[net.sf-lovers] Theologic

Miller.pasa@Xerox.ARPA (09/10/85)

From: Miller.pasa@Xerox.ARPA

Speaking as a one-time Seminary student and current "intellectual" (Hey,
I'm going to grad school, ain't I?) the whole issue of logic as applied
to religion is fascinating.  The history of religion is paralleled by a
history of religious thinkers and writers who attempt to rationalize
their faith.  Plato is a good example.  In the Christian tradition, Paul
was probably the first real intellectual defender of the faith, the
middle ages produced a whole school of philosophy based on this question
(which pretty much peaked in Thomas Aquinas) Calvin and Luther were hot
on logical defense, and the tradition flourishes today with Kierkagaard
(sp?) and Francis Schaeffer.

All these writers tend to be attempting to find and defend LOGICAL
reasons for believing what they believe.  In general, they succeed, IF
you grant them their presuppositions.  Okay, fine, but that just moves
the argument back a step-- what you need is a reason for accepting the
presuppositions.  The whole field of apologetics is devoted to providing
those reasons to skeptics-- in a rational fashion.  Do they work?  (i.e.
do they get converts?)  Well, yes and no.  Every apologist I've talked
with has told me something that I already know-- that religion is based
on faith.  Those who believe can use the arguments provided by the
apologists to bolster their faith; to those who disbelieve, the
arguments are simply not conclusive enough to chage their minds.  It
seems that the arguments make the difference in cases where people want
to believe, but want to see that the religion can work rationally.

Now, what about a "sentient, rational" computer?  First, there is a LONG
tradition of formal argument using the Talmud as a base.  This forms a
kind of logic and I imagine that it would be a relatively simple task to
get a computer to reason in accordance with it.  This is, of course, not
the same as believing it.  It seems basically that the question is an
old one:  would a COMPLETELY impartial, objective person be convinced by
the arguments for Juda- (or whatever) -ism?  The arguments are there,
and they are good, but are they good enough?
Who knows?

Two other points:
First-- I'm not sure that such a computer could be COMPLETELY impartial
and objective.  After all, it has been programmed by and is working in
close contact with a ship full of Jews-- is its situation any different
from that in which any sentient, rational (albeit, human) person would
find himself or herself in?

Second, even assuming a machine (or a person) with complete objectivity,
why would a decision, a leap of faith, if you will, be made at all?
Essentially, we're dealing with a situation in which there is
insufficient data.  If I accept that I have an immortal soul (one of
those presuppositions) then I have a pressing need to make a decision
(or so the doctrine of heaven and hell tells me,) but would a computer
have the same problem?  Does a sentient, rational computer have a soul?
What is a soul?  What is sentience?  OVERLOAD!!  OVERLOAD!!!  etc.

My guess is we'd have a lot of agnostic computers, but what do I know.
Interesting question!!

By the way, I seem to remember a story running around out there about a
priest in a post-holocaust world who is sent (on a mechanical mule) to
investigate rumours of a saintly (and potentially saintable) old father
who has died but whose body has not decayed.   SPOILER WARNNG--  He
finds the body only to discover that the old priest was in fact the
greatest robot ever created.  A sentient survivor of the holocaust.  His
mechanical beast (which has been tormenting him throughout the trip)
attempts to get him to hush the fact up because 'the people need a
miracle' but the priest says no, we must tell them, because the fact
that the most powerful thinking machine ever created believed in God is
a strong argument for faith.

Great story.  Anybody remember it's title?

Ahh, just what I love, a rousing theological debate before lunch.

-Chris
Miller.pasa@Xerox.ARPA

arlan@inuxm.UUCP (A Andrews) (09/14/85)

> [...]
>
> By the way, I seem to remember a story running around out there about a
> priest in a post-holocaust world who is sent (on a mechanical mule) to
> investigate rumours of a saintly (and potentially saintable) old father
> who has died but whose body has not decayed.   SPOILER WARNNG--  He
> finds the body only to discover that the old priest was in fact the
> greatest robot ever created.  A sentient survivor of the holocaust.  His
> mechanical beast (which has been tormenting him throughout the trip)
> attempts to get him to hush the fact up because 'the people need a
> miracle' but the priest says no, we must tell them, because the fact
> that the most powerful thinking machine ever created believed in God is
> a strong argument for faith.
>
> Great story.  Anybody remember it's title?
>

> Ahh, just what I love, a rousing theological debate before lunch.

The story is question, I believe, is something like "Ex Machina", in
NEW TALES OF SPACE AND TIME by Boucher & McComas, and I must have read it
in 1953 or so.  A great tale, from one of the best SF short collections
ever put together--and a candidate for 'best SF book for beginners'.

--arlan andrews
Analog irregular

jimb@ISM780B.UUCP (09/14/85)

>From: Miller.pasa@Xerox.ARPA

>By the way, I seem to remember a story running around out there about a
>priest in a post-holocaust world who is sent (on a mechanical mule) to
>investigate rumours of a saintly (and potentially saintable) old father
>who has died but whose body has not decayed.   SPOILER WARNNG--  He
>finds the body only to discover that the old priest was in fact the
>greatest robot ever created.  A sentient survivor of the holocaust.  His
>mechanical beast (which has been tormenting him throughout the trip)
>attempts to get him to hush the fact up because 'the people need a
>miracle' but the priest says no, we must tell them, because the fact
>that the most powerful thinking machine ever created believed in God is
>a strong argument for faith.

>Great story.  Anybody remember it's title?

The story is THE QUEST OF SAINT ALQUIN, by Anthony Boucher.
One place to find it is in the anthology THE SCIENCE FICTION HALL OF FAME,
first volume, edited by Robert Silverberg.  (The first volume is not labeled
as such; subsequent volumes were labeled IIA, IIB, and III.  IIB or not
IIB...  Hmmm.)

This is a fairly decent story.  In my opinion, it's overall effect isn't as
powerful as Arthur Clarke's THE STAR, but it's definitely richer.

      -- from the bewildered musings of Jim Brunet

		  decvax!cca!ima!jimb

		  ucbvax!ucla-cs!ism780!jimb

		  ihnp4!vortex!ism780!jimb