Date: Wed 20 Nov 85 18:44:10-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: BITNET Things

Due to a change that was made in CU20B's host tables some time between Oct 24
and Oct 29, Info-Kermit mail destined for BITNET was lost.  The affected
issues were V3, Numbers 27, 28, and 29.  The problem is now fixed.  I will
remail these three issues to all the BITNET members after this issue goes out.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Speaking of BITNET, those who access the Kermit file collection via the
BITNET Kermit file server, KERMSRV at CUVMA, may have noticed two things, one
good, one bad: (a) the KERMSRV server itself has been behaving a lot better
lately, and (b) the Kermit files have not been updated in several weeks to
reflect recent announcements.  (a) is because our IBM systems folks have
been working on KERMSRV, mostly in an effort to reduce network overhead by
queuing files according to length, discarding duplicated requests etc.  An
announcement about exactly what was done should appear shortly.  In the
meantime, send the HELP command to KERMSRV to learn about any changes or
new commands.  (b) is because the person who used to keep the BITNET area up
to date has changed jobs and has not been replaced yet; I hope the situation
will be remedied soon.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 20 Nov 85 18:44:10-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Kermit Over Public Networks?

I know this has been hashed over before several times in the past, but I'd
like the gather all the relevent information together into one place
(the Kermit book)...  What experiences have people had using Kermit over
the public networks?  These include Tymnet, Telenet, Uninet, Datapac,
Transpac, Datex-P, and all the ones I don't even know about.  Here's a short
questionnaire:

Name of Network (spelled and capitalized as the vendor prefers):

Company or Organization that "owns" it:

Country or Area covered:

What are the characteristics and peculiarities of the network?  Sacred
characters, delay, transmission wakeup (does a Kermit packet correspond to
a network packet?), etc...

Could you make Kermit file transfer work at all?  If not, what was the fatal
impediment?  If so, what tricks were necessary?  These include SET commands
to Kermit itself (for parity, packet length, retry threshold, timeout, flow
control, handshake, etc; what particular parameters and values are necessary?),
and commands to the network (the local or remote node or PAD).

If anyone would like to answer the same questions as they apply to RS-232
connections through local area networks -- Sytek, DEC LAT, etc -- please do.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. And thanks to all those who responded to my previous questionnaire about
computer file systems and communications -- I learned about Honeywell/MULTICS;
Sperry 1100/OS 1100; HP-1000 (partly); PDP-11/RT/RSX/RSTS/POS; UCSD p-System;
Prime/Primos; Os9.  Any more out there?  HP-3000?  Data General?  CDC?  Cray?
Gould?  Perkin-Elmer?  PDP-8?  Burroughs?  Honeywell GCOS?  Lisp Machine?  Etc?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 14 Nov 85 02:18:55 -0100
From: hans@oslo-vax (Hans A. ]lien)
Subject: Kermit for the HP-87?

Kermit for Hewlett Packard Series 80 is needed by a colleague.
A version working on the CP/M-extension card would also be of some help...

------------------------------

Date: Thu 14 Nov 85 11:39:37-EST
From: Michael Fuchs <EXT1.FUCHS@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: MVS/TSO Kermit with Protocol Converter?

Does anyone have any experience using either the U of Chicago or the
U of Toronto MVS/TSO Kermit in the following enviroment (or similar):

	AMDAHL V8470
	MVS/SP3 (will have MVS/XA)
	using TSO
	through protocol converter (asynch to SNA) to COMTEN

Any tips, assurances, bewares, "no problem, pal"'s, or "won't work"'s
gratefully appreciated.

Michael Fuchs
Coefficient Systems Corp.

[Ed. - If the protocol converter is a Series/1 or equivalent running the
Yale ASCII Communication system or equivalent, then the Toronto version
should do the trick.  Other sites are reportedly adding support for additional
protocol converters to MVS/TSO or VM/CMS Kermit or both.  Again, recall that
this can only be done for those protocol converters that all the host to
put them in transparent (pass-through) mode and take them out again.]

------------------------------

Date: 12 Nov 85 01:52:34 GMT
From: Yosef Gold <ihnp4!aecom!gold@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Subject: Kermit for Tandy 6000?

I am looking for the tandy 6000 version of Kermit.  The Tandy is running
Xenix.  I have no way to load it off tape.  The ideal would be either a
floppy or email.

	  Yosef Gold
	  ...{ihnp4,rocky2,philabs,esquire,cucard,pegasus,spike}!aecom!gold

------------------------------

Date: 20 November 1985, 17:08:08 MEZ
From: Eberhard W. Lisse <ZDV626@DJUKFA11.BITNET>
Subject: Cromix Kermit???

Has anybody got a net-adress for the

           Losinger, AG in Berne/Switzerland

who are according to a rumor ( AAWAIT HLP on CUVMA.BITNET ) working
on an implementation for CROMIX?

As I am based in Germany a surface mail adress would do as well.

Also does anybody know about an implementation for an ICL 2900 under TME ?

Thanks in advance,

el

Eberhard W. Lisse  <zdv626%djukfa11.bitnet%wiscvm.arpa>
                   <psuvax1.uucp!djukfa11.bitnet!zdv626>

End of Info-Kermit Digest

-------