[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V5 #60

Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA (Info-IBMPC Digest) (06/12/86)

Info-IBMPC Digest     Wednesday, June 11, 1986     Volume 5 : Issue 60

This Week's Editor: Richard Gillmann

Today's Topics:

                   640K on XT Motherboard (2 msgs)
                         DOS 3.1/3.2 (3 msgs)
                      Keyboard Extension Cables
                      How to Make a Null Printer
                        8 Serial Ports for AT
                           Update of GRAPH
                     Inline Code for Turbo Pascal
                               INT 20H
                     Computer/computer disk read
                            Fate of Davong
                 Software Source Code Control Systems
                      PC/IX - Hercules Mischief
                         STB Graphics Boards
                       The Big SQueeze (3 msgs)

Today's Queries:

                5.25" Drives for Toshiba T-1100 Wanted
                      Hardcard from Plus (Query)
                      Epsilon and Windows Query
                  DisplayWrite3 under DOS 3.1 Query
                  Low-level Hard Disk Programs Query
                        IBM PC Networks Query
           Serial interface specs needed for NEC Spinwriter
                       Dataflow Diagrams Query
                       Apple Imagewriter Query
                            AutoDex Query
                Info wanted on Undocumented DOS Calls
                        Jlaser Software Query

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 86 11:48:54 edt
Subject: IBM-XT Motherboard Upgrade to 640K
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

I got two responses on the 640K motherboard update:

From: Tony Brand <BRAND@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>

I installed the 640K motherboard upgrade in my PC portable (i.e.luggable),
which has the same motherboard as an XT. It works very well. The XT
motherboard DIP switches should be set for maximum memory (256k for an
unmodified board) if 640K is installed. I highly recommend this mod
it's easy to install even if it does void the warranty.

Tony Brand
Trenton State College, NJ

From: Steve Ligett <stevel%dartmouth.edu@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>

When upgading an XT motherboard to 640k, the switches should
be set to indicate "256k installed".  The switches really
indicate how many banks of memory are installed.  (You can also
do a 64k downgrade - four banks of 16k chips - and leave the
switches set for "256k".)
Steve

------------------------------

To:  INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
From:       "Roger Fajman"  <RAF%NIHCU.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Date:     Tue, 10 Jun 86  21:13:22 EDT
Subject:  640K on XT Motherboard

The following describes an easier way to upgrade an XT
motherboard to 640K.  I've done it and it works fine.
Just be sure to get all the chips in their sockets
properly.  On an IBM Portable PC, getting at the chips
requires removal of the disk drives and motherboard, a
fairly lengthy process.

Roger Fajman

BITS and PCs
by Jerry Schneider

Copyright (c) 1986, Capital PC User Group Inc.
This material may be republished only for internal use
by other not-for-profit user groups.

Published in the March 1986 issue of the Capital PC Monitor.

640K Memory on Your XT/Portable System Board

The "User to User" column in the September 1985 Monitor included
an article that described how to upgrade an IBM PC-XT or Portable
to contain 640K memory on the system board.  While that
procedure is very effective, it requires that the user solder a
jumper wire between two points on trom the Buying Group for around
$22 (for each bank of nine chips).

------------------------------

To: kegel@juliet.caltech.edu
Cc: info-ibmpc@usc-isib
Subject: Re: DOS 3.1 Editing Keys
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 86 14:36:14 -0500
From: Mark Colan <mtc@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>

WAB's comment is wrong.  My (unhacked) DOS 3.10 system DOES allow
the use of ^U and ^W.  I can't imagine it not working on all AT's;
it has worked on ALL AT's I've used (and that's many).

BTW, these seem to have been removed from DOS 3.20!

Mark Colan
MIT Project Athena

------------------------------

Date: Wed 11 Jun 86 07:46:31-EDT
From: Bruce Hillyer <BRUCE@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Patch DOS 3.1 for Ctl-U, Ctl-W
ReSent-From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

I had sent this patch directly to you some time in the past, but it never
made it into INFO-IBMPC.  Old versions of pc-dos 3.1 had the control-u and
control-w code patched out with nop's; newer versions don't.

Here's the patch again; I'm also sending a copy directly to the guy who asked.

Here is a patch to make dos 3.1 recognize control-u as line delete, and
control-w as word delete (like Tops-20).  This patch is for the hidden
file ibmdos.com  length 27760, date 7-Mar-85  13:43.

Using a copy of your dos diskette, do the following.

1.  Unprotect the hidden file ibmdos.com .  For example, with the
    Norton utility FH, set not-system, not-hidden, not-read-only.
    The CHMOD program in the info-ibmpc library may also work.

2.  Use debug as follows:

A>debug ibmdos.com

-u 1db9
...this should show code like:
        cmp al,17
	nop
	nop
	cmp al,15
	nop
	nop

...and the following patch will change it to
	cmp al,17
	jz 1e1b
	cmp al,15
	jz 1e12

-e 1dbb 74 5e
-e 1dbf 74 51
-w
-q

3.  Reprotect ibmdos.com, and boot the system from this dos.  After you
    are convinced it works, you may wish to use the  sys  command to move
    the patched system to the hard disk.

[Sorry about not including this in INFO-IBMPC the first time, but my
 DOS 3.1 already had this patch directly from Microsoft. It later appears
 that some DOS 3.1s have this patch and some don't. -wab]

------------------------------

To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: New IBM Keyboard (AT 339) and DOS 3.20
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 86 15:23:17 -0500
From: Mark Colan <mtc@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>

I recently purchased a PC/AT model 339, ie the 8Mhz 30Mb disk version
with the NEW keyboard.  There has been some controversy over the new
keyboard, both from a layout standpoint and from a compatibility standpoint.

PC Tech Journal, June 1986, p12 has a good summary on the layout issues.
I will underscore the article's points with those that I am the most concerned
with:

* I hate the location of the CTRL key, and the CAPS-LOCK key.  I'm
  constantly hitting CAPS-LOCK when I really meant CTRL.  This is partially
  because I use a uVaxII and the keyboard is (almost) in the "right" place.
  I wish that the CAPS-LOCK key would simply go away! I NEVER want to be
  in upper-case mode, and am frequently annoyed by falling into it.  I'm
  considering prying off the keycap!

* I don't like the new location of the function keys, even tho now they
  are in the "right" place.  In particular, chording (like when you want
  to press Alt-F1) now requires two hands (for most people), and I discover
  how much I relied on the position of the keys to find them, as in dealing
  with programs which use the Function Keys for menu control.

In order to use the new keyboard, you should probably use DOS 3.20.
If you use DOS 3.10, the new cursor keys and the new Home, PgUp, etc keys
generate an "alpha" character (ie, the Greek letter) on the screen, rather
than having the desired effect.  You CAN use the numeric keypad to do
the cursor moving etc, but the 339 BIOS, upon powering up, apparently
SETS the numeric lock by default, so you have to unset it each time you
boot.

I use DOS 3.10 anyway, though, because in DOS 3.20 the ^U and ^W keys no
longer have the function they did in 3.10, and I can't live without
the ^U in particular.  (It really blows my mind that the ESC key,
the only men compression ratios hover around 33% {compressed file
is 66% of original, whereby 'text' is typically compressed a little
better, and 'executables' less}.  Typical LZW compression ratios
average 55% - highest compression is achieved with pixel-information
{values of 90% are typical} - followed by 'text' with 50% and
executables around 20%.  Although the original 'paper' on LZW
suggested implementation between CPU and peripheral devices
[terminal,disk-drives,mag-tapes] - current usage encompasses
file-compression {Unix COMPRESS, MSDOS ARC, CPM UNArc} - highspeed
proprietary MODEM-protocols {"LZW in SILICON"} and 'picture
transmission' at 1200 baud.

Rgds,
Bernie

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1986  22:45 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
To:   Julius Smith <JOS%CCRMA@SU-AI.ARPA>
Cc:   INFO-HZ100@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA, INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: SQueezed, LBR, and ARC files

Some of the files in the SIMTEL20 MS/PCDOS software libraries have
been transformed by using one or another of the standard public domain
utilities that either SQueezes, LiBRaries, or ARChives files.  This is
done to compress the files to minimize download time, and/or combine
several related files into a single easily-managed file.

These processed files are specially named with a filetype (the last 3
letters of a filename after the '.') that signifies the
transformation. These are:

              .ARC   for files archived with ARC.EXE,
              .LBR   for files libraried with LU.EXE, and
              .?Q?   for squeezed files (middle letter is a Q).

USQ.COM is used to unsqueeze, or expand files that have a "Q" as the
middle letter of the filetype.  Such files have been squeezed, or
compressed with SQ.COM or something similar.  These programs use
Huffman Encoding to reduce the size of the target file.  Depending on
the distribution of data in a file it can be reduced in size by 5% to
60% by squeezing it.  If you download a file with a filetype
indicating that it is squeezed, you will need USQ.COM to expand it
before you can use it.

ARC is used to create and maintain file archives.  An archive is a
group of files collected together into one file in such a way that the
individual files may be recovered intact.  ARC will automatically
compress member files when adding them to the archive, and will expand
them upon extraction.  For files with the .ARC extension, you must
have a copy of ARC.EXE to extract the component files.

LU and its relatives (LUP, LUU, LUE, LUT, LU86, LAR etc.), maintain
libraries of files.  Most LU-type programs do not perform any
compression.  Because of this, most people will squeeze files before
adding them to a library if they want to save space.  If you want to
remove the component files from an .LBR file, you should have a copy
of LUE.COM.  This will break up the library into its component parts,
and optionally unsqueeze any .?Q? files at the same time.  LUU.COM
will create a .LBR file.

For information on ARChives, see the documentation for ARC.  The
various LU utilities will explain .LBR's and LUDEF5.DOC explains the
layout of these files in detail.

For SQ(ueeze) and USQ (unsqueeze) see SQUEEZE.TXT which provides a
background on squeezed files.

A complete list of the MSDOS files and CRCs is available via ftp as
PD:<MSDOS>MSDOS.CRCLST.  A shorter version with just filenames is
PD:<MSDOS>FILES.DIR.  Both are updated frequently.

--Keith

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 86 16:57:17 PDT
From: WU%FAR@ames-io.ARPA
Subject: VMS SQueezed files to PC
To: info-ibmpc-request@isib

transfer the file to a PC.  Otherwise you lose the two byte record header
of a FILES-11 file.

Alex.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 86 23:43 UT
From: OGASAWARAT%HAW.SDSCNET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: 5.25" Drives for Toshiba T-1100 Wanted

Does anyone know if there is an alternate source for 5.25" external disk
drives for the Toshiba T-1100 portable?  The $400 price tag for the one

From:       "Roger Fajman"  <RAF%NIHCU.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Date:     Tue, 10 Jun 86  21:13:22 EDT

[...]

jumper wire between two points on the system board -- something
that many users are hesitant to do.

Since that article was published, I have received numerous
requests for a less obtrusive way to accomplish the same result
-- increasing system board memory to 640K.  Here, then, is
another method that can be used and, from my point of view, a
preferred one because

  o  The modifications are simple and easy to do, and don't
     require any special tools except a screwdriver and/or IC
     chip extractor;
  o  No soldering is necessary;
  o  Since no permanent or irreversible hardware modification is
     made to the system board, you can easily remove the
     modifications whenever warranty service on your computer is
     required; and
  o  It is fully compatible with all versions of MS/PC-DOS and
     software and hardware.

This modification is only good on IBM computers that have the XT
system board; this includes both the IBM PC-XT (both hard disk
and floppy versions), and the IBM Portable PC.  It does not work
for the IBM PC-1 or IBM PC-2 system boards.  A comparable
modification is also available for any COMPAQ 8088-based Portable
Computer of Revision "C" or higher vintage.

The modification involves installing one (COMPAQ) or two (IBM XT)
custom-designed logic integrated circuit chips (ICs) into
existing sockets on the system boards of the respective machines.
Once this is done, two of the four 64Kb banks of chips on the
system board can be replaced with 256Kb chips, giving you either
384Kb (if one row is replaced) or 640Kb (if both rows are
replaced) memory on your system board.

These custom ICs are included in a PC-XT System Board 640K
Upgrade (part # INN-8008) and COMPAQ Portable Logic Board 640K
Upgrade kit (part # INN-8080) manufactured by Innoventions Inc.

Both upgrade kits include the required ICs and detailed
instructions for installation; the 256Kb memory chips are not
included and should be purchased separately.  (Nine 256Kb memory
chips are required for each row of memory that you wish to
replace.)

NOTE:  If you perform these modifications, it is recommended that
you save the original ICs so that you can put them back in your
computer if warranty service is ever required.

IBM PC-XT/Portable Upgrade

The XT/Portable upgrade kit contains two ICs.  Each IC is about
the same size as a memory chip and is labeled U44 or U84.  The
U44 chip replaces the existing U44 chip on the right side of the
system board; the U84 chip plugs into an empty socket on the
front of the system board to the left of Bank 3 of memory chips.

Once these ICs have been installed, you must remove any existing
64Kb memory chips from Bank 2 and Bank 3, leaving the 64Kb memory
chips in Bank 0 and Bank 1 intact.  For 384K total system memory,
install 256Kb chips on Bank 2, leaving Bank 3 empty; for 640K
total system memory, install 256Kb chips on both Bank 2 and Bank
3.  The system configuration DIP switch must then be reset
according to the provided instructions.

COMPAQ Portable Upgrade

The COMPAQ Portable upgrade kit contains one IC.  This chip
replaces the existing decoder chip on the COMPAQ system board.
The decoder chip is located underneath the memory chips rows and
is marked 100340-001.

Once the new decoder chip is installed, you must remove any
existing 64Kb memory chips from the third and fourth rows of
memory chips.  Replace the third row of 64Kb memory chips with
256Kb chips for 384K system board memory and the fourth row of
64Kb chips for a total of 640K system board memory.  The system
configuration switch(es) must then be reset according to the
provided instructions.

Parts Availability

The Innoventions upgrade kits are available from:

  ARISTO Computer Services
  16811 El Camino Real
  Suite 213
  Houston, TX  77058
  (713) 480-6288

Prices are $49.00 for the IBM XT/Portable upgrade and $29.00 for
the COMPAQ Portable upgrade kit.  Substantial discounts are
available for quantity purchases.

Both upgrade kits are available from the Capital PC Buying Group;
the IBM XT/Portable is $25 and the COMPAQ kit is $17.  256Kb
memory chips are also available from the Buying Group for around

To: kegel@juliet.caltech.edu
Cc: info-ibmpc@usc-isib

Date: Wed 11 Jun 86 07:46:31-EDT
From: Bruce Hillyer <BRUCE@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU>

To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 86 15:23:17 -0500
From: Mark Colan <mtc@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>

[...]

the only means of wiping out a line in 3.20, works so poorly: instead of
back-erasing to the prompt as ^U does in 3.10, it puts a backslash at the
end of your garbage line, and puts the prompt in the MIDDLE of the next
line.  Ugly!).

I had hoped to use ProKey or SuperKey to be able to use 3.10 AND also use
the new cursor etc keys; however, Borland sez that SuperKey needs some
revision before it can support the 339 keyboard.  I suspect that the
same is true with ProKey (anyone know for sure?).

The 3 June 86 issue of PC WEEK has an article on the front cover about how
IBM is fixing quirks in the 339 keyboard.  Apparently BASIC and BASICA in
DOS 3.20 don't properly use the new keys; they generate alpha's the same as
if you were using 3.10.  According to the article, IBM is providing
customers with a patch disk called DOS 3.21 which remedies the BASIC problem.
The article mentions that some software developers have complained that
current versions of their programs do not run properly with the new IBM
keyboard; presumably they mean with the new cursor etc keys: I find that
I can use the numeric keypad the same as always with all software I've tried.

There IS one positive aspect of the new keyboard, in my opinion:  the action
of the keys is more comfortable and MUCH quieter (used to keep my housemates
awake with the CLACK! CLACK! of a late-night AT hacker).  I prefer the new
action so much over the old that I ALMOST feel that it justifies the rest
of the complaints.  Almost, but not quite.

Has anyone come up with a software solution to ease the problems with the
new keyboard?  Can someone tell me how to find RoseSoft so I can ask them
about ProKey and the new keyboard?

Mark Colan
MIT Project Athena

------------------------------

From: mo@well.UUCP (Maurice Weitman)
Subject: Keyboard Extension Cables
Date: 13 May 86 15:18:03 GMT

george@mnetor.UUCP (George Hart) writes:
>I've built myself an extension keyboard cable using some Belden
>cable (about 6.5 ft long) and DIN connectors from the local Radio Shack.
>I noticed some strange behaviour including a self-induced reset
>and a partial freezeup.
>Are they supposed to be grounded?

I'm not sure about the grounding, but I can say that I've used (and
bought for dozens of others to use) standard Hi-Fi/Stereo-type 5-pin
D.I.N. 10-foot extension cables (which sell for about $3-$4) on IBM-PCs,
and XTs with absolutely no problems at all.

Maurice Weitman     9600   ..!{hplabs,lll-crg,ptsfa,glacier}!well!mo
       |           57600   (415)549-0280 voice   (415)549-0388 modem-2400
   this^is not       300   mcimail mweitman
     a pipe          110   P. O. Box 10019       Berkeley, CA  94709

------------------------------

From: alexande@drivax.UUCP
Subject: How to Make a Null Printer
Date: 30 Apr 86 02:06:00 GMT

If you have a printer port but no printer, use a paper clip to connect
pins 11 and 23 on the port.  This connects the BUSY* input to ground,
so attempts to use the printer will not hang the system.  I did this
after my toddler son banged on the PrtSc key a few too many times.
Here's how the port looks (* indicates the pins that should be
connected):

      13			 1
	o o * o o o o o o o o o o
	 o o * o o o o o o o o o
       25			14

Mark Alexander   {ihnp4,mot,ucscc,ucbvax!hplabs!amdahl} !drivax!alexande

------------------------------

From: luke@mnetor.UUCP (Luke Matthys)
Subject: Re: 8 Serial Ports for AT
Date: 27 May 86 15:52:45 GMT

> I am looking for a board that will enable us to hook 8 MODEMS to an
> IBM-AT.  I know that we will have to write our own communications
> software.  I would like to get a board that has drivers for SCO XENIX
> available, as well as being able to be run from DOS.  A smart board
> (i/o processor on board, etc.) would be nice...

I've used the Digicom/4 and Digicom/8 from Digiboard Inc.  They work
great.  The address is:  Digiboard Incorporated
			 6751 Oxford Street
			 St. Louis Park, MN 55426
	phone: (612) 922 - 8055.

Luke G. Matthys
UUCP:  {decvax|allegra|ihnp4|linus|utcsri}!utzoo!mnetor!luke
BELL:  (416) 475-8980 ext. 332

------------------------------

To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA
Subject: Update of GRAPH
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 86 18:40:43 -0500
From: James R. Van Zandt <jrv@mitre-bedford.ARPA>

I have updated my GRAPH program and the supporting programs. Please
replace the corresponding files in the library.  Note that I've
grouped some of the files to limit the complexity:
       (g3.doc  bench.doc  g.h  g3.h  mkfile)  -->  core.doc
                      (graph.doc  sinh  sine)  -->  graph.doc
Here's a revised blurb...

GRAPH                 GRAPH takes pairs of points (two numbers per line)
(subdirectory)        from a file or standard input as x- and y- values
bench.c               and plots them on the screen, connected by straight
g31.c                 lines.  Axes with convenient values are chosen
g32.c                 automatically.  Labels, lines of different styles,
ghi.c                 widths, and/or colors, or markers of different
gpc.c                 shapes may be specified.  Revisions since 9/15/85
graph.c               version include capacity for more line segments and
gz.c                  support of Houston Instruments DMP-29 plotter.
scale.c               Equivalent to the UNIX program GRAPH.  G31.C and
core.doc              G32.C are a portable implementation of the CORE
graph.doc             graphics standard.  The above are in directory
                      <info-ibmpc.graph>.
                      <James R.  Van Zandt, jrv@mitre-bedford> 6/8/86

[The library has been updated. -rag]

------------------------------

Date: Sunday, 8 June 1986  11:06-MDT
Sender: Bernie Eiben - LDP Workstations <EIBEN@MARLBORO.DEC.COM>
From: Bernie Eiben - LDP Workstations <EIBEN@MARLBORO.DEC.COM>
Subject: Inline Code for Turbo Pascal

Now available from SIMTEL20:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<CPM.TURBOPAS>
PMLINK.LBR.1			BINARY	 26240  ABF1H

PMLINK holds a 'close relative' to:

Directory PD:<MSDOS.TURBO-PASCAL>
INLINE.ARC.1			BINARY	 34124  82DDH

Both make inclusion of 'inline code' for TURBO easier. INLINE supports
MSDOS, PMLINK supports CP/M - although it shouldn't be too involved to
convert PMLINK for MSDOS.

Differences between the two:

1. PMLINK is distributed with source { MC June 1986 translated by me}

2. PMLINK takes Microsofts REL-format and generates 'inline' code ,
   whereas INLINE tries to do the 'assembly' itself.

3. PMLINK is 'superfast' - although thats of minor importance - more
   important is usage of REL format, which is pretty close to OBJ format.

...another nice piece of TURBO .. and another nice example how to speed
up TURBO's already impressive performance.

Rgds,
Bernie.

------------------------------

Date: 9 Jun 86 07:43 EDT
From: Mark Williams <mlw@ncsc>
Subject: INT 20
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib

Regarding program termination with DOS INT 20...

I can't say why the "tech support people" suggested ending the program with
INT 20 rather than with DOS function 4C, but I have some information about
the differences and the conditions governing the contents of CS: (taken
largely from Norton's Programmer's Guide to the IBM PC)

A .COM program always has CS: set to the PSP, so INT 20 is a simple way to
exit from such a situation.  However, if the program contains a FAR call to
a subroutine, CS: will be modified.  That subroutine should not use INT 20
to end the program.

An .EXE program has its CS: value set by the linker, but both DS and ES
point at the PSP.  It would seem reasonably simple to move the ES value
into CS (for instance), since a standard PC will indeed let you load CS:
directly.  However, perhaps some facet of the clock or clone inhibits
that.  It seems unreasonable, though, that an assembler routine would be
unable to modify CS:.

As for differences between INT 20 and function 4C, here's some more Norton-
esque info:

INT 20 "is used to exit from a program and pass control back to DOS.  It is
identical to DOS function call 0...  these services can be used interchange-
ably with any version of DOS to end a program...[INT 20] does not automatical-
ly close files when it terminates a program... If the CS register has been
changed [such that it no longer points to the PSP], it will interfere with
the operation of this service."

"Function 76 (hex 4C): Terminate Process...ends a program and passes back a
return code.  If the program was invoked as a subprogram, the return code
can be found through function 77 [4D].  [Sets DOS ERROR-LEVEL for batch
processing, too].  ...automatically closes any files that were opened with
function ...3D-- and presumably with function [3C], as well."

One possible difference between these two (besides the file handling) is the
use of register AL, which contains the return code from func 4C, but is not
identified (in this particular source) as meaningful after INT 20.  The tone
of the interrupt/function descriptions makes it sound as if INT 20 is a more
common means of ending a program.  Perhaps DOS version is a consideration;
func 4C was not defined until DOS 2.0, so a program utilizing it won't run
on EVERY MS-DOS machine.

Hope this helps some........Mark L. Williams
                            Naval Coastal Systems Center

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7-Jun-86 10:18:11 PDT
From: ghsvax!pelican!pete@csvax.caltech.edu (Pete Carah)
Subject: Re: Computer/computer disk read
To: spears@nrl-aic.arpa
Cc: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa

No, it is NOT possible for a PC or compatible to read either Commodore
or Apple disks without additional hardware (Quadlink, for example, for
Apple disks - it might also read Commodore but NOT with the supplied
software).  Both Commodore and Apple used proprietary disk formats,
chosen primarily for cheapness of the drive and interface, whereas IBM
and compatibles used an "industry standard" disk format.  It IS possible
to read Radio Shack Model 3 or Model 1 DOUBLE DENSITY disks on most
PC's (newer disk controller chips, older ones can't read sector 0), but
not single density using IBM's controller board.  You will need to find
a Commodore and follow Billy's suggestion of copying via a serial port.

-- Pete
{ihnp4, scgvaxd, vortex}!pelican!pete

------------------------------

From: Kevin Terpstra <war%tp3@rand-unix.ARPA>
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: Davong
Date: 09 Jun 86 13:51:06 PDT (Mon)

Davong was acquired by Santa Clara System (I have no idea why but it isn't
the first strange thing that SCS has done).  I don't believe that SCS is
supporting Davong's stupid MULTI-OS because the last "working" release had
so many serious bugs that it made DOS 3.0 look great and SCS doesn't have
many programmer types.  They get their device drivers from other people.

------------------------------

From: <lll-crg!seismo!philabs!linus!axiom!drilex!david@lll-tis-b.ARPA>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 86 12:08:10 edt
Subject:  Software Source Code Control Systems

the IBM-PC MS DOS family, I can recommend the following:

	Software Revision Management System
	Quilt Computing
	7048 Stratford Road
	Woodbury, MN 55125
	(612)739-4650

We have been using this system (similar to Unix code control system) on
a Banyan network, and while it is not written as a distributed application
using DOS 3.1 or Netbios, it can be easily adapted for multiple users.  I
have found that Quilt is very responsive with our questions and suggestions,
and am quite happy with the product.

------------------------------

To:  info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
From:  CRB%NIHCU.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Date:     Tue, 10 Jun 86  11:20:01 EDT
Subject:  PC/IX - Hercules Mischief

The XT running PC/IX is a wonderful beast, but...  Does anyone have
experience with the screen glitching PC/IX does with the Hercules
board?  Old text which scrolls off the top reappears in occasional
fragments later on.  This makes for confusing reading, and is
certainly unaesthetic.  Is there a cure?

(Replies to info-ibmpc, please; I haven't figured uucp out yet!)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Jun 86 12:30:44 edt
From: Davidsen <dual!lll-crg!seismo!rochester!steinmetz!davidsen@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
To: ulysses!USC-ISIB.ARPA!Info-IBMPC
Subject: STB Graphics Boards

I have used the STB Chauffer (sp?) a bit on a friend's machine, and will
pass on the following:
- Hercules compatibility: great, right down to some bugs brought out by
  one program. The STB craps out in the same way.
- CGA compatibility: also great. It seems to emulate the modes and colors
  (in greyscale) just fine.

Do not confuse this with other STB boards, I had nothing but problems with
their EGA and had to send it back.
	-bill davidsen

  ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
                                       \
                    unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
                                       /
         sixhub ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"

------------------------------

Date: Sunday, 8 June 1986  08:34-MDT
From: Bernie Eiben - LDP Workstations <EIBEN@MARLBORO.DEC.COM>
Subject: Mini text regarding SQ,ARC,LZW

Since somebody asked about differences between Huffman encoding and
ARC [or whats the difference between a cherry and an apple-pie] - I
decided to give my 'two cents' worth. There are LONG articles and
dissertations floating around -- but who reads them...

		A mini-introduction into ARC

ARC in some way is comparable to LSWEEP or LU in that it is a
PACKAGING method.  Files with extension ARC contain a 'marker',
followed by file information, file-data, file information, file-data
etc.

ARC's packaging method guarantees NO GROWTH during storage , i.e.
file contents are analyzed before storage and either stored

1. AS IS {typically files in the 1 to 200 byte range}
2. with repeat-compression {same range as above}
3. using Huffman 8-byte encoding {sometimes executables}
4. using Lempel-Ziv-Welch encoding {all others}

ARC free's the user from 'worrying' about storage mechanisms and
delivers practically all needed services {extract, store, list, type,
check, execute and re-compress using 'latest' state of compression
technique}.  ARC is 'downward' compatible.  It is currently heavily
used in the MSDOS/PCDOS world, although usage in RCPM systems is
starting with availability of a fast DE-ARCer {a CP/M version of ARC
is 'in the works' by Bob Freed}.

ARC belongs into the category of "Share-ware" or "Free-ware" - it is
copyrighted by System Enhancement Associates {source-language C,
system MSDOS} - UnARC was written by Bob Freed for the Public Domain
{source-language assembler, system CP/M}.

		A mini comparison of Huffman Encoding
				 and
		  Lempel-Ziv-Welch {LZW} techniques

Huffman Encoding expresses each storage unit as a variable length
pointer into a frequency-ordered tree.  Compression is achieved by
choosing a 'native' storage unit {where repetitions are bound to
occur} and {on the average} expressing the more frequent storage units
with shorter pointers [although less used units might be presented by
longer pointers].  The Encoding process needs 'two passes' i.e.  once
reading all units {under CP/M and MSDOS 8bit bytes} to build the
frequency ordered tree {also called the 'dictionary'} and then
translating all units into their respective pointer values.  Original
filename, dictionary and pointer values are stored - by convention the
SECOND character of the filename extension is changed to Q - reminder
of a 'squeezed' file.

LZW expresses strings of 8-bit bytes by pointers into an 'ordered'
string-table.  The rules for 'constructing' the table are reversible,
so that Compressor and De-Compressor can 'build' their table
'on-the-fly'.  LZW is 'one-pass' although  achieved  speed is VERY
dependent on language implementation and available physical memory [in
general more than 90% of time spent in 'hashing' and table searching].
Although early implementations of LZW seemed to need more than 64K of
physical memory, current enhancements make a maximum of 2**11 table
entries sufficient to handle all cases.  State of the art
implementations check 'compression ratio' on the fly - and rebuild the
table if compression ratio decreases beyond a minimum or rebuild the
table on table overflow.

Typical Huffman compression ratios hover around 33% {compressed file

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 86 23:43 UT
From: OGASAWARAT%HAW.SDSCNET@LLL-MFE.ARPA

Does anyone know if there is an alternate source for 5.25" external disk
drives for the Toshiba T-1100 portable?  The $400 price tag for the one
from Toshiba is a bit too high for my tastes.

Another question:  The Toshiba T-1100 PC Floppy Link, which allows the
T-1100 to use the disk drive in a PC or XT, seems to prevent the
ability for the XT to boot from its hard disk.  Has anyone gotten
around this problem?

Thanks in advance...todd

Todd Ogasawara
University of Hawaii, Dept. of Psychology

ARPA:  OGASAWARAT%HAW.SDCSNET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
UUCP:  {ihnp4,dual,vortex}!islenet!uhmanoa!toddo
    or {backbone}!sdcsnet!noscvax!humu!uhmanoa!toddo

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1986 23:24:47 EDT
From: Joe Hong '87  <6061204%PUCC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: Hardcard from Plus (Query)

     A few months ago I saw an advertisement in BYTE magazine for
the Hardcard by someone I've never heard of, PLUS.
     I'm very interested in getting a hard drive for my ATT6300,
and I was wondering if anyone on the net has heard any information
or even better, has actually bought one of these things.
     Questions:
1. What's your opinion on performance? Does it satisfy your expectations
and do everything it's supposed to?
2. Installation - Where there any problems in sliding it into the
long slot of a PC ( or better yet ATT6300 )?
3. Power Requirements - Does it run off its own power supply or does
it take juice from the host PC?
4. Price - The ad I saw for it didn't have a price. How much, or about
how much, did the thing take.

     The idea from Plus of putting a hard drive on a card and just
sticking it into a PC slot I think is wonderful.
     I just want to have 20 or so meg of disk storage and if I
can just do that by sliding in a card, I will applaud Plus.

                                        Joe Hong   ( CS major ) '87
                                        Princeton University

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 86 13:55:21 -0200
From:   Korzion yair  <yair%bengus.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
To:  info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: Loading Modules Query

I would like to present a problem I am facing writing a loader module
for the IBM-PC-AT :

I am using INT 4B for loading executables. (I am not interested in
executing these modules but in loading them only).  Does anyone out
there know how to get the main entry point of an `.exe' executable
when using INT 4B with AL = 3?  The technical reference manual says it
is written in the file header.  Is there any way one can accesss that
header after a `load overlay' operation is done (through INT 4B, AL =
3)?

							Yair.
							(yair@bengus.bitnet)

------------------------------

Date:  Sun, 8 Jun 86 23:44 MST
From:  Allan Haggett <Haggett@HIS-PHOENIX-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject:  Epsilon and windows query
To:  info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

Does anyone have any experience running Epsilon with either MS-Windows
or DESQview?  I am looking at getting one of these window packages and
would like some warning as to how they may interact with this treasured
editor.

-- Allan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1986 09:38 EST
From: Jim Ennis  <JIM%UCF1VM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: DisplayWrite3 under DOS 3.1 Query
To: info-ibmpc <INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

Can anybody tell me if they have DisplayWrite 3.0 working under DOS
3.1 If you do have it working did you have to do any special tricks to
get it working?

Jim Ennis
University of Central Florida

JIM%UCF1VM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 86 18:07 GMT
From: DEVOTO%LLL@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Low-level Hard Disk Programs Query
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

Recently, there have been ads or reviews for two hard disk low level
formatters or diagnostics: HTEST/HFORMAT (Kolod Research, Glenview,
IL) and HDTEST (Proto, St. Paul, MINN).  They claim to do low-level
formatting similar to IBM Advanced Diagnostics disk but for a wide
variety of hard disks and controllers that are not supported on the
IBM disk.  Does anyone have any experience with these programs or
others that furnish this function?  If there is enough interest, I'll
summarize to the net.
			Steve

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 9 Jun 86 13:54:54 Real Time
From:     Nick Dunlavey <nickd%cs.qmc.ac.uk@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK>
To:       info-ibmpc-request@usc-isib.arpa
Subject:  IBM PC Networks info request

I need information about LANs for IBM PCs, XTs, ATs and
compatibles.  I know very little about networking, so I get
confused about terminology, and about what is done by hardware
and software.

I am currently writing a multi-user training simulator to run
on IBM PCs.  I have it just about finished in the
single-user stand-alone version, but it now needs to be
networked.  The aim is to have about 10 simulataneous users,
each using a PC or XT which runs the user interface part of the
simulator, and these talk to a central "model server" running
on an AT.  I need to be able to send small (about 100 bytes?)
messages from the user interface machines to the AT and back.
I'm not intereted in writing device drivers for RS232 lines,
etc - I just want to be able to say "send this packet to that
machine"

Is Token-Ring sufficient for this?  My naive understanding is
that Token-Ring is a firmware" product that utilises the IBM
Cabling System hardware.  I further understand that products
like Tapestry and Torus Icon are application level software
that utilise the facilities of Token-Ring.  Can somebody out
there please correct any misconceptions.

Nick Dunlavey
nickd@qmc-cs.uucp                                       UUCP
...!ukc!{root44,wcwvax,kcl-cs,qmc-ori}!qmc-cs!nickd     OLD UUCP
nickd@cs.qmc.ac.uk or nickd@uk.ac.qmc.cs                JANET

------------------------------

Date: Mon 9 Jun 86 23:38:38-PDT
From: Frank Chen <Frank@SU-CSLI.ARPA>
Subject: Serial interface specs needed for NEC Spinwriter
To: INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA

Does anyone know the serial interface specifications for a NEC
Spinwriter 3510 and/or NEC Spinwriter 7710 for use with an IBM-PC?  I
can't seem to get it to print.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please send replies directly to me, since I don't read this BBoard
regularly.  Thanks.

Frank (FRANK@SU-CSLI.ARPA)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 86 09:53 PDT
From: nsalvador.ES@Xerox.COM
Subject: Dataflow Diagrams Query

I'm shopping around for IBM PC compatible software that will aid in the
construction of dataflow diagrams.  Basically, I'm looking for a
graphics package that would allow me to join constructs into single
entities, extract information from the diagram and compile a data
dictionary from it, etc.  I don't know if such a product exists but any
information would be appreciated.

I'm also looking for a software package that does data dictionary
management.  I'd like to be able to generate data item and
cross-reference listings, reference, copy, or modify any data item by a
unique identifier, identify any and all data items which appear in a
definition but are not defined elsewhere and vice versa, etc.  Ideally,
this data dictionary would be expanded to become a lifecycle dictionary.

If anyone knows of any products that come close, I would appreciate the
information.

Naomi Salvador
Xerox Corporation
555 S. Aviation Blvd.
Bldg. M1-52
El Segundo, CA  90245

------------------------------

Date: Tue 10 Jun 86 12:36:24-PDT
From: Steve Dennett <DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
Subject: Apple Imagewriter Query

Sitting next to my IBM PC is an Apple Imagewriter dot matrix
printer.  I'd like to connect the two.  (I think the printer
uses a serial connection.)  If anyone has succeeded in doing
this, your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Steve Dennett
dennett@sri-nic.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 1986 14:08 EST
From: Jim Ennis  <JIM%UCF1VM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: AutoDex Query
To: info-ibmpc <INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

   I am trying to determine the status  of a program called "Autodex" or
"AXX".  It is a file management program that one of our users would like
to use.  Buried in the code is the name SimpliFile,  copyright 1982,1983
by Durant  Software.   I  would like to  know the  legal status  of this
program (i.e., public domain, shareware, commercial product)  and who to
contact about the program if possible.

Thanks,

Date: 10-Jun-1986 1643
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA
Subject: Info wanted on Undocumented DOS Calls

I am compiling a list of "undocumented" DOS function calls.  If anyone
has information on any of these, please mail it to me.  I will post the
list here if/when it gets a bit longer.  Thanks.

usenet - decwrl!akov04.dec.com!watson
arpa   - watson.dec.com!watson@decwrl.arpa
uucp   - {decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!akov04.dec.com!watson
enet   - akov04::watson

[We'd sure appreciate a better net address -- I've never been able
 to get a msg thru to the one(s) given. -rag]

------------------------------

From: <bmarsh%cod@nosc.ARPA>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 86 09:34:50 pdt
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib
Subject: Jlaser Software Query

Has anyone written any software for the Tall Tree jlaser card?  I've
been trying to understand the joutput program which came with the cards,
but they don't do a very good job at commenting the source.  I would
like to port the plotting software posted to net.sources a few weeks ago
to use the jlaser card, but without some more documentation, it may be
very tough.

Bill Marsh
bmarsh@nosc

End of Info-IBMPC Digest