[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V5 #81

Info-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU (Info-IBMPC Digest) (09/04/86)

Info-IBMPC Digest      Wednesday, September 3, 1986       Volume 5 : Issue 81

This Week's Editor:  Phyllis O'Neil

Today's Topics:

           More on Async Interrupt Routines (Two messages)
                     Higher Density drives for PC
                            PC LIMITED AT
                              NEC vs HP
                          CALCULATORNTIFIC A
                     Re: DOS Device Driver Query
                             FCOMP.C Use
                      Crossword Puzzle Programs
                           Drive Type Chart
                     Higher Density drives for PC
Today's Queries:

                        DISPLAYWRITE FILE INFO
                    Epson Equity 1 and WordPerfect
                      PC version of Mille Bornes
                     Computer Intensive Campuses
                     Leading Edge Monitor Adapter
                             PLink86 Plus

Date: Wed, 27 Aug 86 10:22:16 EST
From: "Andrew J Thomas" <ajt@purdue.edu>
To: INFO-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU
Subject: More on Async Interrupt RoutinesXo

 >Date: Sat 23 Aug 86 17:40:42-PDT
 >From: Liquid Len <Asbed@USC-ECLB.ARPA>
 >Subject: More on Asynch Adapter Problem

I have tried using both of the memory locations $0000:$0030 and
$0000:$002C to catapult to a user-defined interrupt service routine on
reception of a character from the port. Both these did not work.
(Effect: legitimate data was being received by the asynch port but the
service subroutine was not being run). As checks, I used the same
subroutine residing in the same place in mem to run under a software
interrupt. This worked perfectly. Another check was to use the
identical configuration with a program that used a scan loop to verify
the reception of a byte at the asynch port. This method was entirely
success- ful.

I just finished writing interrupt driven async routines for an
operating system project (Xinu).  Here is a brief summary of how to
get async interrupts working.

					Hardware	Location of
	Device		Interrupt	Interrupt line	interrupt vector
	------		----------	--------------	--------------------
  	COM1		0Ch		IRQ4		0000:0030
    	COM2		0Bh		IRQ3		0000:002C

There are several things that must be done for async interrupts to work.

1.   You should get the current interrupt vector for the com port(s) and
    save it.  Then replace the current vector with the vector (address)
    of your routine.  If a software interrupt works then the vectors were
    changed properly.

2.   The interrupts must be enabled in the 8250.  There are 4 types of
   interrupts that can be enabled or disabled for the 8250: receiver
   line status (error), received data available, transmitter holding
   register empty, and modem status (change).  The interrupts are enabled
   by setting the appropriate bits in the interrupt enable register
   (base address+2) of the 8250 to 1.  To start with, all that
   is needed is to enable the received data interrupt.  Enable the trans.
   holding register empty interrupt when you send data and disable it
   when you have nothing else at the monent to send.  Later add the
   receiver line status and modem status routines and enable those intr.

3.   The interrupt line must be enabled in the 8259 interrupt controller.
   The 8 hardware interrupt lines (IRQ0-IRQ7) go into the interrupt
   controller.  The controller has an 8-bit interrupt mask to enable
   or disable each interrupt.  Setting the appropriate bit to 1 disables
   that interrupt, clearing the bit enables that interrupt.  On the PC,
   the interrupt mask is at I/O address 21H.

4.   The 8250 interrupt must be enabled on the asynchronous communications
   adapter.  This is the the step that took me a bit to figure out.  On
   the IBM async card, the 8250 interrupt output is gated to the IRQx line.
   Two other 8250 outputs, OUT1 and OUT2, enable the gate.  To enable the
   interrupt line, you have to set OUT1 and OUT2 to 1.  This is not a
   requirement of the 8250, but of the IBM async card.  I don't know if
   this applies for other async cards.  Check the schematics if you have
   them available.  There is also a hardware jumper that should have be
   set when the async card is installed in the machine.

   So how can you do you acompilsh all of this?  Here is a short, simplified
example written in C.

#define COM1_ADDR	0x3f8		address of COM1:
#define	COM1_INT	0x0c		interrupt number of COM1
#define	COM_IER		2		offset of Interrupt Enable Register
#define COM_MCR		4		offset of Modem Control Register
#define	COM_OMSK	0x0c		mask to set OUT1 and OUT2 bits in 8250
#define	IRQ4_MASK	0xef		mask to enable IRQ4 in 8259

struct	vector	{
	int	ip;		/* hold old interrupt vector ip	*/
	int	cs;		/* hold old interrupt vector CS	*/
	} save_vector ;

	int	intr_routine();		routine to be called when intr. occurs

		/* set the base address of the com port */
	ioaddr = COM1_ADDR;
		/* set the interrupt number */
	intvec = COM1_INT;

		/* get and save current interrupt vector */
	getvec ( intvec, &save_vector );
		/* install new interrupt vector */
	setvec ( intvec, intr_routine );

		/* enable all interrupts in 8250 */
	outbyte (ioaddr+COM_IER, 0x0f);

		/* get current mask from interrupt controller */
	tmp = inbyte (0x21);
		/* clear (enable) IRQ4 */
	tmp = tmp & IRQ4_MASK;
		/* write new mask to interrupt controller */
	outbyte (0x21, tmp);

		/* get current modem control register from 8250 */
	tmp = inbyte (ioaddr+COM_MCR);
		/* set OUT1 and OUT2 bits */
	tmp = tmp & COM_OMSK;
		/* write modem control register back to 8250 */
	outbyte (ioaddr+COM_MCR, tmp);

  I hope this helps.  There is more that could be said about this but
this is already longer than I had intended.  Let me know if you have
any more questions.

				Andrew J. Thomas
				(ajt@gwen.cs.purdue.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Tue 26 Aug 86 14:13:20-EDT
From: Fuat C. Baran <SY.Fuat@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Re: More on Async Adapter Problem
To: Asbed@USC-ECLB.ARPA
cc: info-pc@B.ISI.EDU, SY.Fuat@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU

>From: Liquid Len <Asbed@USC-ECLB.ARPA>
>
>I have tried using both of the memory locations $0000:$0030 and $0000:$002C
>to catapult to a user-defined interrupt service routine on reception of a
>character from the port. Both these did not work...

	The first things that came to my mind regarding your problem
were that maybe you were not initializing the port correctly (baud,
parity, etc), enabling interrupts when you were done servicing an
interrupt, etc.

	I've done some work writing serial interrupt handlers for
MS-DOS, and recently implemented one for a project I am working on.  I
based my interrupt handler and initialization on the Kermit MS-DOS
sources.

	Below is a bit of the code in MASM that sets up the interrupt
handler, and the interrupt handler itself.

	You might want to take a look at the Kermit sources which are
available from Columbia University.  (The file MSXIBM.ASM has the
serial int handler code.)

	Good luck.

				Fuat Baran
				Columbia University
				CUCCA Systems Integration

;************************
;
; Configured for COM1, 9600 baud
;
; Serial Port 1

THR1	equ	3F8h		; Transmitter Hold Register
RBR1	equ	3F8h		; Receiver Buffer Register
DLL1	equ	3F8h		; Divisor Latch Least Significant Bit
DLM1	equ	3F9h		; Divisor Latch Most Significant Bit
INTENB1	equ	3F9h		; Interrupt Enable Register
INTID1	equ	3FAh		; Interrupt ID Register
LCR1	equ	3FBh		; Line Control Register
MCR1	equ	3FCh		; Modem Control Register
LSR1	equ	3FDh		; Line Status Register
MSR1	equ	3FEh		; Modem Status Register
MDMVEC1	equ	0030h		; Modem port 1 interrupt vector
EOI1	equ	0064h		; End-Of-Interrupt for COM1

INTCTL	equ	0021h		; 8259 Interrupt Controller ICW2-3
INTCTL1	equ	0020h		; 8259 Interrupt Controller ICW1

txrdy	EQU	20H		; Bit for output ready.
rxrdy	EQU	01H		; Bit for input ready.

BUFSIZ	equ	4000

lf	equ	10		; line feed
cr	equ	13		; carriage return

	dseg
_ioroutine	dw	0
oldsp	dw	?
oldss	dw	?
inint	db	-1
critcnt	dw	0		; critical value
inbuf	db	BUFSIZ dup (?)	; input buffer
inptr	dw	?		; input pointer
outptr	dw	?		; output pointer
count	dw	?		; # of characters in buffer
oldvec	dd	?		; old serial handler
tstk	db	istksiz dup (?) ; interrupt stack
tstkend	label	byte

	endds

	pseg
; Clear the input buffer. This throws away all the characters in the
; serial interrupt buffer.

_clrbuf	proc	near
	push	ax
	cli
	mov 	ax, offset dgroup:inbuf
	mov	inptr, ax
	mov	outptr, ax
	mov 	count, 0
	sti
	pop	ax
	ret
_clrbuf	endp

; initialization for using serial port.  This routine performs
; any initialization necessary for using the serial port, including
; setting up interrupt routines, setting buffer pointers, etc.

_serini	proc	near
	push	ax
	push	bx
	push	dx
	push	es
	cld			; Do increments in string operations
	xor	ax, ax		; Address low memory
	mov 	es, ax
	mov 	bx, MDMVEC1	; modem port 1 int vector
	mov 	ax, es:[bx]
	mov 	word ptr oldvec, ax	; save old vector
	mov 	ax, offset serint 	; point to our serial routine
	cli			; Disable interrupts
	mov	es:[bx], ax
	add	bx, 2		;save CS too
	mov	ax, es:[bx]
	mov	word ptr oldvec+2, ax
	mov	es:[bx], cs
	call	_clrbuf		; Clear input buffer.
	call	dobaud
	in	al, INTCTL	; set up 8259 int controller
	and	al, 0EFH	; enable INT3 and INT4
	out	INTCTL, al
	mov	dx, LCR1	; line control register
	mov	al, 3		; 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, parity none
	out	dx, al
	mov	dx, RBR1	; read and ignore (flush) any current char
	in	al, dx		; in UART's rx buffer
	mov	dx, INTENB1
	mov	al, 1		; set up int enable reg
	out	dx, al		;  for Data Avail. only
	mov	dx, MCR1	; modem control reg
	mov	al, 0fh		; assert DTR, RTS, OUT1 & OUT2 (03h?)
	out	dx, al
	sti			; Allow interrupts
	pop	es
	pop	dx
	pop	bx
	pop	ax
	ret			; We're done.
_serini	endp

; serial port interrupt routine.  This is not accessible outside this
; module, handles serial port receiver interrupts.

serint	PROC  NEAR
	push	ax
	push	ds
	push	bx
	push	cx
	push	dx
	push	es
	push	si
	push	di
	push	bp
	cld			; clear direction
	mov	ax, seg dgroup
	mov	ds, ax		; address data segment
	mov	es, ax
	mov	di, inptr	; store data here
	mov	dx, LSR1	; Line status register
	in	al, dx
	test	al, rxrdy	; data available?
	jnz	serinf		; no
	inc	ecount
	jmp	serin3
serinf:	mov	dx, RBR1	; receiver buffer register
	in	al, dx		; read the character
	stosb
	cmp 	di, offset dgroup:inbuf+BUFSIZ
	jb	serin1		;not past end of buffer
	mov	di, offset dgroup:inbuf ; wrap buffer around
serin1: mov	inptr, di	; update ptr
	inc	count
	cmp	al, lf		; end of packet?
	jne	serin3		; no, keep going
	cmp	_ioroutine, 0	; any routine to call?
	je	serin3		; no, forget this
	inc	inint		; increment handler lock
	jnz	serin3		; already here, skip call
serin2: mov	oldss, ss	; save stack ptrs
	mov	oldsp, sp
	mov	ax, ds
	cli			; disallow interrupts
	mov	ss, ax		; stack in data segment
	mov	sp, offset dgroup:tstkend ; address interrupt stack
	sti			; allow interrupts
	call	ds:_ioroutine
	cli
	mov	ss, oldss	; restore stack
	mov	sp, oldsp
	sti			; allow interrupts
	dec	inint		; decrement handler lock
	jge	serin2		; not unlocked yet, call again
	jmp   	serin3
serin3:	pop	bp
	pop	di
	pop	si
	pop	es
	pop	dx
	pop	cx
	pop	bx
	mov	al, EOI1	; end-of-interrupt
	pop	ds
	out	INTCTL1, al
	pop	ax
	iret
SERINT	ENDP

DOBAUD  PROC    NEAR
        mov	dx, LCR1	; line control register
        in	al, dx
        mov	bl, al		; save LCR
        or	ax, 80H		; DLAB=1 (bit 7)
        out	dx, al
        mov	dx, DLL1	; Divisor latch LSB
	mov	ax, 0ch		; 9600 baud
;	mov	ax, 18h		; 4800 baud
;	mov	ax, 60h		; 1200 baud
;	mov	ax, 06h		; 19200 baud
        out	dx, al
        inc	dx		; (DLM1)
        mov	al, 0
        out	dx, al
        mov	dx, LCR1
        mov	al, bl		; Restore LCR1
        out	dx, al
dobd1:  ret
DOBAUD  ENDP

;********************

ARPANET:	SY.FUAT@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU
BITNET:		SY.FUAT%CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU@WISCVM
USENET:		...!{seismo|topaz}!columbia!cucca!fuat
DECNET:		SY.FUAT@CU20B
VOICENET:	(212) 280-5128

U.S. Mail:	Columbia University Center for Computing Activities
		717 Watson Labs
		612 W115th St.
		New York, NY 10025
-------

------------------------------
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 86 20:19:43 CDT
From:  C318566%UMCVMB.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Lee Schneider)
To:  INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Cc:  BURMAN@BR1-TBD.ARPA
Subject: Higher Density drives for PC

>I would like to fit my PC with a higher density disk drive than the 360K
>drives that are currently supported. This would allow me to backup my hard
>disk on at least half the number of floppies I have to use now (assuming I can
>support 720K +). I already have a 96 TPI, 80 track CDC drive which I would
>like to use to do this.

According to an article in the August Computer Shopper (see pp.
213-215), Small Office Systems, P.O. Box 15313, Santa Fe, NM 87506
offers for $44.95 a set of device drivers (maybe just one driver, I
don't know) which support 80 track drives, and also alternative
formats for 40 track drives which pack more data on a standard floppy.
They had an ad in one of the big name computer mags (back pages) this
month as well, but I can't find it now.

Lee Schneider, University of Missouri-Columbia
C318566@UMCVMB.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 26 Aug 86 22:27:13 edt
From: Nathaniel Polish <polish%lexington@columbia.edu>
To: info-ibmpc@b.isi.edu
Subject: PC LIMITED AT

The review that  was recently  posted of the  PC LIMITED AT appears to
describe a somewhat  different  machine   than the one  which I   just
received.  This is also a  6/8  mHz model.  The  speedup is controlled
from the keyboard (ctrl-alt-\)  and works on  the fly.  The setup menu
like to one you get on a real  AT by booting diag is  available at all
times via (ctrl-alt-enter) so you can change the clock easily.  I have
tested the  machine with an EGA  and monochrome together  and it works
fine.  The construction  seems  much better than any  other clone that
I've seen and is not far from the quality of a real IBM  machine.  The
front panel LEDs are also in securely and can be set to indicate clock
speed or power. I  get the impression  from the documentation that the
machine was recently improved so I guess that I was lucky.  Also, when
I ordered it  they said that  I should  expect  delivery in  3  weeks.
Tonight at dinner I got a fortune cookie which read "Something nice is
coming to you in the mail." and by God there it was 3  weeks after the
order at my door.  I think the machine is blessed.

Nat Polish@cs.columbia.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed 27 Aug 1986 10:06:23 EDT
From: <DIGITS@LL.ARPA>
Subject: NEC vs HP
To: INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB

We are in the process of trying to decide which IBM-PC AT clone is best
for our lab and have narrowed the choices down to an NEC APC IV or an HP
Vectra. If anyone out there has had any experience with either one and
would care to comment either pro or con we would really be able to use
the info.

Thanks in advance
Lou DiPalma
MIT Lincoln Labs

------------------------------

Date: 27 Aug 86 11:44:00 PST
From: "DANIELS S." <s_daniels@nusc.ARPA>
Subject: CALCULATORNTIFIC A
To: "info-ibmpc-request" <info-ibmpc-request@usc-isib.ARPA>

THIS IS FOR GERRY KEY @ NOSC.ARPA sUGGEST YOU CHECK OUT "PRO/SCI",
WHICH IS A POP-UP SCIENTIFIC CALCULATOR.  JUST GOT A DEMO DISK, BUT
HAVEN'T RUN THRU IT YET. PRICE $99. USES 87 CHIP IF YOU HAVE ONE.
OFFERS MATRIX CALCS, EDITABLE/SAVEABLE FORMULAE, ETC.  CALL (800)
632-7979.  i ALSO WROTE MY OWN USING tURBO PASCAL AND A OP OPUBLIC
DOMAIN RAM-RESIDENT UTUILITY CALLED "STAYRES". WORKS FINE, AND I CAN
ADD FUNCTIONS (BY MODIFIYING THE OUSRC SOURCE CODE). IF YOU WANT TO
TRY THIS. GIVE ME A CAL SOME DAY AT 203-440-5327 ASNF AND WE CAN
ARRANGE A XFR OF FILES.  SORRY FOR THE LOUSY TYPING, THIS IS MY 1ST
MSG ON ARPANET.  REGHARDS, SCOTT DASNIELS (DANIELS).

------------------------------

Date: 30 Aug 1986 12:04:02 PDT
Subject: Re: DOS Device Driver Query
From: Craig Milo Rogers  <ROGERS@B.ISI.EDU>
To: Info-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU, Shoots.wbst@XEROX.COM

	I, too, do not believe that there is a documented way to
load a DOS device driver after system startup.  However, I am
willing to speculate on one method.

	I have a program called "devices" (I apologize for
never sending it in to the library).  The program scans the
list of device drivers and prints the device headers.   The
problem is, how do you find the beginning of the device
driver chain?  I don't know of a documented method to get it.

	Here's my undocumented method.  Open an FCB for NUL.
In the "Reserved for system use" area (please, no hate mail
from Microsoft!) there is a field which points to the device
header of the device just opened.  NUL just happens to be at
the head of the list (as far as I know).

	The dangers of this method are:  1) The existance of
this field is undocumented,  2) its location depends on which
version of DOS you are running, 3) there's no guarantee that
NUL will continue to be the head of the list (maybe it isn't
really so in the first place), and 4) you won't make any
friends at Microsoft if you use this information.

	For your application, dynamically loaded device
drivers, you might just patch the new driver into the list
somewhere.  I cannot assure success:  DOS may have a
location containing the total number of block devices, and
that might need to be patched, too.  The rest of your driver
would be the usual exit-and-stay-resident stuff.

	Happy hacking.

					Craig Milo Rogers

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 86 15:17:55 edt
From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi@rochester.arpa>
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: FCOMP.C Use

I recently grabbed FCOMP.C from the info-ibmpc archives
at usc-isib, and ran into a few very minor problems.
After finding solutions, I thought I should let other
potential users know.

1) In order to compile this program with Microsoft C
(version 3), you must add this line to the source code:

#include <ctype.h>

to allow the compiler to find the "isdigit" function.
This is not needed if you use Lattice C (version 2.14).

2) Again when using Microsoft C, you must increase the
stack size to avoid gettng the "stack overflow" error
as soon as you try to  run FCOMP.   An easy way to do this
is, after linking,  to give the command:

EXEMOD FCOMP.EXE /STACK 6000

You can also increase the stack size while linking, and
avoid this extra command.
I also got "stack overflow" when using Lattice C, and
was never able to find a stack size big enough to let
it run.

3) If you use the default memory model in Microsoft C,
the program will be limited to 64K maximum data.
This means you can only compare files up to about 16K
bytes in length each, since both files and some scratch space
are held in memory.
Adding the "/AL" switch to your compile command will
give you the large memory model, which allows
memory access up to the total amlount in the machine.
However, any one data structure is limited to 64K bytes.
So, you are now limited to files of 64K length each.
If you use the large model, you will have to move the
stack size up to 8000, instead of 6000.

4) You may want to increase the  constant "MAXLINES"
to increase the number of lines of text allowed per file.
I moved it up to 3000 with no problems.

Maybe some of this information can be included with
the documnentation for this program in the archives.

Mike Ciaraldi
ciaraldi@rochester

------------------------------

To:  INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA
From:  UZR500%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject:  Crossword Puzzle Programs
Date: 2 September 1986, 11:32:18 MEZ

Some issues ago Jim Ennis asked whether there is a Crossword Puzzle
Maker program available for IBM-PCs.  After a while I asked him
whether he al= ready founf one. He wrote back to me that he has gotten
an address for such program and that he hadn't time that day to write
to this address in order to get more information about this program.
That was the reason why i wrote to the following address I got from
Jim :

                     George A. Stewart
                     Technical Editor BYTE
                     70 Main Street
                     Peterborough,New Hampshire 03458
                     Telephone : 603/924-9281

This morning I found a letter from George in my letterbox. I am
writing down what he wrote to me :

---------------------Letter from George to me-------------------------------
The Crossword Puzzle Maker generator is available along with a number
of other BASIC programming projects in book form and also in disk
form.

The books are : 'Macintosh Program Factory", "C-64 Program Factory"
and "APPLE Program Factory", all published by Osborne-McGraw Hill.

I have copies of all three books and will be happy to sell you any of
these and mai direct to you. Cost of each book including mailing
is:Apple($15),C-64($16), Macintosh ($20).

Disks are available for Macintosh,IBM MS-DOS,C-64,Applesoft BASIC DOS
3.3 .Cost of each disk is $35.00. Each disk includes about 20
programming projects, com- plete working BASIC programs.

All programs are copyrighted by MCGraw Hill Book Company.

I think you will enjoy the package, whether you get the books and/or
the disks.  I recommend both, so that you can get a full explanation
of how the programs work, to faciliate your own efforts at improving
or modifying the programs.

You may send your order to me a the following address :

                        Program Factory
                        POB 137
                        Hancock, NH 03449
--------------------------This was his letter to me---------------------------

Hope this helps those of you who are interested.  Sorry,Jim,I lost
your address,so that I couldn't answer you directly.Please notice that
my address (account AND mail address) will change in September to
IWI432%DERRZE1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU till I get a new own account at
my new workplace.
              Thorsten Glattki
              Computer Center of the Univerity of Bonn <UZR500%DBNRHRZ1.....>
              Dpt. of Computer Science of Univ. of Erlangen <IWI432%DERRZE1...>

------------------------------

Sender: "Jim_May.OSService"@Xerox.COM
Date: 2 Sep 86 05:13:11 PDT (Tuesday)
Subject: Drive Type Chart

The drive type chart is in the IBM AT Technical Reference Manual.
There are (that I know of) two different types of main boards.
#8286112 which is capable of drive types 1-15 and #6480170 which is
capable of 1-47.  I only have the 1-15 drive type chart:

Type   Cylinders       Heads   Write Pre-comp     Landing Zone

1	306		4	128			305
2	615		4	300			615
3	615		6	300			615
4	940		8	512			940
5	940		6	512			940
6	615		4	no			615
7	462		8	256			511
8	733		5	no			733
9	900		15	no8			901
10	820		3	no			820
11	855		5	no			855
12	855		7	no			855
13	306		8	128			319
14	733		7	no			733
15 	Reserved--set to zeros

Examples:

Seagate ST4026 	4 heads  615 cylinders
CMI 6426S		4 heads  615 cylinders
Seagate ST4038	5 heads  733 cylinders

Jim May

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 01 Sep 86 23:14:18 CDT
From:  C318566%UMCVMB.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Lee Schneider)
To:  INFO-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA

Date: 27 Aug 86 11:47:00 PST
From: "DANIELS S." <s_daniels@nusc.ARPA>
Subject: DISPLAYWRITE FILE INFO
To: "info-ibmpc-request" <info-ibmpc-request@usc-isib.ARPA>

i M AM WRITING A DISPLAYWRITE 3 FILE-RECOVERY PROGRAM AND WOULD
APPRECIATE ANY INFO AND INPUT. i PARTICULALRY NEED ADESCRUIPTUION OF
THE FILE LAYOUT FOR A DW3 FILE- HOW BIG THE HEADER IS, WHAT BYUTES
MEAN WHAT, ETC. ETR i CURRENTLY CAN DECODE THE EBCDIC-CODED DATA, AM
AM TRYING TO SORT OUT THE ACTUAL TEXT FROM THE MISCELLANEOUS 'GARBAGE'
SUCH AS FOOTERS, FORMATTING, DOCUMENT XCOMMENT, ETC.  ANY HELP WOULD
BE APPRECIATED.  IF YOU WANT TO CALL ME, TRY (203) 440-5327 DAYS.
THANKS. SCOTT DANIELS

------------------------------

Date:  Sun, 31 Aug 86 08:00 EDT
From:  <RDROYA01%ULKYVX.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU> (Robert
  Royar)
Subject:  Epson Equity 1 and WordPerfect
To:  info-ibmpc@b.isi.edu

This question is for a friend who hasn't access to the net.

He has an Epson Equity I and is using WordPerfect.  The machine and
software are used, and he isn't sure he received all the docs.  His
problem is with the reverse video.  Word Perfect is supposed to use
reverse video to highlight marked blocks, but on his machine the
escape codes to turn r_vid on appear at the beginning of the block,
and the codes for r_vid off are at the end.  He used some supplied
utilities to try the Epson's r_vid mode, and it worked.

Does anyone know how to modify WP to use the Epson's r_vid mode for
marking blocks the way it does with a more compatible PC.  BTW my
friend is new to computers, and he is not certain whether he is using
ANSI.SYS or not.  Could ANSI.SYS or the lack of it be part of the
problem?

Thanks in advance,

Robert Royar
Department of English
University of Louisville
Louisville, KY 40208

BITNET: RDROYA01@ULKYVX        [This is the only address I know.]

------------------------------

Date:  Sun, 31-AUG-1986 13:52 PDT
From:  <PSHiggins%UCIVMSA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
To:  <INFO-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU>
Subject:  PC version of Mille Bornes

Does anyone know of a version of Mille Bornes (the Parker Brothers
card game) for the Tandy 1000 or other PC-compatible?  I'm also
looking for a version of Scrabble (Selchow & Richter's word game).

Paul Higgins
University of California, Irvine
BITNET: PSHiggins@UCICP6.BITNET or PHiggins@UCIVMSA.BITNET
ARPA:   phiggins@ics.uci.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Sep 86 14:22:39 CST
From: munnari!augean.oz!ncapon@seismo.CSS.GOV (Dr. Capon)
To: munnari!info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: Computer Intensive Campuses

This message is being sent to several groups. I apologize to those who
see it twice. I have also had some mail problems, apparently due to
changes in host names to conform to domain addressing; it isn`t clear
what arrived and what didn't. I have had a reject note and a response
to one copy.

i am seeking to establish contacts with people concerned with planning
for computer intensive campuses. (alias, `workstations for every
student') My interest ranges from the technical through the managerial
to the academic outcomes.

Our setting is a state-funded University of 10000 students. The
current PC to student ratio is about 1 to 20, but we want to raise
that as soon as possible. It is likely that many institutions will
have the same problems of costs, benefits, impacts on network
resources etc, and we would benefit from discussions. Some
institutions are more advanced down this road than we are, and I would
like to talk to them particularly.

It may be that the people I want to contact are not direct users of
the groups I am using; I would appreciate it if readers would pass on
the message or send me suggestions.

Please reply via electronic mail as in the header. Otherwise via AIR
mail (necessary) to

I.N. Capon
Vice Chancellors Office
University of Adelaide
North Terrace
Adelaide
South Australia 5000

Thank you for your help.

------------------------------

Date: 2 Sep 1986 0829-EDT
From: Jim Gay <GAY@C.CS.CMU.EDU>
Subject: Leading Edge Monitor Adapter
To: Ibmpc

I have a Leading Edge PC and wish to connect a composite video monitor
to the color port.  Unfortunately the Leading Edge does not have the
right connector.  Apparently I need an adapter to convert the 9-pin
IBM type connector to the phonejack-like composite video connector.  I
am told that this adapter is included with a Hercules color card.
Does anyone have such an adpater that they could part with, or know
where I could get one without buying a Hercules card, or know where I
could get the parts and wiring diagram to have one made, or have any
other info which might point me in the right direction.  Please reply
to gay@c.

------------------------------

Date:  Fri, 29 Aug 86 16:29 EDT
From:  Bud Bach <Bach@DOCKMASTER.ARPA>
Subject:  PLink86 Plus
To:  info-ibmpc@B.ISI.EDU

Can anyone tell me about PLink86+?  Is it compatible with IBM LINK
v2.3?  Specifically, I need an overlay linker for IBM Professional
FORTRAN.  Any ideas?  -- Bud Bach

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------