find C:.  A Ctl-Alt-Del reboot fails because C: cannot be found.

Analysis:

On the /AT, IRQ2 is the 'or' of IRQ 8-15.  The IRQ2 bus line now
interrupts on IRQ8.  The software BIOS "redirects" this interrupt
by doing an acknowledge interrupt to the secondary 8251 chip and
then doing an INT instruction.  In general, the code (which will
acknowledge the primary chip) will work the same.  BUT if it masks
off interrupts by manipulating the primary interrupt chip register
it will mask off the disk as well!

Bug:

When the BIOS starts up without a power cycle, it seems to assume that
the interrupts are turned on, and makes no attempt to enable the chip.
Only a power-reset will allow the chip to come up in whatever enabled
mode it is expected to be in.  I haven't located the BIOS code yet,
but that certainly appears from the behavior to be the cause.

Solution:

A C program reads the interrupt enable register, does an EXEC of the
desired program, and upon return resets the IER to its previous value.
The world is now happy.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 86 09:17:06 EST
From: Andy_Mondore%RPI-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Driving Two Monitors

I would like to drive two monitors (I don't care whether they're
monochrome or color) at the same time from a PC so that both
monitors display the same thing.  I'd also like to be able to
turn the signal to one of the monitors on and off so that it only
displays the data when I want it to without having to wait for
the monitor to warm up each time I want to display the data.
This set-up will be used in a Registrar's Office where a clerk
will have the PC and a monitor on her desk and the switchable
monitor will be on a counter for students to see requested
information.  Thanks.

------------------------------

Date: 13 Jan 86 11:57:05 PST (Monday)
Subject: Shipdisk
From: Burton.osbunorth@Xerox.ARPA
cc: microsof!randyn@uw-beaver.Arpa

Randy may mean well, but his advice about using shipdisk on an AT is
either incorrect, or should outrage AT owners about the quality of IBM's
engineering in their expensive new toy.  I don't know whether to laugh
or cry, since I also own an AT.

Randy notes that, "While talking with the repairmen I got the impression
that simply turning the machine off without parking the hard disk heads
runs the small but finite risk of sending an electronic signal to the
heads."

A disk drive is simply a transducer of analog magnetic pulses and
digital electrical pulses.  It is the *controller* which instructs the
drive to read or to write, etc.  If the drive heads get a false write
signal, that is the fault of the controller, not the drive.

As everyone knows, only those foolish enough to buy an AT with IBM's
drives have this problem. So, sports fans, if Randy is right, then
you've got serious controller problems as well as drive problems.

No decent, and even most un-decent fixed drive "pounds itself" out of
calibration in a year or so.  That may be true of a floppy drive, but
the averaged hard disk drive is rated at over 10,000 hours mean life,
well over a year.

Shipdisk is really not necessary.  The Winchester technology, originally
developed by IBM for their long-forgotten 3340 drive, is designed for
head- media contact, with lubricated media.

If you have a head crash  problem, a landing zone really doesn't help.
IF you bounce the drive so badly that the heads crash, then a piece of
iron oxide, that brown stuff on disk platters, will be flying around in
that sealed compartment.  And, sooner or later, it will try to fly
between the head and the media, causing a crash.  (No kiddies, there is
no Santa Claus.  And the tooth fairy is on sabbattical.)

I don't have any of these problems or worries because I use a CDC drive.
Let's face it.  IBM's 20 MB drives from CMI are dreck.

End of oration.

Phil Burton

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 86 10:39:13 est
From: "Bennett E. Todd III" <ecsvax!bet%mcnc.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: Public Domain Stat Package for MS-DOS

Gary Perlman has released to the public domain a package called
UNIX|STAT; it has been ported to the IBM-PC under PC-DOS. I don't have
the ordering information with me; if anyone wants it I can look it up.
The full announcement including an description of how to get it was
posted to net.micro.pc not too long ago; it might well be in the ISIB
archives. It looks like a quite powerful package, especially for the
price, with excellent data-handling capabilities.

-Bennett

------------------------------

Date: 14 Jan 86 07:43 EST
From: Jim Moore <moore@ncsc>
Subject: File Protection Schemes

About six or seven issues ago, PC gave a utility LOCK (and UNLOCK)
that scrambles the data in the given file (it's also downloadable
from the PC BBS). At least it can't be used to "un-hide" a file
unless the password is known.

But that presents another problem. The thug can LOCK an already locked file
(using the LOCK utility on your disk) to really muck up the stuff.

jim

------------------------------

From: jrodrig@EDN-VAX.ARPA (Jose Rodriguez)
Date: 14 Jan 1986 1003-EST (Tuesday)
To: info-micro@brl.ARPA, farber@udel-huey.ARPA, jrodrig@EDN-VAX.ARPA
Subject: cshell

The January issue of Dr. Dobb's Journal (they changed their name to
"Dr. Dobb's Journal of Software Tools") includes a software project
for an msdos cshell. I think it runs on top of command.com. From its
description it seems quite complete, it has aliases, set, history, REAL
batch files. Anyway I don't know how good it is but I thought you might
be interested. It can be obtained for $29.95 from:

Dr. Dobbs Journal
2464 Embarcadero Way
Palo Alto CA 94303

It includes the four part magazine article, and source.

I don't know how good it is, and I am not related to any of the above
mentioned parties (what do you thought -- I work for DoD). In the other
hand I am thinking of ordering it. Just passing it for FYI.

Jose
jrodrig@edn-vax

------------------------------

Date: 14 Jan 1986 15:45-PST
Sender: BILLW@SU-SCORE.ARPA
From:  William "Chops" Westfield <BillW@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
To: ghenis.pasa@XEROX.ARPA
Cc: jrodrig@EDN-VAX.ARPA

The program itself is public domain, right?  (or freeware?)
So what you are really paying at this point is a distribution
fee.  In which case it ought to be OK to upload everything
to the arpanet someplace, right?  If this is true, and
someone does it, would they please let me know?

Thanks
Bill W

------------------------------

Date:         Tue, 14 Jan 86 10:36:57 EST
From:  RUNKLE%BROWNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Hercules Screen Dump Query

Does anyone know of a way to get a screen dump from a Hercules Graphics Card ?
I'm trying to print out some plots that I'm drawing.

Dave Runkle
Department of Economics
Brown University
Providence, RI 02912

[How about the one that comes with the card? -wab]

------------------------------

From: carroll@nprdc.arpa (Larry Carroll)
Date: 14 January 1986 0927-PST (Tuesday)
Subject: How to Check Ready Printer from DOS

I need a way to find out if the printer is ready from DOS
level...Any ideas?

Reply to carroll at NPRDC

------------------------------

Cc: jcmorris@mitre.ARPA
Subject: Math Symbol Printing
Date: 14 Jan 86 15:51:03 EST (Tue)
From: jcmorris@mitre.ARPA

I'm looking for some recommendations for a package which can be used
with a PC and attached matrix printer to print complex mathematical
formulae.  I recently requested info on a package called Fancy Font
which looks interesting; are there any suggestions from NetLand about
other products?

The present tasking doesn't specify the technique a user must employ
to generate the input to the printing program.  The closest thing we
have to a standard is usoft Word, but we also have users with almost
every conceivable word processing system (and a few inconceivable ones
as well...).  The printers will be the usual IBM graphics or similar
(Epson *X w/Graftrax).

Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre)

------------------------------

Date: 14 Jan 86 11:41:42 PST (Tuesday)
From: Eldridge.ES@Xerox.ARPA
Subject: Microsoft Windows Review
cc: IBMPC^.es@Xerox.ARPA, Eldridge.ES@Xerox.ARPA

After a two year wait, Microsoft Windows has appeared; and it is a
disappointment.  I just received Microsoft Windows and I am not
impressed.

My first disappointment was that it did not support the mouse I have.
Windows will support only eight different mice; mine was not one of
them.  At first I was not too concerned because my mouse has a driver
that emulates the Microsoft mouse.  This driver allows it to run
Microsoft WORD and other such programs that use the "standard" Microsoft
mouse interface.  So I selected the Microsoft mouse as the choice in the
Windows installation and continued on.  When I actually ran Windows, the
mouse would not work.  It seems that Microsoft, the same Microsoft that
developed a "standard" mouse interface, chose not to use the "standard"
interface but to have mouse drivers that are specific to Windows.  If
your mouse isn't one that they have a driver for, you are out of luck.
I called Customer Support at Microsoft and they said there is not much
you can do if your mouse isn't on the menu.  Of course, you could write
your own driver if you purchase the Microsoft Windows Programmers
Development Kit for $500 and write the driver in Microsoft C or
Microsoft Pascal.  The mice that are supported are: Microsoft bus mouse,
Microsoft serial mouse, Mouse Systems mouse, VisiOn mouse, Logitech
Serial mouse, Kraft Joystick mouse, Lite-Pen Company Lightpen, FTG Data
Systems Lightpen and Single Pixel Board.  Information about which mice
are supported does not appear in any of the documentation.

Not having the mouse, I decided to see what I could get it to do using
just the keyboard.  The key sequences that they use to perform the mouse
functions are difficult to remember and execute.  Combinations of
Alt-Space and Alt-Tab are used along with other obscure sequences.  In
short, do not get Windows if you do not have a mouse that they support.

As for the screen presentation, it leaves a lot to be desired.  Windows
does not even provide true windows!  It should be called Microsoft
Tiles.  It does not allow overlapping windows, but uses tiling.  When a
new window is opened, the existing windows on the screen are adjusted to
make room for the new window in such a way that they do not overlap.  It
is not clear that you can make a small window in the corner and just
leave it there without having it resized every time you open another
window.  Everything is done in graphics mode.  If an application is
running in a small window (as opposed to taking over the screen) Windows
uses its own fonts.  This slows the screen update considerably.

Windows is a poor attempt at a windowing and multi-tasking package.  A
disappointment after the years of waiting.  It is definitely not worth
the $99 list price, or even the $69 I paid through PC-Connection.

If you need multi-tasking on your PC, buy DesqView from QuarterDeck
Office Systems.  It is available from PC-Connection for $65, and it does
a much better job of providing windows for the PC.

If you just want nice windows and don't care about multitasking, then
buy GEM Desktop and other GEM applications from DRI.

Save yourself some disappointment and avoid Microsoft Windows.

George <Eldridge.es@Xerox.ARPA>

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 14 Jan 86 13:41:17 est
From: "Mark A. Ardis" <ardis%wang-inst.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
To: info-ibmpc%usc-isib.arpa@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Subject: Turbo Pascal (MSDOS) on Wang PCs

Yes, generic MS-DOS Turbo Pascal runs on Wang PCs without IBM
emulation.  I have run both versions 2.0 and 3.0.  The hardest part of
getting it to run is digging out the technical information for the
"tinst" (terminal installation) program:

cursor lead-in: 27 91
cursor positioning between line and column: 59
cursor positioning after line and column: 102
column first?: n
offset to line: 0
offset to column: 0
binary address?: n
2 or 3 ASCII digits?: 2
clear screen: 27 91 50 74
does clear screen home?: y
delete line: 27 91 49 77
insert line: 27 91 49 76
erase to end of line: 27 91 48 75
start of low video: 27 91 48 109
start of normal video: 27 91 49 109 number of rows: 24 number of
columns: 80 delays (all): 0 operating frequency: 8

I have given all the values in ASCII (decimal---the way "tinst" wants
them).  The "low" and "normal" video commands are a little confusing.
You may want to experiment with changing them.

I hope this helps.
--
Mark A. Ardis                           ardis%wanginst@CSNet-Relay (CSNet)
Wang Institute of Graduate Studies       ...!decvax!wanginst!ardis (UUCP)

------------------------------

From: michael b maxwell <michaelm@bcsaic.uucp>
Subject: DRI's Concurrent DOS XM
Date: 10 Jan 86 20:01:18 GMT

From Infoworld 7(49) (=9 Dec. 1985), pg. 8, "DRI seeks PC-DOS 3.1
compatibility":
	...DRI said last week it will make its Concurrent DOS XM operating
	system completely compatible with IBM's PC-DOS 3.1...
	Concurrent DOS uses AST Research's superset of the Lotus/Intel/
	Microsoft expanded memory specification.  The specification is
	implemented in a fashion that allows users to move information in
	and out of the additional memory in a transparent fashion...
	DRI said the new system eliminates the need for developers to
	rewrite and recompile their applications to take advantage of the
	expanded memory specification...
	"To force a developer to rewrite all their applications software
	to address more than 640K of memory is foolish," Loftus said.

Can someone explain (or guess!) what this means?  In particular, does this
mean that your favorite program will be able to address >640K automatically??
And is it limited to accessing data up there in the stratosphere, or could
a compiled program extend up there itself?

Mike Maxwell
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center
	...uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!michaelm

------------------------------

From: CB Leyerle ms1/330 <Microsoft!jeffsa@UW-Beaver>
Subject: Microsoft Access Copy Protection Removed
Date: 11 Jan 86 03:06:21 GMT

1. There is absolutely no code to erase files in the copy protection.

2. We have released version 1.01 of Access. This version is NOT copy
   protected and we are mailing it free to ALL registered owners.

3. In phone discussion with the author of the article in the Washington
   Times, he only claims to have lost a few files. The article was kind
   of sensationally written ("ate the hard disk", etc.) and people have
   on the USENET been raising this to an extremely wild level. We
   sincerely regret problems that may have arisen, but we have taken
   strong action to remove the message.

Jeff Sanderson
Microsoft Corporation (..!uw-beaver!microsoft!jeffsa) 206-828-8080

[Copy Protection discussions are off limits in this digest. I made an
exception in this case. -wab]
------------------------------

From: Steve Dyer <dyer@harvard>
Subject: AT Speedup and Xenix
Date: 13 Jan 86 17:41:30 GMT

I would like to point out a problem I discovered with using a faster
crystal in my PC/AT when I installed SCO XENIX V.  I had been running
quite successfully for months under DOS with an 18.4 mhz crystal, as
opposed to the standard IBM 12 mhz crystal.  During the XENIX installation
process, and occasionally and unpredictably while running XENIX subsequently,
processes would get SIGSEGV (seg violation or memory fault) sent to them.
There was no way to predict which processes would be affected or when.
Dropping back to 12 mhz stopped the problem.  I would like to solicit
opinions from knowledgable parties on the cause of this phenomenon and
its solution.  I suspect that the memory management hardware was stressed
lightly, if at all, under DOS, and the higher clock rate can produce
glitches in the 6 mhz 286's on-chip memory management hardware.  I am thinking
about installing a new 286 chip which is rated at 10 mhz (20 mhz xtal)
and trying the experiment again.  Any other suggestions?  Anyone else
see this problem?
--
/Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu

------------------------------

From: Al Margolis <abm@ptsfa.uucp>
Subject: AT Speedup
Date: 14 Jan 86 21:07:25 GMT

I installed a speedup kit on my PC/XT which ran the system at 7.14Mhz,
and the system would not run POST diognostics without indicating
memory errors.  The solution (arrived at by guessing, not intelligence)
was replacing the AMD controler chip with an NEC part.  Since one of the
DMA channels is used for DRAM refresh, this fix seems reasonable and has
been working for several months.  I have heard opinions of both (1) the
AMD chips are a common source of trouble and (2) I was just lucky with
the individual replacementent chip since this is a marginal situation.

<< preaching >>
This is not directly applicable to the AT situation due to the different
chip sets, but I think that you can expect problems in several areas
when you push a PC to 50% or more above design speed.  On the other hand,
if you have the time & the nerve to put a soldering iron to your
$x000 machine, you can get a lot more out of it -- I'd never go back to
4.77Mhz.

<< question >>
In working through this and a few related problems, I picked up a lot of
folk lore concerning the relative quality of various chips (i.e. Intel
8237s are good, AMD's are bad; Fujitsu 41256-15s are better than OKIs; ...)
This folk lore did not discriminate between spec and pushed environments.
Are there real [significant] differences?  I am a bit surprised, especially
if true about licensed second source suppliers.  I would like to see

Please help be out of my ignorance.

Al Margolis
Pacific Bell   {ihnp4, dual}!ptsfa!abm

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 15 Jan 86 00:55 EST
From:  Paul Schauble <Schauble@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject:  Books on the 8087

Can anyone recommend a book on assembly language programming for the
8087. I need something appropriate for someone who knows 8086 assembler
and how floating point works, but not how the 8087 works.

                              Thanks,
                              Paul

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 15 Jan 86 01:03 EST
From:  Paul Schauble <Schauble@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject:  File I/O in drvice drivers

I need a quick answer to this to establish if what I want do do is
feasible. Any information anyone can provide will be greatly
appreciated.

Is it possible to do MSDOS system calls from inside the "interrupt"
portion of a device driver?  Perhaps if the driver provides its own
stack??

As an example, consider a printer device driver that provides an option
to direct printer output to a disk file. The driver will need to open a
file, write to it, and close it. Can these system calls be done?

Also, does anyone know of any source of information on writing device
drivers beyond what's in the DOS 2.0 reference manual? All I can get out
of Microsoft is that they don't support DOS at all.

                    Thanks,
                    Paul

[This has been discussed extensively in the past and a summary of the
discussion can be found in <info-ibmpc>indos.txt -wab]

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 15 Jan 86 01:09 EST
From:  Paul Schauble <Schauble@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject:  Dis=n=Data
To:  Info-Micro@BRL-VGR.ARPA, Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA

Does anyone have any experience with an MSDOS disassembler called
Dis-n-Data? This package purports to trace the object program flow of
control to identify instructions and data areas. I am very curious how
well it works.

          Thanks for any comments,
          Paul

------------------------------

From: Sam Lok <ssl@ptsfa.uucp>
Subject: WANTED: uucp
Date: 13 Jan 86 22:22:59 GMT

Does anybody know of any version of uucp software that will run on
IBM-pc?  Preferably that it is public domain software, but info on
commercially available uucp is also welcome!  Please reply by mail!

{ihnp4, qantel}!ptsfa!ssl

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Jan 86 23:26:30 est
From: Chet Edelman <coe%umass-boston.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
To: info-ibmpc-request%usc-isib.arpa@csnet-relay.arpa

I am looking into setting up an ibm-pc as a uucp server that talks to
unix hosts.  I am particularly interested in a package that lets the pc
work both as a passive and as an active uucp host.

If you use or are acquainted with uucp software written for DOS or CPM,
please send me a note describing what you know.  Since I am not a
regular recipient of info-ibmpc, please send replies directly to me.
When the replies have trickled down, I will send a summary back to
info-ibmpc.

Please also redistribute this request to other mailing lists and
netnews groups as seems apropriate.

Chet Edelman	<coe%umass-boston.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA>
		<harvard!umb!coe>

------------------------------

From: William Svirsky <svirsky@ttidcb.uucp>
Subject: Info on Kaypro 286i Needed
Date: 13 Jan 86 18:06:20 GMT

Does anyone know of any problems with the Kaypro 286i, a PC-AT
compatible?  A friend of mine is going to buy one real soon and
would like to know of any problems; compatibility, support, etc.
Thanks in advance.

--
Bill Svirsky
Citicorp/TTI

------------------------------

Date: Wed 15 Jan 86 09:17:44-PST
From: Jackie <Burhans%ECLD@USC-ECL.ARPA>
Subject: Wordstar Patch

Does anyone in NetLand know of a patch to WordStar that disables the
automatic backup file creation?  I know many people who would appreciate
this patch. Thanks in advance!

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 15 Jan 86 08:31 CDT
From:     Kenneth_Wood <kwood%ti-eg.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
cc:       KWOOD%ti-eg.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Subject:  Query about C-compilers for non-DOS environment

I am planning a project which will be developing software for an 8086
CPU board. The board includes a serial port and ROM software that provides
for down-loading software from a PC, then running the program, breakpoints,
etc. The code I need to write needs only to access certain memory locations
and the serial port. I would like to use C rather than assembly. Is there
any runtime support or C Compiler package that I can use for a project
such as this? Please respond to me (and the net if you like) and I will
summarize responses I receive.

Thanks!
Ken Wood (kwood%ti-eg@csnet.relay)

------------------------------

From: Steve Westfall <west@gargoyle.uucp>
Subject: PC to Burroughs Mainframe Communication
Date: 15 Jan 86 00:07:10 GMT

I have a friend whose company has a Burroughs 3955
mainframe (with SDLN, whatever that is; I thought he
meant SDLC, but he said no) with MT983 emulation.
(Hope I'm not messing up this terminology - I am
getting it from someone who isn't that knowledgeable).

He is one-half mile from the central site, has
a leased digital line, and wants to use his
local IBM PC/AT to communicate with the
Burroughs mainframe.  I know nothing about Burroughs
mainframes and need some advice that I can pass along to him.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Steve Westfall
Univ. of Chicago
Graduate School of Business
...ihnp4!gargoyle!west

Phone:  (312) 231-6054 (8:30 AM - 5:30 PM)

------------------------------

From: Ken Hall <ken@gitpyr.uucp>
Date: 16 Jan 86 14:17:52 GMT

Yes, there is a PC to Burroughs emulator.  Call Burroughs for information.
A company outside Burroughs wrote the software, so you may have to do some
digging to find it.

Ken Hall

------------------------------

To: ogasawar@nosc
Subject: HP Thinkjet vs. APL*PLUS/PC
Date: 15 Jan 86 15:16:43 EST (Wed)
From: jcmorris@mitre.ARPA

I called the STSC people (it's a local call, and I had another problem
to talk about anyway).  In two calls, I got as responses:

1.  No, I don't think it's supported, but try the EPSONDL workspace, or
    invoke APL with the t=3 option

2.  No, it isn't supported, and EPSONDL or t=3 won't help.  Support may
    be coming out in about 8-10 months; in the meantime write to Mr.
    Ed Myers at STSC to request support for the device.

Since I don't have a Thinkjet to play with all I can do is relay these

Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre)

------------------------------

Date: Wed 15 Jan 86 16:38:06-PST
From: Bob Knight <KNIGHT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
Subject: Epsilon time_and_day function

Hi - has anyone successfully used that guy?  Briefly, here's what I do:

command glarf()
{
	struct time_info date_time;

	time_and_day(date_time);
}

...expecting to win.  However, I get the following diagnostics from EEL:

	operation illegal with structure
	wrong number (or type) of arguments

I don't really understand what's going on...can someone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Bob

[I have used this function in EEL, but it throws away the day of the week
that DOS returns to the caller. Lugaru fixed the bug (in a later release
than I have) Perhaps you have the bug fixed but your documentation is
out of date? -wab]

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 15 Jan 86 21:15 EST
From:  "David S. Bakin" <Bakin@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject:  Profit Systems Profit Board for AT

Speaking of high speed ATs, we tried a Profit Systems Profit Board for the
AT at high crystal rates.  (Even though we use lots of those boards and
lots of ATs we only tried this experiment with one board and one AT ...)
It ran at 17.430 Mhz crystal but no faster.  Does anyone have any idea if
simply replacing the RAM with higher speed devices will make it work faster
or is it impossible?  -- Dave (Bakin -at mit-multics)

------------------------------

From: CJS@psuvm.bitnet
Subject: Query on Turbo EDITASM
Date: 14 Jan 86 14:13:44 GMT

I'm looking for an 8088 assembler that supports 8087 mnemonics.  The "Turbo
EDITASM" from Speedware is supposed to be a fast assembler, and a vendor
tells me is supports the 8087.  That's all I know.

Does anyone have experience with it, or has anyone seen a review?  I sure
would like something faster than the Microsoft macro assembler.

Christopher J. Sacksteder, The Pennsylvania State University,
  Computation Center, 122 Computer Building, University Park, PA 16802

Bitnet: CJS at PSUVM
UUCP: ...!allegra!psuvax1!cjs@psuvm.BITNET

[Try Microsoft 4.0 -wab]

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jan 1986 10:55:51 PST
Subject: Assembling 8087 instructions
From: Richard Gillmann <GILLMANN@USC-ISIB.ARPA>
To: CJS%psuvm.bitnet@BRL.ARPA

The Microsoft assembler (or at least version 3) supports 8087 mnemonics.
To activate this feature, use the /R option on the command line.

Dick Gillmann

------------------------------

From: hr@uicsl.uucp
Subject: Zenith Z200 question
Date: 10 Jan 86 22:13:00 GMT

Is anyone familiar with the Zenith Z200 AT clones? Is Xenix available?
A friend is considering buying one and is worrying about compatibility.

As we understand it, the IBM has hooks (kludges?) for getting out of
protected mode. Does the Z200? He would use MSDOS, but doesn't want
to be locked out of future options.

By the way, he purchased a LOMAS 286 board for his S-100 system over
a year ago (before the AT was available). He has been battling it ever since.
Since most of the software he wanted to use is only available for IBM
machines (and look alikes), he broke down and ordered LOMAS's video card
and PC-DOS. This system has never worked well. He had the 286 upgraded
to 8MHZ, but kept the slower 80287. Now his programs run half as fast as
they did with the 6MHZ system because of extra wait states. He is fed up
and is willing to join the crowd as long as he gets something that works.

	harold ravlin		{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr

------------------------------

From: Guido van Rossum <guido@boring.uucp>
Subject: Rename Library Routine in Microsoft C 3.0
Date: 15 Jan 86 17:51:41 GMT

Today I was bitten by a difference in interpretation of rename's
arguments between my good old 4.2 BSD and the brand new (and
otherwise GOOD!)  Microsoft C compiler (3.0).  BSD takes the first
arg as the old file name and renames it to the second arg;
Microsoft's library does it the other way around!  Could anyone
(besides Jim Cottrell :-) argue who is wrong?  Lattice C (which used
to be Microsoft C version 2.03) does it the BSD way, but I believe
this function was added after the version that Microsoft sold was
frozen.  What does system 5 do (if it has one of these routines)?
What does P1003 say about it?

PS: I prefer the BSD way because it mimics mv(1).  But I am willing
to trade my opinion for an established standard.

	Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam (guido@mcvax.UUCP)
------------------------------

Date: 15 JAN 86 14:25-N
From:  DOMMELEN%HWALHW5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
To:  INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: lint Wanted

"query lint-program"

Dear Netlandians,

Can somebody deliver me or give me a pointer to the "lint"-program for
syntax-checking of C-programs. I'm very interested in the source.

DOMMELEN@HWALHW5.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Jan 86 11:25:03 pst
From: Alan S. Nobunaga <nobunaga%marlin@nosc.ARPA>
Cc: ogasawar%marlin@nosc.ARPA
Subject: MS Windows & Leading edge PC

I am having a problem trying to get Microsoft Windows to run
on my Leading Edge PC (note: this is the model before the Model D).
I have tried installing all of the choices for displays from IBM
color/graphics compatible to Hercules to IBM EGA.  I have a color
monitor and everytime I run Windows, the screen goes white and
then it goes black.  I've tried the program on an IBM and it  works
fine--I see the Microsoft logo and then the Windows display.  The
closest I got to running Windows on the Leading Edge was when I
chose the hercules with black and white monitor option.  In this
case, the screen displayed some unreadable garbage which was similar
in shape to the outline of the Microsoft logo and then I got a
partial display of the Windows display except there was assorted
garbage scattered about.

Is there something I need to do from the hardware side to get windows
to run or is it just not compatible with my computer?

I would appreciate any advise or suggestions to get the program to
run on my computer.  Thanks...alan

Alan Nobunaga
NOSC-Hawaii Laboratory
MILNET: nobunaga@NOSC.ARPA
-------

------------------------------

From: Roy Mongiovi <roy@gitpyr.uucp>
Subject: Patches for the New Personal Editor II
Date: 16 Jan 86 15:36:36 GMT

I have just started using the new Personal Editor II for the IBM PC.
If you use PE version 1, or looked at it and decided it had some rough
edges, I highly recommend that you take another look.  A lot of work
has obviously gone into the new version, and while it may not be the
most powerful editor for the PC, it has a lot of nice features that
are easy to use.

First, rename the pe2.exe file so that debug treates it as a normal file:

        ren pe2.exe pe2 <CR>
        debug pe2 <CR>

At the debug prompt, display the registers and make note of the DS register
value.  In the following modifications, XXXX will denote the DS value, and
YYYY will denote that value plus 1000H (for example, if DS = 1234H, XXXX is
1234H, and YYYY is 2234H).

        -r <CR>

PE II has a "/q" switch to turn off the banner page/copyright logo.  The
first patch causes the banner page to default to off rather than on, and
alters the "/q" switch to turn the banner off into a "/v" switch to turn
the banner on:

        -e YYYY:09FA <CR>
        YYYY:09FA  01.00 <CR>

        -e XXXX:C469 <CR>
        XXXX:C469  71.76 <CR>

        -e XXXX:C470 <CR>
        XXXX:C470  00.01 <CR>

The second patch increases the default amount of space reserved at the
high end of memory.  I found that on my system with 576K memory, every
time I exited PE II, command.com was reloaded.  PE II has a "/rNNN" switch
which can be used to reserve space for the secondary (and initial) command
interpreters.  The documentation says that it isn't necessary to use this
switch, but I found that increasing it from the default of "/r2" to "/r18"
prevented command.com from having to reload (at least, it did for DOS 3.1).

The default value for "/r" is a word, so remember to enter the bytes in
reverse order.  18 decimal is 12 hex, so:

        -e XXXX:C55F <CR>
        XXXX:C55F  02.12 <SP>
        XXXX:C560  00.00 <CR>

Make sure that all the output you get from this patch (except for the XXXX
and YYYY, of course) is the same as that given above.  Also, make sure that
you don't patch your original pe2.  If you are certain everything went as
planned:

        -w <CR>
        Writing 11F00 bytes
        -q <CR>
        ren pe2 pe2.exe <CR>
                                                                Roy Mongiovi
--
Roy J. Mongiovi.        Office of Computing Services.           User Services.
Georgia Institute of Technology.        Atlanta GA  30332.      (404) 894-6163

End of Info-IBMPC Digest

-------