[mod.protocols.kermit] Info-Kermit Digest V3 #32

SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU (Frank da Cruz) (12/06/85)

Info-Kermit Digest         Thu,  5 Dec 1985       Volume 3 : Number 32

Departments:

  ANNOUNCEMENTS -
	New MS-DOS Kermit Available for Evaluation
	VT-220 .INI File for MS-DOS Kermit

  MISCELLANY -
	Forthcoming NIH TSO Kermit
	Apple Kermit Problem
	Fix for Apple Kermit Problem
	Os9 Kermit on Os9/68000
	Xenix Kermit Modem Control
	MULTICS Kermit?
	Professional 350 Kermit w/o Hard Disk?
	HP 9836 Kermit Diskette Needed
	Osborne 1 SD Kermit Diskette Needed
	Kermit Praises and Uses

Date: Thu 5 Dec 85 15:55:21-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: New MS-DOS Kermit Available for Evaluation

I have the following letter from Joe R. Doupnik, Professor, Center for
Atmospheric and Space Sciences, Utah State University:

The enclosed tape ... holds an updated version of Kermit for MS-DOS
microcomputers.  This version is based on your MS-DOS Kermit 2.28 [the
current version]... and is identified internally as "version 2.28 jrd".
The updates include full DOS 2.0 file support thoughout, a nearly complete
set of advanced server functions, much cleaned up displays (Help, Status,
Set, etc), a much better file renaming algorithm, and quite a few bug
fixes.  All of the problems known [in 2.28 as of August 85] have been fixed
and some unreported ones were as well.  Internally the code has been
strengthened and cleaned up generally.

Kermit 2.28 jrd was built for IBM PC clones (a Zenith 151 here) and for
generic machines (I have one like this using a terminal and it is not at
all close to an IBM PC).  However, my updates affect the modules common to
all versions, [and there are also minor changes to] MSXIBM and MSYIBM.
There is a READ.ME file as well.

[End of letter.]  I have put these files in a special place on CU20B,
PS:<KERMIT-MS>*.*, available on the Internet via anonymous FTP.  I only
received the source files, but I built a version on the Rainbow, which (so far)
seems to work just fine.  The file names are the old ones, not the new
consistent ones (see KER:MSAAAA.HLP).  Since the people who used to take care
of MS-DOS Kermit here have quit, I am inclined to make this the new base
version.  It seems to be better than July-vintage 2.28 in all respects, but I'd
appreciate it if people could check it on different machines to verify this,
including the IBM family (with various graphics adapters), the Wang PC, the
HP-150 and 110, TI Pro, NEC APC, etc, and report back as to whether it would
be a good idea to switch to this version (and point me at an .EXE and/or
.BOO file).  The PS:<KERMIT-MS> directory includes 8-bit binary .OBJ files
(assembled with MASM 1.10 on the Rainbow) and MSVRB1.EXE, the 8-bit binary
Kermit .EXE file for the Rainbow.  The binary files are *.OBJ, *.EXE; the
text files are *.ASM, *.H, *.ME.

I still have a version of MS-Kermit laying around that has built-in VT100
(102?) emulation, but it's based on 2.27, and the emulation only works on the
IBM PC family, but effects all the others.  I figure we'd better first get a
clean base to work from, and then worry about how to add new stuff to it.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Dec 85 18:17:58 pst
From: Joel West <westjw%frog@nosc.ARPA>
Subject: VT-220 .INI File for MS-DOS Kermit

I'm not the original author, but I'm told that if this is made
the KERMIT.INI for MS-DOS kermit on the Rainbow, it will make the
keyboard act like that of a DEC VT-220.

You might wish to include it in the FTP directory at Columbia-20.

	Joel West	CACI, Inc. - Federal
	westjw@nosc.ARPA
	{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!noscvax!westjw

[Ed. - It's in KER:MSIVT2.INI, the author is listed as Ken Bass
<bass_kr@nosc-turtle.arpa>]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Dec 85  19:46 EST
From: RAF@UMDC
Subject: Forthcoming NIH TSO Kermit

I would like to correct an error that appeared in a recent Info-Kermit.
It is not the University of Maryland that is doing a TSO KERMIT, but
rather the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland.
The confusion most likely arose because my BITNET mailing address is at
the University of Maryland until we get our BITNET connection running.
A description of our TSO KERMIT follows:

I spoke to you about our KERMIT on the phone some time ago.  It is based
on the University of Chicago TSO KERMIT, but we have really ripped it
apart - so it wouldn't be recognizable.  I spoke to Ron Rusnak about it
before we started development.  He said that they had no plans to do any
further development and planned to go to the Rice TSO KERMIT.  I tried
to get a copy of that KERMIT, but they were unwilling to send me one at
that time (but did later for $75).  Since we were unwilling to wait some
unspecified period of time just to look at the Rice KERMIT, we went ahead
with our plans.  Our TSO KERMIT has server mode, CRC, wildcard send and
receive, ability to issue TSO commands, timeout (without polling),
compression, 8th bit quoting, optional tab removal on upload, optional tab
insertion on download, support for NIH WYLBUR edit format, a SET
VOLUME command, binary file support, handling of line errors that
generate a break signal, multiple records per packet, handling of lines
500 or more characters long.  We also plan support for PDS members
and are reworking the help info to make it more helpful.  Another item
is an interface to the TSO CLIST facility for KERMIT command lists.
I'm no expert on CMS, but I'm not sure that TSO and CMS aren't different
enough to make separate programs the most reasonable way to go.  An awful
lot of the program is concerned with the system interface rather than the
KERMIT protocol.  Anyway, ours is almost done.  We will make it available
to you when it is finished

Roger Fajman
National Institutes of Health
(301) 496-5181
RAF@UMDC.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Saturday, 23 November 1985  17:07-MST
From: Jeff Hollingsworth <hollings%cory@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>
Subject: Apple Kermit Problem

I am having trouble using kermit to transfer files between an Apple
IIe, and UNIX. When I try to send files from UNIX to my Apple, all
occurences of the "&" (ascii 38) character are removed.  This happens
in both the image and text mode.  However, all goes ok when I transfer
a file from the Apple TO UNIX.  Does anyone have an idea what is
happening?  The Apple has a Super Serial card if that helps.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Hollingsworth	UUCP:   ucbvax!cory!hollings
			ARPA:   hollings%cory@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU
			AT&T:   (415) 653-3723

[Ed. - See next message.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 27 Nov 85 15:18:06 PST
From: Bruce_Jolliffe%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Fix for Apple Kermit Problem

In this message I've enclosed an update to your Apple Kermit program.
Versions 2.0 and 2.1 of the program do not handle eighth bit quoting
correctly. A student, Sam Lam, who was working for me during the
summer found the error. Below is the correction.

In the procedure Rpar three operands have to be changed from "rparrt"
to "rpar8" as indicated by the arrows.

                        -- Bruce Jolliffe

[Ed. - Thanks!  Code omitted, added to KER:APPLE.BWR.]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 4 Dec 85 15:05:39-PST
From: Bob Larson <BLARSON%ECLD@USC-ECL.ARPA>
Subject: Os9 Kermit on Os9/68000

The current version of os9 kermit can't be compiled by the current version
of os9/68k C (1.3) because "remote" is a reserved word.  (What version of
os9/68k C introduced this "feature"?)  Even after this problem is solved,
kermit doesn't work properly.  I'll be fixing this asap.  (I now have a
QT+ 68000 system.)

Bob Larson
Arpa: Blarson@Usc-Ecl.Arpa
Uucp: ihnp4!sdcrdcf!oberon!blarson

[Ed. - This message added to KER:OS9KER.BWR.]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 25 Nov 85 17:10:21-EST
From: Yoram Eisenstadter <Yoram@CS.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Xenix Kermit Modem Control?

I'm trying to bring up Unix Kermit on my PC/AT running XENIX, but
I'm having difficulties.

I got ahold of the source, and compiled everything successfully using
"make xenix".

First problem: the machine hung when I tried to do a "set line /dev/tty00".
I was able to do a set line only after saying "set modem-dialer hayes",
even though I have a direct connection and not a modem.

2nd problem: after set line, I did a "set speed 9600".  Then I did a connect.
Kermit immediately came back with the message "Communication Disconnect",
and returned me to the C-Kermit> prompt.

I know that the hardware is O.K.  I use the same communication port with
MSKERMIT under DOS, and it works just fine (I'm using it now...)
I was also able to use the port (/dev/tty00) from Unix with the "cu"
command, by saying "cu -s 9600 -l /dev/tty00 dir".

What am I doing wrong?

[Ed. - See next message...]

--------------------

Date: Wed Nov 27 12:10:47 1985
From: Herm Fischer <hermix!fischer@rand-unix.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Xenix kermit difficulties

Ahh, the saga of carrier detect, clear to send, and data set ready continues...

If you fire up kermit, when you do a set modem-dialer, you place kermit into
the "clocal" (ignore carrier detect absence) state.  If you fire up kermit on
a direct connection without a modem, then be sure carrier detect is present
on the pins of the cable before firing kermit up.

I suggest purchasing one of those widget connectors with the led's which
goes between the rs232 cable and the computer to see which signals are present.
Often on direct connections, it is common to hot-wire carrier detect to some
other signal to get it to come up.  If you're on a LAN, then there might
be a LAN option to raise the carrier signal...

Your communications disconnection message comes from the UNIX operating
system notifying kermit that the carrier signal has dropped!  Same problem.

cu may override the "clocal" flag; I haven't looked at its code.  kermit
cannot override that flag because it must know when a remote modem hangs
up, lest it tie up a system or hang it...

  Herm Fischer
  HFischer@isif.arpa; {ihnp4, decvax, randvax}!hermix!fischer

[Ed. - Herm not only wrote the Xenix modem support in C-Kermit, but he
also uses it all the time -- an existence proof that it works.]

------------------------------

Date:  Fri, 29 Nov 85 12:24 EST
From:  Wiedemann@RADC-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject:  MULTICS Kermit

I have recently moved to Maui and been out of touch with my usual
MULTICS machine for about two months.  In that time, a new release of
the operating system was installed.  This came with KERMIT.  The new
KERMIT does not respond to my PC KERMIT, even though I have successfully
used this repeatedly with the previous version of MULTICS KERMIT.  I
have made every effort to ensure that the file parameters match at both
ends.

Could the fact that I'm now using a TAC have something to do with it?
Transfer has failed both ways using either an ASCII or binary file.

Anyone have a systematic approach to a solution??  I'd appreciate the
help as Maui is a veritable computer "wasteland"!

Wolf Wiedemann RADC-MULTICS

[Ed. - TACs are always a pain.  But I also keep hearing about all these
different versions of MULTICS Kermit that are in use "out there" that I
have never seen personally, so it might just as likely be the culprit.
Anybody care to clear up the MULTICS Kermit confusion?  Which is the
"real" one, and where does it come from?]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 2 Dec 85 17:20:32 EST
From: Chris_Moore%UB-MTS%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Professional 350 Kermit w/o Hard Disk

  I presently use Kermit on my Digital Pro-350, however I don't have a
hard disk on this system thus it operates as a Pro-325.  While Kermit
functions just fine with the obvious exception on interfacing with the
other utilites which it expects on disk, I can not get kermit to retain
its communications settings so it ALWAYs uses the defaults.
  The problem seems to be that Kermit wants to store its settings in
a file somewhere, but I can't figure out what that file is named or
where it is supposed to be;  if I could, then I could create it and
suspect all would be fine!
  --chris

------------------------------

Date: Thu 5 Dec 85 08:44:31-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: HP 9836 Kermit Diskette Needed

If anybody has HP9836 Kermit on a diskette and is willing to send a copy
to someone who can't get it any other way, please call Steve Masticola
at RCA, Somerville NJ, 201-685-6594, collect if desired.  And if you're
willing to send Steve a disk, how about also sending one to the HP98x6
user group (is there such a thing?) so they can handle these requests?

------------------------------

Date: Thu 5 Dec 85 11:27:12-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Osborne 1 SD Kermit Diskette Needed

I got a letter from Norway that was addressed like this:

	Columbia University
	Columbia, USA

It actually, came to me...  Somebody in Norway figured out that CU was in
New York, and then somebody at Columbia opened it up and saw the word Kermit
in it...  Anyhow, this guy lost his only copy of Kermit because of a power
hit, and can't find a single-density copy of it anywhere in Norway.  If some
kind soul would send one to

	Einar
	Norway

I'm sure he'd appreciate it.  Just kidding, his full address is

	Einar Fredriksen
	Edvard Griegsvei 34
	N-5037 Solheimsvik
	NORWAY

Thanks!

------------------------------

Date: Thu 5 Dec 85 13:46:34-EST
From: Chris Lent <OC.PEDHEM@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Kermit Praises and Uses

KERMIT in the trenches:
	We've been using KERMIT down at Cooper Union quite a bit.
(We're at 3rd Ave and East 8th Street).
After I bought a copy of the tapes,  I put it on our systems
down at Cooper.  These are:
	VAX 11/780 VMS 4.2
	ATT 3b5 System V UNIX R 2.0.211
	PDP-11/45 UNIX V6 (plus)	! This took a good bit of work
	PDP-11/23 UNIX V6 (plus-more)	! Same as 11/45
	IBM-PC's, and PC-Jr's PC-DOS 2.0,2.1,3.0,3.1
	ATT 6300 (Very IBM compatible AND FAST!!!)
	Apple Mac's ! The VT102 emultator comes in very handy.
	Intel Blue Boxes "MDS-80" (ISIS-II)(8" Floppy only)
		! We transfered this via a block-by-block copy
		! from our VAX RX01 Console Floppy
	Intel 310's	! DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT BUYING THESE TURKEYS!!!!
		! The 310's run MS-DOS BADLY (We had to write drivers
			for the serial port and winchester that Intel put in!!)
		! Intel also foists IRMX-86 on you (Everyone needs an
			archaric multi-user Operating System on a
			machine that one person uses?)
		! Kermit is having a hard time here only because the
		! port drivers still are bug-infested. We tend to
		! transfer to an IBM-PC and take the MS-DOS floppy
		! and read that instead.
	Intel 380's ! BIGGER Multi-User TURKEYS!!
		! Intel hasn't managed to port MS-DOS to these yet!!!!

Now we do a multitude of daily and regular transfers like:
STUDENT USE:
	    Student archiving of programs.  This works wonderfully as
	we don't have to hunt through age-old backups for their stuff.
	It also has the added benefit that if the programs are written
	portably in 'C', Fortran, Pascal or Basic, they can do development
	work on PC's and other micros around the school or at home.
	The archiving is done at local PC's. This is necessary as our
	money for dialin facilities is limited and our computers are
	brought down each night because the building is closed.

	    Students talking to FIDO bulletin board systems from home.
	This way they can get the latest shareware utlities.

	    Students talking to each other's systems.  One interesting
	case is a lab group where the guy with the MAC did the diagrams,
	and printed the final version of the paper while another
	member typed the paper on his IBM. The third member
	proof-read the text on his Commodore-64.  Let's hear it for
	two wonderful standards: ASCII and KERMIT!!!!

COURSE AND PROJECT USE:
	    Sending GTSTRUDL plotting files from our VAX to the 11/45
	where our CALCOMP plotter is.  This lets our civil engineers
	make giant plots of their structures and how they will deform
	under load.

	    Sending Digitized maps and data from the 11/45 to IBM-PC's and
	the VAX. There a lot of this.  The students in the CAD/CAM
	course have to design a simple packeage and many of them
	digitize their intial shape library on the 11/45 before moving
	them to the final machine.

	    Sending sample bitmapped image data from RT-11 format tapes
	read in on our VAX to Intel 380's for work in developing medical
	imaging systems.

MORE STUDENT USE:
	    Sending and receiving programs under development from grad and
	undergrad students machines out at Bell Labs (and AT&T clones) for
	course work (complier design, programming languages, data structures,
	and of course the infamous Master's thesis).  Bell Labs
	machines at Whippany, Homdel, and Parsippany get the new
	versions from us as we get them from you.  Once Kermit'ed
	to a Usenet machine, the programs flow over Usenet to the
	apporiate machines.  Most times they just type
		% make sys3
	or the make for Berkley 4.2 and the Kermit works perfectly
	right away.  Many times the user DOESN'T know what type of
	machine he's running on (VAX, 3bx or whatever) and it STILL
	works well even though the "RIGHT" version wasn't used.
	    The first version when over via the UNIX 'cu'(CALL UNIX)
	utility which talked through the VAX's modem via KERMIT in CONNECT mode.
	After fixing up the transmission errors,  we compiled it and
	got a reliable version of KERMIT via our 'cu'ed version.

FACULTY USE:
	The faculty computer program.  Professor's develop programs
	at home that the students use in their classes on the main
	computers.  The number of these programs we support now is getting
	huge.

	Faculty work on remote machines in places like Texas and Califonia.
	Usually they have older versions of KERMIT, so we ship a new
	version to our faculty member's account via the old KERMIT
	and then tell the remote staff where to find it for system-wide
	installation.

	And even more every day.

It seems like every third word out of my mouth is KERMIT.
My policy is now whenever someone has a machine or an account on
a machine which doesn't have KERMIT, we find some way of moving
KERMIT to them.  I must admit I thought the demand would be large
but it just seems to be growing in leaps and bounds.

The thing is that I've learned about so many strange operating
systems while installing KERMIT, but I rarely (once a month)
have to examine individual KERMIT packets when porting a new
KERMIT version.

We just seems to be trashing more old file transfer programs
every day.  It doesn't matter if they we purchased or hacked
together,  KERMIT is in general better and makes MUCH more
sense to maintain.  We usually keep the old one around until
we figure out how to send strange file formats (VMS is famous
for these.)

Well, I'll keep KERMITing the rest of the Universe.

				Thanks,
				Chris Lent
				Care of:
				OC.PEDHEM@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU
				(VAXmail) CUPHOA::LENT
(I'm working on tailoring utilities and EUNICE for them up here)

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------