[net.sf-lovers] Tall tales in Bars

SIGEL%umass-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa (08/07/85)

From: ANDREW SIGEL <SIGEL%umass-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

Another series had stories set in "Gavagan's Bar"; these were written
in collaboration by Fletcher Pratt and L. Sprague deCamp.  The stories
were reprinted in paperback a few years back, but I don't know if they
have remained in print.

Miller.pasa@Xerox.ARPA (09/10/85)

From: Miller.pasa@Xerox.ARPA

Sparked mainly by the discussion of tall tales in bars stories earlier
this summer, I have spent some recent time reading Callahan's stories,
Draco Tavern stories, and others.  They have prompted me to ask the
following question (and since you all happen to be sitting out there
listening so nicely, I thought I'd ask it of YOU!!-- who knows, maybe
you've got an answer.)

What makes us think that any other species out there would have any
interest at all in a bar?  Granted, they seem to be fairly universal
earth customs, but why would an alien species have a desire to get
inebriated?  Or even to hold the sort of social concourse that a tavern
provides?  When you stand back and look at these quaint earth customs
(at least when I stand back and look at them,) they seem to be kind of
weird.  But then, that's one of the problems with being isolated on some
backwater planet in the boondocks of the galaxy-- since your species is
the only one you've got to compare you to, everything looks weird-- or
everything looks normal.  Take your pick.

So any way, what do you all think?

--Chris
Miller.pasa@Xerox.ARPA

arlan@inuxm.UUCP (A Andrews) (09/14/85)

> From: Miller.pasa@Xerox.ARPA
>
> Sparked mainly by the discussion of tall tales in bars stories earlier
> this summer, I have spent some recent time reading Callahan's stories,
> Draco Tavern stories, and others.  They have prompted me to ask the
> following question (and since you all happen to be sitting out there
> listening so nicely, I thought I'd ask it of YOU!!-- who knows, maybe
> you've got an answer.)
>
> What makes us think that any other species out there would have any
> interest at all in a bar?  Granted, they seem to be fairly universal
> earth customs, but why would an alien species have a desire to get
> inebriated?  Or even to hold the sort of social concourse that a tavern
> provides?  When you stand back and look at these quaint earth customs
> (at least when I stand back and look at them,) they seem to be kind of
> weird.  But then, that's one of the problems with being isolated on some
> backwater planet in the boondocks of the galaxy-- since your species is
> the only one you've got to compare you to, everything looks weird-- or
> everything looks normal.  Take your pick.
>
> So any way, what do you all think?
>

> --Chris
> Miller.pasa@Xerox.ARPA

Dear Chris, et al:

For the msot part, those alien creatures seen in Star Wars bars, and those
in most stories about SW-type bars, are vaguely humanoid in thought, form,
or habit.  If they are at the bar, one presumes they would be of the sort
that like to be in bars for some reason.

The really weird ones probably don't go to bars at all, but spend their
time in strange pursuits like golf, racquetball, and other galactic yppie
pasttimes...

--arlan