[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V5 #66

Info-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU (Info-IBMPC Digest) (07/02/86)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Tuesday, 1 July 1986      Volume 5 : Issue 66

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Topics:
			      GKS and C
			  XON/XOFF (2 Msgs.)
		       Spooler for Laserwriter
		       WordStar Paths (2 Msgs.)
			  132 Column Editors
			   New AT Keyboard
			      Trackball
			 IBM Portable Display
			   Disk Reorganizer
			  Voice Synthesizers
		       LPT1 to LPT2 Redirection
			   Hardcard (20MB)
		  MS WORD Printer Drivers  (2 Msgs.)
				Reboot
			  THE Mark Williams
       SUN Network File System (NFS) & AT Compatible Processor

Today's Queries:
			  SIRIUS 1 Diskette
			 AT -> PC Disk Xfers
			 Polynomial Factoring
			 Binary File Transfer
			   Wyse-530 Monitor
		Davong Fixed Disk and Dos 2.0 question
		      DOS Critical Error Vector
		  MSDOS Interface from Turbo Pascal
		   Interrupts Through TURBO Pascal
			  64K LIMIT on Turbo
		       PC and PC-Clone options.
		 Multiple CPUs & NEC Processor Chips

Date: Fri, 27 Jun 86 09:15:21 cdt
From: mlw@ncsc.ARPA (Williams)
Subject: GKS and C

About a GKS development product for use with Microsoft C...

The only GKS product that I know about is the GSS Graphics System, which
is sold as itself and is supposedly also an IBM development package.  I was
going to send the text of an ad from the July '86 PC Mag, but it was so
vainglorious that I couldn't stomach it and will just provide the reference.
See p. 27 of the above mag.

Multi-HALO is a good package, too (I have experience with it, none with
GSS), but redistribution rights for even embedded compiled code are ex-
tremely (read ridiculously, in my opinion) expensive.

Mark

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 27 Jun 86 17:14 N
From: <INNO%HWALHW5.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: XON/XOFF

Hi there,

Standard DOS doesn't know XON/XOFF.
When I try to send a big file via COM1 to COM2 (from
our VAX to a serial printer) a get write fault errors,
because data is too fast.
Rather than making the data go slower, I would prefer
making use of XON/XOFF, to get the full speed out of my printer.
All the emulators and other comm-packages I know off,
think that the whole world has parallel printers.
Does anybody know of some neat (I prefer PD or freeware of course)
piece of software that does the thing for me ?

                                                Inno Frencken
                                                Computing Centre
                                                Agricultural University
                                                Hollandseweg 1
                                                6706 KN  Wageningen
                                                The Netherlands
                                                phone: 08370-83875
                                                EARN-id: INNO
                                                EARN-node: HWALHW5

------------------------------

Date:  1 Jul 1986 00:22:00 PDT
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@B.ISI.EDU>
To: <INNO%HWALHW5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

Nearly all the spooling packages that come with the multi-function
cards support XON/XOFF for serial line printers. Try AST SUPERSPOOL
or tall Tree JSPOOL....

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 86 07:31:25 edt
From: Tim Kelley <ecsvax!ctk%mcnc.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: Spooler for Laserwriter

This is in response to farber@udel's question about using an Apple Laserwriter
at 9600 baud from the serial port of an ibmpc. A company called, TEXTSET,
makes a spooler for dumping postscript files to the laserwriter at 9600.
It's intended for use with one of the TEX implementations around. I use it
with the PC-TEX product and am very happy with how it worked out.
TEXTSET's address is

P.O Box 7993
416 Fourth St.
Ann Arbor MI 48107
(313) 996-3566

C.T. Kelley  decvax!mcnc!ecsvax!ctk
Dept. of Math.    N.C. State U. Box 8205
Raleigh, N.C. 27695-8205,  919-737-7895

------------------------------

Date: Fri 27 Jun 86 09:12:36-PDT
From: David John Buerger  <D.Buerger%SCU%PANDA@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: WordStar Paths
cc: D.Buerger%SCU%PANDA@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA

directories other than where the source code rests: try using the DOS 3.1
SUBST command.  Another commercial software program which does the same thing
is File Facility from IBM (I think it's about $20 or $30).  I suspect there
are some freeware/user-supported programs which do the same thing.

David J. Buerger

------------------------------

Date: Fri 27 Jun 86 14:29:18-PDT
From: Jackie <Burhans%ECLD@USC-ECLC.ARPA>

I couldn't get through to the user who asked about WordStar overlay
files, so would you please pass this information along to him?  Thanks
in advance.

FilePath works very well and lets you have only one set of WordStar
overlay files.  I don't know if it works on a network, but it seems
to me that it should.

There's also the public-domain program DPATH, which does the same
thing.

Good luck!

--vincent alfieri

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25-Jun-86 21:08:16 EDT
From: Manny Farber <manny%pcpond.pc.udel.edu@Louie.UDEL.EDU>
Subject: 132 Column Editors

     Epsilon will support any screen configuration (within
certain limits, I suppose) provided that the memory is
contiguous and in the same format as on the IBM CGA/MDA cards
(first 80/132/whatever columns, one word for each
character/attribute; next line, etc.).

     The Norton Editor seems to support any screen width greater
than or equal to 80 columns, but only 25 columns.  The Norton
Editor relies on the ROM-BIOS to tell it the column width, and
will (if the memory is contiguous, as is necessary for Epsilon)
use more than 80 columns.  I've only verified that it will write
properly into memory for a 90-column display, but I would expect
it to work for 132.

     Now I have a query:  Does anyone know of a full-screen
editor that (a) uses the ROM-BIOS (either directly or through an
ANSI console driver) for screen updating, and (b) will support
more than 25 lines?

------------------------------

Subject: New AT Keyboard
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 86 21:52:45 -0500
From: jcmorris@mitre.ARPA

I recently got a new AT with the new, (supposedly) improved keyboard.  My
justification for getting it, in fact, was to allow me to set up the YTERM
program (from Yale) to work with the new layout.  A few observations:

There is *NO* documentation available for the beastie.  IBM told our PC
support staff that the Tech Reference manual would not be updated to reflect
the new keyboard.  I wound up using various hacks to reverse-engineer the
thing to figure out what scan codes it is sending to the AT.  A call to
our local IBM "support" people produced, as expected, absolutely nothing
of any use.  Developers may be able to get documentation, but us poor
characters who have to buy the boxes for real $$ have to guess what's
being done to the equipment (and to us).

The only new functions on the AT keyboard are PF11 and PF12.  These keys
generate new scan codes (56 and 57 hex, I think...I'm writing this note from
home).  This leaves the two immediately lower scan codes (54 and 55)
undefined; I can't find any keystroke which will generate them.  Fine so
far...

Real joker no. 1 has to do with the way the functions previously sharing
the numeric key pad are implemented.  The key pad keys continue to work like
they used to, and their interpretation is dependent on the software's
maintenance of a latch driven by the scan code from the NumLock key.  BUT...
the special keys (cursor, Ins, Del, Home, End, PgUp, and PgDn) which have
their own keys now will generate one of two scan code SEQUENCES: either
the code for the numeric key pad key which they share, or the sequence
<left-shift-down><key pad-scan-code><left-shift-up>.  The keyboard determines
which sequence to send based on the KEYBOARD's count of the number of times
the NumLock key has been pressed.  Incidentally, the LED which normally
echos the NumLock state does not reflect the state of this latch.

That's bad enough, but joker no. 2 is that several keys have been merged
onto single key tops.  The one which burned YTERM was that SysReq is
now specified by holding down ALT and pressing what used to be PrtSc.  That
key without ALT sends the PrtSc scan code; with ALT held down it sends
the SysReq scan code.  There is no way that the user can cause the keyboard
to deliver ALT PrtSc to the AT.  (and yes, YTERM uses that code.  It was
easy to reassign the function to ALT Scroll lock, but irritating.)

I hope this note can save some other people in NetLand some of the pain,
grief, and anguish I went through trying to figure out what Big Blue
has done to me.  Any additions or corrections will be greatly appreciated.

Joe Morris (jcmorris@mitre)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 86 11:06:18 cdt
From: mlw@ncsc.ARPA (Williams)
Subject: Trackball

Tony:

I have a keyboard called a "WICO Smartline Smartboard" that I use with my
IBM PC/XT.  One of its best features (in my opinion, of course) is its
trackball.  However, it isn't really the same as a full-fledged mouse,
because it just generates cursor control characters that are sent to the
keyboard port.  Mice generally use some other port, and the software that
uses them handles mouse cursor control differently from keyboard cursor
control.  That means that programs like MS WORD and others that use a
pointer for positioning from the mouse have to be used in keyboard, rather
than mouse, mode.  Finally, since the keyboard is still a keyboard, the
selection buttons one finds on a mouse are unavailable.  Despite all those
"you can't"s, I still like the keyboard a lot.

BUT you can't (there's another one!) use it with an AT...it's strictly a
PC or XT replacement.  Since there may be a different computer in my fu-
ture, I've been looking at other stuff.  So maybe this will address your
real question...

Honeywell (!) markets a device called the microLYNX Trackball, which has
three keys & a trackball in a hand-holdable unit.  It piggybacks with the
keyboard, but is claimed to come with "a software driver for text or
graphics mode to emulate either keystrokes or mouse commands" [from an
ad in PC Mag, Vol. 5, No. 12, June 24, '86, p. 83].  I have seen one
review of the Version 1 unit, which was mixed.  I haven't seen anything
"objective" about the Version 2.  I have been so pleased with the trackball
design and have so much clutter that a mouse seems impractical (I have used
Xerox STARs with their mice, so I'm not unfamiliar with them).

Lots of words...hope they help.......................Mark

------------------------------

Date: Mon 30 Jun 86 10:52:10-PDT
From: Tony Brand <BRAND@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: IBM Portable Display

     A couple of digests ago I asked about how I could improve
the display on my IBM portable.....

     Two replies came back suggesting that I use FANSI-CONSOLE, a
shareware ANSI.SYS replacement. I tried this. It did solve all my
problems by converting all colors to one to make the display
readable.

     However the July 1986 PC Tech Journal has an excellent
article on modifications to the CGA. One mod improves the
composite output (used in the portable) by converting colors to
grey scales. Works well!

     So I'm relatively happy.... I'd still like an internal color
monitor though.

Thanks to those who responded previously.

Tony Brand, Trenton State College

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 86 21:42:14 PDT
From: pnet01!rgale@nosc.ARPA (Ryan Gale)
Subject: Disk Reorganizer

MACE+ , from Paul Mace Software (206 Alicia Ave., Ashland, OR 97520
503/488-0224) also moves files around to make the filespace contiguous.
I have both MACE+ and SoftLogic's Disk Optimizer, and prefer MACE+.  It
seems to run faster, although this could be simply because it displays
a visual representation of the disk being reorganized, rather than just
a dead screen.  What sold me were the rest of the utilities.

Disk Optimizer comes with a program, Analyze, that tells you the percentage
of fragmentation of the disk, thus indicating whether reorganization is
needed.  This is nice, but MACE+ will also sort your directories/files,
reclaim lost directory space due to deleted files, set .COM, .EXE, and .SYS
files to read-only (which it subsequently ignores during optimization, on
the premise that they haven't been re-written) -- good touches, and all
optional.  It can detect flaky sectors, moving their data elsewhere and
then locking them out.  It also places a protected file at the end of the
disk space which contains the information it needs to restore your hard
disk from a major error -- say, accidental re-formatting.  Not bad at all
for $69.95 (quantity discounts available).

My only connection with either Paul Mace Software or SoftLogic Solutions
is as a satisfied customer, but SoftLogic lost my vote the first time I
ran MACE+.

Both programs put all of the free space at the end of the disk, but you
can easily fool them by putting a few massive files in an appropriate
sub-directory, and then deleting them after reorganizing.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jun 1986 23:14:27 PDT
Subject: Voice Synthesizers
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@B.ISI.EDU>
To: Joe.Newcomer@SEI.CMU.EDU

The cheapest voice synthesizer is from Street Electronics. It uses the
Texas Instruments "Speak & Spell" chip (TMS5220). The Apple version of
the card sells for around $100 there is an IBM-PC version that probably
sells for nearly twice that. Also they have variations that use serial ports
and cost a bit more. It sounds pretty mechanical, and you can always
make it sound like the cylons by setting the pitch to a constant value.

I don't have the number off the top of my head but Street Electronics
is located in Carpenteria California (805) area code.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 86 08:36:20 cdt
From: mlw@ncsc.ARPA (Williams)
Subject: LPT1 to LPT2 Redirection

It seems that MODE won't work for attaching PRN to LPT2...There are
several PD programs on bulletin boards that will accomplish that.  I
suspect one could be found at SIMTEL20 in the PC-Blue archives.  If
not, interested parties can write me directly and I'll try to download
from a BBS and redistribute the package (the one I have access to is
not source, so I can't give it to our archives).

Mark
(mlw@ncsc.arpa)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 86 08:17:15 EDT
From: John Nolan <nolan@mimsy.umd.edu>
Subject: Hardcard (20MB)

Plus Development has just announced their 20 MB disk on a card. This card
(like the 10 MB card) also fits in one slot in your PC or XT. The card
is now available and should be priced at under $750. Meanwhile the 10 MB
version has dropped to under $500. I don't have any specifications on the
20 MB version. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who gets one.

I have no connection with Plus Development. Usual caveats.

john nolan@maryland

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 86 11:55:18 edt
From: Mark D. Freeman <mdf@ohio-state.ARPA>
To: ncsc:mdf@arpa
Subject:  MS WORD Printer Drivers

The basic problem that I am having is in trying to get the NEC P5
driver to underline rationally, and to microspace without going into
graphics mode.

I know HOW to convert to and from .PRD format (3.0 uses a different
program, called MAKEPRD, but it seems functionally identical to
CONVPRD).  The fine art of WHAT codes to put in it eludes me.

When I try to get it to underline with underlines, instead of graphic
dots, it often doesn't line up with the words in proportional spacing
modes.

Thanks for your interest.  If you come across any detailed info, I'd
appreciate it.  The documentation is, ah, terse.  My 3.0 manual was
digested rather thoroughly by a visiting canine, and the only
documentation I have on PRD files is my 1.10 manual.  I tossed my 2.0
manual a while ago, and found my 1.10 manual on the bottom of a pile
of vintage antique manuals (DataStar anyone?).

Mark

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 86 08:05:11 cdt
From: mlw@ncsc.ARPA (Williams)
To: mdf@ohio-state.arpa

Mark:

I don't have WORD 3.0 yet, but my copy of version 2.0 has extensive infor-
mation on how to work on the .PRD files in a file called CONVPRD.DOC on the
utilities disk.  The material is so extensive that I can't reproduce it all
here, but basically you customize a .PRD file by converting an existing
generic or "close approximation" .PRD from its binary form to a WORD document
using the CONVPRD program.  Then you put appropriate values into the document,
save it, and use CONVPRD to convert the text to binary.  If you can't find
the technical information in your release, I can get you a copy somehow;
I just don't know whether any changes to the .PRD structure came along with
the new release.

Good luck................................Mark L. Williams

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 86 08:55:31 cdt
From: mlw@ncsc.ARPA (Williams)
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA
Subject: Reboot

Jim:

Jim Moore and I have both looked at INT 19h on XTs with DOS 3.1 and neither
of us has had any trouble with the system not looking at drive c:.  However,
neither of us has gotten the thing to work right, either.  Usually our mach-
ines lock up after the reboot and have to be off/on-ed.  Apparently the
interrupt routine leaves out a few desirable features (or else those are
"the programmer's responsibility").  Anyway, it looks like the jump to
the boot code may be one of the more reliable ways to accomplish a system
reset.  Here's some stuff from COMPUTE!'s Mapping the IBM PC and PC Jr...

"When a boot is performed by switching on the computer...or
Ctrl-Alt-Del..., an instruction at location FFFF0h (by 8088
convention) is executed that causes the Power On Self Test (POST)
routines to begin component tests.  If bytes 472-473h are found to
contain 3412h, a reset via Ctrl-Alt-Del has been re- quested.  If so,
the POST actions are skipped and memory will not be tested.  Memory
will simply be cleared to all zeros."

I don't know if all that holds for the AT, but maybe a similar approach
would work best.

Good luck...............................Mark

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 86 08:16:25 cdt
From: mlw@ncsc.ARPA (Williams)
Subject: THE Mark Williams
Cc: moore@ncsc.ARPA

To whom it may amuse:

You may have noticed some messages from Mark Williams in these digests.
To my knowledge, those have come from me, Mark Leete Williams, a Computer
Scientist at the Naval Coastal Systems Center in Panama City, FL.  It came
as a great surprise to me when I started selling PC products several years
ago.  It also left me wondering what the legal aspects of making my own
Mark Williams Company would be.  Anyway, although I am perfectly aware
that none of my messages come from THE Mark Williams (that hurts --
I always thought I was THE one), it occurred to me that some correspondents
out there might wonder.  SO -- if the OTHER Mark Williams is out there
somewhere -- please let folks know when YOU speak.  Otherwise, I hereby
set the local default Mark Williams to me.

...we thank you for your support [Bartles & James]

Mark

------------------------------

Date:  1 Jul 1986 12:21:27 PDT
Subject: SUN Network File System (NFS) & AT Compatible Processor
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@B.ISI.EDU>

The following is an edited version of the SUN press release:

TWO NEW PRODUCTS OFFER PC COMPATIBILITY ON SUN NETWORKS

MOUNTAIN VIEW, CA -- June 24, 1986 -- Sun Microsystems today announced
the introduction of two new products that bridge the gap between IBM
Personal Computers and software and Sun's workstations and networks.
The Sun Integrated Personal Computer (SunIPC) is a high-performance
10-Mhz 80286 coprocessor board for Sun workstations that provides
compatibility with the IBM PC/AT, allowing Sun workstations to run
MS-DOS applications in a window under UNIX.  The second product,
PC-NFS, is software for IBM PCs and compatible that allows them to
transparently access files and network peripherals via the Sun Network
File System (NFS) on an Ethernet network.

The SunIPC and PC-NFS are the first two products from Sun's East Coast
Division in Lexington, Massachusetts.

SunIPC Offers Bridge To MS-DOS

The SunIPC board contains a 10-Mhz Intel 80286 microprocessor and one
megabyte of memory to provide PC/AT compatibility with on a Sun
workstation.  The SunIPC supports the Lotus/Intel/Microsoft expanded
memory specification, so PC applications running on a Sun workstation
can access up to four megabytes of memory.

The SunIPC is a VMEbus board that executes color or monochrome
applications written for MS-DOS applications requiring either the IBM
AT color graphics adapter, or the Hercules monochrome adapter.  It also
features one parallel port and allows the use of two workstation ports
as standard PC serial ports.  An optional 8-MHz Intel 80287 math
coprocessor is available, as are external 1.2-megabyte and 360-kilobyte
floppy disk drives for MS-DOS software access and transport.

SunIPC includes MS-DOS 3.1, Microsoft's GWBASIC, transparent
filesharing software for the NFS, and utilities to convert ASCII files
between MS-DOS and the Sun operating system.  The software also
features transparent conversion of MS-DOS program output for Epson
FX-80 for FX-100 printers to network shared or dedicated Sun
LaserWriter printers.  The software also emulates the Microsoft PC
mouse interface for use with the standard Sun workstation mouse.

Shared Network Access to SunIPC

Although the SunIPC resides in one Sun Workstation   , other
workstations on a network can access it to run MS-DOS applications.  In
this way, Sun workstation users who occasionally use PC-DOS
applications can have low-cost access in the same desktop package.  The
SunIPC board is $1995 in single quantities, and the accompanying
software is $395 for the single-user version.  The multi-access version
is $995.  When one SunIPC board is shared by remote workstations, the
per-user cost of the system quickly drops.  If the SunIPC board and
software are shared by three users, for example, the per-user cost is
under $1000.  The SunIPC products will be available to customers in the
third quarter of 1986.

PC-NFS Links PCs With Sun Network

Sun's PC-NFS is a client version of NFS that runs on IBM PCs and
compatible systems.  PC-NFS gives PC users transparent file access
among PCs, Sun workstations, and other computers using NFS.  Using a
PC or compatible, with as little as 512K of RAM and one
floppy disk drive, a user can enter standard DOS commands to access
files from any other computer on the network.  The PC-NFS software
converts local MS-DOS filenames to network-compatible NFS
path names.

In addition to transparent file sharing, PC-NFS offers printer
spooling to Sun LaserWriters on the network.  Multiple PCs running
different applications can share high-quality printers. PCNFS also
provides VT-100 terminal emulation for direct access via remote login
to minicomputers and mainframes linked to the network.  This gives
the PC user access to multiple UNIX systems and applications.

Flexible Pricing for Network-wide Standardization

Because PC-NFS is a network product intended for multiple-user
environments, it is offered under a flexible pricing program to
facilitate volume end-user and OEM standardization.  Customers can buy
the full PC-NFS product with a half-card Ethernet interface and
documentation or in various unbundled configurations to best suit their
needs.  For large installations, for example, where dozens of PCs will
be added to a network, customers can buy a few versions of PC-NFS with
manuals and then buy the software-only version for the rest of the
users.

PC-NFS prices vary for different unit volumes of purchase and product
configuration.  In quantities of 100, the PC-NFS software with
documentation sells for $305 per unit.  For the software alone, the
quantity 100 price drops to $255 per unit.  When bundled with an
Ethernet interface and documentation, the quantity 100 price for PC-NFS
is $955 per unit.  Availability for PC-NFS is 30 days from receipt of
order.

As an alternative to volume discount pricing, Sun is offering company
licenses allowing volume duplication of the PC-NFS software.  Sun
currently has active PC-NFS distribution discussions underway with
third-party vendors, so the software will soon be available from a
variety of sources.

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  1 Jul 86 09:38:30 +0200 (Central European Summertime)
From:  XBR1D36K%DDATHD21.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA  (Gunther Hartmann, FG
  Maschinenel. & Getriebe THD, F  B 16)
Subject: SIRIUS 1 Diskette

We are looking for a utility or program, which enables us to read
a SIRIUS/VICTOR 1-Diskette (620 kByte, SS,DD) on an IBM/PC-AT.
Does anybody know of such a beast?

Gunther Hartmann
Technical University Darmstadt
West-Germany

Bitnet:    D86V@DDATHD21.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 01 Jul 86 15:34:18 SET
To:  INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
From:  ESC1111%DDAESA10.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
Subject: AT -> PC Disk Xfers

Anybody got any experience of CPYAT2PC or similar products which
claim to write PC readable disks on an AT high capacity drive!
Anybody know how they do it???

As I'm in the unfortunate position of needing to move data from AT
to PC and don't want to spend the money for a 360K drive on the AT
(unless I have to) all info will be gratefully received...
Nigel
snail        : N. Head,
               European Space Operations Centre
               RobertBoschstr. 5
               6100 Darmstadt
               Federal Rep. Germany

bitnet/earn  : ESC1111  at DDAESA10
BIX          : nhead

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 86 10:48:58 cdt
From: mlw@ncsc.ARPA (Williams)
Subject: Polynomial Factoring

Does anyone out there have any good math tools for the PC or know of any
development libraries that provide relatively high-level math facilities?
I'd especially like to hear from anybody with hands-on experience.  Thanks.
Mark

------------------------------

Date:  Thu, 26-JUN-1986 20:54 EDT
From:    Barry D. Browning  <BROWNINGBD%VTVAX5.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject:  Binary File Transfer

Currently I am having problems downloading binary files sent via VMSDUMP
from the VAX 11/780 running VMS 4.3 to an IBM PC.  I have tried both
KERMIT and PCTRANS (from Y-Term).

I've been told that it is impossible for straight binary file transfers
without modifying the code (like BOOing them under Kermit).  However, I have
successfully transferred binary files under CMS.

Thanks in advance,

Walter Wong
  c/o Barry D. Browning

[Sounds like you have some parameter set wrong. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 27 Jun 86 13:51:15-PDT
From: Richard Pattis <PATTIS@WASHINGTON.ARPA>
Subject: Wyse-530 Monitor

  A recent issue of InfoWorld announced the new Wyse PC/AT and 3 large screen
monitors (monochrome, EGA, ?).  I would like to get more information on
the monochrome monitor, but the Wyse 800 number is not being answered and
no local companies (Business Land is mentioned in the article) have heard
of this announcement.  I'd appreciate any help from the digest readers.
I would also welcome specific comparisons with the Genius VHR.

Rich Pattis

------------------------------

Date: 27 Jun 1986 21:50-EDT
From: Jill.Crisman@ius1.cs.cmu.edu
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: Davong Fixed Disk and Dos 2.0 question

I recently got a 5M Davong Hard Disk for my IBM PC.  It is currently
operational under DOS 1.1 using the instructions that came with the disk.
However, I would like to format the disk for use with DOS 2.0.  The
FDISK and FORMAT commands of DOS 2.0 do not recognize the presence of
the hard disk in the system.  Is the software available to format these
disks for DOS 2.0?

[The old Davong disks are notorious for "originality" of interface hardware.
Tall Tree used to support Davong back in the DOS 1.1 days and probably
made a DOS 2.0 driver as well, however I doubt they are still
in the business of writing disk drivers. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 28 Jun 86 15:19:33-MDT
From: Ron Fowler <RFOWLER@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: DOS Critical Error Vector

I'm currently modifying a communications program to be more well-
behaved in multi-tasking and protected-memory environments, and have
encountered a problem on which I hope someone can shed some light.

1) The situation: the program must pick up several interrupt vectors,
such as the serial-port hardware interrupt and the BIOS screen and
keyboard interrupts (for remote I/O diversion).  It does this legiti-
mately during cold-start initialization using DOS 35H/25H; when a
"normal" program termination occurs, the old vectors are restored,
using DOS 25H.  So far, so good ...

2) More background:  a third vector the program picks up is the
critical error vector (24H).  When a critical error occurs, the
program "calls upward" the old (DOS) critical error processor,
letting DOS prompt the operator for "Abort, Retry, Ignore", then
examines the code returned to see if the operator requested abort.
If not, the program just "falls back", ignoring the critical error.
If the abort is requested, the program must restore the vectors
it holds.

3) The problem: the abort vector restore is currently done by
directly accessing the low-memory vectors; I think this can be
considered "ill-behaved", and it would be expedient to use DOS
25H to restore the vectors.

4) The question: considering that when this program's replacement
error routine gets control, we are very likely "in" a DOS function
call AND that in many cases, DOS is not at all re-entrant, then is
it safe anyway to call DOS 25H to restore the vectors?  Did Micro-
soft allow for a re-entrant put-vector?  (I guess if the  answer is
no, then there is no way to be well-behaved in this circumstance).

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this!

					--Ron Fowler
[Microsoft are you listening? -wab]

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jun 86 16:27:49 EDT (Thursday)
Subject: MSDOS Interface from Turbo Pascal
From: Bill <Crocca.wbst@Xerox.COM>

Hi,

I'm writing a program using Turbo Pascal on my PC/XT clone. There are
two functions which I need to perform and I'm not sure how to do them.
I'd appreciate some explanation and/or code fragments from anyone who
can help.

1.	I need to be able to give a diskette which already has data on it
	a volume name. There are two conditions I need to be able to do this:
	first, assume the diskette has no volume name; second assume it does
	have a volume name and I have to change it.

2.	I need to be able to set the time and date stamp on a file. This
	arises when a file is copied and I need the stamps to reflect the
	condition of the original and not when the copy was created.

Thanks in advance,
~ Bill

------------------------------

Subject: Interrupts Through TURBO Pascal
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 86 09:42:55 -0500
From: Mark H. Granoff <mhg@mitre-bedford.ARPA>

I am writing a memory resident program in TURBO Pascal.  The memory
residency is not a problem.  What I need to do is send information
(i.e. characters) to the machine as if the user had typed them (i.e. I
want my program that is resident in memory to send characters to the
processor; I want the processor to think the user has just typed
them).  Is it possible?  I would assume it is since most resident code
intercepts all typed characters (looking for an attention character)
and sends what it isn't interested in to be processed.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.  Reply to directly to me
and I will post a summary if there are enough worth while responses
and interest.  Thanks in advance.

Mark H. Granoff (mhg@mitre-bedford)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 1 Jul 86  12:08 EDT
From: Deba Patnaik  <DEBA%UMDC.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject:  64K LIMIT on Turbo

     Is there anyway to increase the 64K limit in Turbo Pascal ?

deba

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  1 Jul 86  13:34:37 EDT
From:  SAROFF%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA  (MATTHEW G. SAROFF)
Subject:  PC and PC-Clone options.

Hi,
    Some time in the near future (the next few months), I will be buying
an IBM PC or an IBM PC clone.  I have been subscribing to this digest for
some hints on my selection.  I have not got many, and I am leaning toward
a Corona (Soon to be called Cordata I am told).

It would be very nice if you could please put this out on the digest
so that I can see reader responses and opinions about the various
machines.

                        Matthew Saroff

ps. I have a question: Considering the extremely rapid development of personal
computer technology and software, does it make any sense to rent or
lease a PC instead of buying?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 30 Jun 1986 20:06:24 +0300
From: Ram Kolins  <VSRAM%WEIZMANN.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: Multiple CPUs & NEC Processor Chips

* DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY INFO ABOUT THE NEC V40 - V50 - V60 - V70
  CHIPS ? ( I SAW SOME INFO IN THE MAY ISSUE OF BYTE ABOUT
  THE NEC V60,70 BUT WHAT ABOUT THE V40,50 ?
  (I NEED THE INFO FOR A CERTAIN HIGH SPEED MICRO PROJECT .)
* ANYONE TRIED THE DEFINCON 32032 BOARD OR THE NEW DEFINCON
  68020 BOARD ? ANY BENCHMARKS ?
* I HAVE HEARD SOMETHING ABOUT A 'SUPER' FORTH MACHINE THAT SELLS
  FOR BELOW $1000 . MORE INFO ?
* ANYONE HEARD OF A BOARD CONSISTS OF SEVERAL CPU'S ( 8088 OR 8086
  OR ANYTHING ELSE ) EACH WITH IT'S OWN RAM (16-64K) AND ROM (32-128K)
  THAT CAN COMMUNICATE WITH A HOST MICRO ?

                     THANKS VERY MUCH

                       RAM KOLINS
                       WEIZMANN INST.

                   VSRAM@WEIZMANN.BITNET
  P.S  I HAVE ACCESS TO TYMNET AND ALL THE OTHER NETWORKS. ANY MORE INFO
       OVER THERE ?

End of Info-IBMPC Digest

-------