Date: 19 Feb 1986 18:10:42 PST
Subject: Administravia - Erroneous Publication
From: Eliot Moore <SWG.ELMO@USC-ISIB.ARPA>
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

In Digest V5 #23 a message regarding Smartworks with reference to defeating
copy-protection mechanisms was mistakenly published.  Info-IBMPC does not
endorse, support, or condone the use of products to defeat copy-protection,
and as such will not carry any dialogue on the subject.

Regards,
Elmo

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 86 11:57:26 est
From: ulysses!ihnp4!pur-ee!sgh@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (No Taste,  Better Filling.)
To: WISCVM.WISC.EDU!GKN3M2@IRISHMVS.BITNET, pur-ee!info-ibmpc
Subject: PC Clones

I own a Heath/Zenith 158, an XT clone.  Compared to the XTs at work, which I
unfortunately had the need to dig inside, the Zenith (or Heathkit) looks and
feels like a much better engineered machine.  The EMI/RFI levels are far
better, the screen never "snows", the CPU card is separate and removable from
the chassis, there are 3 more slots, and the power supply is 168 watts
standard (I operate 2 floppies and one hard at the same time, with all slots
filled).

The ROM BIOS does not include BASIC, but rather Zenith felt that the user
would prefer to have a diagnostics menu and disassembler instead.  I have
NEVER had trouble running any PC program; but Zenith does provide two DOS
utilities that will make the extended BIOS operate just like IBMs.  The
ROM monitor program is directly accessable either at power-up, or by the
is ready to boot the disk in 3-5 seconds (compared to IBM's 10-20).

The MS DOS does NOT include BASIC, getting away from IBM's idea of a
home "personal" computeer, and more user/programmer/business computer.
The DOS instead includes many useful utilities, such as
search-for-a-string-in-a-file, search-for-a-file,
convert-tabs-to-spaces, display-an-extended-sorted-directory, etc.
The programmer's tool kit even includes one of the best screen editors
that I have ever used (I regularly use EMACS, VI, SE, and score of
others).  The tool kit also includes a COMPLETE on-disk listing of ALL
of the BIOS, as well as VDISK.SYS and ANSI.SYS (so that you can modify
them yourself), plus version 4 of the macro-assembler.

The documentation for the operating system has been totally rewritten by
Zenith, and comes in binders twice to three times as thick as IBM's, with
full explainations and examples.

The video card has dip-switches to make the card emulate either IBM's color
graphics card, monochrome card, or the EGRA.  Outputs include RGB and com-
posite video (B/W) with absolutely NO snow.  True to Zenith's reputation,
the composite video output displays a TRUE gray-scale on a monchrome
monitor, even taking into account IBM's BROWN.  I have found that Flight
Simulator looks better in color mode when I use it one my monochrome
monitor than in its monochrome mode.

The floppy controller card can operate 4 drives directly, even though there
is only room to mount two in the machine (since they would require power
anyway, an external chassis would be perfect).

All slots are full length slots, a total of nine of them (one for the CPU
card, eight for the rest of the system).

The keyboard is faster, smoother, with larger key-caps than IBM's, although
it still uses the standard IBM layout (except the the large L-shaped <return>
key).  The whole keyboard is faster, and runs with a separate programmable
processor, that has a key-repeat that speeds-up the longer that you hold a
key down, and learns to adjust to your typing.  The key-click is generated
by the keyboard processor, and can be shut-off (<alternate><escape>
combination).  The NUM-LOCK and CAPS-LOCK keys both have LEDs in them to
show what status they are in.  During the summer, I used my Zenith keyboard
on my employer's XTs with no problems, but with better output.

The machine itself, when purchase under the Heath version, includes HUGE
service manuals, that make repairs and service as easy for the layman as
riding a bicycle.  It comes in two full-size 3-inch binders, with everything
that you would want to know.  The documentation for the machine and the DOS
are so clear and precise, that I got more knowledge of the IBMs at work
after reading Zenith's documentation, than I did when I had read IBM's
documentation.

From the rumors that I heard (no validation), Zenith paid some good bucks
acquire some propreitary knowledge from IBM, apparently only in the interest
of making there machine as compatible as possible.  Zenith has re-engineered
the whole system, and did a fine job of making a machine more IBM compatible
than IBM themselves.  The machine was designed to incorporate the state-of-
the-art equipment and software available.  Zenith also markets a version of
Microsoft's Xenix (called Zenix?), and CPM.  I have used Kaypros, Compacts,
and even Zenith's Z200 machine, and found that they are for more inter-
changable in many enviroments, that even IBM isn't (thats what I mean when I
say they are MORE compatible than IBM themselves).  Note too, that the
Z150 series are the ONLY non-IBM machines allowed to call themselves an
IBM XT in the ROM code (a one-byte identification).

It took Zenith 4 years (1985) to come up with there clone for the XT
(they had an 8088 machine, the H/Z 100 in 1980), but as far as I can tell,
they corrected as many of the complaints people had of the IBM, and still
be compatible, as they could.  I am a EE student here at Purdue University,
as it only took two days of looking at the documentation and the PC boards
in both the XTs at work, and the Zenith to appreciate the Heath Engineers
in St. Joe, Michigan, and all the fine work they put into their machine.
The IBMs at work have had break-down, service, and dealer support problems,
my Zenith has only had one CPU problem (I didn't solder the kit well
enough), and Zenith directly and openly supports every machine they make
directly, with separate lines for software, DOS, and hardware.  Remember,
if no one else has told you, Zenith's Z100 machine is a better piece of
architecture than the IBM XT is; even though both with use MS DOS and use
the 8088 processor -- I hae been able to do more with my roommate's S100
bus Z100 than I can with my IBM compatible.

Like I have said, I have used many IBM type machines (the school used to
buy Leading Edges), and fell that in the IBM XT class, the Zenith 158 is
the way to go.  By the way, if you are looking for an IBM AT class
machine, the new Kaypro is the way to go -- they are only ones allowed to
identify themselves as an IBM AT in ROM.  Also note, Zenith's 148 looks
and acts an awful lot like Compact's machine, and even identifies itself
as such -- any clue where the money went here?

I am sorry if this is long, but I wanted you to get a GOOD look at what
I am talking about when I say that the Zenith is the machine that you want
to go for.
						- sgh

------------------------------

Date: Wed 19 Feb 86 12:36:27-PST
From: Ted Shapin <BEC.SHAPIN@USC-ECL.ARPA>
Subject: Finding bad blocks on disks
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Phone: (714)961-3393; Mail:Beckman Instruments, Inc.

I had the following experience with the 20 meg IBM supplied
hard disks (not CMI) on two brand new AT systems.

I ran into I/O errors reading files for an application on
one system.

Running the advanced diagnostics flagged the same tracks
written on the sticker on the hard disk.  Running chkdsk did
not pick up any bad tracks.

Running Tom Jennings SCAV30 (scavenge program) found some
ADDITIONAL bad blocks and locked them out.

Then running CHKDSK a second time, converted these
bad blocks to files, FILEnnn.CHK, which I left so those blocks
wouldn't be allocated by DOS.

The second system showed the same type of thing. SCAV30 showed
bad blocks that were not picked up by either the advanced
diagnostics or CHKDSK.

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 18 Feb 86 13:15:43 EST
From:     Kenneth Van Camp -FSAC-  <kvancamp@ardc>
To:       cameron@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA
cc:       info-ibmpc@usc-isib
Subject:  ARC50.COM

ARC50.DOC is on the Simtel20 archives, as well as the executable.

		  --Ken Van Camp <kvancamp@ARDC.ARPA>

[Please be specific when mentioning files on simtel20, as to include
 the directory name.  It is not inherently obvious, nor is it
 necessarily easy to determine.  Thanks.   -elmo]

------------------------------

Date: 18 Feb 86 08:47:00 EST
From: "DYMOND, KEN" <dymond@nbs-vms.ARPA>
Subject: Micro-Prolog Distributor
To: "info-ibmpc" <info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa>

Re: Deba Patnaik's 2/13/86 query on Micro-Prolog

Try

	Programming Logic Systems, Inc.
	31 Crescent Dr.
	Milford, Conn. 06460
	(203) 877-7988
------

------------------------------

Date: 18 Feb 86 14:59 EDT
From: (Gary Chapman) <CHAPMAN@NYU-ACF7.ARPA>
To: <info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA>
Subject: PCs and Macs Connect to LaserWriter
Office:	Rm 318, Warren Weaver Hall, Courant Institute of Mathematical Sciences
Address: 251 Mercer Street, NY, NY 10012
Work-Phone: (212) 460-7160 or (212) 460-7181
Network-Address(es): Chapman@NYU, or ...!{siesmo,allegra}!cmcl2!chapman

At the NYU Microcomputer Laboratory, we have played with PC-MacBridge
installed on a standard PC AT.  PC-MacBridge (from Tangent Technologies,
5720 Peachtree Parkway, Suite 100, Norcross, Georgia 30092, 404-662-0366)
is a combination of a short board and software which puts a PC on an
AppleTalk network.  We have two Macs, one Mac XL, the PC AT, and a LaserWriter
networked together.

The chief use for PC-MacBridge is to allow one to print on the LaserWriter,
although if one is willing to buy Macintosh mail software (I forget the name
of the package), one can theoretically have mail capabilities between work-
stations on the network.  The software included with PC-MacBridge allows
one to print documents from several popular word processing programs, including
WordStar and Multimate.  One can easily set things up to print plain ASCII
files.

I have to say that we have been rather disappointed with PC-MacBridge, given
its cost of $595.  Two major problems have surfaced:

(1) PC-MacBridge seems to fail miserably most of the time when trying to print
files greater than 32K in length.  The files I have tried to print were
converted by PC-MacBridge into PostScript files, so the original size of the
text files were rather less than 32K.

(2) We have on many occasions experienced PC-MacBridge interferring with the
actions of Macintoshes on the network which are in the process of printing when
we give the command for PC-MacBridge to print.  At least once, PC-MacBridge's
actions resulting in a Macintosh being "kicked off the network".  More
typically, if a Mac is printing, say, a ten page document, and then we give the
command for the PC AT to print, the printer will not complete the Mac's
document before allowing the PC AT's document to begin printing.  This is truly
incredible, since all PC-MacBridge has to do is wait until the LaserWriter is
free.  We have heard that they are "working on it"!  Given that the release of
the software we have is V. 2.1, it is hard to justify such problems.

Until such problems are fixed, caveat emptor.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 86 22:41:00 est
From: BACS Access <access%indiana.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
To: net.micro.pc%indiana.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Subject: Multiple Serial Ports
Cc: mod.computers.ibm-pc%indiana.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA,

I am using a Zenith AT clone with Xenix and am interested in attaching
several more serial ports.  Has anyone had experience with the Quadram
5 serial port board or the AST FourPort/XN?  They both look interesting.
Other than that, does anyone know of an 8 port board or the like that
isn't too incredibly high priced?

*thanks    Robert Cole          iuvax!access (usenet)
                                access@iubacs  (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 19 Feb 86 14:51:50 pst
From: young@AMES-NAS.ARPA (Bruce Young)
To: INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: Windows for RT

We need a windowing package for the IBM RT/PC
running UNIX system V.  Our caveat is the package
must support the original IBM pc enhanced graphics
card, rather than the new RT/PC graphics card.

All rational suggestions are appreciated.
Broadcast your reply or mail directly to:

young@AMES-NAS

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 86 15:25:36 cet
To:  INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
From:  C0%DDAESA10.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Rogue River, where are U ???

Hello,
      I saw a product today that I would like very much to purchase, but
from where ???. It is the SPF/PC editor from "Rogue River Software".
This version, 01.70 did not yet have macros, but it did say they would be
available in version 2. Can anyone help with an address or even better
a telephone number, please no 800 numbers, we can't access those from
across the water. For anyone who spends there working day using
ISPF/PFD this is the editor to use.
Many thanks,
            Dick

------------------------------

Date: 18 February 86 09:41-PST
From:  DEP%SLACVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Don Pelton)
To:  INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: Literacy Software Query

This is a query from a teacher participant in the EDUCATIONAL conference
on the WELL. Please reply to me and I will pass on the information.

"I have another question to pose to anyone (I was about to say listening!)
 reading....  Are you aware of any micro software (IBM or Apple) written
 for ADULTS who are learning to read and write.  I promised my gang at
 Project Read (part of the California Literary Project part of a nationally
 funded literacy push right now) that I would ask.  Seems there is a puddle
 of software for CHILDREN newly gaining literacy but it is very inappropriate
 for our adult illiterates.  The Menlo Park library where my group is based
 has various types of Apple and IBM micros that we could start using with
 our students but, sigh, we need some software.  Any and all ideas and
 information would be appreciated."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Feb 86 03:46:47 -0100
From: Tom Ivar Helbekkmo <helbekkmo%vax.runit.unit.uninett@nta-vax.arpa>
To: <info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA>
Subject: QNX Query

Does anyone out there have any experience with the QNX operating
system for the IBM PC?  It seems to be a multi-user, multi-tasking,
networking, UNIX-inspired system - but having only looked at a
demo diskette I happened upon, I know very little about it except
that the demo looks nice!  :-)

QNX is made by:

      Quantum Software Systems Ltd.
      P.O. box 5318, Station "F"
      Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
      K2C 3H5

Any information and comments regarding both the QNX operating system
and Quantum Software Systems in general will be appreciated!

Tom Ivar Helbekkmo, <helbekkmo%vax.runit.unit.uninett@nta-vax.arpa>.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------