[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V5 #56

Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA.UUCP (05/27/86)

Info-IBMPC Digest      Monday, May 2, 1986      Volume 5 : Issue 56

This Week's Editor:  Phyllis O'Neil

Today's Topics:
                    Re: BBS software (multiple messages)
            Princeton MAX-12 monitor and Zenith 151 PC...
                             REFORMAT.ARC
                        Product Review: PCVMS
                        Killing EGA cursor...
                        Video Cards -- Everex
                        New Programs Available
                    Re: Selecting Video Cards ...
                      MS C Code generation bugs
                         FORMAT-DMA revisited
                          REFORMAT and FATs
Today's Queries:

            Learning About Processor and Assembly Language
                    Public Domain Software Request
                      WordPerfect Indexing Query
                   Display Controller for AT Query
                         Looking For a Board
                        Query: Xerox Notecards
                            GKS and CI C86
                       Pilot/Super Pilot Query
                 Olivetti -> IBM Document Conversion
             Looking for Public Domain Parser Generators
                 Professional FORTRAN Question (i/o)
                Reading the PC screen w/ TURBO Pascal
        Configuring a High-Powered Graphics System on a PC AT
                  Microsoft C and Environment Space
                     Question about HD controller
                     8253 Timer in PC, XT, & AT.
                      Cheap System V (Unix) port
      Wanted: PD sources for PC PILOT Program to convert to Ada
                          Dumb Terminal Loop
                         Tandy Daisy Wheel II
                        Pop Up Editor question

Date: Thu 22 May 86 14:47:49-PDT
From: Tony Brand <BRAND@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Re: BBS software
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

I run "RBBS-PC" on my bulletin board system on (609)-771-2829.
"RBBS-PC" was written in compiled basic by Tom Mack, who distributes
the program, essentially free, through the Capital PC user's group.

 	The address is Capital PC User group
                    Membership
		    P. O. Box 3189
    		    Gaithersburg, MD 20878

If you don't want to join the user's group (PD disks are cheaper for
members), RBBS-PC can be obtained by sending a check for $8 to the

        Capital PC Software Exchange
        P.O. Box 6128
        Silver Spring MD 20906.

RBBS-PC is distributed on two double-sided, 9-sector, diskettes. Allow
3 to 4 weeks for delivery -- remember this is an all-volunteer effort.
Be sure to specify RBBS-PC CPC14-1A on "diskette # 18". Include a
label with your name and address.

The exigencies of RBBS-PC software releases may mean that diskette 18
contains an earlier version of RBBS-PC than CPC14-1A (either you
bought diskette 18 sometime ago or there has been not enough time for
diskette 18 to be updated to this most current version). At least two
bulletin boards keep the most current copies of RBBS-PC CPC14-1A for
downloading. They are:

	(703) 759-5049 --+
        	         +---- East Coast (Great Falls, Virginia),
	(703) 759-9659 --+

	(415) 689-2090 ------- West Coast (Concord, California).

I looked at Fido and decided against it because I didn't want to get
involved in forwarding too many people's mail and problems of paying
telephone bills.

I looked at Colussus but when I implemented my BBS it had already
dropped out of sight.

RBBS-PC seems to be very well supported. its comes with the source
code (all be it in basic!). It has all the features that I wanted,
including the ability to have conferences and run programs remotely.
There's also a fair amount of support software out there.  Current
RBBS version is 14.1A. It can be downloaded from my system.

I have no commercial interest in any BBS program.

Tony Brand
Trenton State College
Voice : (609)-771-3013
Data  : (609)-771-2829
------------------------------

To:  INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
From:  "Roger Fajman"  <RAF%NIHCU.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Date:   Fri, 23 May 86  17:19:15 EDT
Subject:  Bulletin Board software

RBBS-PC is an excellent bulletin board system for the IBM PC.  I
think it has at least as strong a claim to be a "standard" as does
Fido, if not stronger.  RBBS-PC is, I think, much more user friendly
than the Fidos that I have used.  It does not, however, have the
network mail feature for exchanging mail among many PCs.  It does
have conferences, multiple file directories, and multi-user support.
Many utility programs have been written for it.  The primary author
is Tom Mack, but many people have contributed modifications.  The
latest version is 14.1A, but 14.1B will be out very soon.  The major
new feature in 14.1B is Kermit support.  To address the reliability
question, I have been running 14.1A, with Tom Mack's April 13 fix
file applied, for 2-3 weeks now on a 5-user system and it has never
crashed (so far -- it's bad luck to say things like this).  RBBS-PC
may be copied freely as long as it is not sold.  The source code (in
Microsoft QuickBasic) is included with the package.  The latest
version may be obtained for an $8 copying/mailing fee from

      Capital PC Software Library
      P.O. Box 6128
      Silver Spring, MD 20906

There is also a very good commercial BBS package for the IBM PC called
TCOMM.  It is written in C and has a lot of nice features.  It can be
tried by calling 301-428-7931 at 2400, 1200, or 300 bps.  A
demonstration package is available for downloading there.

Another good commercial package is PC-HOST.  It is designed for
businesses.  It can be tried at 301-949-8848 if you are persistent
enough to get past the busy signals.
------------------------------

Date: 22 May 1986 16:19:24 PDT
From: Richard Gillmann <GILLMANN@USC-ISIB.ARPA>
To: Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA

Here's a brief list of BBS software currently available.  The list was
extracted from an article in "Bulletin Board Systems" magazine.

BBS-PC
16 messages sections, 4 user levels, XMODEM
Micro Systems Software
4301-18 Oak Circle
Boca Raton, FL 33431
Voice: (305) 391-5077
Modem: (305) 737-1590
Price: $249

Conexus
Messages, conferences, bulletin boards
New Era Technologies
1252 Columbia Road NW
Washington, DC 20009
Voice: (202) 234-2117
Modem: (202) 887-5443
Price: $624

Dial-Your-Match
Matching system, private mail, public mail
Matchmaker Enterprises
P.O. Box 6055
Burbank, CA 91510
Voice: (213) 840-8211
Modem: (818) 997-7575
Price: $75

Fido
Mail networking among systems
Fido Software
2269 Market St. #118
San Francisco, CA 94114
Modem: (415) 864-1418
Price: $100

PC-DATE
Matching system
ProtoSoft
P.O. Box 16756
Seattle, WA 98116
Voice: (206) 932-5310
Modem: (206) 932-7125
Price: $69

RBBS-PC
Upload and download
Capital PC User's Group
P.O. Box 6128
Silver Spring, MD 20906
Voice: (301) 656-8372
Modem: (703) 759-5049
Price: $8

I'm just putting the finishing touches on a multi-line BBS.  If you're
interested, give it a call at (213) 822-9390.

Dick
------------------------------

Date: Tue 20 May 86 06:07:07-PDT
From: Ivan Auger <LAWRENCE.Auger%BIONET@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Princeton MAX-12 monitor and Zenith 151 PC...
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

The output voltages in the Zenith are different from IBM's color card
(and other equivalents), thus the MAX-12 monitor is unable to detect
whether it is connected to an IBM monochrome card or a color one.
Princeton is willing to tell you how to change the Zenith video but
this requires hardware modification and will thus void the Zenith
guarantee.
------------------------------

Date: 21 May 1986 0924-EDT
From: "Bernie AT&T:617-467-5664 DTN:297-5664 LDP Workstations" <EIBEN@MARLBORO.DEC.COM>
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isi
cc: watson@akov04, abn.iscams@usc-isi, garrison@gold
Subject: REFORMAT.ARC

Rick Watson was nice enough, to 'test' REFORMAT on his 20MEG hard-disk -
and 'slightly' enhanced same.

1. Looks like the 'standard' formatter uses 16bit FATS -- REFORMAT didn't
   handle that -- fixed
2. If re-ordering takes place on the 'logged in' disk , obviously DOS
   doesn't know about it - and shows a 'pretty damaged' disk. Cure is
   to 'force' logging that disk again - or as REFORMAT does now, force
   a REBOOT. {Will probably save somebody from heightened heartbeat !!}

Rick tested floppy,RAM-disk and mini-winnie. Thanks Rick

REFORMAT.ARC is available via ANONYMOUS FTP from IBM:REFORMAT.ARC

Rgds,
Bernie.
------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 86 09:35:26 PDT
From: WOLFGANG%SEA@ames-io.ARPA
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: Product Review: PCVMS

 We have just received a copy of Wendin Inc's $99.95 PCVMS. Yes,
PC VMS, as in VMS on a PC. While we were initially quite sceptical,
and indeed did not REALLY expect the software to even show up, I
must say that I am quite impressed.

 PCVMS is an operating system which can be used in place of MS-DOS.
It is multi-user, allowing two additional users through outside ports,
[supposing one would want to do that] and multi-tasking. Not only are
the common VMS commands available, but many of the significant VMS
system services are available as well including event flag support,
ASTs, QIO, Logical name translation,  and timers. The documentation
is very good, given that one is already comfortable with VMS, it is
NOT just retyped VMS documentation.

 As an aside, as good joints are to good woodworking...due to the
process scheduling, the print spooler, called the print symbiont in
VMS, is the smoothest I've ever seen, far superior to the standard
print command. The printer just continues to chug along almost without
interruption and the console process seems to barely be affected.

 The above is after using PC VMS for less than a week and without
multiple users, but for $99.95 including source, you can't go wrong.
The companies address is;

        Wendin Inc.
        Box 266
        Cheney, WA. 99004

 There is also a PC UNIX which appears to be very similar, we haven't
put it up on our PC, so I'll say nothing.

 PC GCOS, PC CMS, PC MULTICS, PC Cray Operating System...No, at least
not yet.

- Steven Engle
  NASA/Ames Research Center

DISCLAIMER: This constitutes no product endorsement on the part of
 NASA or any other government agency. Opinions stated herein are
 not necessarily those of my employer. Do not send cash in the
 mail, use a check or postal money order. VMS is a trademark of
 Digital Equipment Corp. See your dentist twice a year.
------------------------------

Date: 21 May 86 14:31 EDT
From: Mark Williams <mlw@ncsc>
Subject: Killing EGA cursor...
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib

To kill the EGA cursor, use a routine like this one...
    mov cx,2000h           ;turn on bit 5 of ch register -- cancels cursor
    mov ah,1               ;request ROM-BIOS function 1
    int 10h                ;ROM-BIOS video services interrupt
    int 20h                ;DOS end-of-program
This will generate a .com program about 12 bytes long, which will leave your
cursor off until something else turns it back on.  If you replace the 2000h
with 0607h, you should get the regular 2-line underline cursor back.  Note
that this routine should work with any BIOS-compatible video board...EGA,
color, or not.

[Watch out when you turn the cursor back on, though -- 0607h gives a
 hyphen on the monochrome display, rather than an underscore.  -rag]
------------------------------

Date: Wed 21 May 86 08:26:03-PDT
From: David John Buerger  <D.Buerger%SCU%PANDA@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Video Cards -- Everex
To: fulton%comet.DEC@DECWRL.DEC.COM
cc: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

I've been quite pleased with the Everex EDGE and the Everex GRAPHICS
EDGE cards.  We have installed quite a few on campus, with very few
failures.  I would probably recommend against buying the Hercules or
Hercules compatible cards, mainly due to their limited use.  The only
software that will run on these cards is that having Hercules drivers.
On the other hand, Everex cards (and the like) not only provide
"Hercules" compatibility, but also may act as a straight color
monitor.  This will allow you to run anything with IBM color monitor
drivers.  The range of useable software is therefore much wider with
this type of card.

While most of these "Everex-type" cards are probably reliable, I've
found Everex to contain more related features.  Everex's phone number
is (415) 498- 1111; they're located in Fremont, California.

I have no relationship with Everex--just a satisfied user.

David J. Buerger
Director, PC Center, Santa Clara University

------------------------------

Date: Thu 22 May 86 10:44:55-CDT
From: Pete Galvin <CC.GALVIN@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: New Programs Available
To: info-Ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

Well, it's that time of year again...finals are over and I've been
hitting the local bboards again.  The result is a few new, good,
programs:

Cache2.Arc	Real small disk cacheing program with more smarts (described
		in the doc file).  Give it a try.

Ccompile.Arc	Small-C compiler.  I wasn't sure if this was available
                elsewhere on the net, so here it is.

NewKey24.Arc	NewKey v2.4 keyboard enhancer.  I think this is the newest
		version.  I haven't tried it yet, but soon...

Mark&rel.Arc	!!!  Now this one is useful:  run MARK in between loading
		resident programs (SideKick, Lightning, CED, et).  When you
		want to remove them from memory, just run RELEASE and give
		it the name of the label you gave to MARK.  RELEASE removes
		all resident programs AFTER the specified MARK (so no holes
		are left in memory).  Here's an example batch file:
		AUTOEXEC.BAT:    MARK SideKick
				 SK                    (run sidekick)
				 . . .

		LOTUS.BAT:	RELEASE SideKick       (frees that memory)
				LOTUS		       (run Lotus)
				MARK SideKick	       (when done, set a mark)
				SK		       (Load up sidekick again)

		I'm not sure these batch files actually work, but you get the
		idea.

These are all available from [UTEXAS-20]<CC.GALVIN.PUBLIC> via
anonymous login.  See the file FILES.DIR for information on the other
files available.

Enjoy.

						--Pete
------------------------------

Date: 22 May 86 23:08 GMT
From: ghicks @ KOREA-EMH
Subject: Re: Selecting Video Cards ...
To: fulton%comet.DEC @ decwrl.DEC.COM
CC: info-ibmpc @ isib

I do not have experience with the Zenith ZVM-1240 monochrome monitor.
However, I have had experience Zenith ZM-135 RGB monitor.

This monitor has a DB-25 on the rear of the machine.  It can take
inputs from Commodore, Apple, IBM, Zenith (obviously) and several
other machines.  The pins from the DB-25 are selected based on the
type of machine that is doing the signal driving.  The monitor is
currently being used with an IBM compatible machine.  I would imagine
that you have the same type of options on the ZVM-1240.  However, ...

I am using an Everex Edge graphics adaptor.  This can interface with
either an IBM compatible monochrome or RGB monitor.  The book says it
can do the following:

* Hi-res mono text/graphics,

* is Hercules board compatible (quite true),

* can select color mode for the adapter and mono mode for the monitor
and thus run those programs designed for the CGA (also true),

* uses mono character set when running in color mode with a mono
adapter,

* can display 132 cols in color/mono mode (mono mode good, color mode
readable),

* does four colors in CGA Hi-res mode (if the software will support
this but appears to be true),

* does Lotus/Symphony software without modification (also true)

In short, I am pleased with it.

No, I have no connection with... (standard disclaimer)
I am a LCDR on active duty in the Navy stationed in Korea "at
Freedom's Edge".

Gregory Hicks       from the "Land of the Morning Calm"
GHICKS@Korea-EMH
JUSMAG-DT@Korea-EMH

PS:  The Edge does display 16 shades of grey when used with
    a monochrome monitor.
------------------------------

Date:           Fri, 23 May 86 23:26:03 PDT
From:           Matthew J Weinstein <matt@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU>
To:             davidsen%kbsvax.tcpip@ge-crd.arpa
CC:             info-ibmpc@isib
Subject:        MS C Code generation bugs

According to MS technical support, the -W2 and -W3 levels generate bad
code in many cases.  They recommended that these setting be used ONLY
for linting, and that the default (-W1) be used for code generation
and debugging.

V 4.0 is supposed to be in beta test... Should be out any month now...

				- Matt
------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 May 86 14:11:50 CDT
From:  CCRJW%UMCVMB.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Richard Winkel     UMC
  Computing Services)
To:  INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: FORMAT-DMA revisited

Larry McGavran (hgm%doc@lanl.arpa) pointed out to me that the patch I
outlined for FORMAT.COM in DOS 2.1 is zeroed out by a routine in
FORMAT at about the time it prompts 'Format another (Y/N)?'.  The
result is that if you try to format another, the system hangs.  Until
we or someone else figures out the purpose to which this memory is
put, and a safe way to relocate this buffer or whatever it is, the
safest way to get around the problem is to re-run FORMAT for each disk
you wish to format.  In other words, always answer 'N' to the prompt.
I hope no one got bit by this problem.

Rich Winkel
------------------------------

DATE: 26 May 86 10:16:27 UT
To:  <INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>
From:    <U015415%HNYKUN22
Subject:  REFORMAT and FATs

I received some complaints about the REFORMAT program. They were all
related to extended (16 bit FATS). I would like to emphasise: THE
PROGRAM IN ITS PRESENT FORM NOT IS CAPABLE OF HANDLING EXTENDED
(16BITS) FATS. I saw one version of the program that stated it was
adapted for 16 bits FATS. The changes in the program however were
totally insufficient to handle the extended FATS, resulting in
crippled disks. I am currently updating the program to handle the 16
bit FATS. A program like this needs extensive testing, because a small
bug for a program is a giant frustration for mankind. So it will take
at least another week before the new version is released.

Doeg,
Jos Wennmacker             <U015415%HNYKUN22.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Universitair Rekencentrum
Geert Grooteplein Zuid 41
NL-6525 GA Nijmegen
The Netherlands
------------------------------

Date: 20 MAY 86 19:39-CDT
From:  CDBOATWR%TAMVENUS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
To:  INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: Learning about my processor and Assembly language

...I own an IBM PC/XT...

Could you recommend a good text for learning about my computer's
processor?  Also, could you recommend a good text for teaching myself
Assembly language programming?
                                   Thanks,

                                   Charles Boatwright
                                   CDBOATWR@TAMVENUS.BITNET
------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 21 May 86 11:22 IST
From:  Chezy Gal  <A45%TAUNIVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject:  Public Domain Software Request
To: Info-IBMPC Digest <INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

At Tel Aviv University we are in the process of building a library of
public domain software for the academic community. Since we are not on
Arpanet we are not able to FTP files from the Info-IBMPC Library or
any other public domain source on ARPA.

We would be grateful to anyone who could send us any p.d. programs
(hopefully, with some explanation).

Thank you,

Chezy Gal, PC Advisor
Computation Center
Tel Aviv University

BITNET: A45@TAUNIVM.BITNET
Acknowledge-To: Chezy Gal <A45@TAUNIVM>
------------------------------

Date: Wed 21 May 86 08:57:22-PDT
From: Jackie <Burhans%ECLD@USC-ECLC.ARPA>
Subject: WordPerfect Indexing Query
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

Has anyone in Netland come up with a way to have WordPerfect
create a table of contents and/or index for an entire book?  Let's
say each chapter is in a separate file, and one wants to index
all the chapters together, but one doesn't have enough memory to load
all the files at once.  Can it be done?

Thanks in advance.
------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 86 11:55:24 pdt
From: Kevin O'Connor <kfoc%noah.arc.cdn%ubc.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: Display Controller for AT Query

I would appreciate if anyone could supply me with the name(s) of
colour display controller board(set)s for the IBM AT that have most or
all of the following attributes.  I have indicated the level of
desireability of each attribute.

  - 640 x 480 resolution minimum (required)
  - 8 bits per pixel (min. required).  Text plane extra if possible
  - 60 Hz non-interlaced display (very desireable). Stable display important
  - memory mapped ( very desireable)
  - command buffering (essential). 256 bytes seems usual
  - colour selection by LUT (essential). Multiple tables useful.
  - pixel masking:
      . write mask (essential)
      . display mask (very desireable)
      . read mask (ho-hum)
  - mouse interface on graphics board (very desireable)
  - blistering vector display (essential)
  - ability to display scans as vertical AND horizontal rasters (very useful)
  - command list (OK if it's there).

Things I don't want (ie I don't want to pay extra for if avoidable):

  - scaling
  - 3-D operations
  - viewing transformations
------------------------------

Date: Wed 21 May 86 15:09:37-PDT
From: Liquid Len <Asbed%ECLD@USC-ECLC.ARPA>
Subject: looking for a board
To: info-pc@USC-ISI.ARPA

 A friend of mine is looking for something like the following for his
IBM PC/XT/AT, they're non-volatile storage devices:

 - Battery backup RAM card
 - EEPROM card
 - DRAM chip with on chip battery & power down logic.
 - IBM PC disk emulation for booting.

 I am not totally sure what he needs or for what, so if you have more
specific questions/info, write to me.

:asbed
------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 86 16:57:39 pdt
From: erickson@lbl-csam.ARPA (Marvin Erickson [ams-pnl])
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: Query: Xerox Notecards

Hope I'm not rehashing an old request...

Does anyone know of an IBM-PC-compatible version of the Xerox
notecards program?  (A Macintosh version would do also...)

Thanks,
Mark A. Whiting

c/o erickson@lbl-csam
------------------------------

Date: Wednesday, 21 May 1986 23:29:32 EDT
From: Arthur.Butler@henry.ece.cmu.edu
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: GKS and CI C86

	Has anyone had any success linking IBMK GKS with Computer
Inovations C86 C compiler?  Please let me know of any suggestions.
				Thanks
					Arthur
					ajb@henry.ece.cmu.edu
------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 May 1986  11:37:49 EDT
From:  FAC0395%UOFT01.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Joe Feustle)
Subject: Pilot/Super Pilot Query
To:  info-ibmpc-request@usc-isib.arpa

Could someone on the net please tell me if there is an IBM version
of Super Pilot (Apple program), and, if so, who publishes it?
I need to get ahold of an "authorship" program that allows we non-
programmer types to write drills and exercises on PC-compatible
machines.  Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

J. Feustle, FAC0395@UOFT01.BITNET
------------------------------

Date: 22 May 86 14:19 EDT
From: Mark Williams <mlw@ncsc>
Subject: Olivetti -> IBM Document Conversion
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib

Has anyone converted Olivetti ETV 300 word processor documents to the
IBM PC?  The Olivetti uses CP/M and a wp package I assume is
proprietary and bundled with the ETV 300 system unit.  I have tried
various CONVERT set-ups and haven't hit on the correct sector order.
I do have a wp -> ASCII utility for the Olivetti, so the main problem
is reading the CP/M format diskette in the right order.  Please send
kind of information in the user community in general.

Thanks in advance...

Mark L. Williams
------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 May 86 22:19:23 edt
From: treid@mitre.ARPA (Thomas Reid)
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib
Subject: Looking for Public Domain Parser Generators

I would appreciate any leads to public domain parser generators -
either top-down or bottom-up.  Thanks in advance.  Tom.
------------------------------

Date:     23 May 86 13:28:17 +0200
From:  XBR4D715%DDATHD21.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (D715@BR4.THDNET)
Subject:  Professional FORTRAN Question (i/o)
To:  INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA

Is there anyone out there in PC - world who can answer the following
question:

Is it possible to read from or to write to files out of a running
Professional FORTRAN program (V 1.01, Ryan McFarland) in directorys
other than the current dir?  INQUIRE and OPEN are obviously possible,
but reading from c:/a/b/c/d/test.dat is NOT!

Has anyone an idea ?!

Please contact

      Klaus D. Schmitt
      Institut f. El. Energieversorgung
      Technische Hochschule
      Schlossgraben 1
      D - 6100 Darmstadt FRG

      or via xbr4d715%ddathd21.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
------------------------------

To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA
Subject: Reading the PC screen w/ TURBO Pascal
Date: Fri, 23 May 86 12:04:46 -0500
From: Mark H. Granoff <mhg@mitre-bedford.ARPA>

I have a bit of a problem...I am writing a window manager and
naturally it is important to be able to read areas on the screen for
later restoration.  I have figured out how to read the characters that
are on the screen but I can't seem to get the attributes.  A good
window manager should restore attributes when it closes a window!
Here's the gist of my thinking:

In TURBO Pascal, I am using the Mem[] array to address the screen (I
have an AT&T PC 6300, so the address of the screen (Col 1,Row 1) is
$B800).  I determined that an offset of 160 bytes is the memory
address of Col 1, Row 2.  The Mem[] array is of type Byte, so if a
character in memory consists of 2 bytes (1 for the character code and
1 for the attributes), then the byte at address $B800+$01 should be
the attribute of the character in Col 1, Row 1.  Right?  (Or perhaps
the bytes are reversed i.e. addr $B800 is the attribute and $B800+$01
is the character).  Anyhow, I can't extract the attributes.  I would
prefer not to use interrupts (although I know it's relativley easy
that way); reading from and assigning to the Mem[] array seems to be
quite speedy.

If anyone has any experience with reading/writing characters AND
attributes to the screen, I would appreciate hearing from you.  Thanks
in advance.  I will summarize any answers I get and post a summary on
the net.

Mark H. Granoff (mhg@mitre-bedford)
------------------------------

Date: Fri 23 May 1986 17:12:29 EDT
From: <OBRIEN@LL.ARPA>
Subject: Configuring a High-Powered Graphics System on a PC AT
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib

I'd appreciate any help anyone could give me on configuring hardware &
software for the following system:

Several friends of mine are working on a grant which involves, among
other things, putting 3D animation onto videotape on a low budget
(i.e., well below VAX scale).  The graphics board picked for this is
one of the new AT&T TARGA boards, with 512x512x32 resolution.  It's
made to run on a PC/AT.  This particular board was picked for its
price/performance ratio, and the rest of the system has to be
configured around it (so no 68000 machines, unfortunately).

The rest of the video part of the hardware is pretty well worked out:
they're getting Sony BVU-800 or 5800/50 decks (the 800 is supposed to
be higher quality & more durable, but is more expensive -- anyone have
any experience with either?), an EECO editor, and either a Lyon-Lamb
animation controller or another one (whose name I forget) that fits on
a board inside the PC.

Now they need to pick the machine that runs the TARGA board.  It must:

      1) Be PC/AT compatible (enough to run the board correctly)
      2) Run at at _least_ 8MHz
      3) Have a floating point coprocessor (80287)
      4) Have many megabytes of RAM (at least 2, 4 preferred, 8 great)
      5) Have a hard disk of at least 80 MB
      6) Communicate with a Mac+ (used as a front end)

As you can see, the more souped-up the PC, the better, as long as it
still runs the graphics board OK.

The software requirements are as follows:

Since MS-DOS has problems with addressing large amounts of memory in
any kind of sane fashion, they plan to use UNIX(tm) or some other *IX.
What experience have people had with various UNIX-like systems running
on an AT (clone)?  Will they (the systems, not the people ;-)
recognize the hard disk/RAM/coprocessor additions above?

Along with the OS, they need various tools like editors, compilers,
etc.  What compilers (Pascal/C/Modula2 family) are available for the
*IX world?  How compatible are _they_ with the hardware requirements
above (esp. coprocessor & huge address space)?

If they choose C, they'll need lint or somesuch (large project).  Any
other software recommendations?

Please send responses (or questions) directly to me & I'll summarize
them for everyone else if appropriate.

Thanks for your time, whoever you are.

                                       -- Tom O'Brien
                                   arpa:  obrien@LL
------------------------------

To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: Microsoft C and Environment Space
Date: 23 May 86 19:11:47 PDT (Fri)
From: Randy <randy@uw-bluechip.arpa>

Has anyone noticed that Microsoft C fails to recognize expanded
environment space? I have a compile command line that generates
the error
"argument list for p0.exe too big".
The manual says "The combined length of all arguments on the
command line (include the program name) may not exceed 128 bytes."

Well my command line is well under 80 bytes. I called Microsoft
to find out what the deal was. They said that my environment
space was too big; if I undefined some environment variables
things would work. (My guess is that the command line is
passed a temporary environment variable between the passes of the
compiler.) So I undefined some things, and it worked.

Now for the kicker: I've defined an expanded environment space
with the undocumented /e switch to the "command" command. In other
words, I have a line like the following in config.sys:
shell=c:\command.com /e:x
where x is the environment size in paragraphs. This feature has
been discussed in info-ibmpc before. BUT, MS C seems to ignore
an expanded environment size, no matter how big x is. It seems
to always check against a 128 byte environment.

Have I made myself clear? Has anyone else run up against this
problem, or is there something obvious I can do to fix things?
I'm sort of desparate for a fix.

Randy Day.
UUCP: {decvax|ihnp4}!uw-beaver!uw-june!randy
ARPA: randy@washington
CSNET: randy%washington@csnet-relay
------------------------------

Date: 24 MAY 86 04:04-EDT
From:  SLC%PSUECL.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
To:  INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: Question about HD controller

I got a hard disk controller for my AT clone several days ago. I don't
know what its specification is. I hope somebody out there can tell me
about it. The controller was WD1015-03 of Western Digital Corp.

I found most controllers made by WDC were WD1002-WA2. Did I get a
wrong controller ?

                                                      Shao-Luen Chou

BITNET : SLC@PSUECL
------------------------------

Date: Fri 23 May 86 16:35:36-PDT
From: D.LEWIS%SCU%PANDA@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA
Subject: 8253 Timer in PC, XT, & AT.
To: INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA

I have a program that uses the 8253 Timer chip to control the period
of tones generated as part of music on a PC.  The software is written
to access the same timer that is used to drive the speaker, but uses
it to measure elapsed time rather than to actually generate the signal
driving the speaker.  The speaker signal is generated by toggling the
AND gate that lies between the 8253 and the speaker.  I use this
unusual approach so that I can control the "loudness" of the note by
adjusting the duty cycle of the square wave, while relying on the
timer to maintain a fixed period.

My problem is that I've discovered that the XT and AT apparently use a
different frequency clock signal to drive this timer, and as a
consequence, the notes come out several octaves higher than on a
standard PC or PC Jr.  What was especially surprising is that I've
found a very old PC (probably a 64K motherboard version) that also has
a higher frequency clock driving the timer.

Has anyone else run into this?  I would have expected the timers in the
various PC, PC Jr, XT, and AT models to be more compatible!  At present,
I think the only thing I can do is try to measure the clock speed by
letting the timer count between 10 msec DOS ticks, and compensating for
the variations in the software.  Any other ideas would be appreciated!

Dan Lewis
Assoc Prof
EECS Dept
Santa Clara Univ
Santa Clara, CA 95053

(Or via the return e-mail path attached to this message.)
------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 May 86 12:01:40 edt
From: ANDERER <anderer%vax1.acs.udel.edu@Louie.UDEL.EDU>
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA
Subject: Cheap System V (Unix) port

I understand that Microport Systems, Inc. is offering a System V(2) port
of Unix for ATs for a real cheap price.  The numbers I've heard are $140
for the basic system, $100 for the development tools, and $140 for nroff,
troff, etc.

Does anyone know anything about this port, or have any experience with
it?  If it's reasonable, and the prices for real, it's a good deal.
------------------------------

Date: Sat, 24 May 86 14:42:29 edt
From: grebyn!karl@seismo.CSS.GOV (Karl A. Nyberg)
To: info-ibmpc@isib.arpa, info-ada@isif.arpa, ada-sw@simtel20.arpa
Subject: Wanted: PD sources for PC PILOT Program to convert to Ada

A customer wants me to get ahold of a copy of the PILOT program (a
training / authoring system), and convert it into Ada.  The resulting
program is to be submitted to the SIMTEL repository when completed.  I
was recommended to contact Washington Computer (206-734-8248), which I
did, and left a message on their answering machine to get more
information, but none has been forthcoming yet.  If anyone has any
other suggestions for places to look and / or sources, please drop me
a line.  Thanks.

-- Karl --

	Karl A. Nyberg
	Grebyn Corporation
	P. O. Box 1144
	Vienna, VA 22180
	(703)-281-2194

DDN: 	nyberg@isif.arpa
UUCP:	...!{decuac, seismo, vrdxhq}!grebyn!karl
------------------------------

Date: Sun, 25 May 86 16:09:06 PDT
Ppath: vista!crash!noscvax!info-ibmpc@usc-isib
From: crash!pnet01!dang@nosc.ARPA (Dan Gookin)
To: vista!crash!noscvax!info-ibmpc@usc-isib
Subject: Dumb Terminal Loop

I'm wondering if anyone can send me information on programming a dumb
terminal loop on the PC in Assembly Language.  I don't want anything
fancy, just scan keyboard-send character/ scan rs-232-display
character.  If anyone could send along code or direct me to a
knowledgeable source, I'd appreciate it.  Thanks!

Dan

ARPA: crash!dgookin@ucsd
UUCP: noscvax!crash!vista!pnet!pnet01!dang
------------------------------

Date: 26 May 86 18:43:00 EDT
From: "G. B. Reilly" <reilly@wharton-10.ARPA>
Subject: Tandy Daisy Wheel II
To: "info-ibmpc" <info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA>

Does anyone know about a different ROM for this printer that makes it
compatible with the IBM PC?
------------------------------

Date:     Sun, 25 May 86 13:11:42 PDT
From:     dgb%DEImos.Caltech.Edu@Hamlet.Caltech.Edu (Daniel S. Briggs)
Subject:  Pop Up Editor question
To:  INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA

Does anyone know of a dirt simple RAM resident editor out there that
is PD or relatively cheap.  My needs are quite modest, and I don't
need a thousand other bells and whistles to go along with it.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest

-------