[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V5 #97

Info-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU (Info-IBMPC Digest) (11/02/86)

Info-IBMPC Digest    Saturday, November 1, 1986    Volume 5 : Issue 97

This Week's Editor: Richard Gillmann

Today's Topics:

           26 lines on IBM-PC color graphics (CGA) adaptor
                      Epsilon EEL Code (2 msgs)
                      TYPEing Wildcards (5 msgs)
                     Bad Track 0 Recovery Method
                FinalWord II from Mark of the Unicorn
                               MicroTex
                    Re: Technical Word Processing
                 IHC.C Intel Hex to Binary Conversion
                       ShareWare 3D Spreadsheet
             NEC uPD replacement for Intel 8087 Math Chip
                     Multilingual Word Processing
                         Mail Program Wanted
                          AT Dir Delay Query
                     Disk Block Allocation Query
                        Help on 2nd disk drive
                    Booting from hard disk problem
      Same program but different results from floppy/hard disk!
                     JRamIII and Electronic Arts
                          Unix Shell Wanted
                         Postscript questions
                         AST SuperSpool query
         BASIC to C, PASCAL, or FORTRAN 77 translator Wanted
                Help needed in recovering BASICA files
                          New C86 C compiler

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 86 13:14:14 PST
From: Ya'akov_Miles%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: 26 lines on IBM-PC color graphics (CGA) adaptor

On page 305 of the "PC Magazine", July 1986, issue is an article
entitled "Status Symbols for Your PC", in which is described a
program which displays caps-lock/numeral-shift status on the 26th
line (?!) of the CGA output.  Apparently, this program reprograms
the 6845 chip to display 26 lines instead of the regular 25 lines,
and the IBM cga adaptor has enough memory to display all 26 lines.

My question is, does anybody have a program which will allow you
to create and use the 26th line on a Color Graphics display, with
normal scrolling enabled?  The article in "PC-Magazine" indicates
that the 26th line is implemented as a terminate-and-stay-resident
program which seizes the INT 10h (video interrupt) interrupt.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 28 Oct 86 20:04:33-EST
From: Joseph M. Newcomer <Joe.Newcomer@C.CS.CMU.EDU>
Subject: My Epsilon Library
To: info-ibmpc@B.ISI.EDU

I've gotten several requests of the form "gee, we are both on the net,
can't you just mail/make available for FTP/submit to info-ibmpc those
files instead of this business with mailing you diskettes?".  The
answer is that my PC is not on the network except via a 1200-baud
link.  Do the arithmetic and it is several hours' of kermit time
to ship the library.  If some good soul would want to do this, I have
no objection to having this placed in the info-ibmpc library, but
to try to keep a library of this size up-to-date on a remote host
is quite hard.  It is simply easier for me to always ship out the
latest version of my source as an integral unit than to try to update
across a very slow (and somewhat unreliable) link.  Besides, if I
know who is using it I can probably send out update notices (probably
as diff-style listings) at very little cost to myself so be able to
keep users updated (I really don't like to abandon software; I have
this compulsion to support it).  I have become fairly disenchanted with
electronic mail, since none of the systems I have access to have
particularly good mail systems or easy ways to make hardcopy of useful
information.
				joe

------------------------------

Date: Fri 31 Oct 86 13:00:36-PST
From: James S. Storey <FAT.STOREY@Sierra.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: EEL code for Fortran and Pascal modes
To: info-ibmpc@B.ISI.EDU

I am sending a number of files which make up a Fortran and a Pascal mode
for Epsilon (I have V3.01).  The files are: FOR_LOAD.E, FOR_MODE.E,
FOR_EXT.E, FOR_MENU, PAS_LOAD.E, PAS_MODE.E, PAS_EXT.E, and PAS_MENU.
I attempted to make them somewhat user friendly,
with some prompts and an on-line menu, but have not had time to document
everything, so the source code is the only complete description of what the
commands do.  This should be usable by anyone with a version of Epsilon
that supports EEL code, but will probably be most useful to people with
some familiarity of EEL, who can customize the code to their particular
whims.

Because I often use the process window, and like to have memory available,
I set up the commands to be read in only when a Fortran (or Pascal) program
is being edited, similar to the auto-load stuff on UNIX Emacs.  Thus, when
the commands are not used, they are not loaded.  The Fortran commands will be
auto-loaded whenever a file with the extension .f or .for is edited, and
the Pascal commands with .p or .pas.  In my system, I use a similar auto
leaner than the standard configuration.

To set up the Fortran mode, the following files must be installed.  First,
the file FOR_LOAD.E must be compiled and loaded into the basic Epsilon.  I
suggest saving the state, rather than loading this file every time.  Next,
set up a subdirectory \epsilon\modes, and compile the files FOR_MODE.E and
FOR_EXT.E, with the *.B output in this subdirectory.  Also, copy the file
FOR_MENU into this subdirectory.  The file FOR_LOAD.E assumes that the
auto-load files are in the subdirectory "C:\EPSILON\MODES".  If a different
subdirectory will be used, lines 17 and 18 should be changed.  If the menu is
in a different subdirectory, change line 12 of FOR_EXT.E.  Similar steps will
set up the Pascal mode, using the PAS files instead of the FOR files.

There are two levels of complexity available.  The first takes care of
indenting and several other minor chores.  For the Fortran mode, this is in
the file FOR_MODE.  The more complex mode is a template system, setting up a
SUBROUTINE outline or a DO loop outline, for example.  These commands are in
the file FOR_EXT.  If this extension is not desired, the auto-load command
"fort_mode()" should be altered, deleting the line

		load_commands(FOR_EXT);

The organization of the Pascal mode is similar.  For the extension commands,
a new prefix key CRTL-] is defined.  This is intended to be analagous to the
prefix key CTRL-[.  The key sequence CTRL-] CTRL-] will call up an on-line
menu of the available completions of the CTRL-].

For those who are not put off by EEL code, I have implemented a command which
prompts for and completes the Fortran or Pascal mode commands.  However,
this requires modifying the source code of the file complete.e.  I did not
want these modes to be unusable by people who do not want to mess with
the source code, so the files supplied have these commands - fort_named() and
pas_named() - as comments.  For the adventureous types, the following
modifications are needed.  First, remove the comment characters /* and */
surrounding the commands fsub_match(), get_fsub(), get_fsub_index(), and
fort_named() in FOR_EXT.E (similarly for the Pascal mode).  Next, in the
Epsilon source file COMPLETE.E, make the following two changes:

1) Line 29: change

	int i = 0, j, num_match = 0;

	int i = strlen(trystr), j, num_match = 0;

2) Before every call to comp_read(), add the line

	res[0]=0;

(8 occurances).  The first change allows a partially formed string to be
passed to comp_read, so the command completed will already have the prefix
"fort-" or "pas-".  The second change sets this initial string to NULL, so
the existing commands operate the same.  Once these changes are made, and
the whole thing is recompiled, the completion is invoked by ALT-].  The
command is similar to the ALT-X command, prompting for fortran or pascal
commands and completing.

I have used both formats for about 9 months now, and I think I have cleaned
up all the major bugs.  One minor bug that creeps in now and then is that
the new keytable associated with the prefix key CTRL-] seems to have bindings
which I never asked for.  So, when a key which is not defined is pressed,
odd things sometimes happen.  These have always been benign, and I have not
had the time to track down what is happening.  If anyone does manage to fix
this, I would appreciate it if they would let me know what the problem is.

I grant full right to anyone to use and modify these programs, subject to
to conditions of the modified Lugaru code in the *_LOAD.E files.  I would
appreciate hearing about any good extensions any bugs found, especially if
the cure has been found as well.  I will be losing this computer account as I
move into the wild world of industry, so if there are any questions or
suggestions, the best way to contact me is by U.S. mail, at

	James S. Storey
	Teknekron, C.S.D.
	2121 Allston Way
	Berkeley, CA, 94704
	(415) 548-4100

[STOREY.EEL has been added to the library. -rag]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 27 Oct 86 16:00:44-PST
From: Jim Celoni S.J. <Celoni@Score.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: TYPEing Wildcards
To: Info-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU

msmith@umass asked Info-IBMPC how to TYPE a filespec with wildcards.

Just COPY the file specification (with wildcards) to the console:
	COPY *.doc CON

Or if you want paged output, try this more generally useful trick:
	FOR %F IN (*.DOC) DO TYPE %F | MORE
This should run MORE once on the output of the FOR; this approach
should work where FOR ... DO MORE <%F might fail.  +j

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 86 20:41:54 est
From: catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu (Tony Catone)
To: INFO-IBMPC@b.isi.edu

>  Date:     Sat, 25 Oct 86 01:18 EDT From:
> netmgr%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Network Manager, Hampshire College)
> Subject:  DOS Type Matching Characters
>
> 	Does anyone know the patch to PCDOS 3.1 which would allow TYPE to use
> wildcards?
> 	Thanks.
>
> 		-- Michael Smith
>  BITNET:   msmith@umass or netmgr@umass CSNET:    msmith%hamp@umass-cs
> INTERNET: msmith%umass.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu TELEX:    4996550

I have never heard of the patch you refer to, but the same effect is easily
accomplished with standard DOS commands.  The copy command accepts wildcards,
and can be directed to copy files to the console; for example, "copy *.* con:"
will copy all files in the current subdirectory to the screen.  Although the
type command will not accept wildcards, DOS's for loops can be used
interactively.  Thus, "for %a in (*.*) do type %a" will type each file in the
current subdirectory, one after another.  In general, it's best not to patch
commands when other (standard) strategies will suffice.  The only limitation I
can see is that piping through a filter, such as more, seems not to work with
the above commands.

                                                 - Tony Catone

ARPAnet : catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu
          Catone@Wharton-10.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 1986 13:58:38 EST
From: Koji Okazaki <KOJI@A.ISI.EDU>
To: netmgr%UMass.Bitnet@WISCVM.WISC.EDU, Info-ibmpc@B.ISI.EDU

Although the DOS TYPE command does not handle wildcards, COPY does, so you
can do this for the same effect:

		COPY wildcard_expression CON

This copies all expression matched files to the console, which is what you
want.  For example, to "type" all files in your directory that start with
"FOO", do this: COPY FOO*.* CON

------------------------------

Date: 1986 Oct 29   23:26 EDT
From:   Bob Babcock    <PEPRBV%CFATA1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
To:  <Info-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU>

Instead of trying to patch the type command to allow wild cards, why
not just COPY to CON, or have a batch file called T.BAT with the
command COPY %1 CON.  This should be sufficient unless you want to
redirect the output.

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 27 Oct 86 8:47:15 EST
From:     "Lawrence D. Sher" <sher@j.bbn.com>
To:       Info-IBMPC@b.isi.edu
Subject:  Bad Track 0 Recovery Method

A bad, IBM-supplied, high-density diskette drive scratched several of my
diskettes.  The result was that track 0 would suddenly become unreadable
rendering the diskette utterly useless.  FORMAT A: said "Track 0 bad, media
unusable".  I have now discovered a way to fully recover all data from the
diskette.  The method relies on two facts which I did not know--does everyone
else in the world know these things except for me?  (a) DISKCOPY (at least
under DOS 3.1) not only works on a 1-floppy system but it does not check the
integrity of the source diskette.  (b) The File Allocation Table (FAT) is
duplicated (!!), and the two copies of it are on opposite sides of the
diskette, so physical damage to one side only leaves you with a valid FAT.
The following steps are for a high-density (1.2 Mb) diskette.

1. Use DISKCOPY to create a copy of the bad diskette (the "source") on a good
diskette (the "target").  All recovery operations are directed toward making
this target diskette a copy of the undamaged source diskette.

2. Assuming that sector 0 is bad, copy sector 0 from any other good diskette to
sector 0 of the target.
  It appears as if all sector 0's are the same (the "boot" sector).  I used the
Norton Utilities to do this, but even that is not straightforward: Norton will
not accept the target if it has a bad sector 0, so you cannot even start it up.
So you simply start it with any random good diskette, then switch diskettes.
To copy sector 0, make a change to anything in sector 0 of a good diskette,
then switch to the target before writing the change.  Of course, you then have
to change it back on the target.  This devious plan is a workaround for
missing functionality in the Norton Utilities.

3. Make sure that sectors 1-7 (1st copy of FAT) are a duplicate of 8-14 (2nd).
  There appears to be no easy way to do this using the Norton Utilities, but I
found that simply asking to see the various sectors revealed the bad ones,
since Norton checks some aspect of data integrity before showing you each
sector.  To actually make the changes using Norton, you have to use PrtScrn to
make a printed copy of the good sector, say #8, then type this data into the
corresponding sector (here #1).  Note: As documented in the Norton manual,
unless you start up Norton with a /p switch, or use alt-F2 after it is started,
you may not be able to use PrtScrn.

It is interesting to note that this whole recovery operation could be
automated.  Is there a utility that does it?  From their ads, it would appear
as if Disk Mechanic (MLI Microsystems, (617)926 2055) would make steps 2 and 3
much easier, but I have not used it.

[I have used Disk Mechanic and I'm sure it could also be used, but I
doubt that it would be any easier.  DM is powerful, but peculiar and
buggy.  It should also be noted that the FORMAT command can easily
give spurious Bad Track 0 errors because of the notorious BIOS bug
that makes some combinations of BIOS/FORMAT versions sensitive to
the FORMAT program load address.  -rag]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 86 20:42:12 est
From: catone@dsl.cis.upenn.edu (Tony Catone)
Subject: FinalWord II from Mark of the Unicorn

> Date: Thu 23 Oct 86 19:59:14-EDT From: Joseph M. Newcomer
> <Joe.Newcomer@C.CS.CMU.EDU> Subject: MicroTex
> will do my job.  At least A-W attempts to provide support, which is more
> than I can say for Mark of the Unicorn, which has sent me one fix for one of
> the dozens of problems I have reported over the last year.

We use Mark of the Unicorn products (FinalWord II, PC/Intercom) extensively in
my office, and have found the technical support to be admirable.  They
maintain a pleasant and courteous phone support service (alas, without a toll
free 800 number, but you can't have everything), along with a dial-up bulletin
board and periodical newsletter, both of which report known bugs and fixes,
answer common questions, etc.  While prior version of FinalWord did have
significant difficulties and limitations, the latest (FinalWord II version
2.01) is a significant upgrade both in functionality and ease of use, and is
the best program for driving laser printers that I have seen this side of Tex
(we use it with an Apple LaserWriter, and almost no one uses Mac printing
software anymore because the FinalWord output looks so much nicer).

Standard disclaimer applies.  I have no connection with Mark of the Unicorn,
but am simply a satisfied user of their products.

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 86 07:58:53 EST
From: hplabs!hao!noao!hsi!tankus@ucbvax.berkeley.edu (Ed Tankus)
To: noao!B.ISI.EDU!Info-IBMPC
Subject: Re: Technical Word Processing

You might want to take a look at a product called "EXACT". It is a memory
resident word processor from TSSI that can be invoked from within ANY word
processor.

You simply invoke the program (hot key, I believe) while in the WP, do your
thing, exit, and the text or whatever you created is placed in the body of
your document right at the point from where you left off.

Price is about $500 retail. I have info, demo disks, etc. Just send your USnail
address and I'll send everything along.

Cheers!

-- Ed.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 86 04:48:20 PST
From: Ya'akov_Miles%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: IHC.C Intel Hex to Binary Conversion

                This program converts between Intel HEX and
                standard BIN (ie COM) files.
Usage:
                        IHC     infile.XXX outfile

                where   infile  = name of file to convert
                        .XXX    = extension, either BIN or HEX
                                  this MUSt be present

                        outfile = name of converted file to be output

Language:

        Microsoft "C" version 4.00

[IHC.C has been added to the info-ibmpc lending library. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 30 Oct 86 12:33:37-PST
From: Bruce Buzbee <BUZ@SRI-KL.ARPA>
Subject: ShareWare 3D Spreadsheet
To: info-ibmpc@B.ISI.EDU

If anyone is interested there is a user supported (shareware) 3 dimensional
spreadsheet called QubeCalc on SIMTEL-20 (in the PD:<MSDOS.SPREADSHEET>
directory).  Since I am directly associated with The FormalWare Co. (who
are marketing it) this is simply a "statement of availability" and I
will keep all opinions to myself.

                                     - Bruce

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 86 20:01:02 PST
From: Ya'akov_Miles%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
To: info-ibmpc@USC-ISIB.ARPA
Subject: NEC uPD replacement for Intel 8087 Math Chip

I have heard conflicting rumours about NEC supplying a CMOS
replacement/enhancement for the Intel 8087 math coprocessor
Specifically, the NEC math coprocessor was rumoured to
handshake with the NEC "V20" uPD 70108 co-processor in such
a way as to result in enhanced performance over the Intel
8087 math chip in an identical configuration.  Does anybody
know if the NEC math coprocessor to the "V20" has been
released, and if so, where can I buy it, and for how much?
Can I get an 8 mHz model to go with my 8 mHz "V20" CPU

Also, does NEC supply a 10 mHz version of the "V20" chip?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 1986  14:07:37 EDT
From:  FAC0395%UOFT01.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Joe Feustle)
Subject: Multilingual Word Processing

I just received an ad for INTERWORD, a multilingual word processor
capable of text in the following:  Arabic, English, French, German,
Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Icelandic,
Finnish, Farsi, Russian, and Bulgarian.  Not all are available in one
processing package but are grouped together such as :Russian, English,
Bulgarian.  Prices range from $395 (discounted to $335) to $495
(discounted to $445) depending  on the number of languages.  The
program supports the usual dot matrix, daisy wheel and laser printers,
and color, monochrome and ega boards.  For more information, contact:

     Computers Anyware, Inc.
     800 Greensboro Drive, Suite 304
     McLean, Virginia 22102
     Telephone (703)442-7910
               1-800-262-WORD

     Telex: 901020 ANYWARE UD

The usual disclaimers... but I wonder if the hard disk version prints
the same as the floppy...

J. Feustle  BITNET:FAC0395@UOFT01, FAX0063@UOFT02
Foreign Languages
Univ. of Toledo

------------------------------

To: info-ibmpc@a.isi.edu
Subject: Mail Program Wanted
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 86 01:26:29 -0500
From: Henry Mensch <henry@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>

I have a PC AT on the internet (it uses Romkey's MIT PC/IP package for
networking activity and is connected with a 3com card) and am
interested to know if there are any mail systems which exist for the
PC AT running PC DOS.

Henry Mensch / <henry@athena.mit.edu> / ..!mit-eddie!mit-athena!henry

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 27 Oct 86 14:42:05 est
From: Nathaniel Polish <polish%lexington@columbia.edu>
To: info-ibmpc@b.isi.edu
Subject: AT Dir Delay Query

I have noted two very different modes of behavior on AT disks.  On a
real AT (6mhz with 20 meg CMI) the first DIR command issued takes a
moment to return the free space available on the disk.  During the
wait, the busy light flickers.  I assume the this is a read of the
FAT.  Subsequent DIRs or other calls to DOS int21hex Ah=36hex for free
space return virtually instantaneosly.  This happens until a CHKDSK is
done and then the next DIR takes a while.  Ok, this is consistant with
the FAT being cashed somewhere and CHKDSK clears the cashe.

When I use some clones (mine in particular), I get the lengthly
version of the behavior on EACH and every DIR.  This is as if
something is turned off.  I have observed this behavior on several
other clones.  On DIRs it is not all that bad; but it seems to cause
programs like Epsilon to take forever at swapping.

Note that I am using a PC's Limited AT (8mhz) with a Seagate 4051 disk
using DOS 3.0.

Is there some DOS option that I have turned off? or is there a better
explanation?

Thanks,
Nat Polish
ARPA:	polish@columbia.edu
UUCP:	...seismo!columbia!polish

------------------------------

Date: Wed 29 Oct 86 13:19:51-PST
From: Douglas Edwards <EDWARDS@SRI-STRIPE.ARPA>
Subject: Disk Block Allocation Query
To: info-ibmpc@B.ISI.EDU

I'd like to have a utility that will create pointers to previously
unused "blocks" (sectors or clusters) of disk space, and allow these
pointers to be followed to load these blocks into memory with a
minimum of disk access time.  Books on database implementation, FORTH
implementation, etc., all assume that such utilities are available.
And I'd like to do this without corrupting the MS-DOS file
system--preferably by treating all the allocated blocks as a file.  It
should be possible to deallocate a block, also, and get it removed
from the file.

The problem is that DOS doesn't provide any obvious way to do this.  I
would prefer to avoid the use of ROM-BIOS or direct modification of
the FAT if possible (but I will resort to such things if necessary).
I had thought of using the random and sequential read-record and
write-record functions of DOS, with the record size set to the size of
the desired block (a whole cluster or sector), but even if that worked
for allocation, I don't see how it would work for deallocation.

What is the least crude approach to writing such a disk utility?  *Is*
there a solution within DOS?

------------------------------

To: ots!rice!Info-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 86 18:16:27 CST
From: tness1!hcsjgh%ots.UUCP@rice.edu (Greg Hackney)
Subject: Help on 2nd disk drive

Scenario:

IBM-XT Clone, Seagate 20MB, Western Digital Controller.

Question:

Can I add a MicroScience 10MB on the same controller. And, do
I have to set switches on either the hard disk, controller, or
mother board? I have no documentation, money, or friends.

Progress:

I can get either disk to work alone with the controller, but
when I put either disk in the center bus connector, the disk
light(s) stay on.

Help !!!

Please reply directly with a copy to the net.

Greg Hackney
UUCP: ihnp4!tness1!hcsjgh
ARPA: tness1!hcsjgh%ots.UUCP@rice.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 86 12:59:44 O
From: Henry Nussbacher  <HANK%BARILVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Booting from hard disk problem
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.ARPA

I'm not really sure if I can supply enough information but here goes:

I am booting off a 20M hard disk in an ITT Xtra.  Almost every time I
get an 'IPL BOOT ERROR' and am forced to hit ctl-alt-del to restart
the boot.  Sometimes I have to do it 3 or 4 times before DOS finally comes
up.  Once DOS is up all is fine.  No errors.  I even run DSKWATCH in the
background to watch out for me.  Sometimes DOS comes straight up with no
ctl-alt-del's needed.  This problem only occurs at power up time.

I have tried to experiment with the temperature in the room (its almost
as if the hard disk needs to warm up a bit).  But I have been unsuccessful
in reproducing anything at certain temperatures.

I have not poked around to see who the hard disk is made by.  Has anyone
seen anything like this and can they make recommendations?

Thanks,
Hank

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 1986  19:48:07 EDT
From:  FAC0395%UOFT01.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Joe Feustle)
Subject: Same program but different results from floppy/hard disk!
To:  info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa

I am currently using a word processing program, Nota Bene (closely
related to X/Y-Write), on an ITT-Xtra.  The odd part of it is that I
get different printing from my FX-85, depending on whether I run the
program from the floppy drive (prints just fine) or from the hard disk
(forces the printer into the compressed mode and reduces the height of
the letter.  To the best of my knowledge, the program is exactly the
same on hard disk as on floppy.  Any ideas, suggestions?  I love the
program, but hate to have to boot the floppy version every time I want
to print.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 86 00:52:20 est
From: "Michael R. Volow" <ecsvax!mvolo%mcnc.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: JRamIII and Electronic Arts
To: info-ibmpc%usc-isib.arpa@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

When I tried to run Electronic Art's "Music Construction Set" on my
IBM-PC (2 DSDD, Plantronics video board) with a JRamIII/CSS EMS board
(combined ram 1.2 meg), this non-DOS recreational program would not
boot.  Or rather it boots, the Electronic Arts graphic logo appears,
then fills, and then the floppy keeps spinning forever, requiring a
hardware reset.  No options of the accompanying JRam initialization
software would change this, including the 720K option and the -j
(board ignored) option.  The program ran fine when I removed the
JRamIII temporarily and also ran on a compatible (Datavue).  I called
Tall Tree systems who makes the JRamIII, and they seemed to be
familiar with this problem -- implying that there was an acknowledged
incompatibility between their memory board and Electronic Arts
programs.  At Tall Tree's suggestion, reconfiguring the bank select
register from F800 (SW 1,6 on) either to E200 (SW 3,5 on - best) or
E100 (SW 4,5 on - fair) allowed running about 70% of the time.  Cold
booting with the -j option to jboot.bin, followed by warm
booting into the Electronic Art's program slightly increased the
reliability of running the program.  The Tall Tree tech support person
implied that they had discussed this type of problem in the past with
Electronic Arts, but that there might be a change in the future.

Have any of you in netland encountered any similar incompatibilities
between Electonic Arts software and Tall Tree boards?  Or any other
programs incompatible with the JRamIII?  The memory on my board checks
out OK, and other programs run well.  I assume that the problem lies
in Electronic Arts calling some address above DOS.

Any information would be appreciated.  Will summarize responses

--Mike Volow

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 86 09:10:59 EST
From: cdx39!jc%adelie.UUCP@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
Subject: Unix Shell Wanted

Earlier today, a user here came to me and asked if I
knew where to find a Unix shell that runs on PC/DOS.
I told him that I didn't, but I knew some people who
might, and I'd get back to him.

Does anyone out there have such a beast?  Is is even
doable to any great degree of similitude?

[There's a company called Westin, I believe, that makes such shells
for DOS.  -rag]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1986 11:56 PDT
From:   "Jeffrey Sicherman"  <JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Postscript questions
To:  <INFO-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU>

  Could anybody out there familiar with Postscript tell me:
1.  Is any license from Adobe required to produce a package that
    creates postscript programs or only for printers, lasers, etc
    that actually produce hardcopy pictures.
2.  Are there any pc-based drivers, especially available in source
    form, that are available in either the public domain or at a
    reasonable cost (reasonable being .LE.$300)
3.  Does anybody know if the Info-Postscript digest/conference is
    still alive. I have sent two requests to be added to there
    (info-postscript-request@sushi.stanford.edu) and have never
    received an acknowledgement or any publications. Has the
    Laser-lovers conference taken over their function?

Jeffrey Sicherman (JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Fri 31 Oct 86 13:41:22-EST
From: Thomas.Finholt@C.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: AST SuperSpool query

We recently purchased some Advantage boards from AST. As part of the
package, we received some software to create a printer spooler, called
SuperSpool.

We installed SuperSpool on a wide variety of machines without any problems.
Except, it does not work on one IBM AT equipped with a Professional
Graphics Adapter. When SuperSpool is initialized, the video display
on the AT goes blank (otherwise, everything seems to work fine).

The people at AST claim that SuperSpool uses an address which conflicts
with the video address of the PGA (this is the only product where this
conflict exists). Further, since IBM no longer sells/supports the PGA,
AST has no intention of fixing this bug.

Has anyone else grappled with this problem? Can anyone recommend a
better (preferably public domain) print spooler?

Thank you.
Finholt@C.CS.CMU.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 86 19:21:31 EST
From: ins_ammm%jhunix.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: BASIC to C, PASCAL, or FORTRAN 77 translator Wanted

        I would like to know if there is out there a translator that
translates MSBASIC programs for the IBM/compatible into PASCAL, Fortran77, or
C (preferably C). I am willing to pay the price of a commercial
package if it exists.

        The BASIC I am using is MSBASIC, the version that works with
IBMs, I am also using a compiler rather than an interpreter.
        Please respond, because a 58K file is waiting to be useful.
        Thank you all.
                                                                Mazen MOKHTAR

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 31 Oct 86 19:38:04 cet
To:  INFO-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU.ARPA
From:  CHADM1%UCONNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Help needed in recovering BASICA files.

Can anyone help me to recover some BASIC files saved on diskettes which
no longer load under BASICA? These files were backed up both on the same
and a different diskette, and yet all copies are now unloadable.
Also, the directory appears corrupted (on both diskettes) in the same
way(although one is not, I repeat, not) a DISKCOPY of the other (diskette).
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Carl David

------------------------------

Date: 1986 Nov 1  01:52 EDT
From: Bob Babcock <PEPRBV%CFATA1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
To: <Info-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU>
Subject: New C86 C compiler

Computer Innovations is advertising a new release of their C compiler.
Has anyone had any experience with the new release?  They claim a 70%
speed improvement for the sieve benchmark, but what happens with a real
program of significant size?  I've been quite satisfied with version 2.3,
in fact, it's the only compiler I can recall using (micro or mainframe)
which has not tripped me up with bugs.

Usual disclaimers apply; I'm a satisfied user with no other connection
with Computer Innovations.

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------