[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V5 #62

Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA.UUCP (06/20/86)

Info-IBMPC Digest      Friday, June 20, 1986      Volume 5 : Issue 62

This Week's Editor:  Richard Nelson

Today's Topics:

                     MMDF II for the IBM PC SCO Xenix V.
           Microsoft MASM V4, IBM Graphics Toolkit Incompatibility
                       Hollerith Strings in MS FORTRAN
                     Screenwriter's WP Software (2 msgs)
                         NEC (and Other) Serial Cable
                 Hard Disks for Portable/Hard Cards (2 msgs)
               Data Flow Diagramer with a Dictionary Interface

Today's Problems/Queries:

             MS FORTRAN 3.31 and Memory Resident Software Problem
                  Xebec Floppy/Hard Disk Controller Problems
                 Tall Tree JRAM-AT and Xenix(tm) 1.0 Problem
                            ASUKA Keyboard Problem
                   SixPakPremium Card and DeskView Problem
                          IBM Portable Display Query
                     Z158 Echo Patch in command.com Query
                       Project Planning Software Query
                              3-D Software Query
                       Determining Active Program Query
               Radio Shack-PC Computer/Computer Disk Read Query
                      Power-On Memory Test Bypass Query
                      Calling MS C from Assembler Query
                             C Beautifier Wanted
                         Venix Operating System Query
                            NEC V20 Software Query
                          Programming the EGA Query
                     Zenith 248 with PC Networking Query
                      Amdek 310A and TTL Monitors Query
                  Alternatives to IBM Diagnostics Kits Query
                      EMS Board on PC's Ltd Clone Query

To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA, info-micro@brl.ARPA
Subject: MMDF II for the IBM PC SCO Xenix V.
Date: Sun, 15 Jun 86 18:26:19 -0400
From: Dave Farber <farber@huey.udel.EDU>

This is intended as an invitation to help us field beta test a new port of the
MMDF II message transport system that has just come up under SCO Xenix V for
the IBM AT and PCs.  It is the latest version of MMDF and supports all the
transformation etc features.  It also comes with a msg message agent.  Right
now we have the uucp channel (as well as local etc) operational as well as the
equivalent on our 4.2 vaxens.  Soon the Phonenet channel will also be
operational.

Again we are interested in Beta testers.  The porting effort was done first by
Steve Caine of CFG Inc for the Altos and then Chuck Cranor of the University
of Delaware for the SCO product.  Please send mail to either
cranor@louie.udel.edu or me.

Dave

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 86 15:39:13 edt
From: jcm@ORNL-MSR.ARPA (James A. Mullens)
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib
Subject: Microsoft MASM V4, IBM Graphics Toolkit Incompatibility

This is a note about an incompatibility between macro assemblers, and a bug
fix for programmers using the Microsoft macro assembler version 4 with IBM's
Graphics Development Toolkit (VDI package).

I recently wrote an assembly language program which calls VDI package
routines.  The program did not work correctly when assembled with Microsoft's
MASM version 4, but did work correctly when assembled with IBM's (slow) MASM V
2.  (Can you say "I bet that took a while to discover"?  I thought you
could!).  I called the VDI package authors (GSS), and they volunteered to look
at the problem if I sent them a disk.  In about a week I got the disk and this
reply back.

  Date: 06/06/86
  From: Randy Salo  GSS Product Support Manager

  Apparently the Microsoft Macro Assembler Version 4.00 contains some
  increased restrictions about how the ASSUME directive is handled in
  conjunction with the EXTRN directive.  Due to the way the GSS*VDI
  Macro Assembler Binding macro file MACVDI.MAC is constructed, the
  4.00 Macro Assembler loses track of the proper segments in which
  binding code belongs.  While other versions of the Macro Assembler
  allow MACVDI.MAC to be constructed the way it is, the 4.00 version
  does not.

  In order to fix this problem, the macro include file MACVDI.MAC must
  be modified to explicitly override any ASSUME directives a macro
  assembler application may contain.  The easiest way to do this is to
  define a new macro called V_C that looks like the following:

        V_C     Macro   Routine
                Call    VDI:Routine
                Endm

  This macro definition must go at the top of the MACVDI.MAC include
  file.

  The next thing that must be done is all CALL statements in the
  MACVDI.MAC include file must be changed to invoke the V_C macro.  For
  example, there is a call in MACVDI.MAC that looks like the following:

        CALL    v_opnwk

  It must be changed to appear as follows:

        V_C     v_opnwk

  It should be noted that EVERY CALL in the file must be modified as in
  the above example.

  The above fix will work with your IBM version of the assembler as
  well.

I would like to offer a public "thank you" to GSS from a customer who
has no other interest in the company.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 86 08:48:18 EDT
From: Bernard_Tiffany%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Hollerith Strings in MS FORTRAN

[From V5 #61 and  Evan Bauman's mention of MS FORTRAN's problem with
CALLs using Hollerith strings instead of quoted strings. MS FORTRAN
follows a subset of the F77 standard. -rn]

The FORTRAN 77 standard allows Hollerith strings only in the FORMAT
statements. They are not true character constants.  True  character
constants should be embedded within quotes.

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jun 86 20:45:29 PDT
From:     larry@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA
Subject: Screenwriter's WP Software: Scriptor
To:       info-ibmpc@isib.arpa

The only commercial product I know of is Scriptor from Screenplay Systems,
(818) 843-6557, in Burbank, California.  It accepts files written with
several word processors (including MS Word, Wordstar, and New Word).  They
advise against use with several word processors that use a lot of format
codes inserted inline in the ASCII text.  It produces a screenplay that
follows a number of rules, such as "don't do page breaks between character
names and dialogue for that character."  Apparently it does other actions
too, some only on request, such as repaginate and automatically number scenes
a table of contents listing pages, scenes, scene headings, and scene lengths.
Cost is $295 and runs on MS-DOS, CP/M 80 and 86, and will work with a wide
variety of printers.

I have not used this product and can't give you any recommendations on it.
I use Wordstar myself and insert phony dot commands (such as ..SCENE) which
I later replace with the Wordstar Ctrl-QA command.
                                                        Larry @ jpl-vlsi.arpa

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 17 Jun 86 13:17 EDT
From:     BAGLEY%temple.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
To:       info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject:  Scriptwriter's Wordprocessor: AVWord

> An associate of mine is looking for a word processor designed especially
> for screen-writers.  Send any mail to BROWNINGBD@VTVAX5.BITNET
> Thanks in advance,
>
>        --Walter
>             c/o Barry D. Browning
>
> [There's a program called Scriptor, but I don't know anything more about
>  it than the name.  -rag]

How about ...
AVWord - 2 independent 38 col work areas on screen.  Easy jumps from one to
the other.  Blocking, deleting, adding, moving in one column without
disturbuing adjacent column lines.  Prints what you see in single, double,
triple, space with headers and footers if needed.  $125 list.
I've used it myself for about half an hour and it performs pretty well.  I
am not a scriptwriter, however, so I don't use it myself.  I know the guy
who wrote it and I think that it is a worthwhile product.  (I don't
receive any favors for telling other people about his software).  It is
available from:
  Silverwood Software
  3401 Market St.
  Philadelphia, PA  19104
  tel: 215-387-7979

Doug Bagley
(Bagley%temple.csnet@csnet-relay)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 86 10:26 PDT
From: GeorgeBurkitt.ES@Xerox.COM
Subject: NEC (and Other) Serial Cable
To: INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
cc: GeorgeBurkitt.ES@Xerox.COM

>I got the following from a book titled,                1 --- 1
>"RS_232 Made Easy: Connecting Computers,    C  2 --> 3   P
>"Printers, Terminals and Modems" by Martin   O 3 <-- 2   R
>>D. Seyer, Prentice-Hall, 1984.                    M   4 --> 8   I

The easiest solution I've found to RS-232 is the Black Box series of
"Easy-Connect Cable Adapters".  These are standardizing modules you mount
permanently on each RS-232 connector; you then interconnect with a
telephone-like quick-connect RJ-12 plugs/cable.  There are custom modules for
almost all printers and modems, computers, plotters, video terminals etc.
(Only 6 modules are needed for the above !.  The only drawback I see is that
the cables are unshielded....they're just like the new telephone cords, only 6
wires instead of 4.  If you need to hook up your printer to a different
source, you just unplug the phone cord and plug it in the other computer.
Costs $12.95 per module plus a few bucks for the cable.  No more fussing with
the hardware, you *know* it's OK; you can get on with debugging the protocol.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 86 11:20 PDT
From: GeorgeBurkitt.ES@Xerox.COM
Subject: Hard Disks for Portable
To: INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
cc: GeorgeBurkitt.ES@Xerox.COM

>a half-height hard disk which is shock-resistant and specifically
>designed for use in the Portable?

In general, the 3.5" hard disks are more shock-resistant than the larger
drives, and can be adapted to the 1/2 height applications with simple
brackets (most are available with these brackets from the manufacturer).
LaPine Technology, Rodime Inc, Peripheral Technology Inc., Microscience
International Corp. all brag about shock and vibration resistance,
obviously looking for portable business.  In the 1/2 high bracket, they
are probably even more resistant to damage. to damage.

> Subject: PLUS Hardcard
Another company advertising a Hard Card equivalent is Portable Solutions
(Backpac International Corp) about whom I know next to nothing.  They
have an office in Austin Texas.

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 16 Jun 1986 13:48 CDT
From:           Shawn L. Morrissey
  <GABRIEL%TAMCBA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject:      The Hardcards
To:  <INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

I recently found quite a good deal on a 20M hardcard from PC Connection.
The card itself takes up 1 1/2 slots.  The list price is $489 until the
end of June.  Their ads can be found in magazines such as PC Week, and
PC World.

I have no affiliation with PC Connection.  Good luck if you get one.

Shawn Morrissey (Gabriel@TAMCBA)

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 16 Jun 86 21:46:41 PDT
From:     larry@Jpl-VLSI.ARPA
Subject: Data Flow Diagramer with a Dictionary Interface
To:       info-ibmpc@isib.arpa

There are perhaps a dozen data-flow diagramers incorporating a
dictionary that you can buy off the shelf.  All tend to be pretty expensive
unless you're doing a medium-to-large project, in which case they're well
worth the $6000-$8000 for the more elaborate.  I've done an extensive
comparison of three (Excelerator, DesignAid/CASE 2000, and Yourdon SW
Engineers Workbench).   Currently the best is Excelerator for the PC/AT
environment (on the XT they're all too slow), but it has a number of
features that could be improved.  Other products in the same price class
that I've only seen in demos includes Pro-Kit Analyst from McDonnell-Douglas.
All of them allow you to draw control-structure and data-structure diagrams
as well as data-flow diagrams.  DesignAid, however, can only do consistency/
completeness checking on data-flow diagrams and draws them using character
and not bit-map graphics, so they look pretty crude.  The Workbench is now
only a beta-test version, but has some useful features, such as the ability
to draw finite-state diagrams and smoothly (but SLOWLY) zoom diagrams from
very small to very large windows onto the diagrams.

The next cheaper (at $1000) is PCSA (PC Structured Analysis tool) from
StructSoft in Parsippany, New Jersey, (201) 292-9889.  It only does data-flow
diagrams and the dictionary contains only data items (data-flows and data-
stores) and not process items (unlike the three above).  Thus there is no
ability to cross-reference data against process, for instance.  It is fast
enough to run on an XT, however, and produces fairly attractive diagrams
using pop-up menus, so it's not all that difficult to learn and use.

The next cheapest would be one of the cheaper CAD/CAM drawing packages or
MacPaint clones, but they don't have a dictionary capability.  Sorry, but
that's the current state-of-the-art in structured-analysis tools.

             Larry @ jpl-vlsi.arpa

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 20 Jun 86 00:05 EST
To:  info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
From:  GKN3M2%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: MS FORTRAN 3.31 and Memory Resident Software Problem

A beleaguered MS Fortran user has the following problem.  Is there anyone who
knows the fix to this bug?

I recently began using MS current release (3.31) of their fortran compiler and
ran into an interesting, and annoying 'bug'.  It seems that most terminate
stay resident programs, including SIDEKICK and SP ,a t r print spooler, will
not function correctly when invoked when executing programs compiled w/3.31.
When the same programs are compiled w/rel. 3.2, the t r programs work fine.
Symptoms are:

         SIDEKICK - 3 quick tones generated by speaker
         SP- program writes directly to printer instead of to print
             file.  Print file contains most of
             the binary executable code of SP program!

       Any help would be greatly appreciated.

                                                     Max Robin

  All replies will be forwarded to Max ASAP.  Thanks.

    Evan Bauman
    GKN3M2%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Jun 86 23:04:01 EDT
From: Stev Knowles <stev@seismo.CSS.GOV>
To: INFO-IBMPC@usc-isib.ARPA
Subject: Xebec Floppy/Hard Disk Controller Problems

It took several weeks to get a floppy/hard disk controller (a Xebec),
and it came without docs. So it took another 2 weeks to get docs.
They finally get the docs, and i find that there is no entry
in the drive table for a seagate 225 (halfheight, 20meg.), which is becoming
a very popular drive. They told me it would take about 1 to 1 1/2 weeks
to get a new rom burned with this entry in the rom table.

Questions:

are there a fair number of disks in this table?(when i buy the second hard
disk, will i be restricted in the ones i can buy?)

how hard are these controllers to find? i have heard that they are very good,
but i must say i am not too impressed so far.

is there a better place to be buying this? i am interested in some
software too (i am trying to get this locally(washington dc.))

thanx for your time.

stev
stev@SEISMO.CSS.GOV

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 86 02:26:59 PDT
From: maddox@renoir.berkeley.edu (William Maddox)
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: Tall Tree JRAM-AT and Xenix(tm) 1.0 Problem

I recently purchased a Tall Tree Systems JRAM-AT memory expansion for
my IBM AT.  According to the manual, when configured in its so-called
"mode 1", it functions "exactly like an ordinary IBM expansion board."
I carelessly assumed that this was true; How could anyone possibly screw
up something as straightforward as a memory board?  Well, they did.

When using this board, Xenix 1.0 nearly always panic halts with a parity
error during the boot sequence.  The IBM diagnostics show no problems.
I contacted Mr. Troy Stone at Tall Tree technical support who informed me
that they had seen this problem before, did not know what caused it, and
said to tape over one of the pins on the edge connector.  What he had in
fact advised me to do was to disable parity error detection entirely.  I
insisted that this was not an acceptable solution, and that I wanted a
real fix.  To his credit, he offered to refund my money on the board, provided
that I had purchased it directly from Tall Tree Systems.  Unfortunately,
I had purchased my JRAM-AT through a dealer as a special-order item.  He
agreed to send me a schematic when I inquired about technical details.

Despite a claim that TTS was looking into the cause of the problem, when I
called back a few weeks later, Mr. Stone offered only the same advice as
before, and I got the distinct impression that TTS was not particularly
interested in finding the cause of the problem, much less providing its
customers with a hardware or software patch.

I find this lack of support rather disappointing, as the JRAM-AT, if it
were compatible as claimed, has much to offer the Xenix user.  The
situation is typical, however, of problems that I, as a Xenix user, have
experienced when dealing with DOS-oriented companies, whose definition of
IBM-compatible often seems to be "runs Lotus 1-2-3 and Sidekick."

I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has successfully used
a Tall Tree Systems JRAM-AT with any version of Unix(R) on an IBM-AT, or
can shed some light on the cause of this problem.

Bill Maddox
ARPA: maddox@renoir.berkeley.edu
UUCP: ucbvax!renoir!maddox
BELL: 415-849-0462

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jun 86 04:50 GMT
From: ghicks @ KOREA-EMH
Subject: ASUKA Keyboard Problem
To: INFO-IBMPC @ USC-ISIB

I have an ASUKA 105 keyboard that has developed an annoying problem: to wit:
some of the keys act like they have "KEYBOUNCE".  That is, I type one
character, hold the key down long enough to get one character but get two
characters.  No, this is not the auto-repeat function, but a real keybounce.

    I understand that the keyboard is a thin film type of keyboarrd (see it
did the bounce there!!).  can it be repaired.  Is there some type of software
that can be run on the keyboard to stop this?  Is there some sort of hardware
change I can make to fix it?  What??  It really is annoying!

Gregory Hicks
GHICKS@KOREA-EMH
JUSMAG-JP@KOREA-EMH

------------------------------

To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA
Subject: SixPakPremium Card and DeskView Problem
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 86 16:06:42 -0500
From: Terry Woodhouse <tjw@mitre-bedford.ARPA>

Those of you who are getting the AST SixPakPremium card with the bundled
DESQview software might be interested in the following.

A friend of mine recently upgraded his portable with this combination, hoping
like the rest of us to increase his ability to run multiple programs.
Unfortunately, after he finished the automatic install procedure, the DESQview
memory status program reported only 48K expanded memory available instead of
the 560K or so that was there.  Checking the CONFIG.SYS file revealed that the
extended and expanded memory drivers were there as required.  A call to AST
yielded the advice to send the bad copy of DESQview back for exchange.

In fact, the copy of DESQview was not bad at all.  Some further
experimentation revealed that the REX.SYS driver for extended memory somehow
caused DESQview to treat all that extra memory as extended rather than
expanded memory, even though the driver parameters were set up for only 20K or
so of extended memory to handle the print spooler chores.  Apparently DESQview
couldn't recognize both the extended and expanded memory.  Removing the
REX.SYS driver from the config file fixed the problem.

Two points seem pertinent here: first, the documentation apparently didn't
include any hint of the impending problem (I haven't read it myself, but I
know my friend can read), and second, just because some software is bundled
with a hardware board, don't assume all the interactions between the two are
well understood by tech support.  CAVEAT UPGRADER!

If anyone else has any additional insights on this, such as how to get
DESQview to recognize both types of memory, your opinions will be cheerfully
received.

Terry Woodhouse
tjw@mitre-bedford

------------------------------

Date: Mon 16 Jun 86 08:19:10-PDT
From: Tony Brand <BRAND@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: IBM Portable Display Query
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

I've a hacked up IBM PC portable. It works well even though little of it
apart from the motherboard, CRT and power supply are the original IBM.

Anyway, the composite display is lousy and unreadable when certain colors
are shown. Is there anyone out there who has put a 9" color display into
a portable? How about a software fix to make the display more readable when
multiple colors are shown. There must be a solution other than using an
external RGB monitor, which is what I'm doing now.

Please reply to me personally... I'll post the solutions if there are any.

Tony Brand, Trenton State College   Voice  : (609)-771-3013
                                    Data   : (609)-771-2829 (bulletin board)
                                    ArpaNet: brand@sumex-aim.arpa

------------------------------

From: reintom@ROCKEFELLER (Tom Reingold)
Date: 16 Jun 1986 1139-EDT (Monday)
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib
Subject: Z158 Echo Patch in command.com Query

I use a Zenith PC, model 158.  It came with what they call Microsoft DOS
version 3.  When I type "ver" the output is:

IO.SYS Version 3.05
MS-DOS Version 3.10

I set out to do the patch to set echo to be off as a default in batch files
and found different values than expected based on how to do it for IBM's
PC-DOS.  Has anyone got the trick to do this for whatever version I have?
Better yet, does anyone have an *algorithm* for finding where the echo setting
is found in COMMAND.COM?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tom Reingold
Rockefeller University
reintom@rockefeller.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 16 Jun 1986 10:10:21 PDT
Subject: Project Planning Software Query
From: Jeff La Coss <JLACOSS@USC-ISIB.ARPA>
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA
cc: JLACOSS@USC-ISIB.ARPA

 I've seen ads for a gazillion different project scheduling software packages.
Prices seem to range from $25 to $1000.

 Anybody out there have any experience with such beasties? I'm primarily
interested in packages that cost less than $300.

        Jeff

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 86 14:20:07 edt
From: skip@mitre-bedford.ARPA (George S. Guild)
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA
Subject: 3-D Software Query
Cc: skip@mitre-bedford.ARPA

I am looking for a decent three dimensional graphics program which runs under
PC DOS (and/or WINDOWS) which is inexpensive and command or mouse driven like
Micrografx Windows DRAW or Microsoft PAINT.  It doesn't have to be elaborate
or expensive like AutoCAD or similar kilobuck programs but should support at
least the following:

1.  Plotter support (HP7470A).
2.  3-D data input with easy user interface.
3.  Screen display (desire EGA support but not required).
4.  Hidden line removal.
5.  Object translation/rotation.

I will summarize the response(s) I receive.  Thanks in advance.

------------------------------

Date: Monday, 16 Jun 1986 13:00:22-PDT
From: watson%akov04.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA
Subject: Determining Active Program Query

Is there any way for an interrupt level program to find out what program
is currently running?  I am trying to write a routine to change the
screen and border colors and keep them the way I set them.  The routine
needs to know if COMMAND.COM is running (and therefore it should make sure
that the colors are correct) or if an application program is running (in
which case the colors should remain as set by the application).  Anyone
know how to tell what program is active?  Thanks in advance.

Rick Watson

usenet - decwrl!akov04.dec.com!watson
arpa   - akov04.dec.com!watson@decwrl.arpa
uucp   - {decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!akov04.dec.com!watson
enet   - akov04::watson

------------------------------

From: reintom@ROCKEFELLER (Tom Reingold)
To: ghsvax!pelican!pete@csvax.caltech.edu
Date: 16 Jun 1986 1411-EDT (Monday)
Subject: Radio Shack-PC Computer/Computer Disk Read Query
Cc: info-ibmpc@usc-isib

Pete:

Have you had any experience reading Radio Shack disks onto an IBM PC?  I ask,
of course, because you say it is within the hardware's abilities.  If you can
tell me the name of the software and hardware I need to add, I would
appreciate it much.  Needless to say, a purely software solution is
preferable.

Also, do you know anything about how to transfer files between a Model II and
a PC?

Tom Reingold
reintom@rockefeller.arpa

[XenoCopy is a software solution for copying about a hundred different
disk formats to a PC format.  I believe the cost is in the $100-$150
range.  -rn]

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 17 Jun 86  08:51 EDT
From:  MKATZ%UMDD.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Power-On Memory Test Bypass Query
To:  INFO-IBMPC-REQUEST@USC-ISIB.ARPA

I have seen ads for a device (around $50 or $60 I think) which eliminates
the lengthy power up memory check in a PC.  Does anyone know who makes
it ?  I think there are a couple of different devices that do this, but
I can't seem to find the ads for any of them now that I want to buy one.
Please reply directly to me (if possible).
Thank you.

                                Manasseh Katz
                                MKATZ@UMDD.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jun 1986 06:35:37 PDT
Subject: Calling MS C from Assembler Query
From: Jerry Mungle <JMUNGLE@USC-ISIF.ARPA>
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA

  I've got a beginners question.  I'm calling a C routine from assembler,
and when I enter the C routine, the proggy dies with stack overflow.  Making
the stack larger is no help.  Reading the manual hasn't been much help (I
suppose I'm not asking the right questions of the manual).  I'll just keep
experimenting -- but if someone could provide a pointer, I would be most
grateful.  Please reply directly to me.  Thanks!

                                ....cheers

------------------------------

Date: Tue 17 Jun 1986 10:41:49 EDT
From: <SS@LL.ARPA>
Subject: C Beautifier Wanted
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib

     Does anyone have (or know where to get) a good public domain (or failing
that *any*) C source code reformatter ("Beautifier").  I am looking for some-
thing with source code available or at least enough power to be able to
specify the indenting style to use.  An option to reformat across lines is
also desired.

                                        Stuart Scharf

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jun 86 04:49 GMT
From: ghicks @ KOREA-EMH
Subject: Venix Operating System Query
To: INFO-IBMPC @ USC-ISIB

    My sponsor here is going to purchase the VENIX Operating System.

    Can anyone tell me anything about that system?  Is it useful to run on a
PC/XT?  AT?  What hardware is required?

Gregory Hicks
GHICKS@KOREA-EMH
JUSMAG-JP@KOREA-EMH

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 86 13:58:49 edt
From: malpass@ll-vlsi (Don Malpass)
To: INFO-HZ100@RADC-TOPS20, info-ibmpc@usc-isib
Subject: NEC V20 Software Query

        Any pointers to software which takes advantage of the features
of this critter?  I'm using one in my H/Z-100 but until recently
didn't know what more it could do for me than speed things up (which it
does!).  Of particular interest is a $50 CP/M emulator from GFI
Electronics in Olathe KS (referenced in Jan/Feb 86 Micro/Systems
Journal).  If anybody out there has it, or better yet a public domain
one:
        1.  Are there things it won't run?
        2.  Are there restrictions on the drive-letters allowed in
file specifications?  My RAMDISK is I:, hard disk partitions are
E: through H:, and 8" floppies are C: and D:.  Too many programs
prevent use of some of those designators.
        3.  Will it work with RAMDISK?  Although I have yet to try
RAMLIM with some recently acquired MDISK patches, the emulator I
now have does some unpleasant things at times.
        4.  Have you observed conflicts with "resident" programs
like Genie, Sidekick, etc?
        Finally, (and of least importance), what about assemblers,
compilers, or disassemblers that deal with the extended
instructions (at risk of increasing incompatibility with the rest of
the world)?  V-20 special interest or user's groups?
        don     [malpass@LL-sst]

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 17 Jun 1986 19:24:25-PDT
From: fulton%donner.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM  (Cathy Fulton -- CXO Technical Training)
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA, fulton%donner.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM
Subject: Programming the EGA Query

I need some good books on programming the IBM (and clone) Enhanced Graphics
Adaptor.  Suggestions, please?

Thanks in advance.

- Cathy

uucp: ...decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-comet!fulton
ARPA: fulton%comet.DEC@decwrl

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 18 Jun 86 07:25:58 edt
From: towen@nswc-wo.ARPA
To: info-ibmpc@isib
Subject: Zenith 248 with PC Networking Query

We are planning on purchasing a quantity of Zenith 248's with memory
expansion to 1.5 mbytes, EGA and color monitor, and 2 floppy disk system.
We are planning to use these systems on a Novell 2.0 PC Network utilizing
either the Ungerman Bass PC Connection (broadband and thinnet versions) or
3-Com Plus thinnet communications media.  Has anyone had any negative
experiences or lessons learned concerning this configuration?  The
networking aspect of the configuration is most important for the intended
application.  Please respond to me directly, and I will post the results
to the digest.  Thanks in advance for any insights.

Tom Owen (towen@nswc-wo)
Naval Surface Weapons Center
Dahlgren, Virginia 22448
(703) 663-7366

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 18 Jun 86  15:02:09 ADT
From:  wdw%ACADIA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Bill Wilder)
Subject:  Amdek 310A and TTL Monitors Query
To:  Info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa

We have several PC's at work equipped with AMDEK 310A TTL monochrome
monitors. When these monitors work they are quite pleasing to look at.
Unfortunately they do not seem to be very reliable. Anyone like to
offer opinions on TTL monochrome alternatives?

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 18 Jun 86  15:03:55 ADT
From:  wdw%ACADIA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Bill Wilder)
Subject:  Alternatives to IBM Diagnostics Kits Query
To:  info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa

We wish to maintain our own PC's and AT's and are considering buying
the IBM maintenance kits. These kits come with a typical IBM price and
I am wondering if they are worth the money or whether there might be
cheaper alternatives.

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 19 Jun 86 12:41 EST
To:  info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
From:  GKN3M2%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: EMS Board on PC's Ltd Clone Query

I'm thinking of adding an expanded memory board to my PC clone but I'm a
little concerned about compatibility.  So here's my request.  Is there anyone
who owns a PC's Ltd. Turbo PC who has installed an expanded memory board with
success.  PC's Ltd.'s tech support wasn't much help on this matter when they
responded by claiming that they knew of no board which presented any problems,
i.e., they haven't tested any but haven't received any complaints I'd also
like to here from people who have installed EMS boards in other clones as
well. The boards should be fairly popular, especially since generic ones can
be had for under $200.  Topics of special interest:

1.  How do MS Windows and Quarterdeck DesqView perform with EMS boards?
2.  Any preferences for EMS (Intel, generic boards) over EEMS (RamPage)
    boards?
3.  Is there really any difference between EMS and EEMS?
4.  Are these boards really worth the investment or should I look
    into a 80286 machine?

Respond directly and I'll summarize for the general audience.  I'm sure that
there are plenty of people like me who are stuck at 640K and are looking for
ways out.  Thanks in advance.

  Evan Bauman
  University of Notre Dame
  gkn3m2%irishmvs.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu