[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V6 #19

Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU.UUCP (03/28/87)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Friday, 27 March 1987      Volume 6 : Issue 19

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Topics:

                 Make and Break Key Codes Morse Code
                           Cursor Graphics
                     CMU Offers Graphics Package
                             Disk Fixing
                            KWIC Generator
                         Statistical Packages
                  Complex Arithmetic with MS Fortran
               RAMPAGE Card and 80286 Accelerator Cards
                     Pop Up Scinetific Calculator
                   Talltree JRAM-3 and Jlaser Card
                     Deleting long Directory Path (3 Msgs)
                ZAP VT100 Tektronix Terminal Emulator
                   Tektronix Emulator via SIMTEL20
                         SIMTEL20 File Server
           3d Animation Program now Available from SIMTEL20
     Memory Resident Spreadsheet InstaCalc Available on SIMTEL20
               Line Printer Capture Program LPTx v6.00
                         Parameter Ram Backup
                         More MS Fortran 4.0
                          FORTRAN Benchmarks
                    Framework Questions Responses
      Getting Information about MS-DOS Machines Though Networks
                         More Decnet Dos Woes
       Indentation of Switch Statements Multiple Marks CXTND.E
      Warning about Mixing EGA and Videodisk Proceedings Editor
                  Shareware and National Characters
                     VAXmate Technical Reference
Today's Queries:
                      NETBIOS Information Wanted
                      MicroEmacs Sources Needed
                               ANSI.SYS
          IBM Token Ring Novell Netware Async Server Problem
                    Bug in MS-DOS Floppy Handling
                   How does DOS Manage its Buffers
                         ARC needed for Unix
                 Framework II Screen Driver for WY700
                         Expert System Shells
                    Mailing Label Programs Wanted
                    Russian Word Processor Wanted
                     Making Rainbow100 Compatible
                       MS-DOS Goes to Cleveland
                           Digitized Voice
                            327x Emulators
                    Everex HD/FD Controller Query
                           Secured PC Query
  Formula to Relate Number of Wait States Memory and Processor Speed
                        DOS 3.2 on Compatibles
                         Speller Dictionaries
                       Creating a New DOS Shell
                       Cross Assembler for 6502
                    VMS/Vax as Mac PC file server
                    Slowing Autorepeat on Keyboard
                 dDBASE III Frequency Analysis Wanted
                       Microport Unix vs. Xenix
                      Graphics Software Request
                      Integration of PC and VAX
                     Want to Kill Keyboard Repeat
                   Computer Products United Micros
                          Postscript Filters
                   Finding Current Application Name
                          FileCard 20 on AT

INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213)827-2635 (213)827-2515

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 87 00:23:32 EST
From: "Keith F. Lynch" <KFL%MX.LCS.MIT.EDU@MC.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Make and Break Key Codes Morse Code

Thanks to all those who replied to my query regarding make and break
keyboard codes in Turbo Pascal.

The trick is simply to look at "port[96]" which will have a value less
than 128 if a key is down and more than 128 if no key is down.  Which
value depends on which key is down (or was most recently pressed if
more than one key is down) or was most recently released.  The down
and up codes for a given key differ by exactly 128, and can be found
for each key by writing a short test program.  For instance on my
machine the left shift key gives 42 when down and 170 when released.

Given this, it is easy to write a program to for instance make a
different musical note depending on which key is down.  My application
is to write a program to allow the user to "type" in Morse code on
any one key, and have the machine know what is being typed.
								...Keith

------------------------------

Date: 19 Mar 1987 09:08-EST
Sender: MHARRIS@G.BBN.COM
Subject: Cursor Graphics
From: MHARRIS@G.BBN.COM

Five Business Systems, (818) 995-7671.  He's developed a screen graphics
package which may be useful to you.

-- Michael Harris

------------------------------

Date: Thursday, 19 March 1987 17:18:35 EST
From: Peter.Levin@henry.ece.cmu.edu
To: Info-IBMPC@c.isi.edu
Subject: CMU Offers Graphics Package

We have just completed a simple MicroSoft C program that easily implements
primitive graphics functions on the IBM PC with an Enhanced Graphics
Adapter.  Additionally, the program also includes an interface to MicroSoft
or Mouse Systems mice.

The only system requirement is 128K (or more) of graphics memory, not an
unusual configuration for people with EGA or compatible boards.

The program is extremely well documented.  A user's manual is
included.  It was originally developed as part of another program
called the Charge Simulation Program, an electrostatics problem
solver.  We have simply taken the appropriate procedures and made a
stand alone program out of them.

Please direct inquiries to :

InstructSystems
University Technology Development Center
4516 Henry Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
(412 - 672 - 8030)

or send electronic mail to :

pete@henry.ece.cmu.edu.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 87 21:42:11 est
From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi@rochester.arpa>
Subject: Disk Fixing

I would like to report that I have had good results
with the "Ultra Utilities".  The last version I used
was dated 1984, and I don't know if there has been an update
since then.  The suggested shareware price is about $40.
These programs let you view and modify any sector on a floppy,
copy sectors between or within disks, and do custom formatting,
with different numbers and sizes of sectors.

Mike Ciaraldi
ARPA:   ciaraldi@rochester.edu
uucp:   seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 87 21:49:48 est
From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi@rochester.arpa>
Subject: KWIC Generator

I'm looking for a program that will generate KWIC
(Key Word In Context) indexes (indices?).  Preferably public
domain or inexpensive.
I looked in the various ARPA archives, and the nearest I could find
was one for CP/M and CP/M-86 (SIG/M Volume 173).
A recent INFO-IBMPC digest featured a KWIC index as part of an
answer, so there must be such software around somewhere.
Thanks.

Mike Ciaraldi
ARPA:  ciaraldi@rochester.edu
uucp:  seismo!rochester!ciaraldi

[Read Software Tools in (Pascal/C) by Kernighan and Plauger. Kwic generators
and Sort routines are a major part of this book. The actual kwic program
is about a dozen lines long. If you already have a sort routine available you
are 90% done. I use Unix sort. Even with FTP time a real VAX wins when sorting
multi megabyte files. -wab]

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 20 Mar 87 11:15 N
From:     <DRAYER%HGRRUG5.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Statistical Packages

Hello all!

Sorry...I bungled things up somewhere along the line, and my summary of the
replies on my query concerning statistical packages got sent to a black hole
somewhere. I hope no-one was too disappointed.

So here's what I've concluded concerning the following packages for the PC:

SAS-PC:
        At least 3 times more expensive in Europe than in the US, also for
        universities, which means this is the most expensive package. This
        pricing is enough to put me off. And it probably is the slowest
        of the 4. Takes up a lot of room on your HD...include that in the
	price too!

STATGRAPHICS:
        Has beautiful graphics. Same price range as Systat. Cannot handle
        more than a few variables and cases, so it's not really comparable
        with the other 3.

SPSS/PC+:
        Like SAS-PC, this package takes up a lot of HD room, so that has to
        be added to the price. Our university has a site license for the 3
        main parts of the package, so it's not too expensive. Taking the extra
        needed HD room into account, the package is slightly more expensive
        than Systat or Statgraphics. The package can be classed as "semi-
        interactive" I'd say. It's fast when a coprocessor is available.
        The commands look like, but are not the same, as SPSS/X. Why o why did
        they have to make them different? No programming language like in
        SAS or Systat is available.

SYSTAT:
        To get to the point, this is the chosen one...
        It's the only package of the 4 to include time series analysis.
        The main drawback of Systat is it's very limited graphical
        capabilities. It's fast, takes up less than a third of the HD space
        needed by SPSS/PC+, and can even be run from floppies. Two versions
        are available, the extended version utilizes 512K RAM, the other less.
        Can anyone tell me WHY WHY WHY people in the US pay $595 and we in
        Europe have to pay $695 (yes, an extra $100).
        I like Systats language, it's much terser than SPSS or SAS. This
        is the main reason I chose this package. I hate remembering and typing
        long commands.

I hope this was not too chaotic. This wasn't intended as a product review.
Other products were mentioned by some people (GAUSS). It seems to me however
that the above 4 are most used and known.

                       Nick Drayer jr
                       Groningen University
                       Holland
                       Bitnet: DRAYER@HGRRUG5

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 87 10:49:18 EST
From: Bernard_Tiffany@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Complex Arithmetic with MS Fortran

Regarding  to  the  topic  "Complex  Arithmetic with MS Fortran" on
Info-IBMPC digest, Volume 6: Issue 17.

> I have discovered that the Microsoft Fortran compiler v.  3.31
> produces very poor code for complex arithmetic ... [especially]
> complex multiplications.

It  is true that mainframe Fortran compilers such as IBM VS Fortran
compiler V2.1.1 generate inline code  for  complex  multiplications
for  speed.  For example, on an IBM 3090-400 computer, 1000 complex
multiplications took 938 microseconds with OPT(3).  The  vectorized
code is even better: 436 microseconds with OPT(3) VECTOR. Microsoft
Fortran Optimizing compiler v4.00 does not generate inline code for
complex  multiplications;  the  subroutine  __FHcfmulcd  was called
along with several 8087 instructions (two fld's and two fstp's).

With  Microsoft  Fortran  Optimizing  compiler, I tried the complex
multiplications on 5-element  COMPLEX*16  arrays  1000  times.  The
complex multiplications took 1.26 seconds on an IBM PC-XT with 8087
and 640K memory; and the scalar equivalent took  1.76  seconds. The
default is now $NOFLOATCALLS with 8087 library.

    Bernard Tiffany
    University of Michigan
    Ann Arbor, Michigan

------------------------------

Date: Fri 20 Mar 87 12:52:55-PST
From: Ivan Auger <LAWRENCE.Auger@BIONET-20.ARPA>
Subject: RAMPAGE Card and 80286 Accelerator Cards

I have solved the problem of using an AST RAMPAGE card on an IBMPC/XT
with a 286 Express accelerator card (which does caching).  The trick is
to load in a device driver to trap parity errors.  This should be the
first driver.  Then you should load in the REMM.SYS driver.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Mar 87 17:09:00 EST
From: "V703::S_DANIELS" <s_daniels%v703.decnet@nusc>
Subject: Pop Up Scinetific Calculator

Some people have been asking about this. I put up a msg some time
back about 2 versions:

   - the commercial version
   - my own kludge

The commercial version is PRO/SCI and PRO/BIZ, from SYMSOFT. Phone is
415-962-9500. I don't know if they are still in business.

Another company has one called KSH-1 SCIenmtific Calculator. This is
from K SOFTWARE HOUSE  in Tennessee. Phone 615-294-5090. Was reviewed
in PC Tech Journal July 86.

My own effort grew out of Turbo, Pascal's MINI CALC spreadsheet.
Since I have source code, it is easily extensible. I haven't worked
on it in a while. If anyone is interested, call me weekdays and we
can arrange a transfer.

Scott Daniels (203) 440-5327
Naval U/W Systems

------------------------------

Date: 20 Mar 87 14:35:30 PST (Friday)
Subject: Talltree JRAM-3 and Jlaser Card
From: "BOB_FORSYTH.XRCC-NS"@Xerox.COM

I have been struggling with a Talltree JLASER card attempting to obtain
some reasonable output from our Cordata printer. Running the Joutput
program supplied I get the described cross/box but the left edge of the
print comes out black for about .5 inch, it has a firm left edge from
the start of scan and a ragged right edge. The raggedness carries across
to make the lines that are intended by the program fuzzy. I have also
tried to output a picture file from Ventura Publisher and have obtained
the same black band and raggedness in the picture.

I have tried to talk to Talltree and have tried out their various
changes to the driver defaults with no improvement. This note comes
after inserting the third replacement board, a solution they usually
arrive at when all their instructed changes to driver default fail. The
problem appears to me to be some kind of timing error that occurs while
transferring the data file to the printer.
I hope that someone out there may have found  a  solution that can be
passed on to me and any others who may be struggling to end this
trouble.
BOB

------------------------------

To: Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU
Subject: Deleting long Directory Path
From: marcl@3Com.COM (Marc Lavine at 3Com Corporation)
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 87 21:52:08 PST

In Volume 6, #18, Gene Hart asked about how to remove a directory with
the name:

\junk1\junk2\junk3\junk4\junk5\junk6\junk7\junk8\junk9\junk10\junk11\junk12

He said that he could cd all the way down to junk10.  To get rid of
the lower directories from there, just try "rmdir junk11\junk12" and
then "rmdir junk11".

What I've found is that DOS's limit of 64 characters for directory
names is only a limit for CHANGING to that directory.  DOS allows you
(programmatically, anyway) to create and otherwise manipulate
directories (and files in them) with significantly longer names.  In
fact, if you had a program that had arbitrarily large buffers for
directory names, I suspect that you would find that there is NO length
limit for most operations (since I don't think DOS needs to store the
name of files (other than an executing batch file, perhaps) to
manipulate them, but simply accesses them by traversing the
directories in the name, no matter how many levels there are).  Of
course, these directories aren't that great since you can't "cd" to
them and they screw up normal programs expecting 64 character maximum
paths that try to reference them.

------------------------------

Date: 19 Mar 87  3:05 -0800
From: "Ya`akov N. Miles" <bd%dac.triumf.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>

In order to delete your "\JUNK\JUNK\JUNK\JUNK..." directory, may I suggest
that you run one of the many disk repair utilities, and modify the root
directory "\JUNK" so as it loses its "directory" status, then delete it.
You will have a bunch of lost clusters - recover them with CHKDSK /F and
then delete all files in the root directory ending in CHK

reply:	<bd@triumfcl.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 87 15:52:07 CST
From: Jess Anderson <anderson@unix.macc.wisc.edu>

Digest vol. 18 had a query about how to delete an oddball directory.
Recently I (foolishly :-) tried a CGA simulator program obtained from
a local BBS, and upon losing interest in trying to get it to go, I
discovered a new directory on my hard disk (could have been worse,
right?). It had a one-byte name, FE (hex), which I couldn't figure
out how to enter as a parameter for the rmdir command. However, an
excellent file manager program called QFiler, available on many
BBSs and at SIMTEL20, lets you point at the thing, mark it, and
delete it, obviating the necessity of entering the name. Worked
like a champ. QFiler is shareware.

Standard disclaimers, etc.       Jess Anderson (anderson@unix.macc.wisc.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 27 Mar 87 12:03:47 EST
From: swatsun!byzantium!platt@seismo.CSS.GOV (Steve Platt)
Subject: ZAP VT100 Tektronix Terminal Emulator

The address for obtaining ZAP (terminal emulator/VT100/Tektronix) is probably
incorrect, although the post office may forward it.  Paul Fishwick, author
of ZAP, moved to Florida last year.

I *have* seen ZAP advertised in various periodicals (Dr. Dobb's, for
instance) by one or more of the standard mail-order places.  I believe
Solution Systems was/is marketing ZAP.

  -steve platt

------------------------------

Date:     Thu,  19 Mar 87 19:17:26 CET
From:     Eberhard W. Lisse <LISSE%DACTH51.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Tektronix Emulator via SIMTEL20

Hi,
Pete Galvin has responded to my last message.
I'll send the package to him and he will install it on SIMTEL20.ARPA.
I do not want to send the same file more than once over the gateway
if it is not necessary.
He will be posting a message once he has it on line.

I'll send it direct to BITNET users or users without FTP access to
SIMTEL20.ARPA.

el

[There were several messages one from London and the other from Australia
asking that the terminal emulator be sent as mail as file access is not
practical over long distances. Those people and others please note SIMTEL20
can now send you these binary files as mail! Please don't ask info-ibmpc
we will just direct you to SIMTEL20. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Mar 1987  07:08 MST
Sender: KPETERSEN@SIMTEL20.ARPA
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>
Subject: SIMTEL20 File Server

> Pardon my ignorance Keith, but what is the user name of your file server
> for net mail? If I would like to fetch a file using net mail I should
> state the filename in the subject line, shouldn't I?  I guess you get a
> lot of letters asking for the same thing all the time, but I hope you
> don't mind helping me...

I don't mind at all.  The files are here for everyone to access.
Internet users should use FTP rather than net mail.  FTP transfers the
files much faster and avoids placing additional load on the mailer.

The subject line is ignored by the file server.

The file server cannot answer requests which use a path that includes
seismo.  The most successful route is ucbvax because they have an
excellent program that properly formats the "From:" line of messages
coming through the gateway.

To obtain up to five files in a single request message by net mail from
the public domain archives kept on SIMTEL20.ARPA, send a message to:

ARCHIVE-REQUEST@SIMTEL20.ARPA

or via uucp:
   ...!ucbvax!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!uw-beaver!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!decwrl!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!lll-crg!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!ut-sally!simtel20.arpa!archive-request
   ...!harvard!simtel20.arpa!archive-request

[do NOT use host "seismo" - they are blocking messages from the server]

The message body must contain lines beginning with the keyword SEND,
one SEND line for each file requested.  Case is not significant.

The general syntax of a SEND line is:

SEND format filename

In general, a filename consists of the following components:

device:<directory>file.type.generation

"device:" is usually PD:, and the combination of PD:<directory> is
expected unless an alias has been advertised of the form "alias:",
which takes the place of both device and directory fields.  The
generation field should be left off in order to default to the highest
generation number so you can be sure of getting the latest version of
the file requested.  "file.type" follows the usual file naming
conventions.

In all formats listed below, if the file to be sent is larger than
55K, the file is sent in numbered parts.  The parts must be
reassembled in order and edited to remove any headers, preface, and
trailers before the process can be reversed to reconstruct the
original file.

Allowable formats are:

SEND HELP
        This file you are reading now.

SEND INFO
        A detailed description of the SIMTEL20 Archives, which
        includes this file, pointers to certain key files, and
        descriptions of various file transfer programs and related
        utilities.

SEND BOOTSTRAP
        A brief quick reference listing of filenames of the key
        utilities used to reconstruct files sent by the compression
        and encoding techniques listed below.

SEND DIR filespec
        This format returns a CRC list of the requested files, and is
        the only format which allows wild card filenames (but not
        wild card directory names).  The list is sent as an ASCII text
        file.  The wild card characters are "*" and "%".  The asterisk
        means any number of characters, while the percent sign means
        exactly one character.  Either or both may appear in any
        combination in either or both the file or type fields, while
        only the asterisk may appear in the generation field.

SEND RAW filename
        If the file is ASCII, it is sent as-is, regardless of size.
        This format is the least efficient over network and mail
        gateway resources.  Use this format only if you absolutely
        must.

With the four formats listed below, if the file is ASCII and under 25k
characters, it is sent as-is, as if RAW format was requested.  Binary
files are always processed according to the requested format.
However, a request for ARC or SQ processing of files with type ".ARC",
".LBR", or ".%Q%" is ignored and the original file is either uuencoded
or hexified (if possible), according to the requested format.  If the
file was not sent RAW, a short preface is inserted at the front of the
message describing the process actually taken and a CRC entry
describing the original file.

SEND ARE filename  or  SEND filename
        The original file is made into a uuencoded ARC file.

SEND ARH filename
        The original file is made into a hexified ARC file if the ARC
        file is under 64K bytes long.  Otherwise, an apology is
        returned instead of the requested file.

SEND SQE filename
        The original file is made into a uuencoded SQueezed file.

SEND SQH filename
        The original file is made into a hexified SQueezed file if the
        Squeezed file is under 64K bytes long.  Otherwise, an apology
        is returned instead of the requested file.

To get started in finding your way around the SIMTEL20 archives, send
a message to the server with the request: SEND INFO

--Keith Petersen
Arpa: W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA
Uucp: {bellcore,decwrl,harvard,lll-crg,ucbvax,uw-beaver}!simtel20.arpa!w8sdz
GEnie Mail: W8SDZ

[OK Now all you folks world over who want shareware sent to you as mail here
is your chance! -wab]

------------------------------

Date: 12 Mar 87 16:45:25 GMT
From: dalcs!dalegass@SEISMO.CSS.GOV (Dale Gass)
Subject: 3d Animation Program now Available from SIMTEL20

Now available from SIMTEL20...

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.SCREEN>
3DM.ARC.1			BINARY	 13109  AD49H

3DM is a 3d animation program for the IBM-PC with CGA.  I posted a
similar one about a month ago.  This one is much more flexible, and
uses '.mov' files to find out how to set up the windows, what figures
to use, and how to rotate them.

The file 'descript.mov' describes the basic layout of these files.
There are 5 others that can actually be used:

    3d.mov	- a group of 5 objects - similar to the original prog.
    cube.mov	- a single cube
    cyl.mov	- a cylinder
    sur.mov	- a 3d surface
    sphere.mov	- a sphere

By passing these file name to the '3dm' program, it will interpret the
files: i.e. '3dm cyl' will draw a large cylinder on the screen, as
described in the cyl.mov file...  If you have limited memory, you may
need to modify the step-size parameter in the '.mov' files to make
coarser animation.

Enjoy...

Dale Gass, Dalhousie U., Halifax, N.S., Canada

UUCP:   {seismo|watmath|utai|garfield}!dalcs!dalegass.UUCP
     				       or dalegass@dalcs.UUCP
        ...!dalcs!dalcsug!dalegass.UUCP  or dalegass@dalcsug.UUCP
CDN:    dalegass@cs.dal.cdn
CSNET:  dalegass%cs.dal.cdn@ubc.csnet
ARPA:   dalegass%cs.dal.cdn%ubc.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Thu 19 Mar 87 08:13:43-PST
From: Bruce Buzbee <BUZ@SRI-KL.ARPA>
Subject: Memory Resident Spreadsheet InstaCalc Available on SIMTEL20

I have transferred over to SIMTEL20 an archived copy of InstaCalc, a
user supported memory resident spreadsheet.

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.SPREADSHEET>
INSTA.ARC.1			BINARY	100516  11A0H

Program: InstaCalc

Company: The FormalWare Co.
         P.O. Box 21726
         San Jose, CA. 95151-1726

Registration: $35 (+$5s/h)

InstaCalc is a fast, full feature memory resident spreadsheet.  It has
256 columns and 256 rows.

- You can pop up in the middle of an application (word processor, data base,
etc) and import and export data between InstaCalc and the application.
- You can directly import Lotus .WKS files
- 44 pre defined functions
- context sensitive help screens
- powerful macro facility
- can confine recalculation to a range of cells
- hidden columns
- You can perform any kind of modification on all the numbers in a range.  For
example, you can have InstaCalc double all of the numbers in a range.
- And a whole lot more...

------------------------------

Date: 19 Mar 87 06:17:23 GMT
From: esosun!ucsdhub!jack!man!wolf!markd@SEISMO.CSS.GOV (Mark Divecchio)
Subject: Line Printer Capture Program LPTx v6.00

Now available from SIMTEL20...

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.PRINTER>
LPT600.ARC.1			BINARY	 31596  CCB2H

LPT600.ARC is version 6.00 of my Line Printer Capture program LPTx.

LPTx allows you to redirect most printer output to a disk file. This
version works fairly well under DOS 3.x which caused earlier versions
to fail. I have been distributing version 6 as a Beta release for
a few months and users have had enough success to warrant this posting.
The source and documentation describe the conditions under which it
works and under which it does not work well.

Enclosed in the ARC is the source in assembly language, a documentation
file and the .COM executable.

Anyone interested in the earlier versions of LPTx or on the lookout
for future updates can check with the Fido Bulletin Board at
619-741-3412.

Mark C. DiVecchio 10435 Mountain Glen Terrace, San Diego, CA 92131
K3FWT			Home of PC-VT and LPTx		619-566-6810
sdcsvax!man!wolf!markd

------------------------------

From: Ralf.Brown@b.gp.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Parameter Ram Backup
Date: 15 Mar 87 19:49:34 GMT

I too have an AT clone with 4 pen light batteries for the clock.  Here are
two small BASIC programs I hacked up a few months ago: the first reads the
NV-RAM and displays its contents on the screen, and the second restores the
contents from DATA statements in the program (which you would put in according
to the values displayed by the first program).

The first program displays three columns of three numbers on the screen.  For
each group of three numbers, the first is the address (in hex), the second and
third are the value in hex and in decimal.

10 FOR X = 0 TO 63
20 OUT &H70,X+128
30 Y=INP( &H71 )
40 IF X < 16 THEN PRINT "0";
50 PRINT HEX$(X);"  ";
60 IF Y < 16 THEN PRINT "0";
70 PRINT HEX$(Y);"  ";
80 PRINT RIGHT$("   "+STR$(Y),3);
90 IF X MOD 3 = 2 THEN PRINT ELSE PRINT ,,
100 NEXT
110 END
1000 CLS
1010 FOR X = 1 TO 2500:LOCATE 1,1
1020 OUT &H70,128
1030 Y=INP( &H71 )
1060 IF Y < 16 THEN PRINT "0";
1070 PRINT HEX$(Y);"  ";
1080 PRINT RIGHT$("   "+STR$(Y),3);
1090 NEXT

Change the DATA statement in the following to contain the values displayed
by the previous program for locations 0E to 32 (hex) inclusive.

You will need to set the time and date after restoring the NV-RAM
(unless you want to modify the second program).  I didn't include the
locations containing time and date since they obviously change while
the rest of the RAM doesn't unless you run the setup program.

10 FOR X = 14 TO 50: READ Y: OUT &H70,X:OUT &H71,Y:NEXT
20 DATA 0,0,16,0,240,0,49,128,2,128,1,17,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0,0
21 DATA 0,0,2,69,128,1,25

+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+
| ARPA:  RALF@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU            "Teaching COBOL ought to be         |
| AT&T:  (412) 268-3053 (school)          regarded as a criminal act"        |
| Snail: Ralf Brown                           --- Edsger Dijkstra            |
|        Computer Science Department                                         |
|        Carnegie-Mellon University      DISCLAIMER?  Who ever said I claimed|
|        Pittsburgh, PA 15213            anything?                           |
+=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-+

------------------------------

Date:     Mon, 23 Mar 1987 14:42 PST
From:     JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject:  More MS Fortran 4.0
To:       info-ibmpc@c.isi.edu

  I submitted the original query about 'what do I get for $150
from MS Fortran 4.0'. The replies were not very enlightening
other than mentioning Codeview but I guess this is because
there is not really much to say other than that it brings MS
Fortran (finally) up to ANSI 77. I still would like to hear
about conversion problems from anybody with any experience
with  it.

  Interestingly, the campus bookstore here is offering the new
version for $170. I don't know how close to cost that is and
whether it represents educational discounts but that is so
close to the $150 upgrade to indicate that the wholesale price
and the upgrade cost are nearly equal. It suggests to me that
MS (and perhaps the other vendors) see the market for some
development tools as relatively saturated and that the only way
maintain revenues is to hook them low and then price the
upgrades higher once you've got them to keep the cash flowing
because you won't get many more new ones. That, and the
assumption that us developers are rich enough to buy expensive
software often (not always true for educational institutions
guys).

   Though I don't expect it, I really would like to hear what
somebody from Microsoft has to say about all this.

  Jeff Sicherman

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Mar 87 12:24:11 +0100 (Central European Time)
From: XBR4D715%DDATHD21.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: FORTRAN Benchmarks

        Hi Billy!

        Some time ago I made some measurements with various compilers/
        machines. Microsoft FORTRAN is quite slow compared with
	Ryan McFarlands F77 (full Fortran 77)
        The first test was double prec WHETSTONE: (kilo-Instru's/sec)

                  >>>    DOUBLE PRECISION WHETSTONES    <<<
        machine   I                         compiler                 I
                  I     MS V3.31     I RM V1.01 I    RM V2.10        I
                  I---------------------------------------------------
                  I        ----------- options -------------------   I
                  I---------------------------------------------------
                  I  float  I no_fl. I    /b    I        I 80286/287 I
                  I---------------------------------------------------
        AT   6MHz I    77   I    73  I    82    I   106  I    109    I
        AT  12MHz I   143   I   136  I   141    I   194  I    200    I
        XT  10MHz I    88   I    77  I   154    I   137  I           I
        ATT 6300  I         I        I          I        I           I
         V30, 8MHzI   112   I   104  I   166    I   173  I           I
        To compare: VAX 11/780, FPA, VMS 4.4 :  800 KIPS
                    VAX 8500,   FPA, VMS 4.4 : 2500 KIPS

        The second test I used was the well known (?) double prec. LU
        benchmark by Jack Dongarra, counting floating point OP's, not
        instru's. The results were:

        machine                                        I   kFlops    I
        ATT 6300   8087-2,  DOS 2.11, RM V2.10         I     29.7    I
        VAX 11/750 w/o  FPA, VMS 4.4 opt. comp.        I     30.5    I
        VAX 11/780 with FPA, VMS 4.4 opt. comp.        I    151.9    I
        VAX 8500   with FPA, VMS 4.4 opt. comp.        I    565.9    I

        These measurements lead to the conclusion NOT to use MS Fortran.
        RM Fortran can be linked with MS FORTRAN/PASCAL/C
        routines, so there are no problems with existing LIB's.

        Hope I was of help !

        If you are interested, I can send You the sources of the programs
        used !

        Greetings from EUROPE,

        Klaus D. Schmitt
        Institute f. El Power Supply
        Technical University Darmstadt
        Federal Republic of Germany

        (DATEX-P: 45615130514::BR4::D715)

------------------------------

Date: 23 Mar 87 09:24 EST
From: David A. Potter / McDonnell Douglas  <DAP.MDC@OFFICE-1.ARPA>
Subject: Framework Questions Responses

I received ten responses to my query about a place to which Framework-related
questions could be sent.  Several were offers of assistance (for which I am
grateful); all expressed interest in starting a net interest group / mailing
list to support Framework-related dialog.  Unfortunately, no one is in a
position to handle the work associated with such a list....

So I suppose this will go no farther.  But I did feel that all those who
responded deserved to know the outcome.

Thanks -- David

[I can understand why nobody would volunteer to run a mailing list! -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 87 16:53:24 MEZ
From: IWI7B3%DERRZE1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Getting Information about MS-DOS Machines Though Networks

* Getting information about MS-DOS machines through wide area networks
* Thorsten Glattki <IWI7B3@DERRZE1>

There are, as everyone of us knows, file servers for several subjects
out in netland.  You can find them in EARN, BITNET, ARPANET, UUCP and
all other more or less well known wide area networks.  They cover
several subjects: documents (e.g. for networking like the RFC's and
all other formats and protocols), articles and information about
several machines and public domain software for some widespread
operating systems (most of these files in BITNET are for VM/CMS, and
in UUCP most are for UNIX). Working with MS-DOS machines (e.g. IBM-PC
and clones) as well as with big mainframes in the above networks one
fine day I thought that there should be also some information about
these machines in netland reachable using our mainframes.  So I
started looking around where to get such things.

Thanks a lot to all people who gave me tips where they had heard of
something similar. During the last 365 days I compiled a list of
where to get files for MS-DOS machines.  In the meantime some friends
of mine in several institutions got to know about this list,
requested it and found it useful. As some asked me to offer the list
to public, I asked some network administrators of some file servers
whether they could install it on their servers. Now the list is
available through LFCNET@ICNUCEVM.BITNET, the fine file server in
Italy of Niccolo Avico. Perhaps within this year it will be also
available through two more servers.  But we only have just installed
the file list at LFCNET and not all information files In this file list
which is called ..... on LFCNET and PC FILE LIST elsewhere, you will
find the names of other useful files : help files and file lists
(directories) of several servers which are offering files for MS-DOS
machines, names, addresses and information about several user
groups/mailboxes/mailing lists which are offering more information
about MS-DOS and related subjects. Up to now unfortunately you have
to request all those help files individually from my own account by
just sending me mail that you want to receive all PC FILE LIST files.
I will let you know when all other files are placed on public disks.
Please note: PC FILE LIST will only tell you where to get more special
information and files. I think that PC FILE LIST is quite complete and
up-to-date.  If you should find other servers or new info about
file servers please inform me about what has changed so I can update
FILE LIST.

Special thanks to Chris Condon's BITNET SERVERS, Gligor Tashlikov's
NETWORKS FILE LIST, Richard Zellich's List-of-Lists, Nicco Avico's
LFCNET server, Mr Berthold Pasch (one of the men working for
NETSERV@DEARN) and -not to forget it- CSNEWS's VM/COM which had been
very helpful to compiling my list and then to offering it for public
use.  Keep up the good work !

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 87 10:20 -0800
From: "Ya`akov N. Miles" <bd%dac.triumf.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: More Decnet Dos Woes

We have installed DECNET-DOS 1.1 on our (generic) AT running PHOENIX bios,
with the 3COM interface.  Everything goes fine for about two minutes after
booting the AT, at which point the AT gets dropped off the (Ethernet) network
Subsequent attempts to connect to other nodes using SETHOST cause the AT
to CRASH, and the only cure seems to be a re-boot.  We have disabled MULTICAST
and SERVICE on the circuit.  Does anyone have any further ideas?

Please reply:	<bd@triumfcl.bitnet>
		<tryn@ubcmtsg.bitnet>

------------------------------

From: <kubitron@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Indentation of Switch Statements Multiple Marks CXTND.E
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 87 14:25:18 EST

This is in response to Jim Anderson's query regarding Epsilon and the
indentation of switch statements.  Following, is the eel code for and
extended C mode, which I have called "C-Extended."  This does a
reasonable job of indenting switch statements.

Furthermore, it adds ten marks which can be set with CTRL-F1 through
CTRL-F10.  You can return to a previously set mark with ALT-F1
through ALT-F10.  Returning to the position from which you last jumped
is simply accomplished with ALT-ESC.  Obviously, these bindings are not
etched in stone--see my comments at the beginning of the file.

I cleaned up a few annoying things.  On a backward delimiter match
(initiated by ']', ')' or '}'), delimiters within quotes (both single
and double) or in comments are ignored.

Indentation within comments now matches the previous line.  This allows
comments to be placed at columns other than column 0 without having
to fight the auto-indenter.

Other random things have been done.  Look at the comments at the
beginning (after Lagaru's standard c-mode comments), and at the code
itself.

This code is relatively recent and could be slightly buggy.  If you find
any problems or have any suggestions, send me a message.  I have other
things that I plan to do with this code at some point in the ill-defined
future.  Perhaps I will send an updated version.

	John Kubiatowicz
	KUBITRONICS information systems
	kubitron%athena.mit.edu

[CXTND.E can be found in the info-ibmpc .EEL lending library. It along
with all the other .EEL code can be found in the <INFO-IBMPC.EEL> directory
on C.ISI.EDU. This library isn't on the BBS yet. -wab]

------------------------------

From: gaia!zhahai@seismo.CSS.GOV
Date: 26 Mar 87 06:24:18 GMT
Subject: Warning about Mixing EGA and Videodisk Proceedings Editor

Regarding gilles' question about a graphics editor for the EGA: there
are many editors which use the EGA display as one of their options, indeed
almost any commercial paint program (*Paint*) nowadays supports the EGA.
If you want to create a screen and then load it later from a C program
you will have to check with the paint program vendor for technical info
on the image format (on disk), or for utilities/libraries to do this.

I hope that you realize that the IBM EGA, in its new screen resolutions,
is not compatible with normal video (NTSC in the US) frequencies; it gets
its 350 lines of vertical display by increasing the horizontal scan rate
far beyond normal video tolerances.  Thus you will most likely have a great
deal of trouble mixing that output with a normal videodisk (as your note
mentioned your application to be).  Of course, the EGA also has a 640x200
mode that has sweep rates pretty close to standard, close enough for some
equipment to lock (VCR, for example) and with a timebase corrector you could
probably mix it with analog video - you still get the EGA's 16 colors, so
this might be worthwhile.  Of course, the EGA is not interlaced, but some
equipment has no trouble with this.  Finally note that the IBM EGA does not
have a composite (analog) video output like the CGA (the 2 RCA jacks are not
connected - they go to an onboard expansion port only) - so unless your
mixing equipment handles digital RGBI (or RGBrgb) inputs you may need either
an external combining circuit or a clone which does provide composite video.
(Composite video contains the picture and sync signals combined into one
analog signal; same stuff as a VCR/videodisk puts put with RCA jacks usually,
Not the stuff on 9-pin "D" connectors nor the stuff on type "F" "antenna"
jacks).  You may already understand all this, but it is a source of much
confusion for many people.

One other route, which I probably would not recommend but would try if I had
to, would be to use a good monitor and camera to "scan convert" the EGA
higher resolution output to normal video.  Besides noise, fuzziness, and
distortion, this might make it harder to detect the "transparent color"
where analog video should be substituted, depending upon your equipment.
To be clear: point a normal NTSC camera at an EGA compatible monitor.
(NTSC is the video standard used in the US and Japan for analog video).
(Actually, for the color modulation therein, but close enough for here/now).

I think the seminar proceedings you are referring to is "IBM Personal
Computer Seminar Proceedings", Vol 2, number 11, Nov. 84, which covered
the EGA.  Please note that this document is incomplete, not very coherent,
and sometimes incorrect - it is far from a good "how-to" for the EGA; its
principle claim to fame was that it was available to many people before the
real technical reference was so it was the ONLY info for a while; it may still
have some good info mixed in but not all that much.  I don't know where to
get it (somewhere in IBM land...), but perhaps the exact title above will
help.

Zhahai Stewart
{hao | nbires}!gaia!zhahai

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Mar 1987 11:38:56 ULG
From: Andre PIRARD <A-PIRARD%BLIULG12.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Shareware and National Characters

Several programs by private software writers purposefully ignore non U. S.
codes from the keyboard. This makes them useless in other countries where
one of the reasons for IBM PC success is its multilingual design.
May I advise concern about this, in particular to those expecting reward?
Also a useful feature is to keep messages in files, so that they can be
translated.

------------------------------

Date: 26-Mar-1987 1300
From: waters%rainbo.DEC@decwrl.DEC.COM
Subject: VAXmate Technical Reference

	I have had a large number of requests for VAXmate technical
	information, particularly in the area of the Ethernet
	datalink interface.  The "VAXmate Technical Reference Manual"
	(volumes 1 and 2) is currently being printed and will be
	shipping any day now.  The DEC order number is Q6ZCS-GZ.
	I believe this indicates both volumes.  The amount of detail
	in the technical reference is extensive, complete with
	programming examples.  You may be able to get it through
	DECdirect (800) 258-1710, or through a local DEC office.
	I don't know the cost.

	A summary of the table of contents (the latest that I have seen;
	this may be different from the actual):

	VOLUME I
	Chapter 1 VAXmate Workstation Overview
	Chapter 2 VAXmate Microprocessor
	Chapter 3 Interrupt Controllers
	Chapter 4 DMA Controller
	Chapter 5 Real-Time Clock and CMOS RAM
	Chapter 6 Three-Channel Counter and Speaker
	Chapter 7 Video Controller
	Chapter 8 Keyboard-Interface Controller and Keyboard
	Chapter 9 Serial Communications
	Chapter 10 Mouse Information
	Chapter 11 Diskette Drive Controller
	Chapter 12 Hard Disk Drive Controller
	Chapter 13 Network Hardware Interface

	VOLUME II
	Chapter 14 System Startup
	Chapter 15 ROM BIOS
	Chapter 16 Programming the VAXmate Under MS-DOS
	Chapter 17 MS-Windows on the VAXmate
	Chapter 18 VAXmate Network Software
		   (includes how to interface to Datalink, etc.)

				Lester Waters
				Digital Equipment Corporation
				Personal Computing Systems Group
				"All of the usual disclaimers apply"

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 87 11:53:49 PST
From: rmr@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Robert Rother)
Subject: NETBIOS Information Wanted

Does anyone know where I can get information on NETBIOS, in particular the
programming interface.

Thanks,
Robert Rother
rmr@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu

[Try the Options and Adapters manual published by IBM. Every site should have
a subscription to this important publication. There is also an IBM Technical
Seminar proceeding. I suspect additional information is available when
purchasing a token net adapter for the PC. Also the mailing list:
<pc-token-ring@ucla-ccn.arpa> is probably a better source of information.
-wab]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 27 Mar 87 01:16:41-PST
From: Jean-Pierre Dumas <DUMAS@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: MicroEmacs Sources Needed

I am used to MicroEmacs v30 on my home ST, to deal with the office PC
(really an Olivetti M24, alias AT&T 6300), I would like to have the same
but: I am missing the tty sources for PCs.
Can anybody provide me with information where to get them missing source
files, or send them to me ?
I can use MSC 4.0 to compile the beast.
I need sources because I hacked up a lot the original v30, with a lot
more feature, most notably to support international character set and
startup file.

Thanks in advance.
Jean-Pierre H. Dumas (dumas@sumex-aim.stanford.edu)

------------------------------

Date:     Fri,  27 Mar 87 12:48:29 +0200
From:     <JOHN%TAUNOS.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
To:       INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU
Subject:  ansi.sys

I wrote a letter some time ago asking if anybody had any information about
the limitations of key redefinition when using ANSI.SYS as I am still at a
loss I would very much appreciate help on the subject.

                    Thanks in advance
                           Jonathan
                           <JOHN@TAUNOS>

P.S. Some time ago somebody asked a question about Hebrew for the IBM PC
     I like most people in Israel work in Hebrew as well as in English
     IBM has a Hebrew National language diskette with special routines
     for reversing print direction and so on. The characters I'm afraid
     are defined in ROM. As at the time I didn't have my own code I didn't
     get round to answering I will be pleased to forward any other information
     I can to whoever it was that asked.
                                    Jonathan

[Perhaps the reason you got no response is because ANSI.SYS doesn't have
anything to do with keyboard redefinition. Also note again that NANSI.CAT
in the info-ibmpc library contains complete sources for an extended ANSI.SYS.
You can modify it to do anything you would like. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: 27 Mar 87 12:37:00 EST
From: <zn0chapman@nardacva>
Subject: IBM Token Ring Novell Netware Async Server Problem
To: "pc-token-ring" <pc-token-ring@ucla-ccn.arpa>

     A question for the folks who use Novell Advanced Netware (and the
IBM Token Ring):

     An add-on product that Novell sells is the Asynchronous
Communications Server (ACS).  The package consists of the ACS
software, a multiport card (4 serial ports/card), ASCOM IV (async comm
software), and ATERM (remote dial-in software).  The advertised
product allows network dial-in and dial-out.  A dedicated PC is used
as the async server and becomes a "traffic cop".  The remote dial-in
requires the ACS (as in the dial-out), but also a dedicated PC on the
LAN side for program execution; at home you receive screen output and
send keyboard input.

     I've been able to get ACS to work for dial-out to remote async
hosts and in a direct connect to our EMail host (VAX).  Everything is
fine with that (at least).

     The problem?  The remote dial-in feature.  I've tried a number of
different configurations and I cannot finish a session without the
session hanging up.  I can exit the dial-in program "gracefully", but
the PC doing program execution on the LAN side is locked up.

     When I connect to the LAN; I appear to be a full functioning
member (although screen updates are at 1200 or 2400 bps).  Sometimes,
a simple DIR will lock the connection up.  Some other time, Wordstar
might lock me up or dBASE or a Novell MENU or....  The condition
CANNOT be duplicated.

     I have tried:

          a.  Different modems.

          b.  Different ACS servers.

          c.  Different remote execution hosts (IBM PC-AT, Zenith Z-
              248).

          d.  Different dial-in systems.

          e.  Different ports on the multi-port card.

          f.  1200 and 2400 bps operation.

     I have also:

          a.  At a suggestion from Novell, isolated the three ACS-
host-dialin systems from a potential EGA problem (supposedly there is
a potential timeout problem with systems and the EGA).  All systems
had either IBM Monochrome or CGA.  Still no luck.

          b.  Re-'gen'ed ANET3 using the fixed ANET3.OBJ file for the
token ring (to take care of timeouts in large token rings).  Still
hangs.

     During my testing, traffic has been mixed (weekday afternoons
(busy) and Saturday mornings from home (no network traffic)).

     When the session "hangs", the execution host on the LAN side has
(usually) one more line of data than the remote PC (e.g. a line was
not sent).

     Does ANYONE know anything about this?  Our Novell reps have not
been much help.  Is there ANYTHING I have NOT tried?

     Thanks!

     David Chapman
     NARDAC Norfolk
     zn0chapman @ nardacva
     804-444-1190
     AV 564-1190

------------------------------

Date:  Fri, 27 Mar 87 13:18 EST
From:  Hess@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Bug in MS-DOS Floppy Handling

To Gordon L.  et. al.  on this list:

Does anybody know how MS-Word gets around the following MS-DOS bug?  (I
encountered it with FinalWord II; you can do the same in Epsilon and
MS-Windows Write, but somehow MS-Word avoids it!)

 1) Write protect a floppy.
 2) Open an existing file off it.
 3) Save the file back.  Get an error: protected.
 4) Remove the disk, and unprotect it, and re-insert it.
 5) Exit the program.  DOS will write to the disk!
 6) Run CHKDSK on the floppy.  Clusters from your existing
    file will be considered lost.

In other words, in a C program:  A:  is write protected, ands has a file
on it, e.g.  A:FOO.
          fd=creat("A:FOO");
 will *not* return a file descriptor, but instead will return an error
message.  But when you exit the program, it looks like MS-DOS is still
attempting to close that (bad) FCB, because it writes to disk.  What
happens when you run CHKDSK is that you get a zero length file, as if
the create really happened, and all the clusters left in the file are on
a lost chain.

But if you create a file that *didn't* originally exist on the
write-protected disk, you'll get the same error code, but the disk won't
be written when you exit the program.

(1) Why does this happen?

(2) Can it be changed for future MS-DOS versions?

(3) How does MS-Word get around this problem?

                    Thanks,
                    Brian

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 87 11:31:01 SET
From: Alun Saunders <ESC1319%DDAESA10.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: How does DOS Manage its Buffers

    Can anybody out there give me an authoritative  answer on how
DOS uses the disk buffers as defined in the CONFIG.SYS file ?

    I wrote a small test program that wrote a  file consisting of
'N'  512  byte blocks (the size of a 'buffer' I think ?) and then
repeatedly read  the file  from  beginning to end.  I had assumed
that when the value  of 'N'  was less than the number  of buffers
allocated, that subsequent reads to the file would happen with no
disk accesses  since all the necessary disk  blocks  would  be in
memory, i.e no flashing light on the drive. I was wrong ! In fact,
the  only  time  this prophecy came  true was when the  file only
consisted of one block !  I had 40 buffers allocated at this time
which I would have thought would be plenty.

    My  little  test program was  written in Turbo,  and used the
BlockRead and BlockWrite procedures. I traced these calls through
and verified  that  they  were  indeed  using DOS  calls  and not
sneaking into the BIOS. For information, the tests were performed
on a vanilla XT with a 10MB disk, running PC-DOS 3.1.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 87 15:34:54 CST
From: moore@ncsc.ARPA (Moore)
Subject: ARC needed for Unix

I use PKARC on my PC and would like to have a version I can run under
Unix. Does anyone know where I can get a copy of ARC that will run under
Unix?

					   Jim Moore
					   Moore@NCSC.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Thu 19 Mar 87 09:49:37-PST
From: Thomas F. Mandel <MANDEL@SRI-KL.ARPA>
Subject: Framework II Screen Driver for WY700

Does anyone out there have -- or know the location of -- a screen
driver for Framework II for the high resolution Wyse 700 screen?

--Tom Mandel	mandel@sri-kl.arpa (after 1Apr87, mandel@kl.sri.com)
		mandel@well.UUCP

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 87 11:10:41 pst
From: Kenzi Karasaki <kenzi@lbl-ux8>
Subject: Expert System Shells

I need comments on the shells by TI: Personal Consultant (Easy & Plus)
        Are they suitable for a classification problem?
        Can they call external routines to process the data they work on?
        What drawbacks were encountered in real life applications?

        Thank you for the help.

	Daniel

ps.  if you know of any software which compares favorably with these,
     I'd like to know.

------------------------------

Date: 20 Mar 87 23:56 PST
From: William Daul / McDonnell-Douglas / APD-ASD  <WBD.MDC@OFFICE-1.ARPA>
Subject: Mailing Label Programs Wanted

Could someone point me in the direction of any freeware that might be mailing
label/IBM-PC-XT oriented?

Thanks,  --Bi//

------------------------------

From: mit-amt!castillo@mit-amt.media.mit.edu (Brian C. Anderson)
Subject: Russian Word Processor Wanted
Date: 21 Mar 87 19:53:16 GMT

I would like to know if anyone out there has heard of a word processor
for the PC that supports the Russian character set.  I am trying to
put together a cheap PC system for a friend visiting from the USSR.
The system will probably be a clone-PC, monochrome monitor, 256K, 1
serial, 1 parallel, 1 floppy and a printer (probably dot-matrix).  The
printer will have to support Russian or allow down-loadable
character sets.  Has anyone seen something like this?  Any suggestions
would be greatly appreciated.  As this is a very esoteric query please
reply to me directly, I'll summarize and post later.

					Thanks,

					Brian Anderson

E-mail: castillo@media-lab.media.mit.edu
USnail: 483 Beacon St #52
        Boston, Ma. 02115

[Get a Macintosh! This from the editor of info-ibmpc. If you insist on a PC
clone there have been discussions of this in past issues. See V5 #20 -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 22 Mar 87 14:38:28 +0200
From: Oved Ben-Aroya <oved%TECHUNIX.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Making Rainbow100 Compatible

Is there a way to make the Rainbow 100 compatible to IBM PC (by adding or
changing cards or a black box? )?

Please reply by mail to:

CCSMDAN@TECHNION.BITNET

------------------------------

Subject: MS-DOS Goes to Cleveland
Date: Mon, 23 Mar 87 08:15:25 EST
From: jfjr@mitre-bedford.ARPA

 Here is a problem that I have had no luck with and would
appreciate any advice as soon as possible.

 I am running a spanking new PC/AT 8 mHz, MS-DOS 3.21. I have
installed a QUA-TECH data acquisition board.

 My program to drive this board is  written in Microsoft C
for the user interface etc. and assembler (Microsoft) for the
interrupt handling. It is compiled and linked with the small
memory model. The assembler code uses the standard INT 21
calls to get vectors for IRQ3 and IRQ4 and to replace them with
my own (I have experimented with other IRQ's but it doesn't help).

Now, when I run tests with my own interrupt vectors in place, but
when no such interrupts are even produced MS-DOS goes to Cleveland.
It won't even respond to control-alt-delete.  If I change string
literals in the C part of the source, even in places that have
NOTHING to do with the interrupts, even in spots of the code that are
executed before I borrow the interrupts or after I return them then
the program works.  The program will also work if I shorten the PATH.
When the program works it works fine, I can even give it interrupts
and it catches them, logs them etc. but if I go in and modify the
prompts (I use printf and fprintf) in random regions of the source
then the program stops working and it "dissapears" in places which
seem unrelated (just before exiting, just after introducing itself).
I have sometimes got it to go into a loop where MS-DOS has trouble
reading the COM port ( the program asks a couple of questions) and
gives me "Abort,retry or ignore", it somehow can't read any response
from the keyboard and I must reboot. If this happens it can be
reached with a control-alt-delete.

What is going on here?? Why??? How do I stop/fix it??

                                   HELLLPPPPPP!!!!!...

                                   Jerry Freedman,Jr
                                   jfjr@mitre-bedford.ARPA

[Sounds like something is crossing a memory segment boundary. What model
C are you using. Does your .MAP file show anything large enough to fill
a segment. Just a guess??? -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 23 Mar 87 10:01:07 est
From: Gilles Bloch <bloch-gilles@YALE.ARPA>
Subject: Digitized Voice

    I am looking for a card which records and playback voice,
but whose sampling rate is variable and can be set
higher than those I found in Info_ibmpc. I'd like to be able
to have a 15KHz sampling rate.

    Does anyone knows of any such card ?

[Lloyd Rice of Computalker Associates and the UCLA Phonetics Lab recommends
the Adaptive Digital Systems Board for the PC. It has a variable sample rate
up to 80KHz. Lloyd also suggests the Frequency Devices 901F variable filter
for a Nyquist filter. ADS is in Irvine California and Frequency Devices is in
Haverhill Mass. You might be able to contact Lloyd for software that runs
with these boards as well as TMS320 software. Computalker Associates is
in Santa Monica (213)393-7781 -wab]

------------------------------

Date:  Monday, 23 March 1987 12:23pm
To:  INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU
From:  GDAA500@UTA3081.CC.UTEXAS.EDU (OGS.YANCEY)
Subject: 327x Emulators

Can anyone suggest any 327X emulators for IBM PC's or Compatibles?
I am particularly interested in programs that will work with
the ITI 3270 boards.  Please send replies directly to
OGS.YANCEY@UTA3081.BITNET.  If someone knows of programs as
Freeware or in public domain, all the better.

------------------------------

Date: 23 Mar 86 11:15 EST
From: C0144%CSUOHIO.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Everex HD/FD Controller Query

   I'm pulling my hair out over this one...

   We've received an Everex EV-390 Controller card that holds both floppy and
hard drives. The hard drive portion is working fine. On the floppy side,
however, I can't get it to recognize the A> drive by anything other than a
continuously lit LED on the drive. We are trying to use only 1 floppy on the
system (not 2 as covered by the documentation).

   Does anyone out there know anything about these beasts?

   From the North Coast      Dave Chatfield, Dept. of Computer Services
   _____   of America...._-! Cleveland State University
  !     --___       ___--  !
  !          ------(*)     ! BITNET: C0144@CSUOHIO
  !          Cleveland     ! ARPA: C0144%CSUOHIO.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
  !                        ! USENET: davec!ncoast
  !       O  H  I  O      !  BBS: Assistant Sysop, PC-OHIO 216-381-3320

------------------------------

Date: 23 Mar 1987 16:25-EST
Sender: DOWENS@G.BBN.COM
Subject: Secured PC Query
From:    David Owens  <dowens@bbng.arpa>

Advice or information sought from anyone who owns or operates a
PC capable of processing classified data.  I need to set up a
system and know that it probably entails a removable hard disk
and perhaps a special printer.  Who sells this stuff at a
reasonable price and what else do I need in terms of specialized
PC equipment.

Thanks in advance,

Dave <dowens@bbng.arpa>

[IBM Sells Tempest PCs but not at a "reasonable price" -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 24 Mar 87 10:14:14 SET
From: Alun Saunders <ESC1319%DDAESA10.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: Formula to Relate Number of Wait States Memory and Processor Speed

Does anybody know of a magic formula by which one can easily determine
what speed RAM chips one needs for a particular processor (i.e. 8088,
8086, 80286), clock speed, and wait-state combination. I ask this because
I have recently purchased an AT-clone which runs at 10MHz, and seems to
run with 150ns RAMS and 1 wait-state. What speed chips do I need if I want
to run with 0 wait-states ? One source says I need 70ns RAMS, which seems
a bit OTT to me !

Alun Saunders

------------------------------

From: <evwong@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: DOS 3.2 on Compatibles
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 87 12:48:17 EST

Hello all.  This question may have come up and have been answered before but
I am new to Info-IBMPC so I'll ask it anyway and you can either refer me to
an old volume or answer it.

My problem is as such:  I am using an old Columbia PC-compatible and want
to upgrade to DOS 3.x mainly to use (E)EMS and smaller HD cluster size.
I have heard that PC-DOS 3.2 does NOT work on many compatibles and I was just
wondering if MS-DOS 3.2 had the same problem.  I would assume not, but heck,
you never know.

Thanks muchly (in advance)!

eric

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 25 Mar 87 10:22:40 PST
From: jperry@sri-unix.ARPA (John Perry)
Subject: Speller Dictionaries

     Does anyone out there know of any Spelling Checker product with a
non-trivial sized dictionary i.e. 10000 words instead of 1000.  If so,
what is its name, how much does it cost, and where can it be purchased?
Thanks to anyone who can answer this query?

                                             John Perry

------------------------------

Date: 25 Mar 87  7:05 -0800
From: Jamie Wyatt <buwyatt%brock.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Creating a New DOS Shell

        I am working on a program in MicroSoft C v4.0 and I am trying
to spawn to command.com to allow a user perform DOS commands (2.10).
The problem is that the environment is filled with garbage and returns
with environment full error if I try to alter paths etc. Here is a
sample of what I am trying.

        spawnle (P_WAIT, "command.com", "command", NULL, environ);

        I have found that if you add the path of command.com before the
NULL the environment is clean but all previous paths are lost and I would
like to retain them.

        Any suggestions or reference books?

Thanks
Jamie

BUWYATT@Brock.ean

------------------------------

Date: 26 Mar 87 13:28:22 GMT
From: "stefan vogel" <K524911%CZHRZU1A.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
To:   INFO-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU
Subject: Cross assembler for 6502

Does anyone know about a Cross assembler for a 6502 running on a PC? We are
planning to do a course in digital electronics and microprocessors and want
to assemble programs for a 6502 on an AT&T 6300.
                                        Thanks
                                        Stefan Vogel
                                        Inst. for Theor. Physics
                                        University of Zuerich
                                        CH-8001 Zuerich
                                        Switzerland
                                        K524911 at CZHRZU1A.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 26 Mar 87 09:12:15 est
From: sr16#@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth Benjamin Rothenberg)
Subject: VMS/Vax as Mac PC file server
Cc: sr16#@andrew.cmu.edu (Seth Benjamin Rothenberg)

Has anyone used Vaxen as file servers for Macs and PC's together?

I have been asked to find out all the options available (or soon-to-be) for
using VMS Vaxen as file servers for IBM-PC's and Macintosh's.  The
network would have several clusters of Macs and PCs, each with a uVax.
The uVaxen would be in different buildings, linked to each other and
to a Vax mainframe with an Ethernet (probably DecNet).  If anyone
has hooked such a system up, I'd appreciate if you could let me know.
Thanks in advance.

Seth Rothenberg
sr16@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date:     THU, 26 MAR 87 16:13:11 BST
From: PETER%UK.AC.SALFORD.SYSC@ac.uk
Subject: Slowing Autorepeat on Keyboard

Dear IBM Gurus,

Does anyone have any idea how to slow down or stop the auto
repeat on an IBM keyboard from masm. Ideally I would like to be able
to lock the keyboard and stop the keyboard buffer being filled
at will. If anyone has any ideas I would be obliged if they could
send me a copy of their reply direct, as well as sending it to
info-ibm-pc. In the hope that someone may be able to help,

Regards

Peter Atkins, Computer Centre, University of Salford, England

PETER%SYSC.SALFORD.AC.UK @ CS.UCL.AC.UK

------------------------------

Date: Thu 26 Mar 87 18:07:01-PST
From: QUILES@USC-ECLB.ARPA
Subject: dDBASE III Frequency Analysis Wanted

I wonder if I can get some help on a dBASE III problem.  The
problem is this.  I need to fine a way to do some frequency
analysis with data in dBASE III.  If your familiar with SAS what
I need is something like a PROC FREQ.  I'm really looking for a
program already written to do this for me in dBASE III.  If I'm
unable to find such a program, then I'll have no other choice but
to send the data to Mini-Tab or PC-SAS.  Can anyone help with the
whereabouts of such a program.

Ruben Quiles

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 26 Mar 1987 17:52 PST
From:     JAJZ801%CALSTATE.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject:  Microport Unix vs. Xenix

  I'm preparing to embark on Unix for my 286 machine and am
somewhat confused by the variety of implementations. Can
somebody familiar with Xenix and the Microport System V/AT
compare the merits of one choice over the other (or any other
flavors of PC-based Unix. I'm also confused by the seemingly
large numbers of Xenix implementations: I thought it was a Microsoft
product.

   Jeff Sicherman
   JAJZ801@CALSTATE.BITNET

------------------------------
Subject: Graphics Software Request
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 87 18:13:03 EST
From: 20s1-s4@braggvax.arpa

     The 20th Engineer Brigade is looking for two types of Graphics
software; a business-oriented package to generate high-quality visual
aids for our Command briefings, and a Computer Aided Design &
Drafting package.  Due to high personnel turnover, we would be most
interested in those packages that have a tutorial.
     We are currently operating WANG PCs/APCs, and some IBM clones (Zenith).
Available RAM is from 640K to 1.1 M; minimum Winchester capacity is 10 M.

                                  Thanks in advance,

                                   Dave Wegener
                                   Brigade Automation Management Officer
                                   & All-around Nice Guy

           "Sure I'm qualified-- I had FORTRAN back in '78 !!"

------------------------------

Date: Thu 19 Mar 87 19:32:29-CST
From: Michael Sheridan <SHERIDAN@STL-HOST1.ARPA>
Subject: Integration of PC and VAX

I am in the process of evaluating hardware/software that will enable PC
users to "painlessly" share files that will be located on drives attached to
a DEC VAX.  Does anyone out there have any experience with any of the
following:

   1. XYPLEX'S PC XPANDER
   2. DEC'S DECNET DOS
   3. DATABILITY SOFTWARE'S RAF (REMOTE ACCESS FACILITY)

All replies will be appreciated, and if there is sufficient interest, I'll
post a summary.

Thanks in advance,

Michael Sheridan           Sheridan@STL-HOST1.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 19 Mar 87 21:53:53 est
From: Mike Ciaraldi  <ciaraldi@rochester.arpa>
Subject: Want to Kill Keyboard Repeat

I am looking for a (preferably free) program that will let me turn
off automatic keyboard repeat on a standard IBM PC, or at least slow it
down enough that you would have several seconds to take your
fingers off the key.
I tried KBFIX22, which is supposed to let you set both the
delay before starting repeat, and the repeat rate, but these
can only be increased to a period that is still less than a second.
Five seconds or more is more what I am looking for,
if not infinity.  Thanks.

Date: 20 Mar 1987 08:39-CST
Subject: Computer Products United Micros
From: SAC.55SRW-LGS@E.ISI.EDU

        I'd like to hear from anyone who has a PC from Computer
Products United of Pasadena, California.  I've seen their ads in
PC magazine.  Two friends have bought from this company.  In both
cases, they had to return the motherboard for overheating
problems.  One guy got a replacement (new or repaired, I'm not
sure)> The other guy just sent his in.  The guy who got his back
has been using it for a month, now, no more problems.

        Reply to SAC.55SRW-LGS@E.ISI.EDU

Thanx in advance,

Frank Starr

------------------------------

From: Jeff%acorn@oak.lcs.mit.edu
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 1987 11:29 edt
Subject: Postscript Filters

I'm looking for a filter that will accept straight text input and
output Postscript-embedded text for printing on Postscript
printers. It would be nice if it could accept ^L's and such, even
nicer if it had command line options for page length and width
and would rotate (landscape) text.

Preferably PD, preferably source in most any language.

-jeff

Jeff Collier		jeff%acorn@oak.lcs.mit.edu
Gold Hill Computers	617.492.2071
163 Harvard St
Cambridge, MA 02139

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 20 Mar 87 15:05 EDT
From:     <MGRANOFF%CLARKU.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Finding Current Application Name

I am designing a memory resident application under DOS 2.11 on an AT&T 6300.
The application will be for use with another commercial product, but will
only be of use if the commercial application is running (i.e. my memory
resident application will be of no use at the DOS prompt).

What I would like to be able to do is determine if a program is running or
if the user it sitting at the DOS prompt.

If *that* is possible, then is it possible to determine the NAME of the
application that is running?

I will be writing my application in Turbo Pascal v3.01.  Any help on this
will be appreciated; any code, etc. would be better in Turbo Pascal, but
I think I can probably hack (I hate that expression...) anything...

Thanks in advance.

Mark H. Granoff
MGRANOFF@CLARKU.BITNET

[The file INDOS.TXT has a discussion of some of the issues involved in such
a memory resident program. I am not aware that the name of the application
is available anywhere. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 20 Mar 87 11:41:01 PST
From: iwamoto@cod.nosc.mil (Harvey A. Iwamoto)
Subject: FileCard 20 on AT

Has anyone been able to get the Exzel-Dysan Filecard 20 working with the
IBM PC AT as a second drive?  I have been in contact with Exzel and what
they mean as 'AT compatible' is that the Filecard is installed as the C
drive and the only hard drive on an AT.  Who would order an AT without a
hard drive?
Thanks for any hints or pointers.
Harvey Iwamoto

[Sounds strange to me as well. The AT comes with a hard disk controller.
Does the Filecard add a second controller or work off the AT controller? -wab]

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------