[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V5 #94

Info-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU (Info-IBMPC Digest) (10/17/86)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Thursday, 16 October 1986      Volume 5 : Issue 94

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Topics:

			    I am Returned
			 New Product: PC SAM
			Datavue's 150 MHz 8086
		    Instructional Graphics Package
			   Telex (2 Msgs.)
		    Multilanguage Word Processing
		MicroEMACS Version 3.7i now Available
			     CED ^U Patch
			      Formatting
		DOS Memory Blocks and the Environment
			 ProComm Version 2.4
			  Serial Port and AT
			      Com3 Com4
		PROYAM Supports Kermit Sliding Windows
			    SCO User List
			 Low Cost Networking
			NETBIOS Time Routines
Today's Queries:
			 Enhanced AT Keyboard
		    2K Cluster size under DOS 3.1
			  EGA + lo res mode
	   LaserWriter Printer Definitions for Word Perfect
		      American Micro Technology
			Tape backup for IBM XT
		 Problems with DOS Wildcard Matching
		Floppy Head Step Rate Zap (Vol 5 #88)
			     VTERM on M24
			   Word Processors
		    How to Detect State CTRL-PrtSc
		       Fast Cards for Fast PC's
	       Problems Reading AUX: with Turbo Pascal
		  PC-Compatible Laptops With Modems

Date: 15 Oct 1986 19:01:26 PDT
Subject: I am Returned
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@B.ISI.EDU>

I am back from a month in Europe. It was great to be away. Thanks to all
who worked extra to cover for me.

There are a few dozen people out there not getting any digests. I have
been cleaning up the data base and will watch this digest carefully,
chasing down failed mail and making life miserable for postmasters in
the far corners of the network.

Please let me know about any problems with the mailings especially if
you don't receive this digest.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 16 Oct 86 08:59:53-PDT
From: SAM@SRI-NIC.ARPA
Subject: New Product: PC SAM

The DDN Network Information Center (NIC) is pleased to announce a new
IBM-PC software package for Simple Access to electronic Mail (SAM).
SAM is a total communication and mail management system that makes
electronic mail fast, efficient, and easy to handle on a PC.  SAM can
help you get the maximum benefit from DDN electronic mail, especially
if your mailbox is on a heavily loaded host.

At the push of a key, SAM will connect to your mail host, retrieve any
messages in your mail file, and move them automatically to your PC.
Using SAM, you can read and compose mail on your PC thus saving
connect time and avoiding the delay of working on a slow host.  Once
messages are composed and ready to go, SAM will automatically send
them to the mail host for online delivery.

SAM currently works with 4 host mail programs:  MM, UNIX Mail, VMS Mail,
and InfoMail.

Additional SAM features:

   . A built-in EDITOR for editing messages and DOS text files
   . Desk-like screen display with IN, OUT, and other FILE BASKETS
     to hold your documents
   . A personal online ADDRESS BOOK
   . A LEARN script facility
   . Programmable function keys
   . VT100 emulation
   . XMODEM and KERMIT file-transfer capability

SAM was developed jointly by SRI International, Menlo Park, CA and the
Transend Corp., Portola Valley, CA under sponsorship by the Defense
Communications Agency.  It has been beta-tested at four representative
sites on the network.

Trial disks will be available in November.  For more information, FTP
or request from SRI-NIC the file NETINFO:SAM-INFO.TXT.  (Send messages
to SAM@SRI-NIC.ARPA).

------------------------------

Date: 15 Oct 1986 18:51:56 PDT
Subject: Datavue's 150 MHz 8086
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@B.ISI.EDU>

From Electronic Engineering Times 13 October 1986:

Datavue's 8086 Look alike Has Average Execution Rate of 10 Mips

Norcross, Ga. A new CPU aimed at the IBM-PC, PC/XT and compatible
personal computers breaks all speed records. Designed to fully
emulate Intel Corp's 8086 running at 150 Mhz -- as opposed to 4.77
and 8 Mhz clocks in the PC and XT, respectively [8 Mhz XT?? -ed] the
86150 achieves a peak speed of 22 Mips and an average execution rate
of 10 Mips.

That means that IBM-PC software will run 15 times faster on the 86150
than on the 80286 based PC AT, according to the maker, Datavue
Technical Systems, a division of Intelligent Systems Corp.

Designed using the company's Proprietary Flow Through Logic
architecture and a custom 32 bit data bus, the 86150 was built with
discrete components.

"We build computers the old fashioned way, a chip at a time", quipped
Larry Morrissey, director of marketing for Datavue.

Maintaining true 8086 compatibility, the processor is of course
limited to 1 Mbyte of main memory, which comes with the unit. It is
available as an independent CPU box or in an AT-like configuration
called the Series 150 advanced personal computer.

The CPU interfaces with the outside world through a custom interface
that can be adapted to support the IBM-PC bus, the VME bus, the STD
bus, the MultiBus and the S100 bus. It can also plug directly into an
existing PC through the 8087, 80286, or 8086 sockets.

The series 150 combines the 86150 with the company's 8612, a PC
AT-like board used an I/O processor. The unit comes standard with
a case; AT-like keyboard; 256 kbytes of memory; a 360-kbyte
floppy-disk drive; a 10 Mbyte hard-disk drive; and two ports, one
serial and one parallel. It accommodates monochrome, CGA and EGA
monitors and streaming tape backup.

Datavue sees these two units opening up a new world of high speed for
the readily available IBM-PC software libraries in time-constrained
applications like CAD/CAM/CAE, multiuser systems and data
acquisition.

The 86150 will be priced at about $10,000, and Datavue expects to be
shipping both units by year-end. Besides unit sales, the company is
seeking private-label and OEM customers.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 86 22:23:16 edt
From: Robert Morris <ram%umb.umb.edu@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: Instructional Graphics Package

I have an instructional graphics package available for distribution
to anyone who wants it for non-commercial purposes. It is a set of
C routines in the style of the ``simplified graphics package' of
Foley and VanDam, that is, it is a segment based Core or GKS - flavor
package. It runs under Unix or MS/DOS with either
Microsoft C or Aztec C. Device drivers are relatively easy to write
(and instructive) and are provided for a DEC VT240 terminal, the
Hercules graphics card for the PC, and an Imagen laser printer. The
distribution includes VMS support also, but it has not been
exercised in the recent releases.

The principal design goals of the package were modularity and portability.
The intention is that students can get the pieces progressively revealed
to them and can be given exercises to implement existing pieces or
add new ones. This is the thrust of an undergraduate course I have
taught for two years with the package.

A technical report and user's manual are available if you
send me a paper mail address. Ordering instructions will accompany
the report. The package is without charge except the cost of
a tape for the Unix distribution or diskette for the PC distribution.

Robert Morris
Associate Prof.
Dept. of Math. and C.S.
UMASS/Boston
Boston, MA 02125

ram@umb.edu
  or
...harvard!umb!ram

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 86 11:21:37 PDT
From: Tony Tong <ttt%cory.Berkeley.EDU@UCBVAX.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject: Telex

From working in Taiwan, I know of two methods of telex access via a pc.

1) Multitech Inc. has produced a card for IBM-pcs which turns your
    computer into a telex station. This requires your PC to be on all
    the time (like a normal telex machine), but runs in the background
    freeing that machine for other work.

2) MARK-NET, the network of GEISCO (General Electric Information Services Co.)
    has direct access to the telex network.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1986 14:35 PDT
From:   "Jeffrey Sicherman"  <JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

   I received information on a Telex board called the ACT 2000 manufactured
by
     Advanced Computer Technology
     Worcestor-Providence Turnpike
     Sutton MA 01527
     (617) 865-9912    Telex: 928490

Summary (from the specs sheets):
     $495 includes half-card and software
         (but specs says it needs a full expansion slot)
     Dedicated telex lines or economy telex over phone lines
         (they sell an adaptor)
     Automatic reception while PC is running
     Automatic transmission at set times
     Automatic retry and answerback confirmation
     Abbreviated dialing'
     Automatic saving to disk of all messages
     Menu driven
     text editor for preparing messages (others usable)

  There are a few more details but its all standard telex specs, I think.
I never contacted them for further information and have no connection, etc.

   Jeff Sicherman
   JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1986 13:08 PDT
From: "Jeffrey Sicherman" <JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET>
Subject: Multilanguage Word Processing

   Don't know any of the details about it (my recent foreign language
experience is limited to a semester of introductory Japanese a couple
of years ago) but I received some material about that time on a product
called ChinaStar. Required graphics card (CGA or Hercules) and a graphics
compatible printer. Will skip the specs for now but can pass them along if
you want. The company, who I never contacted (if its still there) is
    JHL Research, Inc.
    2552 Woodland Drive
    Anaheim, Ca  92801
    (714)827-7420, (213)723-1468

  I passed this along to a few professors and students where I'm a masters
student but don't know if they did anything about it either, so can't speak
for the product. I also suppose this company could be a distributor for a
product you already know by another name.
   Jeff Sicherman
   JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET

===== Note from Jeffrey Sicherman <JAJZ801@CALSTATE> ================

   Tried to get the above to NIKE!TSLU@OLIVEN.OLIVETTI.COM but either
you can't send there from here or I'm to dumb to figure out how. The
above information is somewhat old, but the software only price is $99
for the basic version and $295 for the advanced version (for the hercules)
Plus they also advertise hardware upgrades to support the software
including:
   C-KVP: operating system add on
   New character generator
   hardware-based character generator to accelerate processing
   Input methods:  Chinese Alphabetical
                   Pinyin
                   Chuyin
                   Others addable through utility program
   Multilanguage support (Chinese, Japanese, Russian, Greek, others)
   Manufactured in Anaheim Ca (where I live), 40 dealers nationwide
     (at time of publication)

  I can summarize more extensively or look into it if anybody is
interested and will forward results to the list (or direct if needed).

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1986  18:17 MDT
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: MicroEMACS Version 3.7i now Available

MicroEMACS, version 3.7i, is now available from SIMTEL20...

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.MICRO-EMACS>
EMACSDOC.ARC-VER37I.1		BINARY	 73984  4631H <--documentation
EMACSEXE.ARC-VER37I.1		BINARY	178816  5A49H <--executables
EMACSSRC.ARC-VER37I.1		BINARY	180507  4C2AH <--source code

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie Mail: W8SDZ
RCP/M Royal Oak: 313-759-6569 (300, 1200, 2400 bps)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Oct 86 22:12:26 edt
From: nike!caip!pyrnj!vu-vlsi!colin@cad.Berkeley.EDU (Colin Kelley)
Subject: CED ^U Patch

(I mentioned last week a patch to allow ^U in CED; enough people were
interested that I cleaned it up into an automated batch file, given in
uuencoded ARC format below...)

If you work on VAX or a 4.2bsd machine you're probably used to typing ^U
(that Ctrl-U!) to delete the current line.  MS-DOS added this feature in
3.1, then took it away again almost immediately.  Some people have posted
patches to put it back in 3.1, but I think this is a better idea:  use CED
with the patch supplied below!

[Sorry but INFO-IBMPC doesn't distribute binary code even uuencoded binary.
Please contact the author directly if you want this patch. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 86 02:19:25 EDT
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: Formatting

Regarding the message in Info-IBMPC Volume 93 ...
A local techie confirms doing a Go C800:5 in DEBUG will in fact pop you
into a basic level formatter on your hard disk controller card ... BUT BUT
BUT... he also informs me this only works with the Western Digital controller
card.

You can easily check on this, of course, by peeking around at c800:0000 with
the Unassemble command .. or even the Dump command.  You'll see some command
strings in that area too.

My techie informs me the WD software provides you with some options as to
exactly HOW your disk will be formatted ... but he cautioned me to accept
the defaults offered (and didn't know what else you could get away with).

I'd hopes of reformatting an old full-height 5 Megger (with 256-byte
sectors for CP/M) to expand my system ... but don't expect it'll be that
simple.

So if you DO Go C800:5, expect to be hit with a couple format questions.
Just accept the prompts, and then do your FDISK (rather than Format).

No, I haven't tried this yet.  You're on your own.
Regards,
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 86 21:56:00 edt
From: SCHEUTZOW%gitpyr%gatech.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA,
      MICHAEL J <gt6294b%gitpyr%gatech.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: DOS Memory Blocks and the Environment

There are several statements in this document that  are  not  quite
right.  I  apologize  for  the length of this message (~100 lines),
but this information should be corrected.  I have no access to  any
internal  MS-DOS documents,  so my views are based on long sessions
with debug.  For this reason, I might also be wrong, but I'm fairly
sure that what follows is correct.  Like the author of that  paper,
I'm using MS-DOS v2.11 running on an ATT6300.

: Following  the identification flag  comes  a pointer to the  next
: item, which is a segment value, and a size in paragraphs.

The word after the 'id flag' is NOT a pointer  to  the  next  item.
The  format  for  the  header  of a memory control block (MCB) must
start on a paragraph boundary, (1 paragraph = 16 bytes) and consists
of 5 bytes:

byte 0    Equals 4Fh if this is  not the last MCB.   The next MCB
          header is  found length+1  paragraphs (see below)  from
          here.  Equals 5Ah if this is the last MCB.

byte 1,2  An owner-id tag.   Contains the  segment address of the
          PSP of the process which owns this block of memory.  If
          several blocks  are allocated  by a program,  each will have the same id.  The  local copy of the environ-
          ment is  tagged this way.  Equals zero if the block  of
          memory is free (not owned).

byte 3,4  The length,  in  paragraphs, of this MCB, not including
          the 16 bytes  of the header.  The 'data area' starts in
          the paragraph after this header.

:      The initial approach to  the question of increasing the size
: of the  environment involved three  steps: 1) increment  the size
: field in  the block  header;  2) create  a  new  header  for  the
: following block; 3)  decrement  the size  field in  the following
: block header.

This is an extremely  bad  idea  (I  will  explain  why  it  worked
however).  As  indicated  above,  the  MCBs are allocated one after
another.  If you  lengthen  one  block  in  this  manner,  you  are
destroying  the  information  at  the  beginning  of the next block
(which you recognized).  The problem is that there is a good chance
that a program is occupying the next block of memory.  This  method
will  result  in the destruction of critical information in the PSP
of that program.

Why did it work?  At boot time,  CONFIG.SYS gets the first block of
memory; COMMAND.COM gets the next;  the MASTER ENVIRONMENT gets the
third;  and then AUTOEXEC.BAT is executed.  Any batch file claims a
block of memory for itself,  so AUTOEXEC allocates the fourth  one.
If  any memory resident programs are installed from AUTOEXEC,  they
will get the fifth,  sixth etc.  At the end of the  batch  program,
the  MCB  grabbed  by  the  batch file is returned to the available
pool.  This causes a gap in memory,  and because other MCBlocks are
stacked  above,  this  gap  is fixed in place (read further).  This
block is too small to be useful to  other  programs,  but  the  net
effect  is  that  there  are  about  48-64  bytes  of unused memory
immediately after the master environment.

So,  the  above  expansion scheme doesn't step on anything critical
for a little while.  If it is used more than three  or  four  times
however,  you are almost definitely into the PSP of a program,  and
this is bad news.  If you play with  the  header  of  this  program
block, you may prevent the memory from being returned to the system
when the process terminates.

:    The second approximation  to  a  solution assumed  that  the
: environment block was a  real memory block, and that the Setblock
: call could  increase  the  size  of  this  block  once  the block
: immediately following  it  had been deallocated;

The  master  environment  IS  a  real  memory  block,  and  'Modify
Allocated Memory Block' WILL increase the size.

: at this point that it became apparent that the  root  environment
: block was   not   a   real   memory   block  as   this   entirely
: straightforward procedure did not work.

It  didn't work because a) you asked for too much memory:  it can't
give what it doesn't have.  MCBs must be continuous, so this system
call will expand with what is available.  (about 48 to 64 bytes  if
autoexec installs a memory resident program) or b) the program that
is supposed to expand the environment loads itself in the way.

:    In a sensible system,  this would fail when one block header
: got destroyed  without repairing the  chain.  However, in MS-DOS,
: the chain is not started with an  explicit pointer, but rather as
: an offset  from the start of the root environment block...

I hope that it's clear that both sentences are quite false.

:    So, the header of the first non-system block can be DESTROYED
: [my emphasis],  since the start of non-system memory is found by
: using the length field of the root environment block,  which must
: therefore be kept updated.

Bull Cookies.

Rather  than  using  a  method  which  will  eventually  crash your
machine,  why not just modify command.com so it allocates  as  many
paragraphs  as  you  want?  Search  for the code that allocates 0Ah
paragraphs.

Thank you for reading through all of this; I hope that a few of you
out  in  net-land will sleep easier now that you know some of these
tidbits.

Cheers,
Mike Scheutzow                  UUCP: gt6294b@gitpyr.uucp
Georgia Tech                    ARPA: gt6294b@pyr.ocs.gatech.edu

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 86 14:54:16 PDT
From: crash!pnet01!mtarrani@nosc.ARPA (Mike Tarrani)
Subject: ProComm Version 2.4

After  playing with ProComm version 2.4 for a few days I have decided  that
it  is  a  significant  improvement over version 2.3  and  have  completely
removed the older version, and supporting utilities, from my hard disk.

The  immediate  difference  is  the improved status bar  that  version  2.4
provides  on the bottom of the screen.   In 2.3 and previous  versions  you
were presented with a terse PRESS ALT-F10 FOR HELP.  The newest ProComm has
a more helpful display that looks like:

ALT-F10 HELP | VT-100 | FDX | 1200 8N1 | LOG CLOSED | PRT OFF | CR | CR
    ^            ^       ^        ^         ^            ^     \          /
    |            |       |        |         |            |      Incoming &
    How to get  Current  Duplex   Speed &   Session log  On/off outgoing
    HELP, this  terminal setting  data      status       status  trans-
    also will   setting  FDX=full format    OPEN means   of your  lation
    display              HDX=half           session is   printer
    other info                              copying

Many  terminal types are supported.  Incoming & outgoing translation  shows
whether  you  are sending or receiving carriage returns only,  or  carriage
return/line feeds.  The ALT-F10 HELP portion also displays messages such as
DISCONNECTING  and some error messages.   Overall,  this is a  much  better
display than the older versions provided.

P R O T O C O L S
 _________________

ProComm now supports an expanded list of transmission protocols:

     XMODEM
     Kermit
     Telink
     MODEM7 (batch XMODEM)
     YMODEM
     YMODEM BATCH
     ASCII
     COMPUSERVE B
     WXMODEM

The Kermit server has also been greatly improved.

Here  is  a  list  of enhancements,  taken directly from  a  textfile  that
accompanies PRCM24.ARC

    -   All new high level command language.  Use CMDCNVT.EXE to convert
        old scripts to the new format.  (Consult the documentation for a
        complete description of the new command language.)

    -   CompuServe B protocol now supported

    -   Windowed XMODEM (WXMODEM) now supported

    -   COM3 and COM4 are now supported

    -   Fixed manual dial/linked cmd file problem

    -   Added Tab handling to Redisplay buffer

    -   Changed ANSWERBACK to ENQ, added CompuServe B

    -   ENQ now works in ANSI terminal emulation

    -   Added modem cmd suffix, defaults to CR

    -   Added default download directory

    -   Added BS key definition (BS or DEL)

    -   Added Kermit handshake setup

    -   Added multiple kb macro files

    -   MODEM INIT string no longer has default CR- you must
        include it in string.

    -   AUTO-ANSWER string no longer has default CR- you must
        include it in string.

    -   ALT-Y sends auto answer string

    -   ALT-C will now clear the screen to your default colors

    -   Increased file transfer timeouts in host mode

    -   Improved XMODEM family EOT handling and error recovery

    -   /D command line switch for dual monitors (no auto detect).
        Use this switch if you have a mono card and color card
        in the same machine.

    -   VT100 and VT52 now support all print functions.

    -   VT100 now supports programmable tab stops

    -   Fixed VT100 bug with ESC [ 2 l and ESC [ ? 2 l

    -   Fixed VT100 bug when keypad appl. mode keys echoed back.

    -   VT52 line graphics mode fixed (worked in 2.2 but not in 2.3)

    -   Fixed bug when INS is pressed in col 80.

    -   Fixed XOFF/XON flow control problem in ASCII uploads.

    -   Keyboard macros can now be used in chat mode.

    -   F)iles and S)hell in host only work for COM1 & COM2 due to
        lack of DOS support for COM3 and COM4.

    -   Added host autobaud detect to host mode.   2 methods.   Method 1
        uses the messages sent by the modem i.e. CONNECT 1200.  Method 2
        uses incoming character checking.   Remote caller must press  CR
        or space bar a few times for host to detect baud rate.

    -   Added user setable BREAK length

    -   VT100 and VT52 keyboard layout switched to physical mapping. The
        unshifted  function  keys are like the 2 left rows of the  VT100
        keypad,  and the shifted function keys are like the 2 right rows
        of  the  VT100 keypad.   (Consult the  documentation  for  exact
        mapping.)

P R O B L E M S
 _______________

When  I  first  installed  ProComm version 2.4 I  experienced  an  annoying
problem:   If  I exited the program,  when I reinvoked it would recreate
the PRM file that contained my custom settings (kill sound,  default to VT-
100,  etc.) Even setting the PRM file attribute to R/O (Read Only)  failed;
ProComm still doggedly rewrote the thing to initial settings.  There was no
way I was going to reinstall the program every time I wanted to run it,  and
I almost decided to stick with version 2.3.   However, there is much wisdom
in the adage, "When all else fails, read the manual!"

The solution to the problem was to include the following in my AUTOEXEC.BAT
file:

     SET PROCOMM = C:\USR\TELECOM\PRCM\
                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                   This is my particular path to where ProComm resides
                   on my hard disk, along with its supporting files.
                   The ending \ character *must* be appended to the path
                   name.

You will also need the following in your CONFIG.SYS file:

     FILES = 20
     BUFFERS = 20

and I strongly recommend including the following

     DEVICE = ANSI.SYS

(Just make sure that you have ANSI.SYS in your ROOT directory,  or you have
defined a path to it using PATH.)

[Better yet install NANSI.SYS from the info-ibmpc lending library -ed]

O N   T H E   P L U S   S I D E
 _______________________________

One  of  the  nicer  enhancements is that the host mode  now  works  on  my
machine.   I have a strange serial port that, until version 2.4, would  not
cooperate  with  any  host-type software with the exception of  ASCII  Pro.
Older  versions of ProComm required that you play around with  CD  (Carrier
Detect)  masking,  but all of my trial-and-error sessions ended in  failure
and frustration.  With version 2.4, host worked immediately.

The  authors  have changed their name from PIL SYSTEMS,  INC  to  DATASTORM
TECHNOLOGIES,  INC, and are insisting that you register ProComm (instead of
the usual shareware request that you send in a contribution.)  Sounds  fair
to  me  considering that for $25.00 you get [in my opinion] the BEST  tele-
communications program available for MS-DOS machines.  For $50.00 you get a
professionally printed manual plus registration. Still an excellent deal.

The following files comprising ProComm 2.4 are circulating in the San Diego
area.   Listed are file names,  size and transmission times at 1200 bps and
ARC file content:

ATOPRO24.ARC   66560 bytes, 520 blocks, 11 minutes and 55 seconds
Name          Length    Stowage    SF   Size now
============  ========  ========  ====  ========
AUTOPRCM.COM     64094  Squeezed    8%     59398   This  is  a   script
AUTOPRCM.DOC     11329  Crunched   46%      6140   file  generator  and
        ====  ========            ====  ========   documentation.
Total      2     75423             14%     65538

PRCM24.ARC     134528 bytes, 1051 blocks, 24 minutes and 5 seconds
Name          Length    Stowage    SF   Size now
============  ========  ========  ====  ========   ProComm 2.4,  plus a
CMDCNVT.EXE      19160  Squeezed   13%     16699   brief description of
PRCM24.NEW        2976  Crunched   44%      1693   changes and a  handy
PROCOMM.EXE     165456  Crunched   30%    115979   program  to  convert
        ====  ========            ====  ========   old  script files to
Total      3    187592             29%    134371   the new format.

PRCM24B.ARC    136192 bytes, 1064 blocks, 24 minutes and 22 seconds
Name          Length    Stowage    SF   Size now
============  ========  ========  ====  ========   Documentation    for
PROCOMM.DOC     335673  Crunched   60%    135897   version  2.4.   Very
        ====  ========            ====  ========   comprehensive.
Total      1    335673             60%    135897

PRCM24C.ARC    27648 bytes, 216 blocks, 4 minutes and 56 seconds
Name          Length    Stowage    SF   Size now
============  ========  ========  ====  ========   This   is   a   nice
COMPUSRV.CMD      1448  Crunched   58%       621   sampling  of  script
FIDO.CMD          1993  Crunched   69%       637   files  for   various
PCP-MENU.CMD     13948  Crunched   66%      4874   popular  systems,  a
PRCMSORT.EXE      7678  Crunched   22%      6042   dialing    directory
RBBS.CMD          1831  Crunched   68%       587   sorting  program and
SOURCE.CMD        1525  Crunched   58%       652   'Timed     Execution
TEF.EXE          15728  Crunched   16%     13334   Facility', a program
        ====  ========            ====  ========   that will execute  a
Total      7     44151             40%     26747   script   file  at  a
                                                   pre-specified   time
                                                   unattended.

I strongly recommend this program,  as well as taking the time to  register
it  to  support further revisions.   I have no association  with  Datastorm
Technologies other than as a very satisfied user of their software.

Mike Tarrani
uucp: {akgua, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, ihnp4, noscvax}!crash!pnet01!mtarrani
ARPA: ... crash!pnet01!mtarrani@nosc

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 86 19:03:10 edt
From: "Bennett E. Todd III" <ecsvax!bet%mcnc.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: Serial Port and AT

[In reference to a suspected problem with Mouse Systems Mouse. -ed]

I think you've got a serial port problem. The IBM Asynch card doesn't
work in the IBM AT (or some AT compatibles, such as the Zenith 200).
This is a documented misbehavior known by IBM. The failure mode seems to
be garbling of data, and incorrect indications of control signal status
-- not a complete hard failure, just enough to make the critter useless.
On recent IBM Asynch cards I've seen (the ones with the additional
jumper block to support being COM2:) there is a jumper (as opposed to a
DIP block) near the middle of the card (the only jumper on the cards
I've seen); if you remove this jumper the card works in an AT.

-Bennett

[Anybody have an explanation of what this jumper does? -ed]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 12 Oct 86 22:08:05 pdt
From: sdcsvax!sdcc13.UCSD.EDU!co198wap@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (Jill Small)
Subject: Com3 Com4

I believe the Com3 port is 2E8 to 2EF and Com4 is 2E0 to 2E7. Note
that this doesn't follow the Com1 and Com2 pattern. I didn't design
it, IBM did!!

------------------------------

From: gamma!mb2c!edsdrd!ahxenix!bob@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Date: Mon Oct 13 09:15:40 1986
Subject: PROYAM Supports Kermit Sliding Windows

ref: Keith Peterson's request for other programs that support Kermit
     sliding windows.

Chuck Forsberg's PROYAM also includes the sliding window feature of Kermit.
This feature is currently only included in the MS-DOS version, but I would
hope that Chuck would include it in his next Xenix release.

Bob Leffler  -  ahxenix!bob

                ...!ihnp4!mb2c!edsdrd!ahxenix!bob
                ...!cbosgd!ulysses!gamma!epsilon!mb2c!edsdrd!ahxenix!bob
                ...!chinet!fmsrl7!{ahxenix,cideq3}!bob

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!mb2c!edsdrd!ahxenix!bob@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Date: Mon Oct 13 12:03:39 1986
Subject: SCO User List

I'm currently have problems with Santa Cruz Operation and their Xenix
operating system.  The problems are mostly with the Xenix86 product, but
some are present in the Xenix286 product.

It appears that SCO (isn't able/or won't) respond to individual requests
or complaints of their product line.  They are also very secretive about
bugs that have been discovered by other users.  Especially since their
Support Newsletter which was promised as part of Softcare Support has
never been published.

I'm putting together a mailing list of SCO Xenix users that are experiencing
problems with SCO Xenix.  If you are a user of SCO Xenix86 or Xenix286 and
would like to be included in the mailing list, please send your inquiries
to:

...!ihnp4!mb2c!edsdrd!ahxenix!sco-xenix

In your initial inquiry, I would appreciate the following information:

Name
US Mail Address
uucp address
phone #
What SCO products do you have, also what release level
Do you have any un-resolved problems or gripes

I will forward to all on the news list on a weekly basis.

Date: Tue 14 Oct 86 14:25:43-PDT
From: D.LEWIS@SCU
Subject: Low Cost Networking

> From:   Bob Babcock    <PEPRBV%CFATA1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
>
> Are there any communications programs available which would allow two
> PC's to share files?  The programs would need to run as servers in the
> background so that either machine could ask the other for a file
> without requiring the sender to interrupt the current application.

There's a product called EasyLAN that connects two PC's via a cable (or
modem) using their serial ports.  On PC's and XT's the transmission rate
is 19.2Kbaud, and 56Kbaud on the AT.  Either user can access the files on
the other's disks without disturbing normal operation at the other PC.
Access rights and passwords can be used as well.

Since the product is all software, the price is right.  A kit for two PC's
including cable, two diskettes, and manuals is $179.95; each additional
PC (cable, diskette, and manual) is $109.95; latter without the cable is
$79.95.  Copyright protection is implemented by checking for identical
software serial numbers at either end of a connection, so you must buy at
least two diskettes.

EasyLAN is available from:

		Server Technology, Inc.
		1095 East Duane Ave, Suite 107
		Sunnyvale, CA 94086
		(408) 738-8377

I have no connection with this company, but am simply a satisfied user.

-Dan Lewis
 Assoc Prof of Comp. Sci.
 EECS Dept.
 Santa Clara Univ.
 Santa Clara, CA 95053
 (408) 554-4449/4482

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Oct 1986 18:27 EDT
From: Robert Craig  <ROBERT%MCGILL1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: NETBIOS Time Routines
To: Token Ring Digest <PC-TOKEN-RING@OAC.UCLA.EDU>

Enclosed are three programs TIMESERV.ASM, STIME.ASM, and
NOSET.ASM intended as examples of downloading the time
from a machine on the network, and of a simple way to
prevent a user from modifying the time on his workstation.

They are placed by the author (me) in the public domain
for non-commercial use, and may be freely modified and adapted,
particularly since they aren't quite bulletproof as they stand.

They were developed using Novell's NETBIOS interface.

[The file TIMESTUFF can be found in the <INFO-IBMPC> archives -wab]

------------------------------

From: silber@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Jeffrey Silber)
Subject: Enhanced AT Keyboard

Problem with Enhanced AT Keyboard

I received my latest batch of ATs with the enhanced keyboard.  We have
discovered a few unpleasantries and possible flaws:

1) Machine always boots up on NUM LOCK ... is there any way to change this
   in the autoexec?

2) We swapped the keyboard with an old AT (which someone told me was OK), and
   the diagnostics seem to check out BUT:

   In some programs using the separate arrow keys invokes SHIFT LOCK without
   lighting up the SHIFT LOCK light ... and

   The right hand ALT or CTRL keys appear to function as ALT LOCK or CTRL LOCK

   Feature? Bug?  Or just a problem by using a new keyboard on an old machine.

Jeffrey A. Silber              silber@devvax.tn.cornell.edu
		               JAS@CORNELLD
			       {decvax,ihnp4,cmcl2,vax135}
                               !cornell!devvax!silber

Business Manager
Center for Theory & Simulation in Science & Engineering
			       265 Olin Hall
			       Cornell University
			       Ithaca, NY  14853

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 86 17:15:54 MEZ
From:  UNI217%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: 2K Cluster size under DOS 3.1

 Rainer Kleinrensing,       UNI217   at DBNRHRZ1

Hello!
I work with a Zenith Z-158 PC clone and recently got a Microscience
20MB Hard Disk with a DTC controller. This works fine, but I am not
quite satisfied with the big cluster size of 4k, because there are
so many little files . . .
Does anyone out there know how to format my hard disk with, let's
say, 2k clusters ? (currently, I use DOS 3.1).
Thank You,
          Rainer Kleinrensing.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 13 Oct 86 15:26:33 CDT
From:  CCRJW%UMCVMB.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Richard Winkel     UMC
  Computing Services)
Subject: EGA + lo res mode

Does anyone know if the EGA has a mode similar to the non-supported CGA
200 x 100 (lo-res) mode, and how it might be accessed?

Thanks,
Rich Winkel

------------------------------

Date:    Mon, 13 Oct 86 21:24 EST
From:  XLYKN8%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: LaserWriter Printer Definitions for Word Perfect

Has anyone worked on a Word Perfect Printer Definition for the
Apple LaserWriter.  We have hopes of using the TOPS card designed to
put an MS-DOS  machine on an Appletalk network with some Macs and
the LaserWriter.  The question is ... can Word Perfect printer defi
definitions be used to make limited use of Postscript commands,
enough to allow the printing of text files directly to the Laserwriter.
I am quite familiar with the Word Perfect end of things, but am unfa
not familiar with Postscript.
  Dan Mandell
  XLYKN8 @ IRISHMVS
  Computing Center
  Saint Mary's College
  Notre Dame, In 46556

------------------------------

Date: Tue 14 Oct 86 14:58:06-EDT
From: Thomas S. Wanuga <WANUGA@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: American Micro Technology

I am considering the purchase of an ATjr from American Micro
Technology.  I would appreciate hearing about any experiences that
people have had with this company.  The ATjr is an XT-compatible
running at 4.77/8 Mhz with 0 wait-state memory.  Thanks.

Tom Wanuga
  wanuga@xx.lcs.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 86 08:25:55 CDT
From:  C2390N%UMVMA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
To:  info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: Tape backup for IBM XT

I am asking for recommendations (or advice) for a portable tape backup
machine for the IBM PC XT.  The user is willing to accept a machine that
uses its own controller card ( if the price is reasonable, $300 or
less per controller).  He intends to use the unit for a group of five
XT's.  He places importance on software ease of use and dependability
Thank you!
Jim Hisle, Computing Services, University of Missouri - Kansas City
C2390N@UMVMA.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 86 13:57:33 SET
To:  info-ibmpc@b.isi.edu.ARPA
From:  ESC1319%ESOC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Problems with DOS Wildcard Matching

    I have  recently  been stung  yet again by  DOS's weird ideas
about wild card matching.

    On  all other operating systems  I  have  worked  on,  if you
wanted to match all files with a three character  name, you would
look for "???.*",  but DOS returns you all file names  with three
characters  OR LESS !!!  Not only that,  but if you try  to match
something  like  "*tmp*.*",  it  very  kindly  ignores  the "tmp"
altogether and treats it just like "*.*" ! This sort of behavior
is  all very  well  if  you're just doing a "DIR",  but can  be a
little annoying if the command happens to be "DEL" instead.

    My questions are therefore, is this a bug ?, if not why is it
not described like this in  the DOS manual  ?,  and what can I do
about it ??

    Alun Saunders

------------------------------

Date:  Fri, 10 Oct 86 20:55 CDT
From:  Wilkinson@HI-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Floppy Head Step Rate Zap (Vol 5 #88)

I did not understand this message at all.  Can someone please explain:
 1) What is a 'head-settle' parameter
 2) what is the 'head step rate'
 3) How do the above effect the performance of the floppy?
 4) Does the message mean that the parameter is not optimized in DOS
          Richard Wilkinson  {Wilkinson@HI-MULTICS.ARPA}

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 86 14:33:12 pdt
From: Peter Stokes <stokes%cmc.cdn%ubc.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: VTERM on M24

I am trying to use VTERM (VT100 terminal emulator with built in Kermit)
on an Olivetti M24 (IBM PC compatible).  Everything works well except
a collection of keys on the M24 keyboard are wrong.  For example, if
I hit "(" I get a "*".   All the number keys and the {}[];:'" keys
appear to mapped incorrectly.  Is there a way for me to fix this problem?
Has it got to do with BIOS and can that be changed easily?

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Peter Stokes
Canadian Microelectronics Corporation
Queens University
Kingston Ontario
Envoy100: cmc.vlsiic
CDNnet:   stokes@cmc.cdn
BITNET:   stokes@qucdncmc.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: 7 Aug 86 16:37:26 GMT
From: mhoward @ Wheeler-EMH
Subject: Word Processors

I need some help in finding a full-blown word processor for my ibm
clone.  My problem is that I want the best of both worlds.  That is,
ease of use along with features.  I have "Word" and "wordstar", but
I'm still not happy with either one.  Now I am looking at WordPerfect
and the word processor in Symphony.  If anyone can recommend or not
recommend a word processor of any breed, I'd like to thank them in
advance.

Mahalo,

Matt Howard (mhoward@Wheeler-EMH  or  mhoward@bbn-unix)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Oct 86 21:24:35 MST
From: Jim Howard  <KGJHH%ASUACAD.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: How to Detect State CTRL-PrtSc

We are looking for information on where to look in DOS to detect if
CTRL-P (like CTRL-PrtSc) is turned on. To eliminate screen echo to printer
on LAN.

------------------------------

Date: Sat 11 Oct 86 22:16:43-PDT
From: CYAMAMOTO%GUMBY@USC-ECLC.ARPA
Subject: Fast Cards for Fast PC's

	There have been many PC compatibles introduced in the last several
months with speeds of 8 Mhz and faster.  In fact many are even possible at
speeds of 10 or 12 Mhz, not to mention PC Limited's 16 Mhz AT.
	However, after talking with a few people, I find that there exists a
problem of cards being able to run at such speeds.  Although I myself have not
seen what problems actually occur under such circumstances, I'm sure the
system must crash and be reset when it does.
	I am wondering if anyone out there could inform me as to what cards
are NOT problematic at high speeds.  I realize this is easier since I've heard
already that display adapters, memory cards and parallel/serial cards are
sensitive to the higher speeds.  What about floppy, hard drive, and tape
controllers?
	Also is there ANY possible way of knowing what the top speed of a
card is, other than actually plugging it in to see if it works?  I've seen
some advertisements, such as Intel's, that say the card can work up to X Mhz.
But unfortunately most advertisements don't carry this information.
	Lastly, is it worth purchasing a fast PC ( 8 Mhz or faster ), has
anyone had any regrets about buying one?  I'm considering to buy in the near
future a 12 Mhz or 16 Mhz AT from PC Limited, since most of my work involves
compiling and I would like to avoid waiting several minutes for a compile and
link.  Are fast PC's as touchy as they say?  Most of them now sport 10 Mhz
and some even 12 Mhz.  Does this mean that the avg. speeds a card can handle
will be increased in the near future?  In other words, will the headache of
locating fast enough cards for a fast PC out weigh the plus in speed?
	Any information on this, including from those with IBM AT's with
after-market speed-ups, would be greatly appreciated.
Please send mail to me directly as I'm not on this info list.

	Thanx in advance,
		Cliff Yamamoto

ARPA : CYAMAMOTO%GUMBY%USC-ECL.ARPA
Snail : Cliff Yamamoto
	1939 W. 148th St.
	Gardena, CA.  90249

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Oct 86 19:27:34 est
From: <munnari!RSBS0.anu.oz!STRASSER@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Subject: Problems Reading AUX: with Turbo Pascal

We are trying to use a Turbo Pascal program to read information from the
AUX port sent by a piece of equipment which has been used in the field and
whose data are saved.  The machine dumps its data as 60-character records of
numbers.  Each new record (including the first one) is preceded by 'A' and
a carriage return (NO linefeed), and the end-of-transmission marker is a 'Z'.

The problem is that DOS is giving (apparently random) "Read fault error
reading device AUX" errors.  It was doing this with a Read( Aux, Ch )
statement and when DOS function 03 (Auxiliary input) is used directly with
the MsDos procedure.  MODE has been used (MODE COM1:1200) to set the baud
rate on the port.  Sometimes the DOS errors occur before anything is sent,
sometimes in the middle of the data (from which we can sometimes retry, but
usually not), and sometimes not at all.

We don't know much about these nasty DOS errors, or how to avoid them.  Any
help would be very much appreciated.

Mike Strasser
Dept. of Environmental Biology
Research School of Biological Sciences
Australian National University
G.P.O. Box 475
Canberra City  A.C.T.  2601
Australia

	 CSNET  :  strasser@rsbs0.anu.oz@csnet-relay.CSNET
	ARPANET	:  strasser%rsbs0.anu.oz@seismo.CSS.GOV
		   decvax!mulga!anucsd!rsbs0!strasser@berkley.ARPA
	BITNET	:  strasser%rsbs0.anu.oz@seismo.CSS.GOV at wiscvm
		   strasser%rsbs0.anu.oz@seismo.CSS.GOV at psuvax1

             (one of these 'ere things may work --^)

------------------------------

From: "Roger Fajman"  <RAF%NIHCU.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 86  23:36:18 EDT
Subject:  PC-Compatible Laptops With Modems

I am looking for an IBM PC compatible laptop machine to be used
primarily for communications.  I have tried the Toshiba 1100 Plus and
liked it quite well, except for one thing:  the internal 1200 bps
modem will not transmit a break signal and my host computer requires
them.  The Zenith Z-181 doesn't seem so bad, but the people at the
local Heath-Zenith store know nothing about the modem and do not have
one that I can try.  I have seen the IBM PC Convertible, but do not
like the fact that its modem is not Hayes-compatible and the memory
is restricted to 512K.  The Sharp and Datavue machines have been
mentioned to me, but I have not had an opportunity to try them.  Any
suggestions?

[Beware that many lap top serial ports are not compatible with the
standard IBM serial port. Check first that your favorite communications
program will run with the lap top in question. -wab]

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------