[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V6 #16

Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU.UUCP (03/11/87)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Tuesday, 10 March 1987      Volume 6 : Issue 16

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Topics:

			Software Write Protect
   Disks Compatible with RLL Encoding Adaptec ACB-2070A Controller
		    Large PATHs Small Environment
		     Procomm V. 2.4.2 and DOS 3.2
			    DISK REPAIRERS
			       WXMODEM
			 Framework Questions
	       MSC V4 Incompatible with Novell Netware
			Software Write Protect
			    PMI Fastcards
			    MS FORTRAN 4.0
		       Sanyo 555 Comm Programs
			   Going Walkabout
	  CUT-PAST.ARC Text File Cut and Paste now Available
Today's Queries:
		 Complex Arithmetic with Turbopascal
			  Third Serial Port
		    Bar Code Readers Cash Drawers
		 Using a Mouse on Non-Mouse Programs
			      MULTILINK
			    No-Delay Reads
			  Smart Forecast II
			  Hoops Announcement
		       MSC 4.0 System Function
			  Fractal Generators
			  New Wang PC Clone
	      Tektronix 4010 Emulator for IBM-PC wanted
			  Fractal Generators
				 Ada
	  9D pinouts on NEC-APC IV to 25D pinouts null modem
			     Portable PCs
	  Scientific Solutions Tecmar LabMaster; Interrupts
			    JRAM Problems
			   Talltree Jlaser
			   Ratfor Compiler
		Digital Equipment DECNET-DOS Problems
		  286 Accelerator board for NCR PC-4

Date: Sat, 7 Mar 87 02:17:31 est
From: nate@RINSO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Nathan Liskov)
Subject: Software Write Protect

access to a hard disk, the following program from PC magazine is
enclosed, with modification to prevent write access to the C disk
or to any disk above E.  This will allow read access from all disks
and will provide some confidence that files will not be written to
the protected disks while the protection is active.

... from Nate Liskov  (Nate@rinso.lcs.mit.edu)
[PROTECT.ASM Has been added to the info-ibmpc lending library. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 5 Mar 87 19:38:46 PST
From: Ya'akov_Miles%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Disks Compatible with RLL Encoding Adaptec ACB-2070A Controller

According to Adaptec, the ACB-2070A has been successfully tested
by them with the following drives:

Drive Model                     Capacity (RLL Format)

Seagate         ST-238          31MB

Rodime          RO352           15MB
                RO202E          31MB
                RO203E          47MB
                RO204E          63MB

Tandon          TM502           15.6MB
                TM755           62MB

MicroScience    HH-325          31MB

Miniscribe      3425            31MB

NEC             3126            31MB
                5126            31MB

Mitsubishi      MR522           31MB

Priam (Vertex)  V150            62MB
                V170            90MB

Syquest         SQ319           15MB
                SQ357           45MB

Tulin           TL226           31MB
                TL326           31MB
                TL240           48MB
                TL340           48MB

Toshiba         MK56FA          105MB

MicroStorage    MS212           15MB

Lapine          Titan           31MB

Okidata         OD526           31MB
                OD540           48MB

Bull            D530            38MB
                D550            63.2MB
                D570            88.4MB
                D585            104.5MB

The Adaptec controller board has been successfully tested in
the following personal computers:

IBM-PC
IBM-XT
Compaq Portable
Compaq Deskpro
Compaq 286 Portable (Note 1)
Compaq 286 Deskpro (Note 1)
AT&T 6300 (Note 2)
Leading Edge (Note 1)
Sanyo
Eagle

Notes:

1. ACB-2070A requires product P/N 401400 Revision C or later.

2. Requires AT&T motherboard ROMS version 1.21 or later.

This information is furnished per Adaptec letter dated 4/18/86

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Mar 87 10:18:38 pst
From: reynolds@ames-prandtl.arpa (Don Reynolds)
Subject: Large PATHs Small Environment

I have not seen this written down anywhere.  Is it just common knowledge that
increasing the Environment space does not increase the space available for the
PATH?

I find that one can change the Environment size by either patching
COMMAND.COM or by using the SHELL command in CONFIG.SYS.  This works
fine for gaining room for Environment variables, say to be used as
follows:

        SET ENV_VAR=1
then test it in a .BAT file

        IF %ENV_VAR%==1 GOTO ...

Unfortunately, I find the limit on the length of the PATH seems to be
127 (or 128) characters, independent of the Environment size.  This
requires solutions such as using SUBST, or some path-augmenting
utility like DPATH or GLOBAL to live within the restricted size.

Is this a trivial observation about PATH length and Environment size?  Or is
it incorrect?

Best,
Don

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Mar 87 10:22:56 pst
From: reynolds@ames-prandtl.arpa (Don Reynolds)
Subject: Procomm V. 2.4.2 and DOS 3.2

Volume 5, Issue 15 of this digest contained the following request:

     > Date:     Wed, 04 Mar 87  23:08 EST
     > From:     EKZMS%CUNYVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
     > Subject:  Procomm V. 2.4.2 and DOS 3.2
     >

     > Does anyone know how to get Procomm 2.4.2 to work with DOS 3.2?
     > Please reply to:
     >
     > EKZMS%CUNYVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
     > Thanks.

Perhaps this was covered in Volume 5, Issue 103 of this digest.  The message
is repeated below in case growing pains exist with the new BBS archive.

Best,
Don

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 86 12:05:45 EST
From: Gordon W. Ross <gwr%linus@mitre-bedford.ARPA>

        When running with DOS 3.2, CTRL-BREAK causes PROCOMM (from
Datastorm Technologies, Inc.) to hang the system, with last words
        "Stack Overflow."  (Followed by some garbage.)

        The following is a patch which will make PROCOMM 2.42
behave with DOS 3.2.  There is no reason to apply this patch if you
use DOS 3.1 or below.

        rename procomm.exe procomm.bin
        debug procomm.bin
        e 8686 0
        rename procomm.bin procomm.exe

The technical details:

        Upon entry to the keyboard break interrupt handler, the stack
is checked for overflow by comparing the stack pointer with both
upper and lower limits.  The limits used assume that PROCOMM's stack
is the current stack, and fail because DOS has substituted a new stack
stack has plenty of room, but fails the limit check because it is a
DOS sized stack and not PROCOMM's own stack.  The stack overflow error
handler then causes the system to hang.
        The above patch disables the high limit test which was
falsely triggering the stack overflow error routine.  The low limit
does not cause any problems.  It might be better to remove the call to
the stack checking routine, but I didn't have the patience to
determine the correct call to remove.  The above works fine, and I
assume Datastorm Technologies will fix the problem in a subsequent
release.  I have informed them my findings.

    Gordon W. Ross              Phone: (617) 271-2199
    The MITRE Corporation       ARPA: linus!gwr@mitre-bedford
    Bedford, MA  01730          uucp: decvax!linus!gwr

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 6 Mar 87 10:08:59 EST
From:    Roger Jagoda Sibley FTOP <FQOJ%CORNELLA.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: DISK REPAIRERS

To any and all who have had their drives destroy the FAT right out of
the fire:

I'm looking for any and all programs that will recover GOOD files intact
from disks with bad or damaged FATs. I'll try anything that's available
(commercial, free-, share-, vapor ware). Although I'm not too sure about
his latest version to be released soon, NORTON UTILITIES version 3.1
won't read past bad FATs or damaged leading tracts, and it won't do the
job even if you try to trick it by changing disks mid-operation. I have
heard mixed reports about DISK EXPLORER, but if anyone has had good luck
with it, I'm game to try it. The best bet would be a public domain
program, but again, we're desperate so I guess we're ready to try
anything. Responses can be sent to me directly or via the net. If I get
a good enough response I'll summarize the list back to the net so Billy
can archive it on his new toy server...if it's still up. Thanks in
advance to all responding disk repairers :-)

Roger Jagoda
Cornell University/CCS
Internet: FQOJ%CORNELLA.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

[The toy server is still up, but has had a few hardware parity error
crashes. -wab]

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 6 Mar 1987 10:26 EST
From:         Dave Goldblatt <USERBH0U%CLVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: WXMODEM

In reference to Billy's comment about WXmodem being another
'incompatible' protocol, it ain't.  :-) WXmodem first sends an ASCII
'W' to the sender, in the same fashion XMODEM/CRC sends a 'C'.  If it
doesn't receive an ACK, it jumps down to the XMODEM/CRC level, and
sends a 'C'.  If in either of the above cases it gets an ACK, it
proceeds with the appropriate protocol.  If both of the above fail, it
switches to standard Xmodem.

I myself have not tried WXmodem, however I do have the doc file for
the protocol around somewhere -- it's about 50K.  BITNET sites I can
send to easily, others I can ARC it, then uuencode (and break it if
needed into two sections -- not sure how big it would be).

-dg-

BITNET: USERBH0U@CLVM
ARPA:   USERBH0U%CLVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
uucp:   ...!trixie!gould!clutx!bh0u
Acknowledge-To: Dave Goldblatt <USERBH0U@CLVM>

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 06 Mar 87 11:48:20 SET
From:         Alun Saunders <ESC1319%DDAESA10.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Framework Questions
To: "David A. Potter / McDonnell Douglas" <DAP.MDC@OFFICE-1.ARPA>

Hi,

I'm glad to see that there are other people out there using Framework, &
I think it would be a great idea to set up a separate INFO-FRAMEWORK to
discuss just those questions.

It may be worth while to perform a poll of potentially interested people
via, say, INFO-IBMPC, to attempt to gauge whether this would be worthwhile.

I guess the next problem would be to find a willing host and moderator,
I'd love to do it but I don't have the time.

Alun Saunders
c/o European Space Operations Center
Darmstadt, West Germany

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Mar 87 08:32:17 PST
From: germain@pilchuck.Data-IO.COM (Dan Germain)
Subject:  MSC V4 Incompatible with Novell Netware

> Date: Wed, 4 Mar 87 11:05:30 CST
> From: munnari!augean.oz!tnemeth@seismo.CSS.GOV (Tom Nemeth)
> Subject: MSC V4 Incompatible with Novell Netware
>
> It appears that MSC 4.0 certainly does NOT work with Novell Netware 2.0a,
> and seems to hang the PC completely on termination of a compilation, instead
> of returning to DOS.  I have not checked to see if the file it produces is
> any good.
>
> Tom Nemeth

I wanted to comment on this.  We are running Novell netware 286 and I ran into
the same problem.  I contacted the dealer we purchased out system from, he
contacted Novell, and came back with an update to the Novell shell that runs
on the PC.

It seems that Novell coded the shell by using the MSDOS technical reference
manual in good faith.  The DOS EXEC function has documentation stating that
most of the registers may return modified, and so Novell left some register in
a different state than when the application program (such as the msc command)
makes the call.  As it turns out Microsoft made use of an undocumented
"feature" in the DOS EXEC function, in that contrary to what the technical
reference manual says, the registers are maintained, at least the register
that the msc command depends on.  At any rate the msc command crashes.

The new shell, Version 2.0b, takes care of this problem and I use Microsoft c
V4 all the time without any problems.

Dan Germain, Data I/O Corp.

------------------------------

From: Imants Golts <stever%tekgen.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Date: 7 Mar 87 19:21:41 GMT
Subject: PMI Fastcards

I tried two FASTCARD IV's from PMI/THESYS in my PC after being told
several times before I bought that this would work.  I needed
2 COM and 2 PARALLEL ports and the FASTCARD III has only memory.

However after the first board gave a parity check 2, THESYS informed
me that two IV's won't work in the same system.

They offered to replace the board, but I decided to return them since
the number of ports was the overriding factor.

I found their manual and setup programs to be excellent.  The manual
even had an index!  Their technical support is a little poor as they always
say they will call you back and never did with me or my answering
service.  The code phrase is "but, I have been waiting a week for
you to call me back!"

All in all, I would buy from them if the boards fit a future need.
(Assuming, of course, there is no problem with the refund; I am not
expecting any.)

---Steven D. Rogers

p.s. the memory cacheing does not work with external drives

------------------------------

From: Imants Golts <stever%tekgen.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Date: 7 Mar 87 19:44:20 GMT
Subject: MS FORTRAN 4.0

What do you get with version 4.0!  Why you get speed almost
approaching a VAX!  You notice there are no benchmarks for
the VAX in the ad, only other FORTRANS on the pc.

This update is a major one if you just count codeview,
But I find it hard to swallow that after several updates
at $75, Microsoft is now charging $150 for the update to full
ANSI 77 (something they should have had a couple of years ago)!

Microsoft is getting like Lotus more and more.  33% of the
purchase price is going to become standard for updates if we don't
protest.

---Steven D. Rogers

------------------------------

Date: 1987 Mar 7   18:27 EST
From: Bob Babcock   <PEPRBV%CFAAMP.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Sanyo 555 Comm Programs

It is difficult but not impossible to patch an IBM comm program to
run on a Sanyo 555.  I did it some time ago with an old version of
QMODEM.  Only problem is that you can only download to a RAM or
hard disk because you lose interrupts going to a floppy.  There is
also a version of MINITEL for the 555 which works quite well, and
two versions of Kermit, depending on whether or not you have the
optional IBM compatible video board, and several other PD programs
as well.  There are also claims that someone is about to release an
IBM compatible serial port which will run most IBM comm programs
without any patching.  (I suspect that minor patching will be necessary
because the interrupt controller is at a different port address, but
it would make the conversion trivial.)

------------------------------

Date: Sun 8 Mar 87 03:14:43-EST
From: Joseph M. Newcomer <Joe.Newcomer@C.CS.CMU.EDU>
Subject: Going Walkabout

Folks,

I have left SEI and am acting as an independent consultant.  Although I
will try to keep in touch, life is very busy right now.  As many of
you may have noticed, it has been months since you saw anything from
me.  Unless I can get a UUCP address I will essentially be out of touch
with the network.  I find this sad, as I have enjoyed the IBM-PC group,
feeling that I both gained and gave well.

My offer of Epsilon disks is still open; I haven't received any in
months.  If anyone wants my fancy Epsilon library, send 3 standard
or 2 high-density, /formatted/ disks and I will send you the library.
There are even some new goodies since the last distribution.

Best of luck to you all, and I hope to back in regular contact at the
earliest opportunity.

I am now working in the area of computer music, and having a lot of fun.
I can't discuss what I'm doing for a couple months yet, but there is a
very good chance that you will see me at NAMM (National Association of
Music Merchants) in June in Chicago, if everything goes well.
					joe

------------------------------

Date: Sunday, 8 March 1987  10:42-MST
From: "INFO1::ELDER" <elder%info1.decnet@WPAFB-INFO2.ARPA>
To: kpetersen <kpetersen@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: CUT-PAST.ARC Text File Cut and Paste now Available

I've uploaded the file CUT-PAST.ARC to SIMTEL20 directory
PD:<MSDOS.TXT-UTIL>.  The ARC file contains the source and compiled
programs CUT and PASTE.

CUT DESCRIPTION
     Use cut to cut out columns from a table or fields from each
     line of a file; in data base parlance, it implements the
     projection of a relation.  The fields as specified by list
     can be fixed length, i.e., character positions as on a
     punched card (-c option) or the length can vary from line to
     line and be marked with a field delimiter character like tab
     (-f option).  Cut can be used as a filter; if no files are
     given, the standard input is used.

PASTE DESCRIPTION
     In the first two forms, paste concatenates corresponding
     lines of the given input files file1, file2, etc.  It treats
     each file as a column or columns of a table and pastes them
     together horizontally (parallel merging).  If you will, it
     is the counterpart of cat(1) which concatenates vertically,
     i.e., one file after the other.  In the last form above,
     paste replaces the function of an older command with the
     same name by combining subsequent lines of the input file
     (serial merging).  In all cases, lines are glued together
     with the tab character, or with characters from an option-
     ally specified list.  Output is to the standard output, so
     it can be used as the start of a pipe, or as a filter, if
     "-" is used in place of a file name.

These sources originally were sent to UNIX sources.  I simply made a
few minor changes so I could compile the programs under MS-DOS using
the Computer Innovations CI86 compiler.  Below is the info from the
README file that was posted with the sources on UNIX-SOURCES.

Greg Elder
 -----------

This is a public domain version of AT&T's cut and paste commands.
Included is yet another version of getopt(3). If you already have a
version then change the makefile.

The software has been tested on both 4.2BSD (CCI Power 6/32 aka Sperry
7000/40) and SVR2 (3b2/400). It is currently in production mode on 4.2.

The only known difference is that this cut does not require the list
to be in ascending order.  e.g.
	cut -f4,2,1 x  <=>  cut -f1,2,4 x

When a range is specified then the range must be in order e.g.
	cut -f3-2
will cause an error message.

Depending upon your point of view this may or may not be a problem.

Error messages are a little more helpful than in SVR1, in particular
they tell you what the limits are for line lengths etc.

Feel free to change the software, send any bug reports to
	{ihnp4, pyramid}!ptsfa!ptsfc!ccm
since I am off the unix mail until the next assignment!!

Have fun,
		John Weald
		AGS Computers, Inc.
		415-463-8711

------------------------------

Date:     Sun,  8 Mar 87 10:59 +0200
From:     Reuven Weiss <REUVEN%TAUENG.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Complex Arithmetic with Turbopascal

 I seek extension of Turbopascal to complex numbers, i.e. correct handling
of i, defined as sqrt(-1.) . Using function definition makes long equations
cumbersome. I would prefer the normal algebraic notation, as for reals.
Thanks,
                    Reuven Weiss
                    Faculty of Engineering
                      Tel-Aviv University

------------------------------

Date: Fri 6 Mar 87 12:04:24-PST
From: TIEU@USC-ECLB.ARPA
Subject: Third Serial Port

I would like to find out how to install a third serial port for DOS operating
system machines (an IBM-AT).  I know that there are some device drivers for
this purpose.  What are they? (required software? hardware?)

Thanks in advance for any response

Han     TIEU@USC-ECLB.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: 9 Mar 1987 08:23:30-EST
From: patent@NADC.ARPA
Subject: Bar Code Readers Cash Drawers

I am developing a point of sale system for a local merchant, and need
some information.  I have been looking for companies that make a cash
drawer that interfaces to the IBM PC.  If anyone has any experience
with any such products please let me know.  Also, anyone who can
recommend a decent bar code reader please do so.  Thanks,

			Eric Patent
			Paten@nadc.arpa

Please reply directly to patent@nadc.

------------------------------

Date:         Mon, 9 Mar 87 17:38 IST
From:         Amir Prat <C44%TAUNIVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Using a Mouse on Non-Mouse Programs

Hello
A friend of mine recently purchased a mouse for his pc compatible.
The mouse works just fine with pc-paint. What he wants to do now is
to get the mouse to work with programs that are not intended to use
the mouse. I tried finding a program that would be resident and read
the mouse all the time and plant its output in the keyboard.
I will thank anyone who can tell me if he knows of such a program
or any other solution.
                                              Thank you
                                              Amir Prat
                                              c44 at taunivm

[Mouse Systems makes a package that does what you want and comes with
templates for many popular programs. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: 6 Mar 87 07:56:00 EST
From: "STEVE ZURO" <zuro@nrl.arpa>
Subject: MULTILINK

  Hello,

  I used an early version of MULTILINK about 2 and 1/2 years ago to
"network" several VT100 terminals with the section's IBMPC-XT.  The
project worked, however, the results were very slow.  That is the
early version of MULTILINK made the system run very slowly when ever
more than one person was using the system.  With MULTILINK you are
able to set up foreground and background partitions.  This caused the
XT to really bog down.  If you plan only to have one person using the
system at a time, the software worked OK.  Also, the newer versions
are supposed to be better.  There is also other software that do the
job.  I can't tell from your message on the bulletin board where you
are located, but in the DC/VA/MD area, a great deal of the local
RBBS/PCBOARD bulletin boards use DOUBLEDOS to allow
multitasking/partitioning/etc.

                                                         Steve

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 87 09:00:16 EST
From: Russell Nelson <bh01%CLUTX.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: No-Delay Reads

Theoretically you can use ioctl to test for device ready.  This only works
if the device driver implements device ready properly.  Many don't.  However,
such a mechanism is there, although you are correct in that DOS always waits
for at least one character.

[There may be a test for device ready but there is still no mechanism for
non blocking reads or writes. When it arrives Microsoft will have to add
a separate system call. It sure would make my programs run better! -wab]

------------------------------

Date:        09 Mar 87 16:16:11 AST
From: "BLAIR VESSEY - USER SUPPORT" <VESSEY%UPEI.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:     Smart Forecast II

Has anyone heard of a program called "Smart Forecast II"?  Unfortunately,
I only know the name.  Any information (author, dealer, price, availability)
would be greatly appreciated.  Please send replies directly to me.  Thanks.

Blair Vessey,
Microcomputer User Support
University of Prince Edward Island
Canada
<VESSEY@UPEI.bitnet>
1-(902)-566-0552

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 87 21:10:35 EST
From: garry@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Garry Wiegand)
Subject: Hoops Announcement

** Graphics Product Announcement **

Hoops is a large, 2-D/3-D, general purpose display-list graphics
subroutine library. Hoops deals with such things as lines, polygons,
text, windows, colors, and cameras. It is designed to run on many
machines and many displays. We've put a lot of effort into: 1) a
clean design, 2) speedy program execution, and 3) keeping it cheap!

Software completed:

    C language binding
    Fortran language binding

    Support for X-Windows  (tested on Ultrix microVax/GPX's)
    Support for the microVax/GPX running VMS
    Support for the Parallax 1280 on microVax's running VMS
    Support for Postscript laser printers, including the Apple

In progress:

    Pascal language binding

    Support for the Silicon Graphics Iris work station
    Support for the Sun 3 work station
    Support for the IBM 5080 on IBM mainframes
    Support for the Number Nine "Pro1280" on IBM PC/AT's
    Support for the Pixelworks "ClipperBoard" on IBM PC/AT's

Commercial licenses are moderately priced, with large discounts for volume
purchases. University licenses are generally priced at 25% of commercial
licenses; university license fees may, under some conditions, be waived
entirely. Source code is available; demo copies are available.

For further information, call:

    Gary Wayne
    Flying Moose Systems & Graphics
    (607) 273-3690 // The Clinton House // Ithaca, New York 14850

    Garry Wiegand   (c/o garry@oak.cadif.cornell.edu)

------------------------------

To: well!nortond (Daniel A. Norton)
Subject: MSC 4.0 System Function
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 87 22:44:05 EST
From: Mark Colan <mtc@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>

>      The MSC "system" function does not work quite as one would hope it
> would.  In particular, it never returns the exit code (a.k.a.
> errorlevel) from the called program, but returns the exit code from
> COMMAND.COM instead.  This value almost always indicates success
> unless you try to pass it too many characters on the command line.

Put the blame where it belongs!  This has been true for ANY version of
ANY compiler that has a system() function.  I first encountered it with
version 2.10 of Lattice C.

The bug is in COMMAND.COM which does not return the exit code from a
program it is asked to run!  Your proposed solution (which is specific
to MSC) is an appropriate work-around.  Perhaps you should generalize
to write a routine xsystem() that does this for any given command string.

Incidentally, you MUST use the system() command if you want to execute
a .BAT file (ok, yes, you can spawn a COMMAND.COM which is instructed
to process a .BAT file - but that is effectively what system() does).

Mark Colan
MIT Project Athena

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Mar 87 19:46:21 EST
From: Dave Goldblatt <bh0u%CLUTX.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Fractal Generators

My brother recently decided to do a project on fractals on an IBM PC.
In the interest of fraternal relations, I 'volunteered' to do some
scouting on already written programs for him.  If anyone has programs
to generate Mandelbrots, fractal landscapes, etc., for Unix or MS-DOS
(any language; I'm flexible.. :-), I'd appreciate it.  I can be reached
as follows:

BITNET:  bh0u@CLUTX.BITNET
ARPANET: bh0u%CLUTX.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
uucp:    {your favorite path}!trixie!gould!clutx!bh0u

And, if all else fails:

USnail:  Dave Goldblatt
         204 Van Note
         Clarkson University
         Potsdam, New York 13676

         ("Third igloo on your left after you cross the Racquette river")

Thanks much!

-dg-

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 10 Mar 87 14:38 N
From:     <SINGPANG%HLERUL5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  New Wang PC Clone

Here in Holland there are some rumors about a new WANG PC which
should be totally IBM PC compatible. The new WANG portable is
already a sign that WANG will now make their new machines IBM compatible.
Unfortunately, no info is available about the new WANG desktop PC.
I would like to know if this machine is already available in the USA
and what are the specifications?? Also, if there isn't coming
a new PC as I mentioned, I would like to know that also.
Thanks in advance,

Marc

------------------------------

Date:     Tue, 10 Mar 87 14:33:24 +0100 (Central European Time)
From:     XBR1YD2F@DDATHD21.BITNET (Ralf Eberhardt)
Subject:  Tektronix 4010 Emulator for IBM-PC wanted

Hi folks,

I am looking for an Tektronix 4010 screen emulator for the IBM-PC/AT with
EGA card. I do not know if such a thing exists but any hint would be
appreciated.

Reason for this is, that we've got some PC's connected to a VAX. We
use Kermit to emulate VT100 Terminals and to logon to the VAX at the
PC. This works fine. The only problem is that we'd like to display
plots on the screen created by DISSPLA. 'Normally' this is done using
a Tektronix 4010 screen at the VAX which is able to show plots
created by the DISSPLA software. It is not possible to display these
plots on VT100 Terminals, so we cannot use the Kermit-Emulation for
this.  If anybody out there knows of a screen-emulator that is able
to display DISSPLA plots on the PC, please let me know.  I'm not
following this list regularly, so please send answers directly to me.
Thanx.

Ralf Eberhardt,
Technical University Darmstadt,
West Germany.

E-mail: EARN/BITNET: xbr1yd2f@ddathd21
        ARPA       : xbr1yd2f%ddathd21.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu

[This gives me an excuse to show off our new BBS. Here is what I
got when I logged in and queried the database with the key TEK:

Time used = 00:03:33, Time remaining = 99:59:59
What's next, Sysop?
-> ?,A,B,C,E,F,G,K,L,M,N,P,R,S,T,U,W,X or HELP
=> ?

Ctrl-S to Pause, Ctrl-Q to Continue
Ctrl-C to Cancel

*** DLX Commands ***

A = Answer questionnaire again       N = New essay/autobiography
B = Browse questionnaires            P = Public message board
C = Chat Lounge (live interaction)   R = Read private mail
E = Explanation of user levels       S = Send private mail
F = Facts about this system          T = Talk to the SysOp
G = Goodbye/Closing comments         U = User log display
K = Key word database search         W = Who's online now
L = Library subsystem                X = Exit and logon again
M = Master list of users
? = This list

Enter HELP for more details and other commands.

Time used = 00:03:46, Time remaining = 99:59:59
What's next, Sysop?
-> ?,A,B,C,E,F,G,K,L,M,N,P,R,S,T,U,W,X or HELP
=> k

Welcome to the KWIC INDEX! You can search the titles of all the
articles that ever appeared in INFO-IBMPC. Enter a search key and
the titles of all articles containing that key will appear. Remember
the Volume and issue number where the article appeared and later
you can use the library function to retrieve the relevant issue of
INFO-IBMPC. ^C exits to main menu.

Enter your search key or ^C to exit:
=> tek
4.057   TEK 4010 Emulator
6.010   Tek 40XX Emulation Software
5.074   Tek 4105 or DEC VT240 Emulators for PC
4.105   Tek 4107 Emulator Query GrafPoint
6.005   Tek4010 Protocol Manual
5.070   TEKTERM, PUSHDIR/POPDIR
5.068   Tektronics Emulator
5.016   Tektronix 4010 Emulator (2 msgs)
4.009   Tektronix 4014 Emulation
4.011   Tektronix 4014 Emulation
5.103   Tektronix 4014 Emulator
6.008   Tektronix 40XX Emulation Software and Display Adapter
6.001   Tektronix 4107 Graphics Terminal PC-based emulation of
4.012   Tektronix Emulation
4.048   Tektronix Emulator
5.067   Tektronix Emulator
3.014   TEKTRONIX equipment IBM-PC &
4.004   Tektronix Graphics Emulator PC-PLOT

Enter your search key or ^C to exit:
=>

Time used = 00:04:12, Time remaining = 99:59:59
What's next, Sysop?
-> ?,A,B,C,E,F,G,K,L,M,N,P,R,S,T,U,W,X or HELP
=> off

Some of these articles are queries. I have taken out most references to
"Query" or "wanted". That is because each message has a network address.
Presumably the people who asked for information eventually found it. If
you have a similar query a net note to the one who asked before might
get you an intelligent answer. Our governments are paying for these
computer networks in the hopes that scientists might communicate with
each other.

I'd really appreciate it if people would do a little research before they
send in their queries. I'd much rather see a query of the form I have
tried these TEK emulators but still need such and such a feature. Please
give a little information to get some information and this digest can be
shorter and more informative.  -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 10 Mar 87 10:17:18-EST
From: Gern <GUBBINS@RADC-TOPS20.ARPA>

Dave,

I assume that you are aware of the fractal programs in a recent Sextant
for the Z-100 & Z-150 and a large article in BYTE on fractals (with
sample programs).   The original work on Fractals is in the AUG 85 issue
of Scientific American.

Cheers,
Gern

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Mar 87 20:05:32 GMT
From: A385%EMDUCM11.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Ada

  Greetings from Spain!!!.

I'm learning ADA, and I'd like to run this language on my compatible PC-XT.
I've heard something about the ADA-ED compiler. Does anyone know about it?
Does it has have concurrent facilities? Where can I get it? How much does
it cost? Is it be worthwhile?.

I would like for users of this compiler or other ADA compilers to tell me
about their experiences running Ada on PCs.

  Thank you very much everybody in advance.

    I'm    Javier Lopez <a385%EMDUCM11.BITNET>
           Os espero!!. Contestad por favor!.
                      Adios.
[Ada references in back digests:

4.092   Ada
2.030   Ada (2 msgs)
2.064   Ada (2 msgs)
6.003   Ada Compiler
2.002   Ada Compiler Janus
4.119   Ada Compiler Janus
4.128   Ada Compiler Janus
6.011   Ada Meridian
5.019   Ada on AT Alsys
5.020   Ada on AT Alsys
4.091   Ada Query (2 msgs)
4.023   Ada Repricing Query Janus
3.047   Ada runs on Z80 8088 A Portable OS Unix Compatible with
3.048   Ada runs on Z80 8088 A Portable OS Unix Compatible with
5.056   Ada Wanted: PD sources for PC PILOT Program to convert to
 -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Mar 87 15:14:40 est
From: munnari!aaec.OZ!sba@seismo.CSS.GOV (Sal Barbagallo)
Subject: 9D pinouts on NEC-APC IV to 25D pinouts null modem

We have a NEC APC-IV which is supposed to be IBM-AT compatible and
would like to drive a serial printer with it. Unfortunately, our
IBM-AT cable doesn't work and after trying different pin
configurations with a break-out box we didn't get any where.

We have tried several dealers including the one we bought it from, all gave
differing pinouts and confessed not to know much about it. We (stupidly)
tried all (about 5) different pinout versions in the hope that one might
work but no luck. We even tried NEC (in Sydney Australia) but they didn't have
any technical staff who could help (typically they told us to see our dealer).

The operations manuals for the APC-IV are not available in Australia so we
can't see for ourselves.

We have used the "Mode" command in DOS correctly and have the computer and
printer set for 2400 Ba, 7 data bits, 1 stop bit, no parity, (with timeout)
and have tried the printer in 'modem' and 'null-modem' states. We know the
COMMS port works because we have used it with our mouse.

Can someone please (beg, beg) give me the pinouts I need to make our own
cable? Can I have the 'serial' and 'null-modem' versions. Also could someone
give me the IBM-AT version so I could double-check my old information.

Thanks very much
Sal Barbagallo.

------------------------------

Date: 6 Mar 87 09:35 PST
Sender: Mittal.pa@Xerox.COM
From: Sanjay Mittal <Mittal.pa@Xerox.COM>
Subject: Portable PCs

I would like to get information on portable PCs that have high
resolution screens, lots of memory, hard disk, at least 286 possibly
386, modem, mouse interface and light enough to carry around. Are there
any out there? Any planned? All information is appreciated, including
people's experiences, conjectures, etc.

------------------------------

Date: Fri 6 Mar 87 09:56:25-PST
From: Tony Brand <BRAND@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Scientific Solutions Tecmar LabMaster; Interrupts

A while ago someone asked about the LabMaster A/D board and whether
anyone had written any interrupt service routines to handle data
acquisition. I've looked through all my old info-pc digests and can't
find the original query. I'm interested in the same problem. I have
written gobs and gobs of code for the board, but haven't ventured
into interrupt driven data acquisition. Can anyone show me a good
source for simple examples of interrupt service routines. Just to
complicate life further I usually do EVERYTHING in Turbo Pascal but
could be persuaded to get out my C compiler!

Tony Brand
Trenton State College
Voice (609)-771-3013
Data  (609)-530-0486, 8-N-1, 2400/1200, BBS with over 30Mbytes of
      latest PC software, etc.

[Any of the serial port drivers in the info-ibmpc show how to do interrupts.
I recommend com_pkg2.asm. -wab]

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 06 Mar 87 20:07:48 EST
From:         Dean Carpenter <ST701979%BROWNVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: JRAM Problems

Does anyone in netland have any experience with the older original JRAM
boards ?  These are the 512K per board ones ...

I have two which have been performing flawlessly for the last two and a
half years in my expansion unit attached to an XT.  A few days ago I noticed
that there were a few read errors from the ramdisk ...  Not supposed to get
such errors from a non-physical ram disk.  Running the MEMTEST program
provided with the boards (latest version) produced some conflicting results:

After the system had just been powered up the ramdisk worked fine.  10 minutes
later files on it would be corrupted - comparing a good file from the hard
disk to a copy on the ram disk showed that hex 1F was changed to 1E, 9f to 9E
and so on.  Sometimes it was other bits that went bad, but with that sort of
a pattern.  The MEMTEST program would cycle through the banks of memory and
find no problem for 10 minutes, then various chips in all banks would seem
to just "go south"".  The program identifies the exact failing chips on the
boards.  Replacing 64K banks left and right didn't seem to solve the problem.
I find it hard to believe that both boards would fail at the same time and in
the same way.  Everything else in the system is fine, and it all runs from
a surge suppressor, so I don't think it was a voltage spike or some such.
I tested the boards in another system with the same results.

Tall Tree (manufacturer) couldn't offer any help over the phone, and they
want $20 a piece just to take a look at them.  Then they'll call me with a
price for fixing them.  The technician kindly offered to sell me a newer
JRAM-2 board for $199 with 0K.  I shudder to remember the populated price ...

These boards being vintage 1983, I hoped that some soul might have a glimmer
of light to offer before I bite the bullet, make wall decorations out of
them and purchase an AST RamPage ...

Thanks - Dean Carpenter
         ST701979 at BROWNVM.BITNET

[Move the boards and try the same diagnostic in another PC. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 6 Mar 87 10:42:05-PST
From: Tony Brand <BRAND@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Talltree Jlaser

I have Talltree Jlaser in a Canon LBP-8 A1, but no software.
Has anyone written any public domain drivers, etc?
All I'm looking for is a way to draw a graphic image by addressing the
EMS memory. The documentation is very skimpy.

Tony Brand
Trenton State College
Voice (609)-771-3013
Data  (609)-530-0489, 2400/1200baud 8-N-1, PC based BBS

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 6 Mar 87 14:54:43 EST
From:     Clif Sothoron <cbsoth@BRL>
cc:       cbsoth@BRL.ARPA
Subject:  Ratfor Compiler

  I have been trying to find a Ratfor compiler for the IBM PC-AT.
Someone mentioned that a company called Logical Developments sells this,
but I do not know that company. Can anyone give me a clue?

  Thanks in advance,

                       Clif...

Clifton B. Sothoron Jr.
Ballistic Research Laboratory
Aberdeen Proving Grounds, Md.
cbsoth@brl

------------------------------

Date: 6  Mar 87  2:51 -0800
From: "Ya`akov N. Miles" <bd%dac.triumf.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Digital Equipment DECNET-DOS Problems

Has anyone had any experience with Digital Equipment's "Decnet-Dos"?
This networking system allows an IBM-PC (compatible) to connect to
the proprietary DECNET system thru ETHERNET.  We are experiencing the
following problems, and are having trouble getting answers from DEC.

 o Non-blocking reads (thru the RCVD assembly call) do not appear to
   function as documented.  They return a false completion status,
   and eventually cause the PC to crash, requiring a re-boot.

 o Transmitting buffers from the PC (thru the SEND assembly call)
   cause the first byte in the buffer to be overwritten with random
   data.

Does anyone else out there have any experience with Decnet-Dos?
Can they add to my list of bugs?  Does anyone know how to get
DEC to respond to and fix bugs in THEIR software?

Please reply:	<bd@triumfcl.bitnet>

[Perhaps someone at DEC will forward this where appropriate. -wab]

------------------------------

From: scubed!ncr-sd!se-sd!dennis@seismo.CSS.GOV
Date: Fri, 6 Mar 87 12:52:45 pst
Subject: 286 Accelerator board for NCR PC-4

I am looking for an accelerator board that is compatible with an
NCR PC-4.  Does anybody know of one???  I have tried an Orchid
Tiny Turbo 286 and a Maynard Surprise/286, neither of which would
work in 286 mode (they both work in 8088 mode).

Please E-Mail responses to:

       ...!seismo!scubed!ncr-sd!se-sd!dennis

Thanks!!!

End of Info-IBMPC Digest