[mod.computers.ibm-pc] Info-IBMPC Digest V6 #26

Info-IBMPC@C.ISI.EDU.UUCP (04/11/87)

Info-IBMPC Digest       Friday, 10 April 1987      Volume 6 : Issue 26

This Week's Editor: Billy Brackenridge

Today's Topics:
     Adaptec ACB-2070A rll Controller Will not work with IBM BIOS
			   EGA Shift-PrtSc
       The PiCnix Utilities are now available on SIMTEL20.ARPA!
       Availability of Z80MU and TDEBUG (Referred to as TDBUG)
		       Networked PCs at School
		     ZStem Comm Software on Z-248
		  TDEBUG Turbo Source Code Debugger
		     Automatic Program Generators
			     LEX and YACC
		     New Products from Tektronix
			 Z80mu Z-80 Emulator
	       Patch MASM 4.0 to Write Errors to Stdout
		       POLYCOPY Disk Duplicator
			  9 Track Tape Drive
		       QUBECALC V2 ON SIMTEL-20
		     Echo off Default in DOS 3.3
		   ChiWriter Russian Word Processor
Today's Queries:
		       Medical Diagnosis Query
		Authoring Programs and VCR Interfacing
	   Attempting to use /E vdisk on a Sperry XT Clone
			    MIDI SOFTWARE
			    3279  Emulator
		Lattice C Source Level Debugger Wanted
		      AT and XT Keyboard Timings
		     Wanted LOGO to work with EGA
			Query about 8087-80287
		       IBMPC MACINTOSH Question
	   Is there a PC Laptop with an Ethernet Connection
	    Is there a laptop with an Ethernet connection
		 Description of IBM DCA & DIA Formats
		   Windows and Missing .SYS Driver

      INFO-IBMPC BBS Phone Numbers: (213)827-2635 (213)827-2515

Date: 8  Apr 87  8:22 -0800
From: "Ya`akov N. Miles" <bd%dac.triumf.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Adaptec ACB-2070A rll Controller Will not work with IBM BIOS

It appears that Adaptec has sabotaged their ACB-2070A rll controller
for the IBM-XT such that it will not work on the AT unless you use a
non-IBM bios.  I can only speculate on the reason for this (maybe to
force you to purchase their more expensive AT controller...), but the
fix is to use PHOENIX eproms, or to buy your RLL controller from a
second source (such as OMTI), which does not play these childish tricks

ps:  Why won't ARPA-net spell my name correctly?  It is Ya'akov, and
     not Ya?akov...

------------------------------

Date:  Wed, 8 Apr 87 23:06 EDT
From:  Hess@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: EGA Shift-PrtSc

If someone near you has a Microsoft mouse, you might try the FRIEZE.COM
program that comes with it.  It's kind of kludgy, but it works.  If
they're using that software on their machine, I suggest you not rip off
the manufacturer, but instead purchase a copy of PC Paintbrush (which
isn't so great either), which comes with this program.  Alas, I'm using
mine because I haven't found any better paint program for the PC yet,
else I'd just give it to you.

Has anybody contributed something to the Info-IBMPC library like the
SCRNDUMP.BAS for the Hercules, only for the EGA?

Related:  PC Paint programs

Has anybody used several and have an informed opinion of what to get?

Brian

------------------------------

Date:     Wed, 8 Apr 87 10:12 EDT
From:     Peter Heitman <HEITMAN%cs.umass.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject:  The PiCnix Utilities are now available on SIMTEL20.ARPA!

The PiCnix Utilities are now available on SIMTEL20.ARPA!

The PiCnix Utilities are a collection of 28 programs that emulate UN*X
commands on personal computers running DOS 2.1 or above.  Not only do
these utilities implement each of the options provided by the UN*X command,
but they also completely support the UN*X style of argument processing
and expansion.  For example, the following two commands work just as they
would under UN*X:

    ls $SOURCES/*/*.[ch]

	set pwd = `pwd`

The PiCnix Utilities include the following:

   cat cd chlabel chmod cp cpdir date diff df du echo fgrep grep ls more
   mv mvdir pwd rm set show strings switchar time tee touch unset wc

You will need to get the following two files from the simtel20 archives:

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.SYSTEM-UTIL>
PICNIXF1.ARC			BINARY	181504  2A84H
PICNIXF2.ARC			BINARY	126336  4E3AH

The author requests a $15 registration fee.

Peter Heitman
heitman@umass-cs.csnet

------------------------------

From: Hans A. ]lien <hans@OSLO-VAX.ARPA>
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 87 13:16:08 +0200
Subject: Availability of Z80MU and TDEBUG (Referred to as TDBUG)

This is in response to two messages of the latest digest (V6#25):
A newer version of Z80MU can be found on SIMTEL20 AS:
PD:<MSDOS.EMULATORS>Z80MU310.ARC.1 165376(8) 10-Nov-86

The TurboPascal debugger is called TDEBUG and is also available from SIMTEL20:
PD:<MSDOS.TURBO-PASCAL>TDEBUG.ARC.1 41088(8)  4-Apr-86
(I have used TDEBUG myself and it works fine.)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 87 07:34:56 CST
From: mlw@ncsc.ARPA (Williams)
Subject: Networked PCs at School

The local community college has a network with a lab containing about 15
PCs and several other machines scattered around campus.  The standard
workstation is a 2-drive PC.  I don't know what the server is.  The lab
has 1 HP LaserJet printer.  The thing uses 3-COM software and is eventually
supposed to link dissimilar computers.  Right now, the net provides file
service and print service.  However, it's relatively miserable to do any
serious work on.  But do students do serious work?

Seriously, the net provides a diskless dDOS boot and a menu for applications.
A typical sequence involves booting, logging on to the network, selecting
"word processing" application area, selecting Volkswriter for editing,
entering a source file (Pascal & FORTRAN classes), leaving the editor,
selecting the "programming languages" application area, selecting compile or
load-&-go, waiting for the compile, sending error messages to the printer,
returning to the main menu, and starting all over.  There is a lot of linking
and unlinking done by the software and it is time-consuming.  Printed items
typically take 30 seconds to a minute or two to start printing, even when
there appears to be no other net competition (the LAN is standard Ethernet,
I think).  (The "linking," above, is logging into and out of different file
service areas, not object module linking.)  I don't know if BASIC is taught
on the networked systems.

The concept of the net is fine.  It's also an obvious improvement over
previous facilities, which included !keypunching and batch runs!, time-
sharing on a machine used for CADD (an HP-1000...worked great until the
drafting class started up...they had overriding priority and FORTRAN
compiles would almost vanish from the face of the earth), and individual
PCs.  The latter didn't work because the school didn't have adequate
software licenses or resources to provide anything but BASIC instruction.

You can get more information from the head of the Business Division --

Dick Stewart
Business Division
Gulf Coast Community College
West Highway 98
Panama City, FL  32405
(904)769-1551

FYI, the local Florida State University campus has a computer lab that's
newer than GCCC's installation.  They opted for a continuously-monitored
lab with stand-alone PCs and software that's issued to the student when
(s)he enters the lab and that must be returned before they leave.  There
are strict policies against software copying, but I don't know how effectively
they can be/are being enforced (not to imply any negligence on FSU's part -
I just don't know if even a knowledgeable monitor can spot and prevent
illegal duplicating when students must use their own disks to store their
programs in progress...maybe scratch disks should be provided, too, so
no media enter or leave the lab).  The performance is, of course, like a
regular PC, which is undoubtedly better than the net version.  I have no
idea how the total cost of each approach compares.  These two institutions,
both of which are relatively small in comparison to major universities
(the FSU PC campus is brand new and mostly adults taking night classes so
far), would probably provide an excellent opportunity for a price/performance
analysis (or is that cost benefit).  If anyone wants one, I know this great
little company...

Just kidding.  Don't want to get accused of being a Florida swamp seller.

Mark L. Williams
(mlw@ncsc.arpa)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 87 08:59:34 AST
From: ernst@afit-ab.arpa (Thomas J. Ernst)
Subject: ZStem Comm Software on Z-248

I am using ZStem communication software on a Zenith Z-248 system to talk
to a UNIX system as a VT100 terminal.  ZStem supports the VT100 mode, but I
can't find a way to make the backspace key perform a "destructive" back-
space (i.e. erase the previous character).  I understand how to redefine
keys in general using ZStem, but the backspace key has resisted my attempts.
As a work around, I use ctrl-h, but the backspace key would be so much more
natural.  Has anyone solved this problem for ZStem?  Please respond directly
if you have a solution (ernst@afit-ab).

			     Tom Ernst
			     Air Force Institute of Technology

------------------------------

Date: 9 Apr 87 11:30:00 EDT
From: "V703::S_DANIELS" <s_daniels%v703.decnet@nusc>
Subject: TDEBUG Turbo Source Code Debugger

TDEBUG.ARC is available on our CLub Bulletin Board: SE CT IBM PC USER'S
GROUP RBBS. (203) 886-5265. 300/1200/2400 baud, 24 hrs, 7 days. No fees.
Log on and get registered. Start down loading right away.

EVALUATION: TDEBUG is ***fabulous***. I have ordered the commercial
version TDEBUG PLUS for $60 from Turbo Power Software (Kim Kokkonen,
owner, is and active participant on the Borland SIG on Compurserver).
The PD version has limitations: max 20 INClude files, max 32K for
INClude file size, max 250 local symbol blocks, max 4000 statements.
I hope their commercial version improves.

I am using it on a 6000+ line HALO/TURBO graphics database program,
and it has proved indispensable! It does eat up disk space. It
creates a disk file for LOCAL SYMBOLS for my program 3MB (3
MEGA-BYTES!) long. This is only a temp, as it gets deleted after you
quit TD. If program crashes to DOS, you may get file allocation
errors, but you can fix with CHKDKS/F.  ALL IN ALL- MY FAVORITE TP
UTILITY.

Turbo Power Software
478 W. Hamilton Avenue, Suite 196
Campbell, CA 95008.
Turbo Power SW: (408)378-3672. Tell Kim I sent you.
SCOTT

[Chris Handley <CHANDLEY%UTORONTO.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu> also sent in this
information. -wab]

------------------------------

Date: 9 Apr 87 11:24:00 EDT
From: "V703::S_DANIELS" <s_daniels%v703.decnet@nusc>
Subject: Automatic Program Generators

TO Robertp Bernal (Spain), re your request for AUTOMATIC PROGRAM
GENERATORS for mS/PCDOS.  I have been using a program called SYSTEM
BUILDER, with its companion REPORT BUILDER to design file management
programs. The system generates Turbo Pascal source code, which you
then compile into an executable.  Includes a MENU generator, which
looks like it could be used as a stand alone, with a little work.
Basically, you paint a data input form or screen, indicate your field
names, types and default values, plus range check information, and it
generates a Turbo program for you. Quite extensive - includes a
file-rebuilder to rebuild the indexes if program crashes. Comes with
a heavy manual.  The vendor is ROYAL AMERICAN TECHNOLOGIES. They
advertise in PC MAG & BYTE.  Price is $99 for System Builder; $75 for
Report Builder. You really need to get both. I can't find the address
offhand. They are in GA somewhere, and have a toll free ##.
DISCLAIMERS: *** usual stuff ***
Need m ore info,evaluation? let me know.

SCOTT

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 09 Apr 87 13:54:36 EDT
From:         "James H. Coombs" <JAZBO%BROWNVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      LEX and YACC

Some time ago, I attempted to upload source for a LEX and sent it to
Info-IBMPC.  Unfortunately, there are some problems with this source,
which has also made it's way to SIMTEL-20.  It took a lot of time to
prepare the upload, and I believe that it took the Info-IBMPC people
quite a bit of time to install in the library.  I had planned to upload
the YACCs as well, but things did not work out that well with LEX.

Since then, I have tried to send the original ARC files over the network,
but communicating with some machines has not been easy.

So, there's the problem.  I can't fix it because I am not using any of
these programs and have other responsibilities (teaching, books underway,
etc.). These responsibilities are considerably complicated by the fact
that I am a postdoc in English and am also developing software.  I just
don't have the time to sort through the problems that people have run
into.

The best solution?  Kill the LEX that I uploaded.  Someone who is using
the program upload a good copy.  I got the source from the IEEE bulletin
board in Rhode Island---(401) 849-0529.  Austin Code Works also
advertises LEX and YACC regularly in PC Mag or PC Tech.

In the future, I will have to ignore requests for information on this
code and for distribution.  I apologize for any inconvenience that this
may have caused.  I hope that someone will pick up the slack.  --Jim

------------------------------

Date: 9 April 87 13:19-PDT
From: KLASSEN%UVVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: New Products from Tektronix

Tektronix enters the high-end of the Tektronix-emulation game!

1. EGA-compatible co-processor board, built around TI's TMS 34010
   GSP (Graphics Systems Processor) chip.  Features Tek graphics mode,
   EGA & CGA emulation, 640 by 480 resolution.
2. Multiple Line Rate Color Graphics Monitor, 640 by 480, 13-in.,
   256 colors from 16M color palette.
3. PLOT 10 PC-05 terminal emulation software, licensed from Grafpoint, Inc.
   Emulates 4105 terminal.
4. PLOT 10 PC-07 terminal emulation software, licensed from Grafpoint, Inc.
   Emulates 4107 terminal.

This info. came from "S. Klein Newsletter on Computer Graphics", Vol. 9, #6/7.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 9 Apr 87 17:17:42 EDT
From: Edward_Vielmetti@um.cc.umich.edu
Subject: Z80mu Z-80 Emulator

The best low-cost software to simulate a Z80 in a CP/M environment is
'z80mu', written by Joan Riff.  The version I have is 3.1; the documentation
says that there's a version 5.0 coming out at some point which will be
low-cost commercial and which is said to incorporate v20 support.

To give you an idea of the cp/m compatibility you get, it will run
WordStar for CP/M and also the original Colossal Cave.

You can get it from Simtel20 as pd:<msdos.emulators>z80mu310.arc .
You may be able to get hold of Joan Riff directly at:

            Computerwise Consulting Services
            P.O. Box 813, McLean, VA 22101
            (703) 280-2809

Edward Vielmetti, U-Michigan Computing Center, Ann Arbor MI.
emv@um.cc.umich.edu ; !ihnp4!umix!pepe!emv ; (313) 747-3744

------------------------------

Date:           Thu, 9 Apr 87 12:43:26 PDT
From:           Jim Anderson <bilbo.jta@CS.UCLA.EDU>
Subject:        Patch MASM 4.0 to Write Errors to Stdout

A pet peeve about MASM is that it writes it's error messages to stderr, which
is not easy to redirect.  A patch for version 4.0 that will make *MOST* error
messages go to stdout follows:

 ---------------------------------Cut Here------------------------------------

C>copy \progs\masm.exe masm.xxx
        1 File(s) copied

C>symdeb masm.xxx
Microsoft (R) Symbolic Debug Utility  Version 4.00
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984, 1985.  All rights reserved.

Processor is [80286]
-u 5420
xxxx:5420 B88A14         MOV    AX,148A
xxxx:5423 50             PUSH   AX
xxxx:5424 A1D609         MOV    AX,[09D6]
xxxx:5427 051600         ADD    AX,0016
xxxx:542A 50             PUSH   AX
xxxx:542B 8B1ED609       MOV    BX,[09D6]
xxxx:542F FF7714         PUSH   [BX+14]
xxxx:5432 E8A800         CALL   54DD
-a 5420
xxxx:5420 mov ax,1482
xxxx:5423
-w
Writing 14E3E bytes
-q

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 09 Apr 87 10:50:14 ULG
From:         Andre PIRARD <A-PIRARD%BLIULG12.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: POLYCOPY Disk Duplicator

     POLYCOPY is a 360K 5"1/4 diskette copier on the IBM PC. Its
design focuses on fast repeated bulk copying of that particular
format of diskette. It will be useful for those involved in
software or data distribution. But even if you don't have that
particular need, it is worth trying for curiosity. It makes
diskettes copying the fun of a game.

     I have written this program for a friend who runs a PC
newsletter with public domain programs distribution. I felt it
could help many people in the same or similar situation. So I
decided to put it in the public domain. It can be distributed
freely if not altered and accompanied by its intact documentation
and national languages file(s).

     The standard DISKCOPY was designed for generality, to
perform single copies of various formats with any drive/memory
configuration and take advantage of already formatted diskettes.
However, if one uses the standard DISKCOPY to perform our goal, a
rough 100 seconds, plus diskettes mounting, is needed to complete
each copy. Furthermore, keeping up to this rate requires
permanent operator attention to minimize machine idle time during
diskettes swaps. This causes operator stress on the long range.

     POLYCOPY attains an easy steady 48 seconds per copy with
plenty of non critical time to mount the diskettes. That's 75
copies per hour, compared to 32 for DISKCOPY. This is in fact the
maximum reachable rate. A drive spins at 300 rpm, giving 0.2
second per revolution. Three of them are needed to format, write,
then verify. There are 40 tracks on each side. And 2x40x3x0.2=48.

     This performance was made possible by:
- Of course, reading the source diskette only once.
- Alternating the copies between two drives.
- Careful optimization of disk parameters and operation.
- Clear operation status display without need for any keystroke.
  (diskettes insertions/removals are sensed by the program).

     POLYCOPY will run on an IBM PC, XT or AT (*) with:
- Two 360K drives as A and B, preferably A on top of B.
- 360K+ of free memory after loading a 7K POLYCOPY.
- A CGA or EGA is best. A color monitor/television is preferred.

(*) Or highly compatible with regard to diskette hardware & BIOS.
    By AT, I mean 80286 and AT BIOS. The 1.2 Mb drive is NOT
suitable. Copy time may be only 56" on the AT, due to its BIOS.

POLYCOPY is available from SIMTEL20. Those not knowing it can start with
sending mail to ARCHIVE-REQUEST@SIMTEL20.ARPA stating HELP in the body.
I'll be glad to send the files to anyone requesting them (from BITNET only).
State if you prefer English or French documentation.

Here is the pointer information... and an appreciation:
+++++++
From: Keith Petersen <W8SDZ@SIMTEL20.ARPA>

Now available from SIMTEL20:

Filename            Type     Bytes     CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.DISK-UTIL>
POLYCOPY.ARC.1            BINARY     27008  E5C4H

Thanks for the great program!
--Keith

------------------------------

From: <ggw%dukeac%relay.cs.net@relay.cs.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 87 05:36:04 est
Subject: 9 Track Tape Drive

Anthony Datri's inquiry concerning 9-track magtape drives for the PC
world has several answers.  Our first glance was at the Flagstaff
Engineering ads also; but, we found at least two others.  The best of
the alternatives (meaning that we are in the process of ordering a
product) was Catamount Systems:

	Catamount Systems
	2243 Agate Court
	Simi Valley, CA  93065-1898

Catamount has been around since the late 50's as a supplier of
magtape and other storage systems.  The price list shows alternatives
from $990 interface cable software for industry standard interface
9-track drives up to $9,300 for 6250 GCR
drive cables interface software. The provided software seems to
give enough control that almost any format can be handled.  A decent
summary of the driver was sent to me, and if I had to I think a tar
format reader could be written in (even) BASIC.

Special disclaimer:
we hope to be satisfied customers of Catamount, but no other
conflict-of-interest exists.

Gregory G. Woodbury	ggw@dukeac.UUCP    ....!mcnc!ecsvax!dukeac!ggw
System Manager - dukcds	Center for Demographic Studies, Duke University
2117 Campus Drive; Durham NC  27706

------------------------------

From: rochester!steinmetz!brspyr1!tim@seismo.CSS.GOV (Tim Northrup)
Date: 10 Apr 87 20:02:31 GMT

We have been using the TC-50M controller from Overland Data Inc (ODI)
for over a year now.  We have it connected to a Cipher Microstreamer
1600 bpi drive, and it performs quite well.  It works under both Xenix
(System III and V), and DOS.  It comes with a bunch of utilities for
DOS (none for Xenix, but it works with existing Xenix commands so who
needs more utilities???).

I believe they sell only the controller (we adopted the tape drive from
another group), and at the time we got it was $1350, and well worth it.

	Overland Data, Inc.
	5644 Kearny Mesa Rd
	Suite A
	San Diego, CA  92111		(619) 571-5555
--
Tim Northrup  (aka tim@brspyr1)		Phone: (518) 783-1161
++---------------------------------------------------------++

------------------------------

Date: Fri 10 Apr 87 13:24:05-PDT
From: Bruce Buzbee <BUZ@KL.SRI.COM>
Subject: QUBECALC V2 ON SIMTEL-20

I have transferred version 2 of QubeCalc over to SIMTEL-20.

Filename			Type	 Bytes	 CRC

Directory PD:<MSDOS.SPREADSHEET>
QUBECLC2.ARC.1			BINARY	 98830  22F5H

QubeCalc is a shareware 3D spreadsheet.

Version 2 of QubeCalc includes a complete rework of the QubeCalc interface.
Due to complaints about the awkwardness of entering cell references
as X;Y;Z, the QubeCalc interface was changed to look more like Lotus 1-2-3.

Cell references now look like B3;4, where B3 is the cell and the 4 indicates
which page the cell is in.  In addition, you may ignore typing in the page
number if you are referencing a cell on the same page (this means that most
of the time you can use QubeCalc just like a 2D spreadsheet).  QubeCalc will
automatically fill in the page number for you.

Version 2 is also 5 to 6 times faster than earlier versions of QubeCalc.

Version 2 also includes a program which allows you to import Lotus 1-2-3
files into QubeCalc.

                                      - Bruce

------------------------------

Date: 10 April 87 17:32-EST
From: 26-324%HARVBUS1.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Echo off Default in DOS 3.3

Here is the patch to COMMAND.COM for DOS 3.3 to make echo off the
default. Note that the only difference between this text and the
corresponding instructions for DOS 3.2 is the patch address locations in
memory. My source for the 3.2 patches was volume 5 of INFO-PC).

DEBUG COMMAND.COM

 (to make ECHO OFF the default in batch files, enter the next two lines)

 -E 1D68<cr>
 xxxx:1D68   01.00<cr>

 (to make ECHO OFF the default in AUTOEXEC.BAT, enter the next two
lines.)
 (The DOS 3.2 version of this patch is courtesy of Calvin R. Shields of
  PC Magazine.)

 -E 1304<cr>
 xxxx:1304   03.02<cr>

 -W<cr>
 -Q<cr>

*******************************
END OF PATCH PROCEDURE

Incidentally, can anyone confirm the memory speed of the new PS/2 model
50 and 60? I have heard 150nS, but I have also heard the system has no
wait states. I didn't think it was possible to run 10 mHz with no wait
states on 150nS memory without bending time a bit.

                       Rich Stillman
                       Harvard Business School
                       Bitnet: 26-324 at HARVBUS1
                       ARPA/EDUnet: 26-324%harvbus1.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu

------------------------------

Date:       Fri, 10 Apr 87 16:43:05 bst
From: Steve Gaito <STG%UK.AC.WARWICK.UU@ac.uk>
Subject: ChiWriter Russian Word Processor

The Mathematical/Multi-font word processor that I use is ChiWriter.
It is capable of:
     20 (twenty) different fonts
              (Mathematics, greek, gothic, chemical stick structures,...)
     various graphics boards (Hercules, CGA, ...)
     various dot matrix printers
              (Epson, Star, 9 and 24 pin printers, laser printer(s) ...)
     multiple super/sub-scripting
     footnotes
     headers/footers

Other graphic and printer drivers as well as fonts, if not already available,
can be VERY EASILY produced (i.e: they probably already have been by someone).

I find ChiWriter very easy to learn and use.  It is well worth a try.

It can be obtained from
     HOrstmann Software Design
     P.O. Box 4544
     Ann Arbor, MI 48106

For the price of the disk and postage they will send you a demo disk.  The
total price of the basic system (CGA, EPSON) is about US$80.  The
additional drivers for the Hercules(Tecmar), Laser printer are about US$20
each. The additional font disks are also about US$20 each.

WHILE I DO NOT KNOW THAT ChiWriter HAS A RUSSIAN FONT... I do know that it
would be easy to create one AND Horstmann Software would probably be very
interested in distributing it for(with?) you.

    Steve Gaito

MAIL:   Dept. of Math, Univ. of Warwick, Coventry, CV4 7AL, UK.
BITNET: STG@Euclid.Warwick.AC.UK

------------------------------

Date:     Thu,  9 Apr 87 14:21 +0200
From:     Melnik Yehezkel <SYSYKL%HUJIMD.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  Medical Diagnosis Query

Any information concerning Computerized Medical Diagnosis systems (PD or
commercial) that can run on PC family computers would be welcome.
Thanks Yehezkel. <sysykl@hujimd.bitnet>

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 09 Apr 1987 07:43 PST
From:     PAAAAA7%CALSTATE.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject:  Authoring Programs and VCR Interfacing

A member of our faculty has received a grant to study
the teaching of a course which would use a PC interfaced
to a VCR to present a self-paced audio-visual learning
environment. Does anyone know if such an interface exists?
If so, please send me any details. They also want to use
an authoring program to do the scoring and so forth.
I doubt that a "canned" authoring program would be
suitable, since there would be no way to insert the
hooks necessary to control the VCR functions. Any thoughts?
In the event that a PC-VCR interface doesn't exist, could I
please have your recommendations as to the pros and cons
of some of the more popular courseware-creating programs?
Our eventual goal would be to develop something similar to
an interactive Storyboard.

Rich McGee
Cal State San Bernardino
<PAAAAA7@CALSTATE.EDU>

------------------------------

Date:     Thu, 9 Apr 87 13:59 CDT
From:     "Stever- 45N, 93W, +870 ft." <STEVER%sp.unisys.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject:  Attempting to use /E vdisk on a Sperry XT Clone

Hi, I've got a Sperry XT, 128K on the motherboard, and 2 512K expansion
boards, a Mistubishi which allows block addressing, and a short duplex
board of unknown manufacture.  I'm using the latter to fill in up to 640K,
and I want to run the other as a 512K Vertual disk, and my MS-DOS doesn't
recognize it's existence.  I'm running with DOS level 3.10, version 1.20N
ROM V2.12, HST V2.03, and the VDISK.SYS file that was supplied with that
DOS level.  I've been told that it's likely I don't have a high enough
ROM level. Can this be the case?  Until I can buy a HD, I was banking on
running this Virtual one.

	David Stever
	Unisys, Eagan
	Minnesota

------------------------------

Date: 9 Apr 87   13:44 PDT
From: JMH%SLACVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: MIDI SOFTWARE

Last year there was an article about a MIDI Toolkit available at
reasonable cost from Carnegie Mellon University.
I was wondering if it was still available?

Jim Hodgers
408-287-2324 after 5:00PM PDT

------------------------------

Date:         Thu, 9 Apr 87 20:39 IST
From:  amir toister <J65%TAUNIVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject: 3279  Emulator

A friend of mine is interested in an emulation program for IBM's 3279
on the PC. Any pointers would be appreciated.

Amir Toister
Department of Geophysics and Planetary Sciences
Tel Aviv University
Ramat Aviv
Tel Aviv 69978
ISRAEL

------------------------------

From: ihnp4!ihlpm!dynarski@seismo.CSS.GOV
Date: 9 Apr 87 18:23:51 GMT
Subject: Lattice C Source Level Debugger Wanted

	Does anybody have a very good source level debugger for Lattice
	C which they bought and are satisfied with.  If you would be
	willing to send me the information(dealer, price, ..ect) it would
	be greatly appreciated.  I bought the C-sprite debugger and am
	not happy with it at all.  Thanking you in advance.

Rick Dynarski
UUcp: ...ihnp4!ihlpm!dynarski

------------------------------

Date: Thu 9 Apr 87 23:17:07-CDT
From: PS.DICKMAN@A20.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
Subject: AT and XT Keyboard Timings

     I am writing a program for AT's and XT's that measures the time it
takes people to respond to information on the display.  People respond by
pressing (or releasing) a key.  I am using a timing routine accurate to
about a millisecond.  My problem is that I don't know how much timing
variability there is in the XT and AT keyboards themselves; that is, I
don't know the rate at which the keys are scanned by the keyboard
microprocessor.  Does anyone have this information or know where it can be
found?

     Thanks.

       Scott Dickman, U. Texas at Austin
       ARPANET:  PS.DICKMAN@A20.CC.UTEXAS.EDU
       BITNET:   PSHU665@UTA3081.BITNET

------------------------------

From: munnari!trlluna.oz!tyers@seismo.CSS.GOV (P Tyers)
Date: 9 Apr 87 12:07:17 GMT
Subject: Wanted LOGO to work with EGA

Can anyone help me with pointers to availability of LOGO to work with
an EGA. I purchased DR LOGO which works well but not with EGA's.

IBM LOGO is claimed to be compatible across MGA,CGA,EGA but they want
$A250+ for it. Are there any public domain or realistically priced
LOGO's out there that work with an EGA. Realistic pricing in this
context probably means <75-90 $US when Australias vicious excise on
software is taken into account.

Thanx in advance

P Tyers,	           JANET tyers%trlluna.oz@uk.ac.ucl.cs
ACSnet 	tyers@trlluna.oz   UUCP {seismo,hplabs,ukc}!munnari!trlluna.oz!tyers
CSnet	tyers@trlluna.oz   ARPAnet tyers%trlluna.oz@seismo.css.gov
MAIL: Telecom Australia (Research), P.O. Box 249, Clayton, VICTORIA 3168,AUST

------------------------------

Date:         Fri, 10 Apr 87 13:29:30 MEZ
From:         Erich Neuwirth <A4422DAB%AWIUNI11.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:      Query about 8087-80287

Most probably this question already has been asked and answered on
this list, but anyway: can anybody tell me the "canonical" way of
finding out if the numeric coprocessor exists for PCs, XTs and ATs.
Turbo pascal Source code preferred|

From what I know so far the "questions" to be asked of the machine
are different for these machine types.

Erich Neuwirth
A4422DAB   in    BITNET

------------------------------

Date:     Fri, 10 Apr 87  09:47 EDT
From:     Deba Patnaik <DEBA%UMDC.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu>
Subject:  IBMPC MACINTOSH Question

I have two questions:

     1. Is there any board which will allow me to run MAC software on
        an IBM PC/XT ? vice versa.

     2. Is there any software which can read MACINTOSH floppy disks on
        an IBM PC/XT ? vice versa.

I will appreciate any info. We have some machines in the biotech lab
whose controllers are written for MACINTOSH. We would prefer it to be attached
to our PCs. Thanks.

--deba

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 10 Apr 87 10:00:14 EDT
From: rbthomas@caip.rutgers.edu (Rick Thomas)
Subject: Is there a PC Laptop with an Ethernet Connection

Subject: Is there a laptop with an Ethernet connection

I am looking for a portable PC compatible that has, or can take an
option card that has, an ethernet connection.

I want to use it as a LAN protocol diagnostic tool.  It needs to be as
light as possible, because I will be carting it all over campus
(Lap-top would be ideal -- the difficulty in reading the screens on a
lap-top would not be a problem in this application), and as fast as
possible (8 MHz 286, or better if possible) to avoid loss of packets
in its intended application.

Within reasonable limits, cost is no particular object.

So, does anybody know of a lap-top 286 machine that has card slots?

Please reply by mail or voice phone, as I am not a regular reader of
this list.

Thanks!

Rick Thomas

rbthomas@caip.rutgers.edu    ARPAnet

(201) 932-4301               Voice Phone

------------------------------

Date: 10 April 87 10:01-CST
From: AYAC071%UTA3081.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Subject: Description of IBM DCA & DIA Formats

I am trying to locate references that describe the format & details of
IBM's Document Content Architecture and Document Interchange Architecture
(DCA & DIA).  I would appreciate any references, citations, etc.  Please
reply to me directly & I will summarize for the net.  Thanks

Bill Douglass
AYAC071%UTA3081.BITNET@wisc.wiscvm.edu

------------------------------

Date: 10 Apr 86 14:55 EST
From: C0144%CSUOHIO.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Windows and Missing .SYS Driver

A MS Windows problem that's been keeping me awake at night...

   When I bring up Windows, I find that an IRMA board device driver,
SKDRIVER.SYS, can not be located by the calling program, *even though*
SKDRIVER.SYS was properly set up in the CONFIG.SYS, and loads properly
if Windows is not being run.

   Is Windows swapping out a device driver? Ignoring the memory address
area that SKDRIVER.SYS is loaded into? HELP!!!    -Dave

   From the North Coast      Dave Chatfield, Dept. of Computer Services
   _____   of America...._-! Cleveland State University
  !          ------(*)     ! BITNET: C0144@CSUOHIO
  !          Cleveland     ! ARPA: C0144%CSUOHIO.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
  !                        ! USENET: davec!ncoast.UUCP
  !       O  H  I  O      !  BBS: Assistant Sysop, PC-OHIO 216-381-3320

End of Info-IBMPC Digest
-------