[mod.protocols.kermit] Info-Kermit-Digest V3 #28

SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU (Frank da Cruz) (11/02/85)

Info-Kermit Digest         Fri,  1 Nov 1985       Volume 3 : Number 28

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
	Pascal/VS Kermit/CMS
	7171 Support for IBM Mainframe MUSIC Kermit
	Another Kermit for Intel Micro Development Systems

  MISCELLANY -
	We Are Working on a Robust Kermit for IBM MVS/XA TSO
	7171/Series 1 and Kermit-MS interaction
	Problems with New HP-110 MS-DOS Kermit Support
	Commodore-64 Kermit V1.7

  QUERIES -
	Need Kermit Diskette for IBM PC with Xenix
	Need Kermit 3.5" Diskette for HP-9816
	Need Kermit Diskette for HP-9000/S500 HP-UX System

Date:    Thu, 31 Oct 85 10:06 EST
From:    VIC@QUCDN.BITNET
Subject: Pascal/VS Kermit/CMS

I am sending you an updated source for my Pascal KERMIT/CMS along with an
updated FULLSERV ASSEMBLE file.  The new source will handle some additional
server commands and fixes some minor bugs.  A major bug shows up when using
the old KERMIT source with the newer version of the PASCALVS compiler which
does a more careful checking of strings.  The updated source will correct
this fault.

[Ed. - The files are in KER:CM2*.* on CU20B, available as usual via
anonymous FTP.]

------------------------------

Date: 24 October 1985, 16:58:52 EST
From: SYSBJAV%TCSVM.BITNET@UCB-VAX.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: 7171 Support for IBM Mainframe MUSIC Kermit

Here is a new version of KERMIT for MUSIC (IMUSIC), based on the
Indiana/Purdue original, but with support for the 7171 front end added,
approved by the original author Marie Schriefer at INDYVM.
                                                    J.V.

[Ed. - The files are on CU20B as KER:IMUSIC.*.]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 1 Nov 85 4:21pm EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Another Kermit for Intel Micro Development Systems

This is to announce yet another version of Intel Microcomputer Development
System (MDS) Kermit, for the ISIS operating system, written in PL/M.  It's
an upgrade to the original version, and adds the ability to talk to a Kermit
server (GET, FINISH, BYE, (remote) CWD) and a way to send multiple files
using a special command LSEND that reads the list of files to send from the
specified file.  It was submitted by

  Hanh Tuan Truong
  Leigh Instruments ltd.
  2680 Queensview Dr.
  Ottawa, Ontario
  K2B-8J9 CANADA

The files are in KER:MD2*.* on CU20B.  The MDS*.* files are still there too.
It seems that this new version is based on the original release of MDS
Kermit, which in the interim was updated & fixed at Intel's DSSO department.
If anyone who cares about these systems would care to do a comparitive
review for Info-Kermit, it would be most welcome.  Better still would be an
integration of the two programs into a single one.

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 85 1500 WEZ
From: U02F%CBEBDA3T.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA  (Franklin A. Davis)
Subject: We Are Working on a Robust Kermit for IBM MVS/XA TSO

We have a robust version of Kermit for TSO systems that is adapted from the
CMS Pascal Kermit.

It includes server mode with most of the possible remote commands.  In local
mode you can execute TSO commands from within Kermit.  Coming soon will be
wildcards, though that is tough on an IBM...

MVS and CMS are so different that it will not be possible to have a single
version for both systems.  However, Fritz will be maintaining it for at
least the next couple of years.

Anyone interested in 'Beta test' of TSO kermit, please contact us directly.

-- Fritz & Franklin <U02F@CBEBDA3T.BITNET>
Institut fuer Informatik und angewandte Mathematik
Universitaet Bern
Laenggassstrasse 51
CH-3012  Bern
Switzerland

[Ed. - How about Series/1 (4994, 7171, ...) front-end support?  We're
getting such a proliferation of MVS/TSO IBM mainframe Kermits -- versions in
assembler, Pascal, and PL/I, with and/or without Series/1 support, ...

1. U of Chicago's, based on Columbia's original (primitive) CMS Kermit, only
   for use on line-mode TTYs.

2. U of Toronto's, based on Chicago's but only for use thru Series/1 or 7171.

3. Rice University's, supposedly fancy, in PL/I, but you have to buy their
   support functions from them.

4. University of Maryland is working on yet another completely different,
   fancy TSO Kermit (in assembler?).

5. And now this one.  Not to mention the two versions for VM/CMS; when it
   rains...]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 01 Nov 85 11:05:31 cet
From: PCSC%WUVMD.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
Subject: 7171/Series 1 and Kermit-MS interaction

We have found that our new 7171 protocol converters work much less well for
us than the Series 1 boxes for Kermit file uploading with the newer
generation of IBM-like PCs.  The symptoms are a 7171 hang up when uploading
files from the PC AT or Zenith 158s over 9600 bps direct connect lines.  We
have been using Kermit heavily for about a year, and normally these devices
upload fine, but if the Kermit-MS 2.28 they are running is YAKing faster
than normal due to (1) use of a mono screen (2) use of a faster crystal (3)
use of FANSI-CONSOLE to speed screen writing, then the 7171 hangs in a
pretty big way.  Multiple master resets must be sent to the 7171 to get
session control back again.  If one SETs DEBUG ON in Kermit-MS, then the
time spent writing the packets to a color screen slows things down enough
to work unless FANSI-CONSOLE is in there speeding things up again.  The
evidence is as follows:

Connected through 7171 to Kermit-CMS 2.01:
IBM PC AT, 8mhz, EGA & ECD, with DEBUG OFF --> failure
IBM PC AT, 8mhz, EGA & ECD, with DEBUG ON  --> success
As above w/ FCONSOLE, DEBUG ON or OFF      --> failure
Zenith 158, 8mhz, monochrome, DEBUG ON|OFF --> failure
Zenith 158, 8mhz, color, DEBUG OFF         --> failure
Zenith 158, 8mhz, color, DEBUG ON          --> success

Connected through a Series 1 all of the above succeed.  The SEND PACKET in
all cases was 64 since the 7171's won't work from my AT under any
conditions with a larger size.  The only conclusion I have been able to
draw is that the slow screen writing routines of the color BIOS slow
Kermit-MS down enough such that when DEBUG is ON the YAK packet from
Kermit-MS does not go back until the 7171 is ready.  I assume this is
because the incoming packet is being written to the screen before the YAK
is sent (though I have not checked the Kermit code to verify this).  I am
inferring that the problem is due to the 7171 because (1) it works through
the Series 1 (2) many Master Resets are required to wrest control back, but
conceivably the issue is one of CMS Kermit's control of the 7171 rather
than the box's internals.

Any suggestions or relevant experiences would be appreciated.
Michael Palmer
Washington University Computing Facilites
Bitnet address:  PCSC@WUVMD

------------------------------

Date: 26 Oct 1985 2242-EDT
From: LCG.KERMIT@DEC-MARLBORO
Subject: Problems with New HP-110 MS-DOS Kermit Support

Took the new version of MSXHPX.ASM last night.  Unfortunately, in being
compatible with both the 110 and the PLUS, it develops several problems on
the plus.  In particular:

1. PORT 2 is set to AUX.  On the plus, this is not the INTERNAL MODEM
necessarily, but is the default modem set in the system configurator.  To
insure that the internal modem is used, the PORT selection logic should
select COM3, not AUX.

2. All character output is being sent to the punch via MSDOS PUNOUT call.
This is slow, and, worse, will direct output to AUX even if the serial port
is in use.

3. Minor points: the program starts with even parity and 7 bit words.  This
causes chaos in every situation we tried.

Changes are shown below by giving at least one line before and after each
change.  Would appreciate your forwarding to appropriate authority.

Also, leaving DTR on on the PLUS is not just a nuisance, it is deadly, since
you also leave on the MODEM or SERIAL interface, which eats the battery at
incredible rates.  I have attached to the end of this a short program to
turn those off.  I run KERMIT on the plus from a command file KERMIT.BAT
which contains the following:

	MSXHPX 1%
	MODEMOFF

This guarantees modem/serial port doesn't run down battery.

Mike Mellinger  800-325-0888

Modified MSXHPX follows:

[Ed. - Code omitted, included in KER:MSXHPX.BWR for now; see next message.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 28 Oct 85 23:08:28 mst
From: dwf%b@LANL.ARPA (Dave Forslund)
Subject: Re: Problems with New HP-110 MS-DOS Kermit Support

1. We felt the choice of the AUX port was an advantage because one could
also choose the HP-IL loop RS-232 interface from the PAM without having to
add an additional port in kermit itself.  It is true to use the modem with
Kermit one must have selected it in the PAM.  However, if it is selected
then port 1 is the serial port and port 2 is the modem (or HP-IL RS-232).
Choosing COM3 for the Portable makes the code incompatible with the HP-110.

2. We used this call as it was in the generic Kermit.  We will try this
suggested fix.

3. Our choice of even parity and 7 bit words is what works on our network
here at Los Alamos and avoided us having to have a .ini file to modify the
defaults.  If others like other defaults, so be it.

4. Thanks for the modemoff file.  It will be a big help.

By the way, for this code to work properly on the internal modem in the
HP110 still requires some work, as the modem does not respond
conversationally but requires special ioctl commands to dial, etc.  We have
not pursued this any further.

Dave (dwf@lanl.arpa)

------------------------------

Date: Sat 26 Oct 85 13:05:13-EDT
From: RP0Q@TD.CC.CMU.EDU
Subject: Commodore-64 Kermit V1.7
To: remarks@TD.CC.CMU.EDU

Kermit 1.7 for the Commodore 64 is completely non-functional.  There is a
bug in the VT52 emulation routines which crashes the program every time I
attempt to use Emacs.  This same bug crashes the program whenever I try to
send or receive a file, since the current packet, number of packets sent,
etc, are displayed on the screen using the same routines.  Does a quick fix
exist for this problem, or do I have to wait for the next version of Kermit
for the problem to be fixed.  As it stands, Kermit 1.7 is completely useless
for file transfer.  HELP!!!!

				Roger Preisendefer
				RP0Q @ CMU-CC-TD

[From Eric <LAVITSKY@BLUE.RUTGERS.EDU> - C64 Kermit-65 V1.7 works fine at
300 baud or 1200 baud.  There are no bugs in the VT52 emulation, and no
'serious' (or well known) bugs in the file transfer routines.  Chances are
this person did not download the files correctly to his C64 - I use Kermit
with Emacs extensively and send files all the time with much sucess.  I
suggest that this person send away to Robert Lenoil for a C64 Kermit
diskette -- 229 Commonwealth Ave, Boston MA 02116 -- $7.00 incl postage.]

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 29 October 1985 07:30:30 EST
From: Duvvuru.Sriram@cive.ri.cmu.edu
Subject: Need Kermit Diskette for IBM PC with Xenix

I would like to have a kermit on my IBM PC running under Xenix (and
talk to the MS-DOS PC).  Where can I get a copy of one?

Sriram

------------------------------

Date: Tue 29 Oct 85 14:28:43-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Need Kermit 3.5" Diskette for HP-9816

Marilyn Evans, Polaroid Corp, Cambridge MA, 617-577-3662 or -2262, needs
Kermit for the HP-9816.  She thinks the HP-Pascal version that was written
for the 9836 a while back might work.  Could anyone send it to her on a
3.5" diskette so she can try it out?  Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Tue 29 Oct 85 11:39:33-PST
From: David Liu <DLIU@SU-SIERRA.ARPA>
Subject: Need Kermit Diskette for HP-9000/S500 HP-UX System

Is there anyone ever installed and run Kermit on HP-9000/500 computer (which
runs HP-UX)?  This is what I am trying to do and may save me some of the
efforts if I can get some advise.

Dave Liu@SIERRA-SU

[Ed. - Again, the best thing would be for someone to send him a diskette.
Any volunteers?  (Contact Dave directly)]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------