[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V6 #7

Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU.UUCP (02/07/87)

Info-IBMPC Digest      Friday, February 6, 1987      Volume 6 : Issue 7

This Week's Editor:  Eliot Moore <Elmo@C.ISI.EDU>

Today's Topics:
                     Final Word II Problem Solved
                 Fast Joy Stick A/D Converter Program
              Saving Turbo Pascal Programs (2 Messages)
                            Ruggedized AT
                  Public Domain Prolog (2 Messages)
                        Turbo Jr (3 Messages)
      MPREP.ARC - Macro Preprocessor now Available from SIMTEL20
  SURFMODL.ARC Surface Modeling Program now Available from SIMTEL20
                             Cover for PC
                        PKX34A20 Archiver Bug
                      Upgrading your PC to a 386
             Talking PC6300 For The Blind, Public Domain
                         Text to Speech Chips
                 Major Bug in All Versions of MS-DOS
                         EGA in XT Timesaver
              Korn shell and vi from Mortis Kern Systems
Today's Queries:
                      Hebrew Text Editor Wanted
                  Need Queueing Simulation Software
                Problem with NEC V20 and Persyst Board
                               NETBIOS
                          3.5" disk drivers
                   WordPerfect 4.2 Zeniths and Time
                          Pageprinter Driver
              Public Domain Word Processor (3 Messages)
                      DEC PRO 350 Compatibility
                   Connecting to DEC LA-50 Printer
            Setting a Pointer to an Absolute Value in MSC
                             Turbo Extend
                              Genealogy
                     PC Extended/Expanded Memory
                       Convert Lexoriter Files
                            NEC Spinwriter
                           YTERM and Z-171s
                              Benchmark

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1987  19:59 EST
From: LIN@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU
Subject: Final Word II Problem Solved

I complained that my FWII did not accept zero from the keyboard.  Many
people suggested the same fix, which works.  I had somehow
accidentally changed the key assignment for the 0 key.  The fix is
simple -- use the "mread" command to reset the macro library to
default.  (in other words, do an mread on the library DEFAULT)

Thanks to all...

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday,  3 Feb 1987 06:11:13-PST
From: dantowitz%eagle1.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM
To: Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU
Subject: Fast Joy Stick A/D Converter Program

The enclosed TURBO source code implements a fast joy stick a/d converter.

David

[JOYTEST.PAS has been added to the Library. -rag]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 87 10:21:59 PST
From: Jim Anderson <bilbo.jta@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject: Saving Turbo Pascal Programs

One known source of problems with Turbo "COM" files involves
constants.  Constants in Turbo are really more like initialized
variables, and they can be assigned within the program.  If your
program does this, the following can occur:

1.  You load the source file.
2.  You run the program which causes it to compile.  The program
    while running, changes the value of a constant.
3.  You compile the program to a .COM file without making any changes
    to the source.  Turbo does not really compile the program, since
    it was already compiled, but now the constant has the wrong
    value.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 4 Feb 87 10:18:09-EST
From: Omar Wing <ELENG@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU>

>We have some fairly long (about 2500+ lines) Turbo Pascal programs
>that do genetic linkage analysis. They work fine if they are compiled
>and run from the Turbo editor, but produce inconsistant behavior
>if saved and re-run.  Does anyone know what causes it,
>and/or a workaround?  Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem with a long circuit analysis program that I wrote
some time ago.  I thought the problem was with Turbo Pascal.  However
after many weeks of frustration I finally figured out what was going on.
In my case I had defined somewhere in my program an array of real numbers
with range 1..20, i.e.,

type
    realarray = array[1..20] of real;

During execution, my program would try, mistakenly, to access realarray[0]
and perform some floating point operation on that element.  First note that [0]
is out of the defined range for the array, [1..20], and Turbo Pascal will not
complain unless the Check Range flag (I don't remember which one that is) is
set. The default is unset to increase program execution speed. Now when the
program is executed from whithin Turbo Pascal, all the data memory space (where
the array and other variables get stored) is automatically initialized to 0.
However this is not the case when you save your program and rerun it from DOS.
In fact if you check, you would see that the initial value of the elements
of the array is some huge number.  Then although you may have some code to
initialize your arrays, if by any chance you access an element outside the
predefined range (which most likely wasn't initialized by your code), you may
end up with two different results depending on whether you run the program
from within Turbo or from DOS.

To see whether this is your case, set the "Check Range" compiler flag
and run your program to see whether you are accessing an out-of-range
element of some array (see your Turbo manual for details). I hope
this helps.

Isidore G. Bendrihem

eleng@columbia.edu

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 4 Feb 87 06:44:36 est
From: jkerby@nswc-wo.ARPA
To: info-ibmpc@c.isi.edu
Subject: Ruggedized AT

	I just got a catalog that may be of use to the individual who was
looking for a ruggedized AT (or something like that).  ICS Computer
Products, P.O. Box 23058, San Diego, CA 92123 may have what is needed.
The telephone number listed for automated literature requests is (619)
279-0365 (24 hours,7 days).  Order numbers are (800) 523-2320 (National);
(800) 558-8302 (California).  Technical support numbers are (619) 279-0084
(hardware); (619) 279-0363.  Usual disclaimer applies.  Additionally, I'm
not even a customer (yet).  Hope this helps.
	jkerby@nswc-wo
	(703) 663-8306

------------------------------

Date:  3 Feb 87 08:58 EST
From: David A. Potter / McDonnell Douglas  <DAP.MDC@OFFICE-1.ARPA>
Subject: Public Domain PROLOG
To: C. P. Yeske <CY13@TE.CC.CMU.EDU>

Yes, there is a P/D PROLOG for the PC.  As a non-programmer I do not use it and
so can't say anything about it, but I do have access to it and would be willing
to upload it if nobody provides a pointer to an existing copy on the net, AND
if someone will tell me where to put it -- and how (does FTP ANONYMOUS login
allow uploads as well as downloads?).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 87 00:13:20 CST
From: g-chapma@gumby.wisc.edu (Ralph Chapman)

Yes, there is a public domain prolog:

	A.D.A. PROLOG

		by Robert Morein
		Automata Design Associates
		1570 Arran Way
		Dresher, Pa. 19025
		(215)-646-4894

The copyright notice in the documentation for version 1.7k gives express
permission for bulletin boards and users' groups to distribute it, so you
might check around locally.

(I haven't tried it out yet, so I can't give an opinion on it.)

- Ralph Chapman, University of Wisconsin - Madison
  g-chapma@gumby.wisc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 87 15:43:00 PST
From: TOMASCHKE#GREG%C.MFENET@nmfecc.arpa
Subject: Turbo Jr

A while back, I posted a query about the possibility of putting a no-slot
turbo board into my PCjr. I received several replies, most of the nature
"sounds like a good idea, let me know if it works".

Someone also posted a reply to the effect that the jr didn't have the
necessary 8284A chip.  This is not the case.  According to the tech ref
manual (page 2-13) "The system clock is provided by one Intel 8284A clock
chip".  Not one to trust the manual, I popped the lid off my jr, and sure
enough, there it was, in the back, right-hand corner.  You can just barely
see it without removing the disk drive.  Unfortunately, the chip is soldered
rather than socketed, so installation will require desoldering, etc. Not
for the weak-hearted.  As soon as I assemble the neccessary cash (and
courage), I will try this out.  I'll be sure to post the results.

The board I'm contemplating is the FAST88.  Its price (about $150) and its
simplicity (it doesn't do anything tricky, so it's more likely to work with
the jr) are the main reasons for this choice.

One final caveat for any one else who might be thinking about trying this.
The faster clock speed may cause problems with your RAM.  The RAM that comes
with the jr is rated at 150ns, fast enough for most of the boards I've looked
at, but you also need to check the RAM on any memory expansion boards you have
installed.

Regards,
Greg

TOMASCHKE%C.MFENET
TOMASCHKE#GREG%C.MFENET@NMFECC.ARPA

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 5 Feb 87 18:25 EST
From: <WINNER%CUA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>

Chuck Miller responded to a message I never saw about using turbo boards on
a Jr.  The most recent issue (v2. n2) of the Metro PCjr Journal (from a Jr.
User Group in Wash. DC area) deals with various ways to speed up a Jr,
including using a V-20 chip and working in higher memory (filling up the Jr's
original 128k so that programs run in the faster memory).  The newsletter
also mentions an accelerator board for the PC called FAST88, from Microspeed
of Fremont, Calif (415-490-1403).  The newsletter quotes a $149 price.  It
does not use an expansion slot, but rather is plugged into the clock chip slot
on the motherboard.  It goes on to warn that the Jr's clock chip is soldered
so it requires some delicate work to install.  The claim is that it does work
on the Jr but it can run into problems with memory expansion sidecars.  Overall
they recommend a "use at your own risk" attitude.

The User Group is hoping to test shortly a "no-slot" board called Surprise!, by
Maynard Electronics (Article in a recent PC Week I think, but don't quote me).
This looks like it will be fine hardware-wise (from the specs in the article),
but they are worried about problems with the software that is used to make it
work not being compatable with JRCONFIG.SYS (their recommended memory
configuration program.  We will wait and see.

Right now the V-20 seems the most reliable hardware fix.

The Metro PCjr newsletter's address is:
METRO PCjr JOURNAL
The Metro PCjr Users Group
12908 Allerton Lane
Silver Spring, MD 20904

-Jim Winner (BITNET address: WINNER@CUA.BITNET)

PS. I haven't used any of the above hardware methods myself so I can't vouche
for what I am reporting personally, but their advise has usually been
reasonable in the past.

------------------------------

Date: 3 Feb 87 11:28:58 PST (Tuesday)
From: "David_M._Markham.WBST139"@Xerox.COM
To: INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU

I personally have found a substantial number of enhancements can still
be found by shopping mail order. One of the better places to look is the
Computer Shopper in the advertising mart, and perusing the various adds.
Expansion boards and  other accessories may be obtained in this manner.
I picked up a Keytronics numeric keypad for under $40.00, and put on a
parallel port, clock and 512k of ram for under $300. This expansion
allows a ramdisk  of user specified size which substantially increases
the jr speed of operation using word processing programs, Turbo Pascal,
etc.

All the accessories I purchased installed easily and have been working
fine for over a year now.  I find that I can run a majority of the
MS-DOS based software on the expanded jr. -  Although it's not as fast
as an AT or 386, it certainly performs more than adequately for most
tasks which I attempt to do at home.

I hope that you find this information of some help.

							Dave Markham

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 20 January 1987  09:14-MST
From: Kenneth Van Camp -FSAC- <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>
To: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Subject: MPREP.ARC - Macro Preprocessor now Available from SIMTEL20

Now available from SIMTEL20...

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.PREPROCESS>
MPREP.ARC.1			BINARY	 20130  D733H

MPREP is a general-purpose macro preprocessor and version control
program which I am placing in the public domain. C programmers who are
forced to program in other languages will especially appreciate MPREP,
since it implements the four C preprocessor commands, #define, #ifdef,
#ifndef and #endif, for use in any other language. I wrote MPREP in
Turbo Pascal, but it works equally well with source files written in
Fortran, Lisp, Cobol, etc., as long as they're in standard ASCII
files. Documentation is included in comments at the beginning of the
program.  The ARC includes the Turbo Pascal source and executable.

		  --Ken Van Camp <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>
[The sources are available in the info-ibmpc lending library as
MPREP.PAS -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 20 January 1987  09:14-MST
From: Kenneth Van Camp -FSAC- <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>
To: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Subject: SURFMODL.ARC Surface Modeling Program now Available from SIMTEL20
ReSent-From: KPETERSEN@SIMTEL20.ARPA

Now available from SIMTEL20...

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.SURFMODL>
SURFMODL.ARC.1			BINARY	117534  F904H

SURFMODL is a general-purpose surface modeling program for the PC
written in Turbo Pascal.  Surface modeling is the science of producing
realistic three-dimensional images on a computer display.  This
capability has existed on large mainframe and minicomputer
workstations for many years.  Only recently has it migrated to smaller
computers, and the IBM PC is no exception.  I wrote SURFMODL on a
Sanyo MBC-550, but it also runs on the IBM PC and most compatibles.
At this time, the only display board supported on the IBM is the Color
Graphics Adapter (CGA) and compatibles. Hercules and EGA compatibles
will not work with SURFMODL.  It requires only 256K RAM, runs
amazingly fast, and is a general-purpose surface modeler.  It creates
displays of three-dimensional wire frame images, it removes hidden
lines, and it performs surface modeling.  Since it is a generalized
program, it can be used to view any object from any angle, with single
or multiple light sources.  It is accompanied by PREPROC, a
general-purpose preprocessor.

When used in conjunction with a finite element preprocessor, a
special-purpose function generation routine, or PREPROC (the SURFMODL
preprocessor), SURFMODL is a complete surface modeling system, capable
of constructing models of any variety of objects of virtually
unlimited complexity.

Source files for SURFMODL are not being released to the public domain
at this time, but the executable files and sample data files are.

		    --Ken Van Camp <kvancamp@ARDEC.ARPA>
	  Army Armament Research Development & Engineering Center
		        SMCAR-FSA-E  Building 329
			  Dover, NJ  07801-5001
		      (201)724-3334  (AV)880-3334

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 87 11:23:57 EST
From: Michael Yamashita <ACAD8011@RYERSON>
Subject: Cover for PC

I Have just come across a ad in a newsletter that may answer
a question that was put to the network.  Icebox Jr. is a lightweight
fiberglass enclosure that has a positive pressure ventilation system
that removes particles to 10 microns. It features hold down brackets
for PC monitor.   The company name is Integration Technology.
The a was in a Canadian tabloid called Data Product News 777 Bay St.
Toronto Ontario (416)596-5000  I guess the best thing to do is to
phone the publisher for more info.

------------------------------

Date:  6 Feb 87 14:19 EST
From: davidsen%kbsvax.tcpip@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: PKX34A20 Archiver Bug

There is a new version of PKARK out which promises to be faster, smaller,
all good things. It also has a *bug*. If the environment variable PKARCTMP
is set (as the manual suggests), the PKARC program aborts with "not enough
memory to run program". This will also happen if you set ARCTMP (for
Seaware's ARC), TMP (for Microsoft C), or HOME (for UNIX toolbox).

The version is identified as PKX34A20.COM, and it creates archives which
are not unpackabe with ARC. Caveat emptor.

bill davidsen			sixhub \
      ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz ->  crdos1!davidsen
				chinet /
ARPA: davidsen%crdos1.uucp@ge-crd.ARPA (or davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 87 23:03:48 PST
From: AHS%PSUVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Upgrading your PC to a 386

I made a mistake in my previous note.  Expanded memory is limited to 8
(8) Megabytes.  I append a corrected version and a last minute news
supplement.

                                                          00 01 02 03
This week's news:

How to turn your PC into a true multitasking 80386 machine for 500$:
(Neither tools nor soldering needed except for a chip extractor).

1..  Insert in an empty slot an Everex "286 board for PCs".  That will
give you an 8-Mhz no-waitstate 80286 with 640k of dedicated 16-bit
memory.  Cost: 400$ list, 275$ by mail.  By now, you are already
outperforming the newest IBM 8-Mhz 1-waitstate AT.

2..  Remove the 80286 chip from the board you just installed and trade
it for a 80386.  Or get a free sample from Intel.

3..  Insert into the now empty 80286 socket a Cheetah "adapter 386"
microcard (3.5x3.5-in).  Place into the empty 386 socket on the
Cheetah your new 80386 chip.  And that is it.

Now, your DesqView 1.3 or 2.0 will run the 80386's built-in mode
called "virtual 8086".  DesqView will generate up to 256 totally
independent and multitasking virtual 8086/8088 PC-DOS sessions.
Further, each separate session can use its own dedicated 8 Megabytes
of Enhanced (EEMS) or regular Expanded Memory (EMS).  Naturally, each
session has it own fully adjustable window.  This means that you are
now able to load into the RAM memory of your five year old PC up to
256x(0.64+8)= 2,130 Megabytes of data and programs.

Help is on the way, Idea Associates has just started selling a single
1-slot card with 16 Megabytes of RAM on it (16 tiny columns of
1-megabyte sticks which collectively occupy less than half a full
card).  Thus, you will only need slightly less than 150 of these cards
to exhaust the memory capacity of your rejuvenated PC.

Fortunately, further help is on the way.  You can now buy "Above Disk"
sofware to create virtual EMS or EEMS by using your hard disk.  Thus,
at most, you will only need a 2,130 megabytes hard disk to exhaust the
new capability of your old PC.  Of course, when you order your hard
disk, it would be prudent to add a few megabytes to hold what you
already have on your present hard disk.

 By-mail cost:
          Everex "286 board for PCs"              275      275
          80386                                     0  to  200
          Cheetah "adapter 386"                   140      140
          DesqView 1.3 or 2.0                      45  to   65
                                                 -----    -----
                                                  460      680
          Trade-in allowance for 80286             60  to   10
                                                 -----    -----
          FINAL COST                              400  to  670

Should we investigate a mass purchase by the club ???.

Michel

PS: Upon reflection, it seems that the major problem with this scheme
is finding an empty slot on a 5-year old PC.

Everex Excelerator 286 board for PCs:  PC Magazine, 1987 Feb 24, p.45.
                 Color picture of it:  InfoWorld, Feb 2, p.35.

Cheetah "Adapter 386":  Preview, PC Magazine, 1987 Feb 24, p.35.

IdeAssociates 16-MBy board color picture ad:  ibid, p.307.

TeleWare "Above Disk" ad:  ibid, p.346.
                     and:  PC Magazine, 1987 Feb 10, p.340.

Last minute news:

In case you find you real 386 already to slow, help is already on the
way.  Intel will announce February 16th:

          a 20-MHz 386
          a 16-MHz 387 math coprocessor
          a 20-MHz 387 math coprocessor
          a 386 specific DMA controller
          a 386 specific cache controller

That should do until next year when we will need a few more megaHertz
and a 5-millisec hard disk to keep up.

Michel

<Fin><End>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 87 23:05:29 PST
From: eklhad@ihuxv.UUCP (K. A. Dahlke)
Subject: Talking PC6300 For The Blind, Public Domain

As you probably know, there are many speech terminals and applications
available for blind programmers and users.  I am familiar with most commercial
products, and few (if any) meet my specific needs.  Furthermore, many seem
prohibitively expensive, especially if the user is a student, or a new employee
trying to become productive in a small company with limited resources.  For
this reason, I have developed several speech systems for myself, and I am
placing my newest software package in the public domain (with AT&T's blessing).

To take advantage of hardware that already exists in schools and small
companies, the system runs on an AT&T PC6300.  Yes, it *should* be compatible
with the IBM PC, and other clones, but in all honesty, I haven't run very many
tests yet.  At worst, you might need to recompile with a couple different
parameters.  If you get it to work, or fail, on a specific PC clone, please let
me know.  The software expects a Votrax Type N Talk unit attached to the serial
port.  Other synthesizers could be supported if you are willing to rewrite the
synthesizer interface routines (not very difficult).  The source is written in
microsoft assembly, version 3.0 or above.

The system possesses the following attractive characteristics:

1.	Software is public domain (a bargain).

2.	System cost is low, PC clone + Votrax speech unit.

3.	No maintenance hassles, retailer services PC, and those speech units
	never fail.

4.	Audio feedback (besides voice) as characters are displayed.

5.	User defined pronunciations for common words.

6.	User defined names for punctuation symbols.

7.	Expansion of (apparently) unpronounceable words into
	their constituent letters.

8.	User defined mapping of keys to speech functions.

9.	Operating system changes allow any line oriented application
	program to be used unmodified.

10.	Source provided, so programmers can tailor the system to their needs.

I will post the source and documentation in net.sources in a week,
with subject = "Talking PC6300."
Since I do not typically read these newsgroups, pleas mail
followups to ihnp4!ihnet!eklhad.

	You know  ...  if it ain't patina, it's verdigris.
	Karl Dahlke   ihnp4!ihnet!eklhad

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 87 23:05:51 PST
From: cmcmanis@sun.uucp (Chuck McManis)
Subject: Text to Speech Chips

A couple of people have mentioned that they are interested in using
the text to speech chips that Radio Shack sells. Well it turns out a
place called RFJ engineering in Florida sells a bare PC board that
does everything you need. They advertise in Computer Shopper. The
board has sockets for extra RAM (extended conversion buffer) and your
own rule exceptions EPROM. I built it and it worked right off. There
are level shifters for RS-232C operation but I have been using just
straight TTL serial on my robot. This board makes a great diagnostic
console on a mobile platform.

 -Chuck McManis

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 87 15:23:51 mst
From: b-davis%utah-cai@utah-cs.arpa (Brad Davis)
Subject: Major Bug in All Versions of MS-DOS

; Here is a probable bug (or feature?) in MS-DOS.  Does anyone know a
; work around (without closing the first file)?  Would Gordon Letwin at
; Microsoft care to comment?  This bug appears on PC-DOS 2.0, PC-DOS 3.0,
; and MS-DOS 3.1.  (Unix has no problems with this algorigthm.)

; The test goes like this:
; 	Create a file with name 'xxx'.  Call this file FD1.
;	Write 80 bytes to FD1.
;	Open the file named 'xxx' a second time.  Call this file FD2.
;		Note that NO errors have happened yet.
;	Try to read 80 bytes from FD2.  No bytes are read.
;		Note that NO error is reported.
;	If in symdeb push to a new shell.  See that the file 'xxx' has
;		been created but has a size of 0.
;	Exit the program.  See that the file 'xxx' is now 80 bytes long.
; If FD1 is closed at POINT A (see source) then FD2 will perform the read.
; If FD1 is closed at POINT B (see source) then the read of FD2 still fails
;	even though the disk has been updated before the read happens.

xtest	segment	para public 'prog'
	assume	cs:xtest,ds:xtest

	org	100h
start:	jmp	main

; int fd1, fd2;
; char buffer[80];
; int a, b;
fd1	dw	0
fd2	dw	0
buffer	db	80 dup (0)
a	dw	0
b	dw	0
xxx	db	"xxx", 0

main:
	; modify memory so symdeb can push a shell
	mov	bx, 4096
	mov	ah, 4ah
	int	21h
	; create a file
	; fd1 = open("xxx", O_TRUNC | O_CREAT | O_RDWR | O_BINARY, 0600);
	mov	dx, offset xxx
	mov	cx, 0
	mov	ah, 3ch
	int	21h
	mov	fd1, ax
	; write out 80 bytes
	; a = write(fd1, buffer, sizeof(buffer));
	mov	bx, fd1
	mov	dx, offset buffer
	mov	cx, size buffer
	mov	ah, 40h
	int	21h
	mov	a, ax
; POINT A
; If these three lines are included then all works well.
;	mov	bx, fd1
;	mov	ah, 3eh
;	int	21h
	; open the file a second time
	; fd2 = open("xxx", O_RDWR | O_BINARY, 0);
	mov	dx, offset xxx
	mov	al, 2
	mov	ah, 3dh
	int	21h
	mov	fd2, ax
; POINT B
; If these three lines are included then the read still fails.
;	mov	bx, fd1
;	mov	ah, 3eh
;	int	21h
	; read the data from the second file
	; b = read(fd2, buffer, sizeof(buffer));
	mov	bx, fd2
	mov	dx, offset buffer
	mov	cx, size buffer
	mov	ah, 3fh
	int	21h
	mov	b, ax
	; Here a = 80 and b = 0.  Shouldn't b = 80 also?
	; return to system
	mov	al, 0
	mov	ah, 4ch
	int	21h
	ret
xtest	ends
	end	start
;--------------------------- End of Test -----------------------

------------------------------

Date:  6 Feb 87 21:02 EST
From: davidsen%kbsvax.tcpip@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: EGA in XT Timesaver

I recently bought an EGA superset (NEC GB-1) and Multisync for my
PC Designs GV386. Since they aren't shipping yet, I put it in an
XT. There were problems which resulted from the "read pixel" function
of the BIOS returning zero frequently. This was eventuall traced
to configuration of switch one, paddled 5&6. They both have to
be on "no display" for EGA to work. Hope this saves somebody a
bit of time.

ARPA: davidsen%crdos1.uucp@crd.ge.com (or davidsen@crd.ge.com)

------------------------------

Date:  6 Feb 87 21:35 EST
From: davidsen%kbsvax.tcpip@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: Korn shell and vi from Mortis Kern Systems

I recently had about four hours to use the MKS Toolkit from
Mortis Kern Systems. This is Korn shell for DOS, with a large
number of utilities, such as vi, ls, df, du, od, etc. Being an
emacs user, I'm not real thrilled with vi, but it seems to be a
complete implementation (I am *not* a vi heavy) as far as I have
used it. The program which makes my day is cpio, which allows me
to move files to/from UNIX with minimum hassle and preservation of
mod dates for make use.

This is a solid product, and the UNIX SIG in upstate NY is going
to do a bulk purchase to get the discount.

Disclamer: just a user.

Date: 2 February 1987 12:28:11 CST
From:   <RJL@UIUCVMD>
To:   <INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU>
Subject:  Hebrew Text Editor Wanted

     Is anyone aware of a simple full screen editor which supports leftward
written languages like Hebrew, Arabic, and Persian?  And does anyone have a
Hebrew character set that can be loaded into RAM and used as an alternate
characterset in such an editor???  I have managed to put together a crude
line editor for this purpose, but I'd much rather be able to use a full
screen editor.  The major difficulty with this project stems from the
fact that I must use both rightward and leftward written code in the
editor, but I must be able to save my text both with and without any special
codes which indicate that a string is to appear on the screen backwards...

------------------------------

From: Kevin Sullivan <kjs%tufts.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
To: INFO-IBMPC%usc-isib.arpa@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: Need Queueing Simulation Software
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 87 10:59:05 EST

I am looking for information on the availability of software to run on
an IBM PC/AT that would enable me to do modelling and prediction of
the cyclic flow of a product through a factory.  The factory processes
its product, sends it out to customers, and then it is returned for
reprocessing (cleaning) and reshipment to other customers.  What the
factory owners want is to be able to predict staffing requirements on
a day to day basis based on the numbers of machines available to do
processing, their rates of processing, their staffing requirements, on
the recent history of what has been shipped out and some knowledge of
how long customers hold onto the product before returning it.

I imagine that a statistical package that can simulate a queueing
network is what is needed.  Does anyone have any familiarity with
software resembling this?  If so, would you be so kind as to respond
directly to me (and this list), indicating the maker of the software
and how I could contact him?  Thank you very much.

Kevin Sullivan

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 87 18:18:09 CST
From: pyle@ngp.utexas.edu (Keith Pyle)
To: INFO-IBMPC@c.isi.edu
Subject: Problem with NEC V20 and Persyst Board

A friend of mine without net access has attempted to replace the 8088 in his
IBM PC with a NEC V20 without success.  We have tried the same in chip in
another machine similar to his (both have Persyst Memory Expansion boards)
also without results.  The chip DID work in my machine, which doesn't have
a Persyst card.  Thus, it isn't the chip.  Has anyone any suggestions on
what we might try?

Keith Pyle

UUCP: . . .{ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,noao,gatech}!ut-sally!ut-ngp!pyle
ARPA: pyle@ut-ngp

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Feb 87 14:22:31 +0100
From: Stig Frode Mjolsnes <mjolsnes%vax.elab.unit.uninett@NTA-VAX.ARPA>
To: Info-IBMPC@c.isi.edu
Subject: NETBIOS

I have a question concerning interfacing a highlevel language to the
NETBIOS.  Does any library for C or Modula-2 or whatever exist where
NETBIOS calls are included?

Please let me know! Thank you.

Stig F.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 3 Feb 87 00:33:19-PST
From: Tom Griner <TEG@BIONET-20>
Subject: 3.5" disk drivers
To: Info-IBMPC@[10.0.0.52]

     Needed:  Driver (.Sys file) to allow 720K 3.5" disks to be read
on an IBM PC with DOS 3.1.  Although DOS 3.2 includes a driver that does
what I need, I am unable to use it because my system uses a patched version
of DOS 3.1 that would be hard to upgrade.  A few companies that sell 3.5"
drives include drivers that work with all versions of DOS (IE: Rhamdec's
AstroDrive includes AstroDrv.Sys).
                       Thanks in advance,
                                        TEG@[128.92.192.5] (Bionet-20)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 1987 14:32:25 EST
From: Nick Laflamme <DPL1646@IRISHVM>
Subject: WordPerfect 4.2 Zeniths and Time

A friend reports a puzzling problem with the Zenith compatible she
uses and her new version of Word Perfect 4.2:  It seems that when she
brings up Word Perfect, it sets the system time to 2:00 AM.  This did
not happen in Word Perfect 4.1.

She's using MS-DOS 3.1 which she bought from Zenith.  I don't think it's
a pure MS-DOS 3.1- Zenith seems to have added some enhancements for
reading CPM diskettes and stuff.  (Zenith also apparently added a
"feature" that resets the time when you boot up to the last time you
booted up, as opposed to the standard "1/1/80 12:00 am").  She's also
tried Word Perfect 4.2 on a Zenith MS-DOS 2.? and had the same
problem.

Others who are running Word Perfect 4.2 on IBM PC's do not have this
problem.

Any comments or suggestions would be helpful.  Reply to me and
I'll summarize to the list.

Nick Laflamme
University of Notre Dame

------------------------------

Date: 3 February 87 15:33-EST
From: TUCK@MTUS5.BITNET
To: INFO-IBMPC @ C.ISI.EDU
Subject: Pageprinter Driver

We have a couple of IBM 3812 Pageprinters connected to IBM PCs.  We are
interested in any information available on other drivers for these
printers that allow full access to all fonts, alternative sources of
hardware, maintenance experience or any other information/experience you
care to share.

Thank you.
John Tucker

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Feb 87 15:13:24 PST
From: voder!kev@decwrl.DEC.COM (Kevin Hoskins)
To: INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU
Subject: Public Domain Word Processor

Does anyone know of any inexpensive word processor(s) that generate and read
files or are compatible with Wordstar (or NewWord). When I say inexpensive
I mean less than $50 (public domain or shareware would be great).

Thanks,
Kevin

------------------------------

Date: 4 Feb 87 11:37 EST
From: NVDAFNPT @ DDN2
To: info-hz100 @ radc-tops20.arpa
CC: INFO-IBMPC @ C.ISI.EDU

Is any one aware of a public domain word processor software program
that I can acquire that will work on my Z120 (MSDOS V2.1) and / or
with the Gemini side of my hard disk (MSDOS V3.0)?

I would also be interested in a P.D. spred sheet and data base system.

Any replies greatly appreciated.

Dennis McGillicuddy

------------------------------

Date: Wed 4 Feb 87 14:53:41-EST
From: Gern <GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA>
To: NVDAFNPT@DDN2.ARPA

Yes, there is a PD word processor that works on all MS-DOS type machines:

COPY CON filename

Added features are the DELETE key for editing mistakes and CTRL/Z to
end your session.   Other features are that the resulting files are
in true printable ASCII.

(-:

Gern

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 4 Feb 87 11:29 EST
From:     MINNA%nuhub.acs.northeastern.edu@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: DEC PRO 350 Compatibility

	A user has a DEC PRO 350 and would like to know if there are
boards available to make it emulate an IBM so he can run IBM compatible
software on it.  If you know of solutions please respond to him at:

PA_FASTDRAFT%VAXE.COE.NORTHEASTERN.EDU@RELAY.CS.NET

THANKS.

------------------------------

Date:         Wed, 4 Feb 87  18:38 EST
From: OPER013%UMUC.bitnet@BERKELEY.EDU
Subject: Connecting to DEC LA-50 Printer

Has anyone had any luck connecting a DEC LA-50 to
the serial port of a PC/XT/AT??? I can have the printer
echo things I type on the screen via procomm. but I cant
get DOS to recongize the printer.
              thanks
                   nick

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 87 15:25 IST
From: <C44%TAUNIVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Setting a Pointer to an Absolute Value in MSC

dear editor

While working with Microsoft C I have been having problems giving
pointers absolute values. I would be most gratefull if you could
help me out.
My particular problem is to obtain an address located in absolute
Hex 42 (segment 0, offset Hex 42). This is the segment where the
hebrew routines are located and I need to change the values located
in various offsets.

                                       yours truely
                                       Jonathan Brandon
                                       c/o Amir Prat
bitnet:                                c44@taunivm

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 87 12:58:14 EST
From: munnari!murdu.oz!sue@seismo.CSS.GOV (Sue McPherson)
Subject: Turbo Extend

I have heard that there is a product called TURBO EXTEND (??) which overcomes
the problem of various 64K limits imposed by Turbo Pascal. Does anyone have
any details about this product; who supplies it ?, is it any good? etc.

Thank You
Sue McPherson

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Feb 87 15:51:28 est
From: decvax!mcnc!unccvax!wgivax!ram@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: Genealogy

> Other products mentioned (also in PD and which I have acquired) were
> Family History System, FT-Etc and Genealogy on Display.
>
> I was asking on behalf of a friend, but she is still RTFMs and has
> not yet tried out the stuff in any depth, although it all seems to
> load and run as claimed.

  You wouldn't happen to know were i can get a copy of any/all of the
above mentioned PD software, would you?  I would love to try it out.
My father and i have been trying to acquire such a beast for sometime
now.  If the path between us is short enough maybe mail could suffice?
Please let me know.   Thanks alot (in advance bla bla bla).

	Rick A. Messinger
	Washburn Graphics Inc.

	mcnc!unccvax!wgivax!ram

------------------------------

From: root@cbosgd.mis.oh.att.com (Kunte Kinte)
Date: 5 Feb 87 04:14:27 GMT
Subject: Extended/Expanded Memory on IBM-PC

I would like to be able to use an extended/expanded memory board
(Intel/Lotus standard) to store large arrays of data.  I am running
Microsoft C version 4.0 under MS-DOS on a AT&T PC6300 (IBM clone).
I am looking for software (public domain or for money) that would
provide some sort of interface.  If not, maybe some suggestions
as I think that this application of extended/expanded memory should be
relatively simple.

Thanks,
Tom Russell
AT&T Bell Laboratories
usenet: ihnp4!mhuxi!tcr
[Sounds like a simple assembly language function would do the trick. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 6 Feb 87 11:12:31-PST
From: TIEU@USC-ECLB.ARPA
Subject: Convert Lexoriter Files

Help! does anybody have any experience in converting files created by a
LEXORITER wordprocessing machine to IBM PC word processor format or just plain
ASCII files in DOS format.  The files created by the LEXORITER word processing
machine are in 5 1/4 inch floppy diskettes.  We are very anxious to have these
files transfer to DOS format or we have do lots of typing (20 full diskettes).
The reason for this is that LEXO CORP. has gone out of business and nobody
knows how to fix this machine.  Thanks in advance for any response.

Han ----  TIEU@USC-ECLB.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 06 Feb 87 17:47:14 EST
From: Dean Carpenter <ST701979%BROWNVM@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: NEC Spinwriter

I hope someone can help with this ...  We have a NEC Spinwriter we are
trying to hook up to a plain vanilla IBM AT through a serial port.  I'm
pretty sure we have the correct cable since we can get intelligible
musings from the beast, but with a restriction.  No matter what combination
of settings are used (on either the AT or printer side) the most that the
thing will print is the first line of any file.

After the mode command,  copy autoexec.bat com1:  results in the first line
printing and that's it.  As if that was all that got sent to the printer.

Any ideas anyone ?

Thanks ... Dean Carpenter
           ST701979@BROWNVM  (bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: 6 February 1987 18:44:36 CST
From: U45571%UICVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU (James A. Danowski 312-996-3187)
Subject:  YTERM and Z-171s

I am trying to use the communications program YTERM (for PC to IBM-CMS
mainframes) with a Zenith-171, and the internal modem.

I can get programs like Crosstalk to work, but not YTERM.  Do you know
what it takes to get YTERM operating with the Z-171's internal modem
(external modems work fine)?

Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Feb 87 20:25:59 est
From: Adrian Lee <munnari!uqcspe.oz!adrian@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Subject: Benchmark

I am trying to trackdown a benchmark program for the PC.
Apparently it was reported in "Benchmarking PC's and Compatibles"
by Dr. Thomas Bell and Wayne Bell, Transactions of CMG, No. 51,
Winter 1986.  Can someone tell me what 'CMG' stands for?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Adrian

ARPA:	adrian%uqcspe.oz@seismo.css.gov	ACSnet:	adrian@uqcspe.oz
UUCP:	seismo!munnari!uqcspe.oz!adrian	CSNET:	adrian@uqcspe.oz
JANET:	uqcspe.oz!adrian@ukc

[Just for the record Richard Gillmann published the Whetstone bench
marks for the PC vs a Prime, Apollo, DEC-20 and a few other machines
here in INFO-IBMPC along with a copy of the Whetstone program. His
figures have been often quoted, and neither he nor INFO-IBMPC has
ever been acknowleged. -wab]

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------