[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V5 #98

Info-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU (Info-IBMPC Digest) (11/06/86)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Wednesday, 5 November 1986      Volume 5 : Issue 98

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Topics:
			Basic to C Conversion
			AT Dir Delay (3 Msgs.)
       Microsoft EXEPACK ver 4.03 and LINK/HIGH Incompatibility
			Booting From Hard Disk
	 Quick Reference List to SIMTEL20's MSDOS Directories
		 80Mb Hard Disk Under Xenix (2 Msgs.)
		     Statistics Packages for PC's
			       PC-Shell
			PC Serial Card Jumper
			  Serial Port and AT
		       Recovering BASICA Files
			  RF77 is not RATFOR
			  DOS Wildcard Type
			      PD Spooler
Today's Queries:

	     COMMAND.COM Patch for Echo OFF Under DOS 3.1
			  MS Word Thesaurus
		      Address of Makers of KCCDS
			    3D Spreadsheet
		      AZPC2 and Hayes 1200 Modem
		      3.1 Hard Disk Boot Problem
		 File Comparison Utilities (2 Msgs.)
	       Selective COPY, DEL, and TYPE (2 Msgs.)
			       PCWATCH

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 86 18:36:31 cst
From: mlw@ncsc.ARPA (Williams)
Subject: Basic to C Conversion

Of course, now that I go to find an ad, I fail, but there's a language
conversion utility called BASTOC (probably has some hyphens in it some-
where) that is supposed to convert BASIC to C.  A listing of C-related
tools in the February 86 Computer Language says:
     BASTOC: - language conversion utility
             - PC/MS-DOS environment
             - Source code is available as a separate product
             - $350 (list, I assume)
             - from JMI Software Consultants
                    904 Sheble Lane
                    Spring House, PA 19477
                    (215)628-0846
             - C-compiler compatibility: unknown.
I have seen ads for this product (usually 1/4-pagers or smaller) but
have never read a review nor known anyone who tried to use the product.
This is not to say reviews are not available -- I haven't been interested
and could easily have passed over articles about BASTOC.  As you may
guess, no affiliations, endorsements, etc. etc.

Mark L. Williams
(mlw@ncsc.arpa)

------------------------------

To: polish%lexington@columbia.edu, info-ibmpc@b.isi.edu
Subject: AT Dir Delay
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 86 21:27:26 EST
From: James R. Van Zandt <jrv@mitre-bedford.ARPA>

> I have noted two very different modes of behavior on AT disks.  On a
> real AT (6mhz with 20 meg CMI) the first DIR command issued takes a
> moment to return the free space available on the disk.  ...
> Subsequent DIRs or other calls to DOS int21hex Ah=36hex for free
> space return virtually instantaneously.  This happens until a CHKDSK is
> done and then the next DIR takes a while.  Ok, this is consistent with
> the FAT being cached somewhere and CHKDSK clears the cache.

Yes, if the number of file buffers is set large enough (with the
BUFFERS= command in CONFIG.SYS) the whole directory fits in the buffers
and the system doesn't have to access the disk.  I've read that this is
the right value to use.  However, I don't like the idea of switching
floppies, asking for a new directory, and getting the old one again.
Could it even write on the new disk using the directory from the old
one?

                                 - Jim Van Zandt

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Nov 86 12:55:28 CST
From: MATHPG1%UMCVMB.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Rich Winkel UMC Math Department)

The size of DOS's disk cache is set by the BUFFERS= command in CONFIG.SYS.
If it is not specified, it defaults to 0.  So you should create a
CONFIG.SYS file in the root directory of your clone and put the line
BUFFERS=20
in it.  While you're at it, you might as well include 'FILES=20', to increase
the maximum number of open files to something reasonable.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 86 19:18:06 PST
From: Ya'akov_Miles%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

The IBM-PC/at bios supports INT 13h, AH=16h, read DISK CHANGE status.

Note that a true IBM PC/at is capable  of  sensing whether you have
changed the  disk  since  the  last  read.    Note  that  INT 13h,
AH=16h tells DOS if a disk was changed,  and  if  so,  which  disk
it was.  Also please note that the clone bios/hardware may be unable
to detect whether the disk has been changed, returning error or don't
know for this function (like on the IBM-PC/xt)  If DOS can find out
for sure that the disk was not  changed,  it will use the FAT still
in memory from a previous disk read, else DOS has to assume that the
disk has been changed, and therefore it has to re-read the FAT and
directory all over again.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Nov 86 14:02:16 PST
From: Ya'akov_Miles%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Microsoft EXEPACK ver 4.03 and LINK/HIGH Incompatibility

I have encountered situations where EXEPACK version 4.03 fails to
recognize that a program is to be loaded /HIGH, therefore it goes
ahead and produces garbage.  The EMERGING SYSTEMS technology PWP.EXE
(supplied with EDIX 5.03) is a prime example of a program which
packs without error messages, but then complains about "No memory"
and dies when you try to run the packed version...

------------------------------

Date: 2 November 1986 18:28:31 CST
From: U14888%UICVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Joseph George)
To:  HANK%BARILVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Booting From Hard Disk

 One problem with certain kinds of hard drives (older Seagates, for one)
is that they have a problem getting the disks up to operating speed quickly
(the sometimes LOUD increasing-pitch whir when you turn your system on is the
sound of the hard drive coming up to speed). The ITT XTRA, so it seems, will
complete its POST (Power On Self-Test) before the drive gets up to speed,
and then hang because it expects a response from the hard drive. After a few
Ctrl-Alt-Del's, the hard drive has finally gotten up to speed to allow an IPL
to take place.  Power the unit on and listen carefully to the drive. The pitch
of noise made by the drive will stabilize when it gets to its correct speed.
My best guess is that its not getting up to speed fast enough for the ITT.

 Simple solution would be, if its under warranty, try to get a replacement
drive, but there's nothing wrong with your system, its just an annoyance.

 Joe George
 U14888@UICVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
 U16881@UICVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

 14842 Wabash, Dolton IL 60419

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 2 Nov 1986  22:28 MST
Sender: KPETERSEN@SIMTEL20.ARPA
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: Quick Reference List to SIMTEL20's MSDOS Directories

Quick reference list to SIMTEL20's PD:<MSDOS.x> directories
as of November 2, 1986 (where 'x' is one of the names below):

ARC-LBR      DESK-ACCESSORY  KEYBOARD      PROLOG        TURBO-PASCAL
ASM-UTIL     DIR-UTIL        LISP          SCREEN        TVX-EDITOR
BASIC        DISK-UTIL       MICRO-EMACS   SPREADSHEET   TXT-UTIL
BBS          FILE-UTIL       MODEM-UTIL    SQ-USQ        VOICE-SYNTH
C-LANGUAGE   FLOWCHART       MUSIC         STARTER
COMPATIBLES  FORTH           PCMAIL        SYSTEM-UTIL
DATABASE     HAM-RADIO       PRINTER-UTIL  TEXT-EDITOR

PD:<MSDOS>MSDOS.CRCLST on SIMTEL20 (the file listing all the filenames,
sizes and CRCs of the PD:<MSDOS.xx> directories) has been updated as
of today.

--Keith

------------------------------

From: ucscc!ucscd.ross@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (98817000)
Subject:  80Mb Hard Disk Under Xenix

>> Date: Sat 25 Oct 86 01:00:54-EDT
>> From: John Romkey <ROMKEY@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
>> Subject: 80Mb Hard Disk Under Xenix

>> I'm trying to get SCO Xenix V to work on an 80Mb Seagate hard disk.
>> Problem is that there aren't any AT disk types even close to the
>> Seagate disk (1024 cylinders, 9 heads). I want to end up with
>> about 8Mb of DOS partition and all the rest Xenix.

>> It comes with some software which makes MS-DOS work with the disk - it
>> rigs the boot block to patch in a modified disk drive type table on
>> boot. (then there's also the driver which makes the disk appear to be
>> 3 separate hard drives to DOS, but that's something else I don't care
>> about). This does work fine with DOS - though you *have* to boot off the
>> hard disk for it to work.

I don't believe the patch to the boot block would work. XENIX gets the
drive parameters from a vector in RAM set up by the ROM BIOS routines
on power-up. The easiest way to support other hard disk types is to
use different ROMs. I work in the technical support dept. of SCO,
and we have customers who are using ROMs from a company called
Golden Bow (2870 Fifth Ave., Suite 201, San Diego, CA 92103) to do just
that. Apparently, Golden Bow's ROMs can get any OS to recognize many
different types of hard disks not listed in the AT ROM table.

Also, the next release of SCO XENIX, version 2.2, will not be limited
to drive types in the ROM table, but will allow the user to enter drive
parameters, so that most any type of disk drive may be used. This version
should be available in the first quarter of 1987.

Disclaimer: I have no connection or association with Golden Bow. I
am also not writing as a representative of The Santa Cruz Operation,
only as a (hopefully) helpful individual.

Ross Oliver
...ucbvax!ucscc!ucscd!ross

------------------------------

To: info-micro@brl-vgr.arpa
Subject: Statistics Packages for PC's
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 86 22:53:58 -0800
From: Rob Kling <kling@ICSE.UCI.EDU>

There are several good statistics packages for the IBM-PC & compatibles.
If I had unlimited mainframe use, I would just use SPSS-X and not fiddle
with a micro. However.....micros do allow the  seductive illusion of greater
control......

There was a recent review of  Systat, SPSS/PC, BMDP, SAS/PC & Statgraphics
in a recent issue of Infoworld (Sept 1, 86).

The last issue of Computers & the Social Sciences reviewed SPSS/PC
& Systat, as did the May 1986 issue of Contemporary Sociology

There is no single "best" package since mainframe users may prefer a micro
package that matches their mainframe package [ease of data transfer, ease of
learning, availability of consultants near at hand, etc.]

That issue can be the dominant consideration for many users.

If someone is trying to choose a generally robust, speedy package with
relatively good data management facilities and relatively few
limits on variables, cases, etc., then Systat & SPSS/PC stand out.

 Systat has a broad array of statistics & includes a general multivartiate
linear hypothesis model for factorial designs, partial factorials,
latin squares, etc. It also includes some cluster analysis, tables,
regression, factor analysis, etc. etc.
Systat's designer (Leland Wilkenson) is fanatical about statistical accuracy.

The package designers fight "count my statistics" wars & SPSS & Systat run
neck & neck.

Systat's advantages over SPSS come in price ($600 list), the fact that
an 8087 is optional, and disk space (about 1.5-2MB for the whole
package, but you can use less of it if you only need a few modules).
You can run SYSTAT on a floppy based machine, if necessary.

SPSS/PC seems to cost about $1200 after you add all the modules, takes
5-7MB of disk, requires an 8087.

Systat has more aggressive site licensing policies and prices than SPSS.

I prefer SPSS's data management facilities, and it is more convenient
for processing a few dozen variables in a concise command. Systat
seems to have been designed with the underlying idea that the user
would be handling only a few variables in each command. Commands can
process more variables (up to 200), but it is clumsier than SPSS in
the current Systat version. SPSS's documentation is really first
class, while Systat's is closer to the more mediocre standard of many
major microcomputer packages.

I am using Systat because it demands less system commitment than SPSS.
I can use it at home & at my office w/o violating the license (use on
one machine at one time).

Systat has a deal where you can obtain an examination copy for $50 to
try out the package.

Systat is at : 2902 Central Street, Evanston Ill    312-864-5670.

I have no connection with Systat other than as a user.

Rob Kling
Information and Computer Science
University of California, Irvine

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 3 Nov 86 16:45 EST
From: CURCI%FSU.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: PC-Shell

PC-SHELL, a shell that operates under PC-DOS, which is patterned after
the Berkeley C-SHELL, is available for $25 (for individuals) including
complete source code from:

        Omega Micro-Consulting
        Attn: Kent Williams
        722 Rundell Street
        Iowa City, Iowa  52240

-raymond curci

[The package looks pretty good. I am delighted to see shareware that
comes with source code. Editorial policy is such that the INFO-IBMPC
source library only distributes public domain code. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: 03-Nov-1986 1847
From: mitton%nac.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM  (Dave Mitton)
Subject: PC Serial Card Jumper

>	Date: Sun, 12 Oct 86 19:03:10 edt
>	From: "Bennett E. Todd III" <ecsvax!bet%mcnc.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
>	Subject: Serial Port and AT
>
>	[In reference to a suspected problem with Mouse Systems Mouse. -ed]
>	On recent IBM Asynch cards I've seen (the ones with the additional
>	jumper block to support being COM2:) there is a jumper as opposed to a
>	DIP block near the middle of the card (the only jumper on the cards
>	I've seen); if you remove this jumper the card works in an AT.
>
>	[Anybody have an explanation of what this jumper does? -ed]

As discussed when the PC-AT first appeared: The two pin jumper in the
middle of the PC Serial card (not to be confused with the new AT
Serial/Parallel card) disables the bus line used in the PC and XT bus
for slot 8 expansion.

This bus line has been redefined in the AT bus to be used for Zero
Wait state indication.  Removing the jumper (labeled J1 in the
schematic, some people mis- read the silk screen to believe this is
J13.  The board I'm looking at right now does not have a printed
number next to the jumper.)  will stop the card from asserting the
wrong signal.  And by most reports, cause it to work in an AT.

The new AT serial card has one important feature, the UART used is an
NS16450.  This is functionally equivalent to the INS8250-B, but has a
much faster chip access time.  Important when used with a faster bus
cycle!

	Dave Mitton.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Nov 86 13:02:37 CST
From: MATHPG1%UMCVMB.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Rich Winkel UMC Math Department)
Subject: Recovering BASICA Files

It sounds like the files were put on the floppy using the BACKUP command.
If so, you should realize they are NOT exact copies of the original files.
Backup inserts a header at the beginning of every file it backs up, to
store the directory from which the file came, the date of creation,
and the attribute byte.  BASIC will choke on the header.
If you want to feed the file into BASIC, you first need to RESTORE it
to a hard disk.  RESTORE will remove the header, so you'll be back to
your original file.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Nov 1986 23:06 PST
From:   "Jeffrey Sicherman"  <JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: RF77 is not RATFOR

  A while ago I enquired about any experience that any other
users might have had with a package called RF77 which claimed
to be an implementation of RATFOR for the ibm pc. I received
several messages which were preliminary in nature: the others
had just acquired it. I have since acquired it myself and
although I have not used it yet, due to hardware problems,
I have read all the documentation. Potential purchasers
should be aware of the following:
  Contrary to the statements and implications of their
promotional material, it is NOT a true RATFOR implementation
as they admit in the supplied documentation. On a discretionary
basis, they have chosen to omit or alter some standard RATFOR
attributes. They clearly state the package is intended for
original development, not porting of old programs.
  While I will probably keep the program on its own merits,
I am very disappointed since a porting was one of the reasons
that I acquired it. Further, I am very annoyed that their
promotional material was highly misleading in both omission
of these issues and the overt statement that it was a RATFOR
for the PC. Lest you be disappointed also, note that the
restocking fee is 25% if you are misled also.
  Jeffrey Sicherman (JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date:     Sun, 2 Nov 86 18:32 EDT
From: netmgr%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Network Manager, Hampshire College)
Subject: DOS Wildcard Type

	I originally posted a query for the DOS 3.1 patch to enable
DOS TYPE to utilize wildcards and several people have responded with the
COPY CON: alternative. I have a program I am trying to modify that
uses the TYPE command, that is why I posted the query. Thanks to all
of those who responded, but I really need to be able to alter
COMMAND.COM and not the program.

	-- Michael Smith

BITNET:   msmith@umass or netmgr@umass
CSNET:    msmith%hamp@umass-cs
INTERNET: msmith%umass.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu
TELEX:    4996550

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 03 Nov 86 13:26:19 CST
From: MATHPG1%UMCVMB.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (Rich Winkel UMC Math Department)
Subject: PD Spooler

Someone asked about a print spooler which wouldn't bomb out when used
with a Professional Graphics Adapter.  I wrote an extremely
compatible print spooler several years ago which I put in the public
domain.  It makes very few assumptions about the machine it is
running in, and I have yet to see a hardware compatibility problem
with it.  It also has an unusual approach to spooling which makes it
sensitive to competing demands for cpu, so it has no effect on the
speed of 'foreground' programs.  It has an adjustable buffer size,
supports both parallel & serial printers, and will spool up to 4
printers at once.  It is called MSPOOL (Multi-spool version 2) and
can be found on many BBS's around the country.  Source code is also
available.

------------------------------

Date:  Tue, 4 Nov 86 08:56 EST
From:  Elefante@RADC-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject:  COMMAND.COM Patch for Echo OFF Under DOS 3.1

Perhaps a year or more ago, Tom Brengle and Ed Nather presented
techniques to modify COMMAND.COM so that MSDOS and PCDOS 2.xx batch
files could be executed without printing ECHO OFF's or prompts until
the batch terminated.  I tried using that approach with MSDOS 3.1 on
a Zenith 248 and have had no luck (even though all the necessary byte
configurations seemed to be present, as they were in 2.xx, and the
patching procedure went without a hitch).  Has anyone had success
with modifying PCDOS's or MSDOS's COMMAND.COM under 3.xx?

Don Elefante

------------------------------

Date: Mon 3 Nov 86 16:44:07-PST
From: Steve Dennett <DENNETT@SRI-NIC.ARPA>
Subject: MS Word Thesaurus

I understand that the latest version of MS WORD incorporates the
"Wordfinder" online thesaurus.  I'd like to hear from someone who has
used this new version whether the thesaurus can be used alone (i.e.,
with other programs) or if it is embedded in MS WORD.  Thanks!

Steve Dennett
dennett@sri-nic.arpa

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 04 Nov 86  09:55 EDT
From:  EKZMS%CUNYVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Address of Makers of KCCDS

I am looking for the Phone number and address of the makers
of KCCDS a multi-language Word processor.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 5 Nov 86 08:23:06-PST
From: Bruce Buzbee <BUZ@SRI-KL.ARPA>
Subject: 3D Spreadsheet

Apparently, the archive of the 3D spreadsheet (QubeCalc) on SIMTEL-20 has
a bad header and can't be de-archived.  Until I get a chance to upload a
good copy you can get it from my directory on the KL.  Just FTP it from
<BUZ> (it's called QUBECALC.ARC).  Make sure you SET TYPE IMAGE before
you GET it.

                                  - Bruce

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 1 Nov 1986 20:38 EDT
From: Prof. Yedidyah Langsam <YDLBC%CUNYVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: AZPC2 and Hayes 1200 Modem
To: <Info-IBMPC@USC-ISIB.ARPA>

Any AZPC2/SIM3278 experts on hand? It seems that azpc2 demands that
switch 6 on the hayes 1200 external modem be in the down position
(i.e. force carrier detect to be true). Other communication programs
either demand that CD be up or do not care.

CLOSE-UP demands that switch 6 be up
azpc2     "       "     "    "  " down and reports that the modem is not ready
                                       unless CD is forced true and thus hangs.
Procomm and IBM3101 emulator don't care.

Is there anyway to get azpc2 to ignore the CD line?? Any help would be
appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: Tue,  4 Nov 86 12:30 EST
From: Paul.Birkel@A.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: 3.1 Hard Disk Boot Problem
CC: Joe.Newcomer <newcomer@SEI.CMU.EDU>

	I've just finished installing a Seagate ST-238 hard disk with
an Adaptec controller (~30 Mb using RLL). But I have a problem. The
configuration won't boot MS-DOS 3.1, 'tho MS-DOS 2.11 boots from the hard
disk just fine (of course it will only use 20 Mb of the disk in a
partition; not a win). I get complaints of a "divide overflow" twice
and then the system hangs. Booting from a floppy with the same system
(IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, COMMAND.COM) works just fine. I've tried versions of
these files dating from ca. February, and ca. June. The first two files
seem to be unchanged in total length, 'tho COMMAND.COM is slightly longer in
the more recent version. Same behavior except that the newer version adds
an extraneous character to the above displayed complaints. I have no
CONFIG.SYS file on the hard disk, everything is left to default.

	BTW, I'm using a Z-151 with 640 Kb and the standard Zenith card set.
(This is the older processor board operating only at 4.77 Mhz.) The 3.1 runs
fine on my sister-in-laws Z-158 (new 2-speed processor, different memory
board) with a different brand hard disk/controller. Is this a controller
problem?

	Until I figure this out and get it fixed I've been using the
following approach: a boot disk in drive A containing the standard system
software, a new CONFIG.SYS with a couple of device drivers, and an
AUTOEXEC.BAT containing:
				c:
				autoexec.bat
The trouble is that while booting fine, and reading the CONFIG.SYS file
correctly, I get to the prompt without invoking the AUTOEXEC.BAT on the
A drive. If I then type {autoexec} to the prompt then the C drive is
correctly logged-in and the autoexec.bat there executes flawlessly. What
have I done wrong, and is there a better way to live 'till I solve my
hard disk boot problem?

	Thanks,

	Paul Birkel
	Dept. of Computer Science
	Carnegie-Mellon University
	Pittsburgh, PA  15213

	(412) 268-3074

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 3 Nov 86 10:23:35 EST
From:     "Lawrence D. Sher" <sher@j.bbn.com>
Subject: File Comparison Utilities

Is there a utility which runs under DOS 3.x for finding differences in very
similar text files, say ones which differ by one line per 50 lines?  The DOS
utility COMP essentially is good only for answering the Yes/No question: Are
the files identical?
				    ARPAnet:  sher@bbn.com
				    MaBell: (617) 497-3426

------------------------------

Date:  5 Nov 1986 12:43:47 PST
From: Richard Gillmann <GILLMANN@B.ISI.EDU>

There are an enormous number of file compare utilities around, commercial,
shareware and freeware.  For some reason, programmers seem to like writing
them.  However, non-programmers don't seem to like buying them.  Anyway, I
have copies of two commercials ones, CMP from White Heron Corp and
Beyond Compare from General Transformation Corp.  Both work fine.  Almost
any BBS with files for downloading will have such programs as shareware
or freeware, too.  The small classified ads in the backs of computer magazines
also will have ads for these programs.  There's one in the Info-IBMPC library
too, but it's in Snobol.  As far as I know, all these programs work fine.

------------------------------

Date:  3 Nov 1986 12:17:38 EST
Subject: Selective COPY, DEL, and TYPE
From: Jim Stevens <Stevens@A.ISI.EDU>

After seeing all of the good responses to "TYPEing Wildcards", I thought
that someone might have an answer to one of my DOS "wish" commands.

Does anyone know how to do selective copies, deletes, or types?  An
example is "SELECTIVE-COPY *.doc A:" which would query me on a file by
file basis before copying a file to drive A;.  Yes, I know about using
the Norton Utility WIPEFILE with the /N option to perform the selective
delete function, but not everyone here has Norton, so they can't use it.
The best type of answer for me would be to do something with standard
DOS, maybe as a bat file or even basic program, instead of getting
source code off of the info-ibmpc lending library and finding someone
with the correct compiler or assembler.

Thanks, Jim

------------------------------

Date:  4 Nov 1986 15:29:33 PST
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@B.ISI.EDU>
To: Jim Stevens <Stevens@A.ISI.EDU>

DOS 3.2 and network packages running on DOS 3.1 come with Microsoft's
xcopy which supports selective copy.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 5 Nov 86 15:51:12 pst
From: cole@sri-unix.ARPA (Susan E. Cole)
Subject: PCWATCH

I got a magazine called Exchange that offers a public domain program,
PCWATCH.EXE, on the IBM EBBS at (305)998-3227.  According to the
article, the program "monitors your computer's activity while your
computer is running -- it lets you 'see' what is happening ...
PCWATCH provides an excellent way for the novice [that's me] to learn
how DOS and BIOS functions are used".

I'd like to get PCWATCH.  According to the article, if I have
LOADRAM.EXE (also on the BBS), I should download PCWATCH.RAM,
PCWATCH.DOC, and ST.EXE.

Well, I actually dialed this BBS (it's in Florida) from California.
You can imagine what kind of connection I got.  I found one of the
files but got hung up trying to download it with XMODEM.  So before
I spend lots more of my company's money, I thought I'd ask:

Is the software from this BBS available anywhere in California?  Or
does someone have this software who can get it to me?

Thanks for any help.

Susan Cole
...!hplabs!sri-unix!cole
cole@sri-unix