[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V5 #101

Info-IBMPC@B.ISI.EDU (Info-IBMPC Digest) (11/18/86)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Monday, 17 December 1986      Volume 5 : Issue 101

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Topics:

			  Compaq Deskpro 386
			  Compaq DIP Switch
		    Ratfor from Logical Decisions
		      Patching DOS 3.1 for COM3
		      Changing from DOS to XENIX
	    NEC Floating Point Companion for V20 Available
			    LPTX (2 Msgs.)
		 EXTNDH.ASM Extends DOS 20 File Limit
	 Patching Zenith's DOS 3.1 to Turn Echo Off (2 Msgs.)
		      Hercules Bios HERCBIOS.ASM
			       Path Bug
		     Solution to the AT dir delay
			DRIVPARM in CONFIG.SYS
		    File Compare Utility DIFF.EXE
	      ARC and ZOO Programs - New FAST Arc/Unarc
	    80386  Motherboard Transplanted to AT Chassis
		 BASIC Files Recovered under DOS 2.0
		    Tim Patterson now at Microsoft
		 PCTOOLS from Central Point Software
Today's Queries:
		      Canon LBP8A1 Laser Printer
			    Memory boards
		  Epson FX-85 Windows Driver Wanted
			 Fastback Competition
			   CBASIC Compiler
			 BITNET-3COM Gateway
		       PC Mouse & MS Word Query
	     ASYST / ILS for Data Acquisition & Analysis
			       PC Hack
		     Intermittent Memory Problems
			  HP-150 Disk Format
		       Detecting Printer Ready
      Using an Irwin 310 tape drive with a Tempest Zenith Z-150
			    123 EGA Driver
		   SuperKey and Slow Screen Updates
	Resident Program Must Detect if COMMAND.COM is Running
		  Writing a Book on 80386 Assembler
			 Streaming Tape Drive

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 86 00:16:14 CST
From: C321724%UMCVMB.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Ferrin Harrison)
Subject: Compaq Deskpro 386

I found an article in "Computer Buyer's Guide and Handbook", issue Nov/Dec,
page 58 on the Compaq Deskpro 386!  It has a 16 MHz 80386 with socket for
an 80287.  1Mb of 32-bit RAM, expandable to 10Mb without using slots, 14Mb
with.  20, 40 and 130Mb disks available.  There are 1 32 bit slots, 4 16/8
and 3 8s, before disks.  With 40 meg, 3 16s and 3 8s, with 130, 2 16s and
3 8s.  1 to 8 Mb 32-bit memory upgrade kits cost $849 to $2999.

Summary of table:
                    Speed in MHz  List Price in $
Compaq Deskpro 80386      16          4 300    -- virtual price sans disk
PC's Limited /80286       16          2 995
"                         12          2 695
"                         10          2 295

The operating systems currently available are MS-Dos 3.x, XENIX V/286 for
$599 and XENIX V/386 to be available in early 1987.

      My purpose in writing this is to give you some heads up time.  Out of
respect to the publishers, I have not given all the details on the devices
and statistics, nor (I hope) have I editorialized.  I am not affiliated with
any of the corporations involved.  I beg the pardon of the owners for the
mention of various trademarks.

      Some addresses for the convenience of the reader:

CBG&H/Back Issues                      Compaq Computer Corp.
PO Box 318                             20333 FM 149
Mt. Morris, IL 61054 0318              Houston, TX 77070
phone 800, 435 0715 or 892 0753        phone 800 231 0900
to order $5 back issues, Visa or MC

You take it from there!
                       Sincerely,
                                 Ferrin

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 11 Nov 86 08:32 PST
From: BRENGLE%OAVAX.MNET.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Compaq DIP Switch

I had the same problem with the AST card.  I could only get the Compaq to
recognize 512K of the 640K installed.  After awhile, I gave up.  Then
recently I sent my machine in the be fixed when the power supply went
south.  An alert technician not only fixed my power supply, but also noticed
that my ROMs where not up to current rev.  What new capability would I
gain by upgrading?  None other than the use of the remaining 128K.
Unfortunately, I can't tell you what the upgrade costs, because I didn't
pay for it.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 11 Nov 86 19:29:34-PST
From: Daniel Davison  <DAVISON@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: Ratfor from Logical Decisions

About two months ago (maybe more) someone posted a note asking about
Ratfor from Logical Decisions of Houston.  If you would like more
info (about use or otherwise) send me mail at either of the addresses
below.

Note: I'm a satisfied user & a friend of the author of the program.

dan davison: best: bchs6@uhupvm1.bitnet, next davison@sumex-aim.arpa
no uucp address, Houston's backbone node is permanently out of action

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 11 November 1986 22:35:26 EST
From: Ralf.Brown@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Patching DOS 3.1 for COM3

There is a quite simple way to get at COM3 from DOS, provided you are able
to live with the use of only two COMx: ports at a time.  This method will
work for any version of DOS, as it involves fooling the ROM BIOS.

The first eight bytes of the ROM BIOS data area (40:0000-40:0007) contain
the base addresses of up to four COM ports.  By exchanging two of the
addresses, you automatically exchange the corresponding ports' numbers, i.e.
if you swap the word at 40:0002 with the word at 40:0004, you swap COM2 and
COM3.  Now simply direct any output that was to have gone to COM3 to COM2
instead.

 ARPA:  RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
 AT&T:  (412) 268-3053 (school)
 Snail: Ralf Brown
        Computer Science Department
        Carnegie-Mellon University
        Pittsburgh, PA 15213

------------------------------

From: osbook@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU (osbook)
Subject: Changing from DOS to XENIX
Date: 12 Nov 86 03:44:28 GMT

I have been asked to show how to set up files to switch automatically
between DOS and XENIX on the same machine.  If you use DOS and XENIX
on your machine and you find these techniques helpful, let me
know via E-mail.

In general, a hard disk that contains both DOS and XENIX will be partitioned
into 4 partitions.
     1) XENIX bad track table (very short)
     2) XENIX root file system
     3) XENIX usr [sic] file system
     4) DOS

This happens when you install XENIX.

At any time, one of these partitions is "active".  If partition 2 is
active, Xenix will boot when you turn on the computer.  If partition
4 is active, DOS will boot when you turn on the computer.

You use the FDISK utility (comes with DOS and XENIX) to change the
active partition.  For example, if XENIX boots automatically, you can
have DOS boot automatically by activating partition 4.  This
automatically deactivates partition 2.

(Note: Some XENIX's, e.g.IBM 2.0, will let you type "DOS" and start
DOS whenever XENIX is ready to boot.  This will start DOS, but it
will not change the active partition.)

The ideal system would be to easily activate one or the other
partition whenever you want; that is, to be able to change from DOS
to XENIX to DOS easily.

Of course, you could do it by hand, using FDISK, but this is a bad
idea.  First, this is not easy enough.  Second, you do not want to be
messing with FDISK!  One false move could wipe out (re-partition)
everything beyond recall.

The solution is to call FDISK using a carefully designed script.
Assuming that the partitions on your disk are as I described above,
here is how you do it.

1) Changing from XENIX to DOS:

Use the following shell script.  This script feeds the correct
the way, the Xenix fdisk program is much safer than the DOS FDISK.
The Xenix program will not let you cause damage.)

     echo
     echo '** Changing to DOS **'
     echo
     fdisk /dev/rhd00 <<- eof >/dev/null 2>/dev/null
         4
     eof

Note1: the line with "eof" must start at column 1.
Note2: this script assumes that your hard disk is C: ("rhd00")

Create this script as userid root and give it 755 permission.
Say that you call it "dos" and put it in
the root directory.  Then, root can switch to DOS by entering:
     /dos
A useful idea is to create the following short script:
     su - root -c /dos
and call it "dos" and put it where everyone can get at it with permissions
of 755.  Then, any userid can change to DOS, if the user knows the root
password.  If you set this up and you are logged in under your own userid
(not root) and you enter:
     dos
you will be asked:
     Password:
After entering the root password, your system will automatically change to
DOS.

2) Changing from DOS to XENIX:

Here is a batch file to change from DOS TO XENIX (the file "fdisk.xen"
is explained below):

     :* Batch file to change to Xenix
          echo off

     :* Activate Xenix FDISK partition
          fdisk < fdisk.xen

     :* Tell user to reboot
          echo XENIX partition activated
          echo To change to XENIX, reboot system

If you have a program such as "warmboot" that automatically reboots from DOS,
you can reboot automatically from the batch file.

Name the batch file XENIX.BAT.  Then, you can change to Xenix anytime by
entering:
     xenix

The batch file works by assuming that the file FDISK.XEN contains the
correct commands for FDISK.  Thus, you must build such a file and
make sure that it can be found by XENIX.BAT.  For example, if you are
keeping FDISK.XEN in the \SYSTEM\UTILITY directory, change the fourth
line in the batch file to:

          fdisk < \system\utility\fdisk.xen

To build FDISK.XEN you need to know what responses FDISK expects to
change the active partition from #4 to #2. These responses are (check
it yourself on your own system):

     2 <enter>
     2 <enter>
     <escape> <escape>

Note that there are no <return>'s after the <escape>'s.

Unfortunately, it may not be easy to create FDISK.XEN.  Bear in mind,
you need to generate a 8 byte file that contains the 8 bytes shown
above (<enter> takes 2 bytes).  EDLIN cannot do it for you as it will
not let you put in <escape> characters.  Perhaps you have an editor
that can do the job.  If not try:

     1) Do it with vi under Xenix (use Ctrl-v escape) and pass it to DOS.
     2) Write a BASIC program to create the file.
     3) Create a dummy file:
       copy con: fdisk.xen
       2
       2
       xx<F6>
     then use the Norton Utilities or something to change the "xx" to
     two <escape> characters (hex 1B, decimal 27).

This works fine.

Note: When you execute XENIX.BAT and FDISK works automatically, you
will hear two beeps.  Don't worry, it's okay.

Final Note: Usually, I suggest that people remove the FIDSK program
from their hard disks.  This prevents anyone else from accidentally
causing catastrophic damage.  However, in this case, you need FDISK.
I suggest that you rename it to something else and change XENIX.BAT
accordingly.

------------------------------

From: Ya'akov_Miles%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: NEC Floating Point Companion for V20 Available

The NEC "PC-9801-21K" cmos replacement for the Intel 8087 is now available.
The following communication was received via BITNET from a friend of mine
who is working in Tokyo.  PLEASE NOTE JAPANESE TRADING PRACTICES...
        Hi,

        I checked on the chip you asked about...It appears that it is
now available; PC-9801-21K is an 8 MHz floating point processor which
is compatible with the "V20" machine as far as I can understand. I am
mailing you the NEC catalog update with suitable annotations. YOu may
want to try ordering by letter or maybe I could do something from here
and have it shipped to you if it is what you want. The cost is
84,000 yen (about CAN$ 700).

        Does it sound like what you want?

                                Alan
        Alan,

        Please verify that price for me.  I have great difficulty in
believing that NEC would charge $700 (canadian) for the floating point
chip when I can get an Intel 8087 for $150 - $200 (canadian), landed,
with duty and federal sales tax included.

                                Ya'akov
I checked and rechecked the price.  My Japanese friend assures me
that the price I quoted (84000 yen) is the correct price for this
chip. In Japanese it is called a "data processor" chip.  Does the
number I quoted your (PC....) mean anything to you?  Anyway you should
receive the catalogue soon and you can try to decipher it. I will
continue to check to see if we have a misunderstanding.  I must
warn you that ONE OF THE REASONS THAT THE AMERICANS ARE SO MAD AT THE
JAPS is just this. The prices internal to the country are controlled at
very high levels. THE PRICES FOR EXPORT ARE SET MUCH LOWER in order to
be competitive. Still the gap of $100 to $700 is more than I can believe
too. A rule of thumb is to MULTIPLY BY ABOUT 2 TO 3 TIMES to get the
price of anything in Japan (but of course this is not true about things
like cars or I thought until now chips)

                Bye for now,

                Alan

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 12 Nov 86 09:14 EDT
From:     EVERHART%ARISIA@rca.com
Subject:  LPTX

I have had problems with LPTX under DOS 3.x also but they were
readily cured. Just edit the thing to have a buffer large enough
to hold at least a full page of text (2000+ chars) instead of only
512. Then the thing works reasonably well. Or at least it did for
the few runs I made. Otherwise printscreen gets ROYALLY bent out of
shape and you go for the big red switch...
	For graphics dumps you may need a still larger buffer; I haven't
tried that. For text, however, the 2k buffer LPTX seems pretty solid.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 86 19:33:21 EST
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>

A recent posting said the user was having problems with LPTX v3.0 in DOS 3.0
(or perhaps that was DOS 3.1).

I've been running LPTX v3.0 in my XT clone (640 Kb, 80286, Phoenix ROM,
PC-DOS v3.1, 2 serial ports, monochrome, fairly standard setup) since it
first came out, with absolutely NO problems of any sort!  Exactly as
advertised.  Can't imagine the problem.

If the user would contact me directly (well, by email, that is) with some more
specifics on what's going wrong, I might be able to help.

Regards,
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 12 Nov 1986 17:38:21 PST
Subject: EXTNDH.ASM Extends DOS 20 File Limit
From: Billy <BRACKENRIDGE@B.ISI.EDU>

I wrote a little routine, EXTNDH.ASM, which mungs DOS to extend the file
limit past the 20 files normally allowed. It uses some undocumented
features of DOS, but it should run under both DOS 2.x and 3.x. It can be
called from C Pascal or assembly. Thanks to Dr. Dobb's and the person
who sent the anonymous note telling how to do this. Thanks also to
Jeff Jacobsen <SL421%USU.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU> for pointing out the
article in May 1986 DR. Dobb's.

There is an assembly time switch for Microsoft C. EXTNDH only fixes the
limit in DOS. The Microsoft C run time environment also imposes a twenty
file limit. As the arrays to implement this were of a fixed size, I had
to redefine them to keep from clobbering neighboring variables. The
Linker squawks about this, but it works fine for Microsoft C 3.0. Caveat
Programmer!

[EXTNDH.ASM has been added to the INFO-IBMPC lending library. -wab]

------------------------------

Date:  Thu, 13 Nov 86 09:37 EST
From:  Elefante@RADC-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Patching Zenith's DOS 3.1 to Turn Echo Off

Many thanks to those who offered zeroing flag byte location 1967H of
COMMAND.COM to turn ECHO off for batch files.  Unfortunately, my
version of MSDOS (3.1 on Zenith 248) does not have the flag byte at
that location.  Furthermore, when I zero the value where I do believe
the flag byte is located (using a procedure proposed by Ed Nather
that was successful for DOS 2.xx), nothing happens.  Anyway, guess
I'll have to live with it for now, although begrudgingly.

Don Elefante

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 86 10:41:47 -0500
From: reintom@ROCKEFELLER.ARPA

Don:

I gave the wrong address for patching Zenith's COMMAND.COM.  To
turn echo off, the location in question is 1987, not 1887.  Change
the value from 01 to 00.  Hope you and everyone on the net have not
suffered any damages from my misinformation!

Tom Reingold

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 86 16:35:51 est
From: woo@nyu-acf4.arpa (Alex C. Woo)
Subject: Hercules Bios HERCBIOS.ASM

The following was found on the SIMTEL20 MSDOS directories.  It almost works
except that most programs write directly into memory.  Also I tried to
define the iAPX286 without sucess on my AT-clone.  Otherwise it is
an informative example of programming for the Hercules graphics board.

Alex.

[This terminate and stay resident program adds INT 10H graphics support
for the Hercules card.

HERCBIOS.ASM has been added to the info-ibmpc lending library -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 86 12:10:49 CST
From: CCRJW%UMCVMB.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
      (Richard Winkel UMC Computing Services)
Subject: Path Bug

Try this:
Set up a path of the form 'd:..' where d is some drive spec.
Get into a subdir of the root (or any level below) and issue a command
which resides in the parent dir of the current dir.
If the command is a batch file, it returns 'Batch File Missing'.
Otherwise it returns 'Bad Command or File name'.
If your path leaves off the drive spec, as in 'path ..', it works ok.
A better work around is to use a path of the form 'd:.\..'

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 86 12:25:44 est
From: Nathaniel Polish <polish%lexington@columbia.edu>
Cc: polish%lexington@columbia.edu
Subject: Solution to the AT dir delay

Well, I received about five responses to my query.  I must admit
that, while I appreciate all the enthusiasm, I am a bit surprised at
the willingness of people to state conjecture as fact.  My initial
question referred to why on my configuration (PC's Limited 6/8mhz AT,
Seagate 4051, PC-DOS3.0) there is always a LONG pause to get free
space.  Let me summarize the responses:

Several people suggested that I should increase the number of buffers
in CONFIG.SYS.  One person mentioned that the default number of
buffers is 0.  This is wrong.  The default varies from version to
version but it is not 0.  One person expressed the concern that if
buffers was made big enough the dir would be cashed and not reread on
diskette change.  All of this is incorrect for a few reasons.  Calls
to DOS are file relative and allow you to ask for many sectors worth
of stuff.  The BIOS also has multi-sector calls.  DOS, however,
always asks BIOS for a single sector at a time.  DOS first checks to
see if the sector is in the buffers then it goes to disk.  Increasing
the number of buffers to a very large number is bad because DOS
considers memory requests to be free and disk requests expensive.  So
DOS will scan all of your buffers on EVERY single sector request.
This can make DOS very slow.  On fast disks it pays to compute the
trade-off and set buffers so that scanning the buffers costs no more
than half the time to get a sector.  The concern about directories
being cashed despite a change in media is based on an old CPM
concern.  CPM kept a checksum of the dir and compared it on reads to
see if the disk had changed.  It turned out that there were
significant odds of this failing to detect a changed disk.

One person pointed me to the BIOS call which returns whether a disk
had been changed.  This seemed a good bet but it only works on
floppies.

The simplest answer  was the best:
DOS3.0 is simply broken.  DOS3.1 exhibits none  of the problems.
Further,  control-U is  back.

Case closed.  Thanks for the interest.

Nat Polish
ARPAnet		polish@columbia.edu
UUCP		...seismo!columbia!polish

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 86 18:25:14 est
From: nortond%csmbox@CSV.RPI.EDU (Daniel A. Norton)
Subject: DRIVPARM in CONFIG.SYS

Microsoft documents the config.sys command "drivparm" (note spelling)
which allows you to define block-I/O device parameters.  Thus, you can
override some of the values which default when the system is booted.

The Microsoft MS-DOS User's Reference describes the parameters in
more detail.

Could this be used to ease support of the increasingly popular 3-1/2"
drives?

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 86 19:44:23 EST
From: David Kirschbaum <kirsch@braggvax.arpa>
Subject: File Compare Utility DIFF.EXE

I have DIFF.EXE, that long ago I snarfed from somewhere .. I'm sure
a big bulletin board like Delaware FIDO or something .. it's a 16Kb
file that compares two files, and sends the differences (in a crude
sort of format .. NOT like the DIF we had in CP/M) to a device (console,
printer, named file).

Works just fine, doesn't get TOO lost unless the differences are quite
large.

Problem is:  The only thing in the code for credits, etc., is the version
number (1.30).  No name, no copyright, no public domain release.  I can
NOT say for sure this is in fact public domain .. so I can't distribute
it.

I've looked thru my catalogs of RBBSs and other goody archives .. no trace
of DIFF.EXE.

If anyone can recall seeing this, and CAN say it's public domain .. glad to
send it to the specific requestor.  I know .. no source code, so no archiving
at Info-IBMPC.  I won't disassemble and distribute the listing either .. same
public domain question.

Regards,
David Kirschbaum
Toad Hall
kirsch@braggvax.ARPA
(by the way, if anyone knows DIFF.EXE is proprietary and NOT public domain,
please let me know right away!  I don't want anything to do with piracy!)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 1986  07:09 MST
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: ARC and ZOO Programs - New FAST Arc/Unarc

Anyone using the ARC512 or ZOO programs for MS/PCDOS should take a
serious look at PKARC.  PK stands for Phil Katz, the author.  He's
done a SUPER job of optimizing the speed and file compression.  It
beats both ARC and ZOO hands down!  It's the fastest ARC/UNARC program
I've ever seen.  The latest version is now available from
SIMTEL20.ARPA as:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.ARC-LBR>
PKX33A12.COM.1			BINARY	 53248  E4D6H

This file, when executed, extracts PKARC, PKXARC and their DOCs.

Unlike ARC512 (now obsolete as far as I'm concerned), this program is
FREE - no obligations.  The ARCs it makes are significantly smaller
than ARC512's but are still extractable under ARC512 (if you want to
wait that long).  This version also allows entry of comments into the
ARC which can later be displayed.  ARC512 will ignore them.

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie Mail: W8SDZ
RCP/M Royal Oak: 313-759-6569 (300, 1200, 2400 bps)

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15-Nov-86 20:28:35 edt
From: David Farber <farber%pcpond.pc.udel.edu@Louie.UDEL.EDU>
Subject: 80386  Motherboard Transplanted to AT Chassis

One of my IBM AT's has recently had a brain transplant.  It is now
equipped with an Intel 80386 motherboard.  This motherboard operates at
16 MHz, with a 32-bit bus.  I also have the unit equipped with a two
megabyte 32-bit memory board.

The motherboard went trivially and the machine came up right away.  I
have had no compatibility problems yet except I used to be using a
new-style IBM Enhanced Keyboard designed for the XT on my AT before
transplantation.  The keyboard's cursor keys/numeric keypad did not
work.  The machine worked with the old AT keyboard and presumably would
work with the AT version of the Enhanced Keyboard.

I have not had a chance to run extensive benchmarks, but to date:

Norton's SI (for what its worth):  18.0 (and 15.3 and 18.7)
Dhrystone (registers):  2941
Dhrystone (no registers):  2631

For reference, a 0-wait state, 8 MHz A*Star does 1470 with registers
and about 1360 without registers, and 7.7 for Norton's SI.

Dave Farber

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 15 Nov 86 19:38:56 cet
From:  CHADM1%UCONNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: BASIC Files Recovered under DOS 2.0

Thank you for trying to help me recover my BASIC files.
It turned out that when I booted the PC with the original DOS (2.0)
BASICA was able to properly load the files.
I still don't know why my version of DOS (2.1) failed, but having
recovered the files, I must go on to other things.
Carl David

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 86 17:24:19 PST
From: osbook@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (osbook)
Subject: Tim Patterson now at Microsoft

Several people have asked what has happened to Tim Patterson,
the original author of DOS.

As I understand it, Microsoft has recently hired Tim
and has bought back the license that his company had
to sell DOS forever.  Thus, Microsoft now completely
controls DOS.

Harley Hahn

------------------------------

From: "Michael R. Volow" <ecsvax!mvolo%mcnc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Date: 16 Nov 86 07:57:02 GMT
Subject: PCTOOLS from Central Point Software

 Excellent selective copy, delete, move, as well as debug like
 facilities in commercial program PCTOOLS (Central Point Software)

--Mike Volow, DukeU, Durham, NC
--mvolo@ecsvax

------------------------------

Date:     Sat, 8 Nov 86 20:31 EST
From:     LBAFRIN%clemson.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Canon LBP8A1 Laser Printer

Hello, netland.  A colleague of mine is starting a research project, and with
the grant he got he can afford a laser printer up to about $2500.  He was
looking through one of the recent issues of PC Magazine (the "we review
every printer in the universe" issue) and saw an ad from Logicsoft, a big
mail-order outfit, for the Canon LBP8A1 laser printer for $1985.  Does
anybody own (or know somebody who owns) this beast?  They claim 8 ppm, but is
that 8 *original* ppm?  Any idea what the engine's duty cycle or MBTF is?
The bottom line is, would it be a good buy for your average $2000-class
laser printer?

Any and all feedback (directly to me, please) will be acknowledged and
greatly appreciated.

                                        -- Larry Afrin
                                           Dept. of Computer Science
                                           Clemson University

================================
Please send replies, if any, to:
lbafrin@clemson.csnet                       or
lbafrin%eureka@clemson.csnet                or, as a last resort,
any reasonable-looking string with
   "lbafrin", "eureka", and "clemson" in it
(And I'm told that Usenet fans can try ihnp4!seismo!clemson.CSNET!lbafrin)
I disclaim everything anybody ever said about anything.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 17 Nov 86 16:18:11-EST
From: Mary Lou Frey <mlfrey@G.BBN.COM>
Subject: Memory boards

I am strongly considering buying the Tech Turbo PC/AT portable.  It comes with
512 K RAM and runs at 10 MHz.  I would like to have at least 1 M RAM which I
will need to add with a board.  I also need a serial connector.  Anybody out
there recommend a good (and cheap) memory board will a RS232C connector?
Or where I might look for a review article?  Also has anybody actually bought
a Tech PC product?  They are the only AT portable that takes a coprocessor
that I have seen advertised.  Otherwise the Toshiba 3100 looks mighty good.

mary lou frey

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 86 17:12:23 MEZ
From: Rainer Kleinrensing UNI217%DBNRHRZ1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Epson FX-85 Windows Driver Wanted

Hello!
Since April 1986 I use Version 1.02 of Microsoft Windows. Apart from
processing speed (on a Zenith 158 with 20MB MicroSci HD) I am quite
satisfied with this program. However, the graphic print output produced
on my Epson FX-85 (FX-80 driver is the only one available) from programs
such as WRITE (for example Times Roman font) and PAINT is - in my opinion -
not acceptable, although the printer has been installed for 'high quality'
output. Does anyone out there know how to fix this problem ?  If no other
driver is available, I would like to write one myself, if anyone can tell me
the format of those files. The Epson can produce a very high quality output
and I know how to achieve this from a program I write myself. The problem
is to put this into a Windows device driver file.
Thank you,
       Rainer Kleinrensing

------------------------------

Date: Tue 11 Nov 86 11:26:53-CST
From: Pete Galvin <CC.GALVIN@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Fastback Competition

Has anyone tried the new backup programs that are coming available?  I've
tried Fastback, but it seems to leave my system in weird states when
it terminates.  Are there any "nicer" backup programs out there (for
hard disk to floppy backups) which are as fast or efficient?

				--Pete

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 86 17:20:30 est
From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi@rochester.arpa>
To: info-ibmpc@usc-isib.arpa
Subject: CBASIC Compiler

Does anyone know of a BASIC compiler or interpreter for PC-DOS that
is compatible with the old CBASIC compiler for CP/M?  A friend is
using a suite of programs in CBASIC, and wants to port them to his
IBM PC.  The programs are the Osborne accounting system, which is
freely copyable.

CBASIC is not totally compatible with Microsoft Basic, especially in
the area of strings and file I/O.

I seem to remember that Digital Research used to sell CBASIC for
CP/M-86 (it has since been discontinued), but not for DOS.

Thanks,
Mike Ciaraldi
ciaraldi@rochester
seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

------------------------------

From: "Roger Fajman"  <RAF%NIHCU.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Date:  Wed, 12 Nov 86  17:51:27 EST
Subject:  BITNET-3COM Gateway

We have an Ethernet with IBM PCs running 3COM's Ethershare and
Ethermail software, with plans to go to 3-Plus.  We are interested in
linking the 3COM mail system to the mail system on our 3090s and to
BITNET.  I doubt that there is an off the shelf solution, as we run
MVS/XA-JES2 on the 3090s, not VM.  We also have our own mail system
(including a BITNET-compatible mailer), not UCLA mail.  What I would
like to know is does anyone have any pieces of software that I might
be able to use?  Some examples would be software for the PC that
constructs messages with RFC822 headers and software for the PC that
would deliver messages with RFC822 and/or BSMTP headers to a 3COM
mailbox.

My idea for getting the mail files to and from the Ethernet is to use
a PC on the Ethernet running a multileaving RJE emulation package,
such as Barr HASP.  Things such as DACUs and KNETs seem too
expensive.  Anyway, it would take a lot of persuading to get
something like that hooked to our 3090's channels.  Also, we already
have a similar arrangement for handling mail to and from our DEC-10.

Roger Fajman
RAF@NIHCU.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 86 16:04:49 pst
From: Gerry Key <key%tetra@nosc.ARPA>
Subject: PC Mouse & MS Word Query

A colleague (who is not on the net) is having problems using a
Mouse Systems PC Mouse with Microsoft Word Version 3.0.  I seem
to recall a discussion of this problem some time ago.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has used this combination
and who can offer some pointers.  Please respond directly to me and
I will forward the information.

Gerry Key
(key@nosc.arpa)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 86 09:33 EST
From: <MRB%PSUECL.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject:  ASYST / ILS for Data Acquisition & Analysis

I am looking into the packages "ASYST" and "ILS" for use in a data
acquisition and analysis project.  I would appreciate any feedback
from people who have used one or both of these software systems as to
performance, things they liked, things they hated, things to watch
out for, options worth buying, options that are a waste, etc. (you
get the idea).  These reactions would prove very helpful.

Replies can be sent directly to me ( MRB @ PSUECLA --- I'm not sure
of all the gateways, etc. to Penn State but we seem to be on almost
all of them).  If there is interest, I can try to summarize what I
found out for the general readership.

Thank you very much.

Maurice Baker, MRB @ PSUECLA

------------------------------

Date: Thu 13 Nov 86 11:25:57-EST
From: Thomas S. Wanuga <WANUGA@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: PC Hack

Does anyone know where i can get a copy of the latest version of PC
hack, a rogue-like game for the ibm pc?  Thanks.

Tom Wanuga
wanuga@xx.lcs.mit.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 86 15:12:29 EST
From: Stev Knowles <stev@BU-CS.BU.EDU>
Subject: Intermittent Memory Problems

A friend borrowed my PC to use at the start up she formed with some
friends until they could get her a machine to run on. She is using
it as a writers workstation, with a laserjet on COM1:. She is running
Epsilon and FinalWord writing their documentation. She is writing
complete docsets, and finalwording them (sorta like scribing them,
I am told). Needless to say, this is probably using most of the 640K I
have in the PC. This is the configuration:

		ibm pc, 256k motherboard, 63watt power supply.
		ast sixpack, 384k
		ibm cga
		everex hard disk adapter
		seagate st225 20 meg disk
		floppy controller, 1 full height ibm floppy

Well, campers, it is hanging every now and then  (at least once a
day), I  assume it is a memory error somewhere, but it passes
both regular diags and advanced diags. (The reason I think it must be
a memory problem is that it has parity checked a few times when she
first borrowed it. but it never gave her a memory address.)

I am lost now. might it be the laserjet hanging the port?
is there a program out there that I could get (hopefully
PD, but something like norton's utilities would be ok)
that would *really* check the memory?

thanks for the help.

stev knowles

[With a 63 Watt power supply this could be an old PC. Early PCs had 8088
processors which allowed interrupts while munging segment registers.
This sometimes caused the PC to hang. This problem will show up under
a heavy interrupt load such as running a laserjet via the serial port.
Run the program CPUID.ASM in our library. It will tell you if you have
the old 8088 chip. You can replace it with a NEC V20. If this isn't
the problem, I guess you are still in the market for a worst case
memory diagnostic. -wab]

------------------------------

Subject: HP-150 Disk Format
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 86 09:12:43 EST
From: jam@mitre-bedford.ARPA

	I have a need to exchange disks between an IBM Convertible
and an HP-150. Does anyone know of a program for formatting, writing
and reading disks on the Convertible for use on the HP-150?

	Manzana sells a 3 1/2" drive for PC's with software which
can handle the HP format. They said that the software would run
directly on the Convertible, but they don't sell it without the
hardware. However, they claim that what I want done is possible
in software.

	Thanks for any help.

		Joshua Morris
		jam@mitre-bedford

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 86 16:01:11 MEZ
From:  A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Detecting Printer Ready

Does anybody out there know a way to find out if a printer is connected
and ready? The MS-DOS interface only can correctly determine that if
a printer is connected, but there is no way to find out that no printer
is connected to the PC.
Perhaps the information has already been published, but I am relatively
new to this discussion group.
Thanks
Erich Neuwirth

------------------------------

From: thode@nprdc.arpa (Walt Thode)
Date: 14 November 1986 1353-PST (Friday)
Subject: Using an Irwin 310 tape drive with a Tempest Zenith Z-150

We recently obtained an Irwin 310 Tape backup for use with our IBM-XTs
and compatibles.  It seems to work fine with our XTs, but the 37-pin
(DP-37) male connector on the cable from the Irwin doesn't match the
similarly sized but different hard disk interface plug, which is female
but which is set up for three rows of 62 pins instead of the two rows on
the Irwin's DP-37 plug.

We need some sort of converter to make the connection with the Z-150.
The Zenith documentation does little more than recognize that a hard
disk controller card is an option on the Z-150s.  Any assistance in
finding a way to use our Irwin with our Z-150s, either in the form of a
jumper cable between the two (which we could construct if we knew how to
hook it up) or any other solutions to our problem, would be appreciated.

--Walt Thode (thode@nprdc)

------------------------------

Date: Sat 15 Nov 86 01:15:54-PST
From: Carl Fussell <CARL%SCU%PANDA@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: 123 EGA Driver

About a month ago a notice was posted to this list about an EGA driver
for Lotus 123 (Ver 1a) that was available on a Boston BBS.  I have
tried on several occasions to dial that BBS with no success.

I was wondering if anyone knows if this is available from some other
source?

Thanks in advance for any help...

Carl Fussell
Carl%scu%panda@sumex-aim.arpa

------------------------------

Date:     Sat, 15 Nov 86 21:32:13 est
From:       Peter Marshall  <pm@julian.UUCP>
Subject:  SuperKey and Slow Screen Updates

I have become aware recently that the (monochrome) screen on my 8MHz
Zenith-158 running Kermit 2.29a was really getting behind especially
when I was making a connection at 19.2k to our VAX.  The file
transfers run at a reasonable 800+ cps, but the screen was
being painted at about 400 cps.   A very dumb and old terminal
in my office can do much better than that.  The MS-DOS type command
shows similar performance.

Removing some memory resident utilities (SideKick, Outline!) got me
back a few cps, but the big gain was when I removed SuperKey.  Suddenly
I was getting well over 650 cps (with the burst speed almost keeping up
with a 9600 bps line).

I've really grown accustomed to SuperKey (although it is a bit of a memory
hog for my use).  Can anyone tell me why that program is slowing me down
so much?  Is this a known problem with a particular version of the
program (mine is v1.03)?  Why even with a bare system is the screen so slow?

Peter Marshall. (also A111.UWOCC1.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: 16 NOV 86 19:54-EST
From:  89RBW%WILLIAMS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Resident Program Must Detect if COMMAND.COM is Running

Does any one know how to determine if an application program is running, or
if just DOS's COMMAND when a resident program is activated?  If I have a
resident program that is called from an event, how can I tell if it is safe
to do certain activities.  I know about INT 28H, but that only tells you
if disk operation is safe at the moment.  I am writing a resident module that
might have to load a large overlay to perform certain duties, and I only want
that to happen when there is no program running but COMMAND.  Thanks,

-Richard Ward   ( 89RBW @ WILLIAMS.BITNET )
                ( 89RBW%WILLIAMS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.ARPA )

[The file <INFO-IBMPC>INDOS.TXT is related to this topic but not the complete
answer. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 16 Nov 86 19:04:26 PST
From: osbook@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (osbook)
Subject: Writing a Book on 80386 Assembler

I need your help.

I will soon be starting work on a new book, dealing with
assembly language programming for the new Intel 80386.

If you have any ideas about which topics YOU would like to see
in an assembly language book, please let me know.

The book will be for people who already know how to program
but who may never have programmed before in assembly language.

If you send in a suggestion that I use, I will be glad to
acknowledge you in the  book.  If you would like to be
acknowledged, please include your name and affiliation.

Also, I have a book coming out late this month (November)
called:

The Complete Guide to IBM PC AT Assembly Language
published by Scott Foresman and Company
(B Daltons can get it for you)

I will be pleased to receive any comments that anyone
would care to make on this book.
Thanks,  Harley Hahn

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 14 Nov 86 21:52:23 EST
From: Joe Herman <dzoey@umd5.UMD.EDU>
Subject: Streaming Tape Drive

We recently acquired an IBM 6157 streaming tape drive.  However the
software the comes with it does not support the IBM PC Network.
So....does anyone know of any third party that would supply software
that will backup over the network?

				Much obliged,
				 Joe Herman

				University of Maryland