Date: Wed 11 Dec 85 10:13:20-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: MS-DOS Kermit 2.28 jrd Not on BITnet

version of MS-DOS Kermit 2.28, I'm sorry to say I can't put it on BITnet
just yet, for a variety of reasons which are too complicated to explain.
It looks as though this version will wind up replacing the current one --
one or two minor bugs need fixing, plus checkout is still required on the
Wangs, HP's, NECs, etc -- and at that time it will replace the current
version on BITnet.

I'm also sorry I mentioned the MS-DOS Kermit 2.27 that had VT100 support
added to it.  In response to numerous requests for it, let me just say that
in order to avert utter chaos, I would prefer to get the fixed 2.28
installed as the standard, base version, and then call for volunteers to
take the VT100 support and fit it into the new base version.  If we don't do
it that way, we'll have multiple proliferating divergent versions of the
program which will be impossible to support.  Those of you who whose phone
doesn't ring 500 times a day with MS-Kermit questions might not appreciate
why this is important, so you'll just have to take my word for it.

Once again, I apologize for the reduced level of support for MS-DOS Kermit
and the BITnet Kermit files.  Like I said before, it's because the people
who used to take care of these things have left Columbia.  They will be
replaced, but I can't say when.  Soon, I hope.

------------------------------

Date: Tue 10 Dec 85 18:02:07-EST
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: MS-DOS Kermit 2.28 jrd Bug with X Packets

First real bug -- if you send a generic command to a server which the server
does not support, and it sends back an error packet (which is the proper
behavior for servers under the circumstances), then the next file sent by
MS-DOS Kermit has its name in an X packet rather than an F packet, which of
course the server is not prepared to handle.  MS-DOS Kermit is apparently
setting its "X flag" in anticipation that the generic command will elicit a
X packet or a data-bearing ACK from the server, and then not resetting it
when the transaction is terminated by an error.  In fact, it should not set
this flag until such a response actually occurs, and it should reset the
flag at the beginning of each transaction.  Reportedly, the same behavior
crops up randomly (not reproducibly) at other times.

Thanks also to others who reported this problem.  If anybody develops a fix
(it should be real simple, something like setting the X-Flag to 0 at the top
of the command loop), please send it in.

------------------------------

Date: 9 Dec 85 08:57:00 PST
From: ALEX WOO <wu@ames-aero>
Subject: Bug Report on MS-DOS Kermit 2.28 jrd on 18MHz PC/AT

The new MS-DOS kermit seems to work fine on a 4.77MHz PC but it coughs on a
18MHz PC AT with the error message
	"? Not enough memory to run kermit"
The PC AT has about 2MB of memory.

[Ed. - Beats me, anybody have any ideas?  Doesn't sound like anything that
would involve timing loops...  Do all your other programs work on your
souped up AT???  Does the old Kermit?]

Also, if there a Makefile for the MS-DOS version of Kermit, perhaps using
one of the Info-IBMPC makes.

[Ed. - There isn't, sorry.  Does anyone know if there is a "make" that will
support command line arguments, so you can say "make ibm", "make rainbow",
"make tipc", etc?  If so, which one is it, where is it?]

Alex.

------------------------------

Date: Mon 9 Dec 85 04:18:07-EST
From: Joe Smith (415)794-2512 <LSM.SMITH@MARLBORO.DEC.COM>
Subject: Suggestion for MS-DOS 2.29

If you do plan to use MSKERMIT 2.28 jrd as the basis of the next release of
MS-DOS KERMIT, please add "SET TERMINAL mumble" and "SET DTR mumble" to the
system independent code.  Define dummy entry points in all the system
dependent modules so they can parse "mumble" or say "not implemented".  Then
the developers could add system specific arguments to these commands, such
as:

	SET TERMINAL NO-WRAPAROUND
	SET TERMINAL WIDTH 132
	SET TERMINAL ID VT125
	SET DTR ON
	SET DTR OFF
	SET DTR HANGUP-ON-EXIT

We need a general way to get to system-specific functions thru KERMIT's
command scanner.

/JMS

[Ed. - These sound like useful hints for whoever is going to volunteer to
fit the VT100 support into 2.28 jrd.]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Dec 85 01:23 EST
From: Larry Afrin <lbafrin%clemson.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: Minor Mod to New MS-DOS Kermit

The new MS-DOS Kermit (jrd's rewrite/mod of 2.28) has a minor problem when
it invokes COMMAND.COM to do stuff like TYPEing out files, DELeting files,
running CHKDSK, and RUNning any other program: when you type in the command
line in response to the "Kermit>" prompt, and then hit Enter, only a
carriage return is echoed.  No line feed.  This means that the first line of
output (either from COMMAND.COM or from the program loaded in by
COMMAND.COM) overwrites the "Kermit>" prompt and the command you typed.
Trivial, I admit, but aesthetically displeasing.  I made the following mod
in the location of the "run3" label in the MSKERM.ASM module in
PS:<KERMIT-MS> to output the needed line feed.

[Ed. - I've appended your code to the MSKERM.BWR file, but I can't reproduce
the problem, either on a PC/AT or a Rainbow.]

Other than this minor problem, I haven't found anything wrong yet with
jrd's version.  I'm running PC-DOS 3.10 on a plain vanilla PC.

Still waiting for a VT100 emulator to replace the Heath-19, though... (hey,
we can dream, can't we?)

[Ed. - Yes, but can we volunteer?]

P.S.  I'm running MASM version 1.00 (from the Dark Ages of 1981), and in
order to get the segments in the right order for the linker, I had to change
all references to segment name STACK to segment CTACK.  These references are
in modules MSKERM.ASM (4 references) and MSXDMB.ASM (2 references).  If you
don't make this change, the machine winds up taking a long walk off a short
pier when you hit Control-] C to come back from on-line mode to command
mode.

[Ed. - Anyone else have this problem?  I assembled the files with Microsoft
MASM 1.10 (1981,82) using no switches, and not renaming any segments, and
the result worked fine.  Also, has anybody ever heard of the /DOS switch
that Joe mentioned in his letter?]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 6 Dec 85 01:25:39-EST
From: Peter G. Trei <OC.TREI@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Apple-II Kermit Bugs

In reference to Sam Lam and Bruce Jolliffe's fix for the Apple ][ Kermit's
8th bit quoting bug, here is a way to install it in version 2.1a without
doing another download. I have not yet had the opportunity to perform
thorough checking and testing of this fix, so be cautious!

[This patch only works for version 2.1a]
Make a copy of your kermit-65 disk.
Boot with the new disk.
Enter the following DOS commands:

] UNLOCK KERMIT
] BLOAD KERMIT
] POKE 17303,35
] POKE 17317,21
] POKE 17329,9
] POKE 17399,194
] DELETE KERMIT
] BSAVE KERMIT,A$801,L$4E9B

As soon as I have finished checking this fix, I will ask Frank to put the
updated source and hex files into the download area on CU20B for
distribution. This may be related to the bug that strips out '&' on
reception of files.

							Peter Trei
							oc.trei@cu20b

------------------------------

Date:  Fri, 6 Dec 85 17:20 EST
From:  "John C. Klensin" <Klensin@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject:  Multics Kermit

As of approximately now, the 'real' Multics kermit is the one with which
problems were reported in V3#32.  It is a version created at Calgary and
being distributed with the system and supported by Honeywell (it is,
consequently, unlikely to be released to the Columbia archives).

It supports many options that the various older versions and kludges do not,
incluing server mode, 8th-bit-quoting, etc., and is structured much more
like other Multics commands that do similar things, such as the Internet FTP
command.  Its default option settings, however, tend to be a little more
optimized for Multics<->Multics transfers over X.25 and dial circuits than
for PC->Multics or Internet TAC use.  Users with problems should probably
bug Honeywell over conventional channels, as this is a supported product.

Does that help?

[Ed. - I guess.  Columbia, by the way, has never received this version of
Multics Kermit.  I suppose if all Multics sites get it automatically, no
harm is done.]

End of Info-Kermit Digest
-------